Chapter 12

Hello, Stranger!

FIRST SIGNS►

 

"K-Krystal ssi, was that your brother on the phone?" I curiously and cautiously asked when Krystal was done talking to her handphone.

"Ah, yeah. He's kinda busy with work so we seldom see each other. But he calls me, time to time."

"Is that so? What does he do?"

"Ahhh, he's a ---"

"Krystal!! You slacked off again?! Aigoo you naughty kid!! Come here, come here! You did not even take your medicine!!" yelled a middle aged woman dressed in white; her private nurse?

"Ah. It seems like I'll get a beating. Haha. I'll go in. You go ahead too." Krystal insisted and hurriedly went in. I turned back and rode on the taxi which waited for me. 

As we crossed the highway, I really felt something weird. Hmmm. What is it that's bothering my mind? Ah- now that I remember, the grocery!

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

"Chanyeol, thank you for today," I muttered when Chanyeol's car stopped by the house. Sitting in the fron seat just beside him, I added, "Thank you for always being that dorky Chanyeol. I had fun. Really."

"Ya~ Why are you being like that? We just spent the whole free time in the cafe. What's so fun with that? I was so bored though," he pouted. "I wanted to do more things with you. Shopping, watching movie, eating....." 

That moment, I remembered my dream. The one where I went shopping with the stranger, watched movie and ate. All of those thoughts came to my mind but was immediately gone when Chanyeol's cold hands held mine.

"I should be the one thanking you Jiyeon. Thank you for the time....... thank you because you completed my day."

A moment of silence filled the car as we looked at each other in the eyes. I was grateful then because I found the perfect timing to slip off of Chanyeol's hand.

"Thank you again for today Chanyeol. Have a good sleep. Good night." I said and got out of the car. I watched him as he waved at me, and until the car was gone out of sight.

I entered the house which was unlit. I wonder where he had gone to. It's 7:00 pm already.

I changed my clothes in the room and went to the kitchen to cook dinner. The clock was ticking fast and so does my heart. I already finished eating, even done with washing the dishes; yet the stranger hadn't arrived yet. 

 

8:00 pm.

I turned off the tv after watching the new season if Invincible Youth. Still, the stranger is not yet here. Lying on the couch, I took my phone and started playing Flappy Bird. I almost got my temper cut off (because of the game) when a voice sounded.

"I'm home~~"

"Hey- you-" I murmured as I stood up to see the stranger. "Why did it take you so long huh? And, why did you buy too much?!"

"Tch. Because you gave me too much money. Is that my fault? Aigooo~ instead of blabbering, can't you just help me? My other arm's gonna come off soon too if I continue carrying this.... heavy bag."

I grabbed the plastic bag accordingly and together, we carried it to the table. Then I started sorting the insides of the grocery bag. "Ahhh- why did you buy so much canned goods? Did you know these are bad for your health?"

All of a sudden, the stranger took my curious hands away from the bag and said, "Hey. Let me do that. You just sit.... relax."

"Tch. I was relaxing already the whole time waiting for you." I sarcastically replied as I lazily stomped my feet towards the sofa. Its such a waste to give him 50000 won. Aissshhh.

 

-Stranger's POV-

While Jiyeon was paying too much attention on Flappy Bird, I took out the contents of the plastic bag one by one. Carefully, I placed the canned goods in the cabinet, the meat in the fridge, and several other personal items. Of course, I also took with me the chocolates which I had bought for Jiyeon. I snuck them into my pocket as I went to the room to pretend like I was changing my clothes. 

What should I do with this?

I was in a panic state and then walked around the room thinking about how I should give it to Jiyeon.

Ya- Chocolates *then throw it to her* Should I go for the cold type? 

Or, Jiyeon ah, I bought something for you~ Tada~~~ Chocolates! The aegyo type?

AISSSHH, just give it to her! Casually and simply- what's there to think about?

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

 

It's way past 9 pm and I'm still into this Flappy Bird game. The stranger is sorting the grocery items and is maybe changing his clothes right now. Ah really, I should go to sleep now.

I stood up and was about to head to my room when I saw him come out. Unexpectedly, he approached me. 

