Chapter 22

Hello, Stranger!

TRIANGLE►

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

After a while of meaningless silence, Chanyeol stoppes and parked the car somewhere familiar. I unbuckled my seatbelt and we both got out of the car. 

In front of me, arises the very splendid view of the sun setting in the calm, still waters of Han River. My jaw freely dropped at the breathtaking scenery. Chanyeol was right beside me, astonished.

"The place seems familiar, no?"

I looked at him and managed to reply. "I remember...."

"Shall we go in?" He suggested, pointing to the restaurant just nearby.

We walked towards it and saw an amount of people. The resto was filled with bickering lights and the sunset further made the place fantastic. The welcoming crew approached us and asked as to whether we have made a reservation in the area.

"Yeah. I called earlier for a reservation. Park Chanyeol, please."

"This way sir." The woman said and guided us to a place in the corner of the said eatery.

As we walked, I felt ashamed because I came in hastily without putting on decent clothes. Everyone looked respectable and if you look at me in the mirror, I'm very much inferior in terms of fashion sense. Well I sat down on my lap and Chanyeol was opposite of me.

That corner was very perfect to have a good view of the place. One can clearly see the half body of the blazing sun soaking under water. I knew then that it was made for appreciation.

"2 years ago, we ate here after successfully finishing our residential duties in the hospital." Chanyeol muttered. "That was our last day as interns. And we celebrated because at last, we were to be called Doctors."

"That moment is vividly etched on my memory." I responded, letting off a little smile. Just when we were silent again, the waiter came to serve us a very palatable meal.

 

Before I started eating, I cared to ask, "But why are we here? What's the occasion, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol held onto a pair of chopsticks before answering, "I wanted to remind you of the times we spent together."

"Why? Does it look like I'll forget them? Of course not Chanyeol."

He grinned, "I know.... but," he puts down the chopsticks on the table and continued, "Kai- that man, is bothering me."

"And, what does this have to do with him?" I quickly replied.

"Kai-- he likes you." Chanyeol said at a very calm tone. I felt my heart skipped a beat. "And although I'm not certainly sure about you and your feelings, my mind tells me to do the initiative and get you know, get closer to you."

I scoffed at the fact that he wants to get closer to me. "Oh come on Chanyeol, we're already close. And Kai? There is absolutely nothing between.....u-us." I doubted what I said.

"But I wanted to assure myself. He's going to get you- he told me."

He must be joking. I told myself. I became stiff and Chanyeol was fast to notice that.

"Nevermind everything. I told you we were supposed to have fun." He started eating.

--

 

"So.... are you considering it?" Chanyeol tried to ask when we finished our meal.

"Considering what?" I answered as he poured out soju half full on my glass.

"What I said...." he slurped a shot of his own.

"....?" I twitched.

"Go out with me Jiyeon." 

I lifted my cup but I failed to drink from it when Chanyeol said that very intriguing statement. I froze. 

Just a year ago, I was very much anticipating this moment to happen. Chanyeol asking me out and me saying yes. But rather now, I feel nothing of excitement and heart- throbbing. I felt guilt inside.

Time passed and I knew that Chanyeol was waiting for an answer. I wavered.

"C-Chanyeol....."

"It's alright," he laid down his cup. "If you'd ought to say yes, you would answer right away. But it has taken you a minute," He smiled but I quite get what he means and feels.

"I'm sorry Chanyeol.."

He was sober and grinning. "I imagined this day to be so much fun. It was so-so, rather." He stood up and flexed his arms. "Ahhh, the food here is good. I'm so full."

"Chanyeol...." I looked up to him.

"Come on Jiyeon, let's head home."

Without having to say anything, I stood up and followed him as we walked back to the car. It was dark already. Little did I know that the sun was gone. 

Chanyeol parked the car in a dark and solitary place; the two of us were the only existence there.

I was about to open the door of the car when Chanyeol prevented me when he spoke, "It was nice to know what we really felt." He stood beside me, inches away. "Do I get to kiss you even if I was rejected?"

He held my face close to his. I did not react. But only when I saw that he was slowly leaning onto me, I slipped from his grip. The kiss was interrupted and the both of us went awkward. 

"In this case, I think it's over." Chanyeol muttered and distanced. He opened the car door for me and also stepped on in the driver's seat. Shy and embarrassed, I hopped on the car.

--

 

A few days after, I dutied in the hospital as if nothing happened between Chanyeol and I. I totally immersed myself in performing my duties and I figured there was never a time that Chanyeol and I conversed. We barely meet in the hospital and often tried to avoid each other's gaze during regular Board Meetings. This wide gap between us soon became the topic of the hospital staff and still, the both of us had kept quiet about the matter.

"Myungsoo, it's about time for your therapy. Come on, wake up your lazy ." I entered Myungsoo's room and found him sleeping. It's 5:00 am and now's the scheduled therapy for his newly operated leg.

He moaned, disturbed by me. 

"Come on, Myungsoo. Stand up." I told him, at the same time lifting his upper body straight to the back rest.

"Does it really have to be this early?" He murmured, eyes shut and half-awake.

"Mmmm. No more complaining, let's get up." I assissted him until he got on his wheelchair. 

 

I drove him to the flower garden to completely awaken him through the rising sun and by the fresh, cool mist of the morning.

