Chapter 3

Hello, Stranger!

HE'S WHO?

 

A sillhouette of a man can be seen from behind. He was sitting in a stool and a quadrilateral form of thing was in front of him. He used his left hand to grab a parallel object and seemingly dipped it to a so called plate beside. After, he started brushing off against the pad of paper that was just facing him. He was solemn as his hands managed to down figures, and his face showed nothing but sincerity in doing his work. He was almost perfect, but there's this one thing that seemed inexplicable about him-- his right hand was wrapped in a cast, a sign that that important body part of his, was temporarily damaged.

--

 

"Dude, you'll enter that competition again?" Jonghyun asked.

"Yes. Why ask?"

"Oh come on. You're already 25! Don't go entering those competitions like you're a highschooler!"

"Who cares about age, when its all about the skills huh?" I annoyingly replied.

"O... okay, calm down." He glanced around for a second and continued, "Can I really not change your mind?"

I shooked my head together with a grin formed in my face. "You know how much I love these kind of games Jonghyun..."

"But, what if the same thing happened again?" His face was full of worry.

"Jonghyun, its 5 years ago! Plus, we're not in Jeju anymore... We're in SEOUL okay? They won't waste their time for me,"

"But still-"

"Don't worry. I'll be fine! Cheer for me okay? See ya!" I quickly patted Jonghyun's shoulder and ran towards the plenary hall shouting the last sentence.

In front of the hall was a huge banner that says, "2013 National Painting Competition"

--

I found myself seated in the backmost part of the event hall. A sketch pad stood in front of me and a palette was situated beside it. I then took out the one and only paintbrush that I had in my pocket and murmured a silent prayer. Seconds after, with a blow from the whistle, we officially started the preliminary round.

 

And after 1 hour, I somehow managed to escape to the finals together with 19 other participants.

"Okay, all contestants, you will be given a 30 minute short break." The announcer said.

I took my bag and was about to leave the hall when I heard Jonghyun from behind, "Hey!! Did you get in?"

I nodded proudly. Apparently, it was just an eenie meenie category. Even a 5th grade student would know how to paint the nature. But yeah, still- I can consider my work pretty different from those simple, crooky paintings.

I ran out of the hall and met him at the viewer's seats. "I told you, you don't have to worry." Gasping, I still managed to give off a smile.

"Haha. Alright alright, now I'll treat you for snack. Just make sure you win this okay?" He gave me a convincingly grin.

"Of course! I'd do that for sure." I replied with full determination. "Ahh wait, I think I have to go to the restroom first. I'm afraid my bladder's gonna burst now. Haha." I doled out a mischievous smile at him and went running to the restroom.

--

As soon as I finished doing my thing, I went out the stall and drawed near to my bag which was placed on top of the table. I searched for my paintbrush planning to wash and rinse it here, but it took me a few minutes to realize that I cannot find it. 

I flipped the bag upside down and its contents fell miserably on the floor but still, the brush was nowhere to be found. I stood up, taking a final look at the table, but what I saw was opposite to what was I expecting.

A person's stature was reflected in the mirror where I was exactly facing. They were 3 people and as what I've seen, they came in from the door. I figured that I have to turn my head now and face them. 

And I did exactly what I ought to do. I shifted my head to their direction but then I could feel my heart racing as if they're someone who I never want to see.

"Is this what you're looking for?" The guy in the center asserted, pointing to a thin line of object which he held in his hand. I can't see his face clearly because of the lack of lighting in the room, but due to him coming near and nearer to where I was standing, his face became clear.

"Kai..." I fainted a word.

"Its almost 5 years since we last met." He replied with an evil smirk.

"W...why are you h-here?"

"I participated in the competition..." He looked at the object that he was holding in his hand and added, "and seeing this, I suppose you participated too?"

I peeked at what he was holding and comprehended that it was my missing paintbrush. "You're the one who took it?" My voice became rough.

He took a step forward to me, leaned his face 3 inches from mine and whispered, "Why... can I not?"

Together with his insult, the other 2 guys behind him laughed.