"Hey," he said, rarely shy. "I got some spare money from the 50k won so here," His hands lifted up along with the chocolates and he shook it- signaling me to receive it. 

I took it while his head remained bowed down. After I received it, he turned around and walked away.

"Wait....." I faintly whispered.

"Oh?" he replied, facing me.

"Let's eat this together." I said while handing the chocolates to him.

--

 

"So uhh- Its been a month since you've moved here. Do you know that I still wonder about you?" I opened up while the two of us munched on the chocolates as we sat on the floor in the living room.

"What about me?"

I looked at him as he was struggling to open the big sized toblerone pack. "You- who you are, where you came from, how and why did you came here-- those kind of things."

"Okay, so lemme answer those." He took a bite of the toblerone first then later added, "I am a stranger. I came from nowhere. And, i don't know how and why I got here. How's that?"

"Aissssshh! What kind of answer is that?! Come on, I need real answers."

He put the toblerone down on the table and crumbled the thin foil cover of the chocolate. "I think after another month," Confidently, he threw the crumpled thin foil to the trash can one- handedly. It came in just like a 3 point shot. "I'll be able to tell you."

He stood up and headed to the kitchen. "Ahh, you'll be working tomorrow right?" he asked.

"Yeah? Why?"

"Ahh, nothing." 

I cleaned the table and followed him to the kitchen too. "Will you be going to the hospital tomorrow?" I curiously asked him as I washed my hands and while he was brushing his teeth. 

"Sort of." He timidly replied.

After brushing his teeth, he lied down on the couch and put his sleeping mask on. I turned the lights off and went to my room.

 

-Stranger's POV-

 

I woke up a little bit later than sunrise. And as exactly as I thought, Jiyeon went to work already. I ate the breafast she laid on the table and then took a quick shower. Of course, I wrapped my right arm with a raincoat so it won't get wet. Ugh, why do i have this hard life?

I looked for clothes in the closet which Jiyeon told me. She said it was her dad's shirts and all.

After finishing and checking things, I set off and rode a taxi. My destination was to Krystal's house. She promised me that she'll go to the hospital today to check on her present condition. Out of concern, I offered to go with her so I could take care of her whenever she feels like fainting. Good timing because I also have Dr. Qri to check on my arm.

 

 

 

When I arrived, the house seemed silent. I pressed the doorbell a couple of times until one of her maids came out to check on me. 

"Where is Krystal ssi?" I said.

"She's inside sir."

"Ahh. Could you please tell her that I'm here because she promised to go to the hospital with me today?"

"Ohh. Why don't you come in sir?"

"Ah- its okay. I'll just wait for her here."

"Okay. I'll go and tell her sir."

 

I remained standing outside the gate and waited for Krystal to come out.

"Hey---" I heard her say from the upper balcony of her house. 

I looked up to find her. I waved my hands when I saw her half- awake.

"Why does it have to be soooooo early?" she exclaimed.

"Of course! There might be a lot of patients so its better that we arrive there first!"

She scratched her head and complained, "Aisssh. Alright, I'll just take a quick shower." Then she went back inside, closing the veranda windows.

"By the way- you can come in if you want." she added, slightly sliding and sticking her head outside the window.

I looked up to her again. "Ah, no! It's alright for me to wait here."

She finally shut the windows and left me waiting.

 

30 minutes after.

Krystal slowly stepped out of the house and met me by the gate.

"Kinda took you so long. Phew." I complained and momentarily squat down.

"S-Sorry. That's why I asked you to come in." 

I stood up from squatting and replied, "Ah, nevermind. Let's just catch a taxi. We're still chasing time."

I hailed an approaching taxi and we immediately got on it. 

 

On the way, I noticed Krystal unsure and uneasy. Is it because we're going to the hospital or what....

So with my head leaned on the headrest and facing the window, I asked her. "What is it?"

She fidgeted. "Eh?"

"What is it that's bothering your mind?"

"Uhhh-- That---- Ah-"

I looked at her because she was chronically stuttering. "My name right?"

"Oh?" she absent-mindedly replied.

"You still don't know my name and you're curious about what you'll call me. Right?"