"What are we doing?" he asked.

"Therapy, I told you."

"Yeah, I know. But what kind?"

I promptly left him and grabbed a pair of crutches which I readied in the place a while ago. "You've been in a wheelchair for so long. You should take it to the next level to be able to fully recover."

He looked at it with one eye and widened it as if stretching his very eyelids.

"Do I get discharged if I learned this?" He joked and stood up to try the thing personally.

"Careful, careful. Do it slowly Myungsoo."

"Sure thing." He was already in them and I figured he was ready to roam around in those.

"Let's take a look around. Is that okay?" I asked him.

He nodded with a smile. Even though struggling with the crutches, he did his best to follow me as I walked around the place.

"Do you want to talk about anything Myungsoo? Any problem? I could probably help-"

 

"Aaaaccck!" 

From the opposite side of the fountain, I ran to him when I saw him stumble and fall onto his knees.

"Myungsoo! Are you okay?!"

He laid on the ground, groaning and holding onto his leg. "Y-yeah. I'm okay, I just tripped over a stone."

"Are you sure? But you do not look alright.."

"Ah- really. It's okay."

"Wait, I'll get your wheelchair and drive you back to the room."

"Ah, no-" He grabbed my hand and slowly, stood up difficultly with his crutches on. "Actually, I'd prefer to talk with you." 

I looked at him and his soiled pants.

"R-Right. Let's talk about you." He continued and barely regained his pose.

"Why do you want to? There's nothing good about me."

"Not really. I can see a lot of good things in you. Mmmm, for example," He walked limping and I cannot help but to support him one handedly. 

"For example, you're a very good and...... caring Doctor."

I giggled. "That's an exception. It's not a quality, it's a given conduct for us, Doctors."

"But I've never seen anyone this caring towards her patients." We stopped and I felt a stinging reaction. Myungsoo looked at me very intensely, almost turning into a fiery look. I wondered whether I was going to be scared or be electrified with his oh-so-perfect glare.

"I wanted to know you better Doctor."

 

"Huh..... hmm." Someone scoffed either purposely or not and it interrupted our conversation. We looked around seeking the source of the voice.

"You sure talk a lot Myungsoo." It spoke but we still haven't seen the person behind it.

"Who are you?" I asked aloud.

"Ayyyyyy- You shouldn't disturb sleeping people you know." The man finally appeared from a bush of plants beside the fountain.

 

"Kai....... why are you here?" I asked him.

He stood up, eyes half-closed and a ruffled brown hair was on top of his head. "I heard everything, Myungsoo." He walked toward us, briefly emphasizing Myungsoo's name.

"Were you sleeping there?" Myungsoo asked.

"Is your leg okay?" Kai answered.

"Why do you have a habit of answering questions with questions?"

"Why do you have a habit of......." Kai was now an inch close to Myungsoo.

"...... pretending?"

"Oh please, what is this?" I interfered.

"Nothing, Jiyeon. It's just the way we joke with each other." Myungsoo forcibly smiles.

"Why don't we take the joke to its ? Right here..... right now." Kai takes over the conversation.

For another minute, a sound of a pair of clacking shoes engulfed the flower garden. The tall figure stood before us with a scrutinizing look.

"Chanyeol...." I whispered. 

"Did I miss something? Looks like you guys are talking about an important matter..."

"Let's go, Jiyeon." Kai told me. 

I retaliated. "Where to?"

"Home.... I mean the hospital."  He pulled me and paced for the exit.

"But..... Myungsoo......!" I called for Myungsoo.

"Jiyeon, you're feigning ignorance. For several years, I know that Kai- I mean, Myungsoo is very good at pretending." Kai told me. "I swear to heavens that he's gonna be okay."

"And.... Chanyeol..? Do you think he's gonna be okay?!" I dropped his hand just as we reached the entrance to the main building. "Did you actually know that we are not in good terms for almost two weeks? Did you know that after rejecting him, guilt is consuming me and I hate to think that a long time friend was gone in just a short minute?"

Kai was surprised. "So please Kai, allow me to fix things right with Chanyeol." I turned my back on him and traced my path back to the flower garden.

 

-Stranger/Myungsoo's POV-

Trying hard to walk around in a cast, I hailed a taxi heading to Jiyeon's house. For the second time, Jiyeon chose Chanyeol over me. Yeah, it's a little thing but it hurts my pride. Does my presence ever did something wrong? I hope to think not. As far as I'm concerned, I am clearly having my limits regarding my thoughts and actions. Are they misunderstanding me?

The time taken for me to arrive at my destination was enough to consider there thoughts. I paid the fare and hopped off the vehicle.

When i reached for the door, I was surprised that it was open. I was about to push it open wide but someone from inside the house did firstly. A woman at her forties appeared and was having second thoughts upon seeing me.

"Who are you? she asked.

"K-Kai..... and you......?" I asked her in return.

"Park Eunhee........ Jiyeon's mother..."

 

 

*OKAY so every one please keep in mind that in Jiyeon's POV, Myungsoo is Kai and Kai is Myungsoo :) I'm telling you this to avoid confusion LOL. And OMG!! Jiyeon's mother which came from a business trip in America returned! And most of all, she meets Myungsoo the stranger! How will things be like? Stay tuned!*