Chapter 8

Hello, Stranger!

SMILE►

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

"Where are you going?" he asked. He was dressed in a casual outfit and had a couple of bread crumbs stuck in his mouth. 

"Lunch. I promised Chanyeol a meal today remember?"

"Ah, then...." He put down the bread on the table and shortly combed his dull hair with his fingers. "Let's go together."

"W-Whaaat---" I answered, pissed off.

"I think my hand is okay so might as well go to the hospital and take the cast out."

"Tch. Alright." I hopped off and he followed.

 

-Stranger's POV-

"Let's separate here." We stopped at the sidewalk. "You take the bus to the hospital and I'll have the taxi, 'kay?"

I nodded.

"Alright. Make sure to be home not until dark." She disappeared while riding the taxi she just waved at.

 

 

I reached Dongguk hospital after a 10 minute bus ride. I approached the receptionist and asked for Doctor Lee Qri.

"Dr Lee is currently unavailable sir. She's in an important surgical operation. May you wait sir?"

"I understand. Yes, I will wait in the lobby." I turned my back and went to sit in the lobby where several patients were also waiting. Unknowingly, I sat beside a pale girl in a white hospital dress. Near her was a dextrose stand from which I observed, was connected to her wrist. She slightly glanced at me as I sat down. I gave off a faded smile.

It was only a few minutes when I felt boredom seep in.

When will be that 'important operation' ever be finished? 

I calmly observed the people as they walked in and out of the hospital. I even witnessed emergency situations and what kind of panic it brings to the hospital staff. My eyes were so busy were so busy wandering that I failed to notice that an hour passed already. I looked around and figured out that the people staying in the lobby are decreasing. It was only me and that girl beside me that never moved an inch.

Now that I remember... I glanced at the girl once again and... 

"Aaaaaaack!"

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

"So you really cancelled all your meetings today?" I asked.

"Of course! It's like a strike to the moon to hear you invite me to a meal." Chanyeol grinned as we sat on the chair, waiting for our orders.

"But yesterday...."

"Heyy.... I told you I'm sorry. Look, I was just overreacting okay? Can't we forget about that?" Chanyeol's voice that was once deep became soft all of a sudden.

"I know. I know you're sorry.... and I forgave you already, that's why I'm taking you to lunch."

Now I hope he also forgets about the 'stranger'. Oh please.

Meanwhile, our orders came and we started eating.

"Well- I guess Dr. Lee would spend all day at the hospital." Chanyeol murmured after having his first sip of the soup.

"I know right. There's no other doctor in duty there besides her. It must be reaaaaally hard for her." I agreed.

"I just wish her luck..... and determination." Chanyeol and I laughed. 

 

-Qri's POV-

     "Doctor! There's an emergency! We need you!"

     "Are you done yet doctor? The operating room is ready!"

     "Doc, you have several patients waiting outside your office."

I was already worn-out from running to and fro the hospital hallway. It seemed strange that the number of patients today is high or..... is it because I'm the only doctor here? Dammit Jiyeon and Chanyeol! Why go out for a date and leave me alone? If they weren't my childhood friends.... ughhhhh! I sighed in disappointment.

I rushed out of the operating room to assist in the emergency room. Just when I came out, a swarm of people approached me. They had different reasons but each person needed my help, that was certain.

"A-ah. Y-Yes, I'll get to you as soon as I can."

"But~" They replied in unison. That shocked me.

"I-ah, I'm really sorry but there's an emergency so.. I'll come back later."

I carefully walked out of the swarm to the ER when someone somewhat familiar to me, blocked my way gasping, "I need your help."

 

-Stranger's POV-

"I need your help."

"Y-You... what are you--?"

 

 

 

" What are you doing here?" Dr. Lee asked in confusion while we were running across the hallway.

"I was waiting for you," I took a breath for a moment. "I'm planning to get my cast off--- but I guess that won't happen."

"Why?"

A couple of nurses tailed behind us.

"I was sitting at the lobby when this girl's dextrose stand," I looked at the white, pale-looking girl lying down in the stretcher which Dr. Lee and I are holding onto. "fell and crashed to my arm. Just then I realized that she was already on the floor, flat and unconscious."

"Do you know her?"

I shook my head.

"Okay. "I'll see you soon." She stopped at the emergency room and sent me off to the ward. 

 

 

"Did you tell her I'll be waiting here?" I said to the nurse who took care of my arm and guided me to the ward.

"Yes sir. Dr. Lee said that once she's done with the operation, she'll check on you."

"Alright. Thanks." I replied as I sat on the hospital bed. The nurse went out and the room was silent. 

It was a semi-private room with 2 beds, and since I was alone, silence crept into my body. A couple of minutes after, the door banged open and Dr. Lee came in. Following her was a patient in a wheelchair.

"This will be your ward." she said and looked at me. "So you'll paired up with the person who saved your life just minutes ago."