"Ah- no. Its not like-"

I turned to face the window again and expressionlessly said, "Stranger. I'm a stranger." Then I smiled to myself, feeling contented.

--

 

Krystal and I entered Dongguk Hospital together in search for our doctors in charge. We decided to separate in the lobby. 

"Make sure to meet your doctor okay? Let's meet here after we're done with our check-ups." I told Krystal.

"Sure."

We walked separately and I headed directly to Qri's office.

While walking, I overheard a conversation from one of the hospital rooms. I stopped by and carefully listened to the conversation. Apparently, it was Qri's voice talking to a lady nurse. "This guy is from Jeju. Can you please take a look at the patient's list? Find out if there's somebody who also came from Jeju. They might know each other." 

The nurse went out of the room and luckily, I have hid myself behind the wall. Few seconds later, Qri followed and went out of the room also.

I walked towards the room and thought. Jeju? Who could that person be?

I opened the door and entered the room. I saw him lying on the bed, soundly sleeping.

As I went near and nearer to the person, my heart was also beating fast. 

 

Don't tell me........?!

 

The moment I saw his face, I found myself having mixed reactions. 

This face........ I clearly recognize this.

"Hyung, are you sure you want to join the National Painting Contest?"

 

"Hyung! I'll always be here to support you!"

 

"J--J-- Jonghyun?"

 

I tried to hold back my tears after seeing him so I hurriedly went out of the room, slamming the door. I wiped my face and continued walking as if nothing happened.

No. I should not see him..... He'll be in danger if he's with me...... Jonghyun....

 

Without knowing, I reached the lobby where coincidentally, Krystal was standing, looking out for me.

"Did you get to see your doctor?" she asked.

In a state of shock, I bent on my knees- ready to cry out loud. 

"Hey..... are you okay?" Krystal said, patting my back.

I panted heavily because I was struggling too much to hide the tears.

"Hey- what happened?!" Krystal asked again, this time holding my face so that she was looking at me.

I could only do nothing but finally cry. And although Krystal's face looked confused, she did not hesitate and hugged me the moment she saw the first tear from my eyes. She continued patting my back while I cried like a baby.

Just then, someone's voice interrupted that scene.

"Hey-"

I clasped off of Krystal's arms to see that it was Jiyeon.......... together with Chanyeol; they were holding each other's hands. I can tell from Jiyeon's face that she was shocked while Chanyeol remained clueless.

Getting hold of the situation, I wiped my tears and walked past them. Krystal followed me along.

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

 

Chanyeol and I just finished taking snacks when we decided to go take a look on that 'Jonghyun' patient. When we reached the hallways, I saw a familiar physique.

As we got near and it became clear, I saw the stranger perfectly locked in the arms of a girl. He was crying while the girl pats his back.

"Hey-" I unconsciously said. 

He looked at me and stopped crying. He then wiped his face and walk past us Chanyeol. The girl followed him.

I immediately broke away from Chanyeol's hand (which was holding mine) to chase the stranger. But Chanyeol caught my arm, "Jiyeon, what is it?"

"Uhh--- He..... He's my patient."

Chanyeol let go of me and I ran to the stranger. I grabbed his shoulder and said, "Let's talk."

He stared at me, so did the girl. 

"Just the two of us." I emphasized.

 

--

 

 

I brought him to my office so we could talk. "What is happening?" I asked, firsthand.

"What do you mean?" he replied, sitting on the couch.

I stood up before him. "I'm asking you what happened. Be- because I just can't believe that I saw you cry earlier!"

He did not reply. I walked back and forth and continued, "You even walked past me!"

I saw him smirk. "Wasn't it you who told me that I should not act like I know you if I'm at the hospital? You even suggested that I should just walk past you! So I did!"

Containing my anger, I turned my back on him and murmured, "Tch. Seeing you crying like that....... and locked deeply in the arms of another woman- - How can I-----?"

I turned around to him but this time only to find out his face close to mine. "Hmmmmm. Am I seeing first signs of........ jealousy?" He said, grinning.

 

*Chappie 12 is here! :D 13 will be posted very soon ^^ Happy Holidays!*