Composure was gone out of my body, and so swiftly did I lift my hand and landed it to his face. Apparently, he was caught off guard and blood automatically gushed out from the corner of his lips. This caused him to fall and step back an inch.

"What do you want Kai? WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" I screamed from the top of my lungs and blurted in front of him.

He recovered his stature and wiped the blood that spewed out from the edge of his lips. "What do I want?" He uttered, took a step forward to me and recklessly grabbed my collar, "I want to win." His eyes was filled with fury and he gritted his teeth like a mad lion. "And I know I can't win with your presence here." He continued and threw me away like I'm just a mere piece of cloth, light and weightless.

"Is that all what you want? Why don't we just deal this with a fair competition? Bring out all the best you have!!" I advanced two steps toward him and rashly shoved his right shoulders. His two assistants attempted to stop my actions, grabbed my wrist and was about to punch me in the stomach when Kai's voice stopped them from doing so.

"Let him be." He stood in the shadows with arms crossed and continued, "Let him do what he wants for now... sooner or later, he won't be able to use his precious hands anymore." He displayed an evil grin.

"Kai!!!" I tried to approach him but I was under the tight grip of the two men.

"All participants, please come to the event hall in 3 minutes. We will start the finals of the competition." The announcer's voice echoed throughout the building.

"Oops. Looks like I'm leaving already." Kai spoke in a sarcastic manner. "Tao, Kris- you know what to do."

He turned around and was about to leave but as he was going to open the door, he looked back, snatched something from his pocket and said, "Oh, and by the way, you're looking for this right?" He said as he playfully held the paintbrush in his hand. He then lifted the brush up to the level of his eyes and with the cracking sound of the brush breaking into two, it disturbed the silence that was enveloping the atmosphere. 

After, he held the broken pieces in his hands and it took a few seconds before he threw those exactly to where I was standing. 

"There. You can have it." And he finally went out the room.

The moment my eyes laid sight on the paintbrush lying on the floor, it pierced my heart like a sharp knife stabbed mercilessly and clouds of water started to form in my eyes. Then I was about to burst into tears when the guy named Tao punched me in the face. It was not only once, but several blows landed on my face.

And just when Tao began to feel tired, the other guy Kris, substituted him and treated me like a stray dog and continued giving me huge blows. I did nothing except curling myself up, hoping it would ease the pain I'm feeling but it did not. Not until I woke up in total darkness, lying down in a curled position and my entire body stiffening and numb as if it was paralyzed and made me unable to move.

Where am I?

With a confused face and a half- conscious state of mind, I still managed to get a feel on the surroundings. And one distinct variable that I noticed was the sound of the engine, loudly roaring and most of all, I realized that the platform where I laid was moving.

Just when I got a hold of the situation, it stopped and I heard the door opening together with the footsteps of two men coming closer to me.

"Take him out and drop him here." The man said and opened the lid of the car's compartment.

I pretended like I was dead weak and just went with whatever they did. I felt cold hands as it lifted my up and dropped me hard on the ground. I moaned softly but I guess it did not manage to reach their ears for as soon as I opened my eyes, the car went running already and eventually disappeared from my sight.

I slowly rose up and dragged myself while glancing around an unfamiliar place. I started walking forward with no clue about where I was going. Then gradually, my head was getting dizzy and I feel like I can't control my body anymore. Luckily, I found a nearby house and just as I was about to fall on my knees, I managed to step in and save myself from a huge fall on the couch.

--

 

"Hey you. What is that that you're writing?" She asked while eating black noodles.

I ignored her and continued scribbling on the paper using my left hand. 

"Hey!" She once again nagged.

I then tore the paper out, folded it and kept it inside my pocket.

"Nothing." I responded.

 

You know what I wrote? 

I wrote my name on it. 

 

A/N: Hooray! I was able to update this so yeah XD I'm so glad because of the growing number of subs and the overflowing comments :D YEEEYY My exams are done so I can update often HIHI. Okayy, don't be mad at me because I spoiled you by not telling you what the stranger's name keke ^^ Comment | Subscribe