My eyes widened when I knew that it was the girl before. She looked at me also, awestruck.

"Make yourselves comfortable. Jiyeon and Chanyeol would be here soon so maybe two of us will be your doctors." She walked out without even checking on me.

 

The moment she left, a blanket of awkwardness and silence clothed the atmosphere in the room. I sat on the bed, leaned my back on the headboard and stared at the emptiness outside the window. While she, strolled down her wheelchair and managed to climb up the bed. 

There was nothing but pure silence- not even an echo of our breaths. I wasn't looking at her but I feel that she's taking slight glances at me. I wondered why.

"What happened to your arm?" At last she spoke. Her voice was shaking as if it was afraid to come out of . But it was beautiful, nevertheless.

I continued staring at the window and replied, "I....... slipped off." I never wanted to recall what really 'happened' so I ended up 'slipping off'.

There's this silence again that I hated so much. "You?" I looked at her.

"M-me?" she replied. 

"What happened to you?"

"I don't really know but they say.... I lack white blood cells."

I never really learned much about anatomy so I just nodded. "Are your parents coming?" I asked.

"No. They're out of the country and possibly.... extremely busy."

I'm not sure if I was right but I think I heard the last words as a whisper. I nodded and this time, I lied down, with my left arm on top of my head, and looked at the ceiling blankly.

"They said.... you saved my life?" 

That question came out of nowhere. I thought for a moment. "No, I didn't."

"But they said you--"

I twisted my back so that my back was facing her. "I just carried you to the ER with my broken arm. That doesn't mean I saved you." If it weren't for you, I should've taken this annoying cast, out.

"Oh-O-Okay." 

I heard her as she lied down and made herself comfortable. I, as well, closed my eyes.

 

 

 

 

I woke up to the sound of the door opening and the loud laughing of two people dressed in white. 

"I was really exhausted the whole time!" said the female's voice. The other laughed and muttered, "While Chanyeol and I were eating, we were just laughing at how pitiful you were here! But thanks to our friendship, we decided to come back earlier than expected to help you. I know it was really hard Qri! Haha!"

I turned to look at the sources of the voices. It was Jiyeon. We met each other's eyes. It was only for a second then she immediately checked out on the girl beside me.

"K...Krystal-ssi? What are you feeling right now?"

So her name was Krystal.

Meanwhile, Qri draw near me. "So, what's ours, stranger?"

"My cast."

She checked on it while Jiyeon threw me meaningful yet scary glances.

"It's not yet fully recovered. Maybe.... a few more days?" Qri quickly explained and left. Jiyeon moved on and asked me questions as though she doesn't know me-- and as if we don't live together. After asking, she whispered, "Come to my office. I have something to say. Now!" She followed it with a fake smile and with the look of a sharp-eyed hyena. She was careful so that the Krystal won't notice her, torturing me.

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

"If a strange guy comes in and looks for me, send him in okay?" I said to my secretary.

"Yes maam." She walked out of my office but came in again seconds after. "Someone strange is here maam."

The stranger looked upon me and walked inside. He automatically sat down on the couch.

"I thought you were getting the cast off? Why were you inside the ward?" I opened up as I stood before him.

"It's a long story. The doctor said maybe a few more days." he grinned.

I doubted his answer so I asked, "Perhaps, you caused trouble here?"

"N-No. Absolutely, I didn't." 

I nodded my head and sat down, opposite him. "I have to tell you something,"

"What?"

"The doctors and all of the hospital staff here doesn't know you're living in my house. A-and... they absolutely should not know."

Ths stranger kept on listening and muttered, "Uh-huh. Then?"

"You should not know me here."

His forehead creased, a sign that he doesn't understand what I meant.

"Whenever you're in the hospital and we happen to pass by, act as if you don't know me-- that I'm just a mere doctor."

He simply nodded, without effort.

"Ultimately, you can't just enter my office without my permission. Are we clear?"

He was stuck momentarily in thought. "I understand but---"

"But what? You can't argue because if you remember, because of you my whole life is a secret now!"

"But.... you would not chase me out of your house right?" He got up and stood near where I was sitting. "You would still make me breakfast right? We will still play chess? And go to the nightmarket?"

I looked at his face filled with wry and beggingness. I thought to myself, If my life became a secret when he came, why can't I just throw him away from the house? It's easy but....

 

"O-oh, of course. You'll still live with me."

 

He turned around and walked towards the door. "Don't worry. No one will know about us." He said and followed it with a smile. His smile was common. There was nothing unusual about it. What was rare was that, that was the first time I saw his curved lips-- form into a smile. 

 

 

OMG I UPDATED AGAIN :) I HOPE YOU'LL LIKE THIS CHAPTER ^^ PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT ME ** :What might be Krystal's role in the stranger or Jiyeon's life? Stay tuned! :D