The Showdown - Pt.II

Hello Cold World: Forever & Almost Always
The Showdown, Part 2 
 
 

After almost five years, Seonyul was standing in front of Ji-Hoon again, Byunghee's uncle.

 

The last time she saw him was around the time the police declared her boyfriend dead as they found a burnt body by the river, almost outside of the city. Since then, she lost all contact with his family including his mother and father, who left the country not long after the funeral.

 

Seonyul looked at Ji-Hoon and then back at G.O who looked lost at the sudden outburst coming from her.

 

“You bastard! All this time you knew he was here but kept him away from me?! How could you do this! You knew EXACTLY what I went through after he disappeared! Why?! Give me a good reason why you hid him from me!”

 

 “What is going on? How do the two of you know each other?” She looked back at G.O, not knowing how to answer his question since a part of her wasn't really sure who he really was. She turned around and faced Ji-Hoon who looked troubled and surprised to see Seonyul standing in front of him.

 

She was almost shaking, trying to control her emotions.

 

“Ji-Hoon, is it really him? Is it really Byunghee, or some kind of twin?”

 

He hasn’t answered her as he was left speechless, trying to find the perfect words to tell her the truth.

 

“TELL ME!”

 

I-It's him… He never died”

 

“What?”

 

“I'm sorry it had to be this way-”

 

“What do you mean he never died? I was there when they buried him! I was there when the results came out claiming it was Byunghee's body! DON'T LIE TO ME!”

 

“It's him Seonyul-ah; it's really him.”

 

She walks towards him and slaps him directly on his cheek, hard enough to make his head turn sideways, earning a gasp from each person in this room.

 

She leaves him standing ready to leave the room when G.O grabs her back by the arm, reliving an earlier moment. She looks at him, ready to break down into tears again.

 

She couldn't believe that he was here all along and didn't have the decency to come and see her, showing that he was still alive after all.

 

With all the force that was left in her body, she was able to push G.O away, throwing all her anger on him.

 

“You were supposed to be dead! And during all this time you were here pretending to be someone else?! Do you want me to get over you that bad? Do you hate me that much that you'll pretend that I never meant something to you? That those last six to ten years, or even more, meant absolutely NOTHING to you?!”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“You're kidding me right?”

 

“No… Seonyul-ah, I've never seen you before this year… I mean, the first time we met was at the club, right?”

 

“Stop playing and tell me you DO remember me, right?”

 

“He doesn't… He doesn't even know who I am.”

 

Devastated at hearing that the love of her life doesn't even know who she is, it took her a great deal of strength not to collapse.

 

With her hand on her chest, she was hoping that all this was just a nightmare and that she'll soon wake up from it.

 

She looks up at Ji-Hoon, wanting to understand what happened all those years ago but something inside her stopped her from doing so. No matter what the explanation would be, Byunghee was gone. Nothing in the world would be able to bring him back and it killed her.

 

G.O came by her side, embracing her from behind.

 

After all this time, he could finally comprehend the pain she went through.

 

Those nights were she would call her lost love out, he finally knew who she was calling too and felt guilty as she was still hoping for someone else, someone he used to be in the past. 

 

“I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm sorry he's gone, but it doesn't mean that I don't love you, because I really do-“

 

“Well, I don't. I want him and not you. Let go of me.”

 

“Please. I'm here, why can't you –“

 

She pushes herself away from his grip and turns around to face him feeling like she could exploded in just a matter of seconds.

 

“I'm sorry G.O, but I can't. I've spent the last two years in a freaking mental hospital because of you and that's where I met my dead friend. He tried to help me getting through this and I finally was able to make it out alive…” Taking in a deep breath, she looked up at the ceiling and right back down at him, trying to hold in the tears that were escaping to fall.

 

“G.O… When I saw you four months ago, I thought I was just dreaming, that my imagination was just tricking me again… But then, you gave no sign of knowing who I was so I thought you were just one of those doppelgangers & to tell you the truth, that's why I wanted you around. You reminded me of him. I feel bad for doing it and feel even worse because it was making me worse and not better, because I knew that it wouldn't change anything. You're completely different from who you used to be, I mean… It's like he never existed and because of that I keep thinking that my whole life with him was just something that was playing inside my head, that nothing ever happened and that I just woke up the night we met. You told me that you would fix me, that you would help me to forget him because he wasn't here anymore and you're right. He's not and I hate this. I hate the fact that I won't be able to see him anymore and that every time I look at you with those eyes it's him that I want to see and not you. And I HATE the fact that I wasn't even aware that you were still alive and that you're stupid uncle hid you were, just under my nose… I'm sorry, but I just can't do this anymore… I DO care about you; believe me, but I can't.”

 

“I don't care if you used me that way, I got to spend time with you and actually fall in love with you, something I thought would never happen. Even though we were once together, it doesn't mean we can't do it again. I love you Seonyul-ah. I love you so much it hurts to see you so broken up about the past, and I'm sorry if I hid you about me and about what was going on in this house, but I lost so many people because of this job I didn't want to lose you too.”

 

He took further steps towards her and gently held onto to her hands making her look straight into his wet eyes.

 

“I just wish that when you say my name, that you would actually call me. Just once say my name, my real name, and expect me and only me, not who I used to be but who I am today and who I've been for the past four months being by your side. Don't leave me, please. I need you Dahlia, and I know you need me. I don't want to lose you because of the past.”

 

“I'm sorry G.O, I just want to forget about everything that happened and just go back to the way things were before I even saw you again.”

 

“Seonyul-ah, I-“ He gets cut off by the glare she was giving towards the older man as she could only feel anger when looking at him.

 

“Shut it! It's because of you he became like this! I'm sure there was a way to bring his memories back but you just decided to throw that chance and keep him away from everybody he used to know. Does his parents even know what you did?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Come again? And they're not here because-”

 

“Because I'm the one to look after him.”

 

“And I see you're doing a great job turning him into whatever he's become. You know what, I'm done, with you and all this. I hope you rot in hell Ji-Hoon. I thought you wanted me and Byunghee to be together, but I guess you took that chance to just take everything away from both of us. You know that because of you, I lost my baby? Because of all the stress and grieving, I lost it. I guess it just wasn't supposed to be after all.”

 

At that she left the room, leaving everyone shocked and confused from her last statement.

 

Nobody was expecting this kind of outcome at all, not even the boss himself.

 

One by one, they left the room, stopping next to their friend for support, who was on the verge of tears.

 

He just lost it all, again.

 

This never-ending cycle was becoming too much for him to handle.

 

All he ever wanted was just to give her the love he felt from the very beginning but their past, his lost past, kept getting in the way, which made things only worse for him and especially for her and now that he knew what she lost, he understood what revelation came through that old diary of hers.

 

He looks back at his boss, expecting some kind of clear explanation of what has been going on from the beginning.

 

“Can you tell me who the hell I am?”

 

“Sit down Byunghee; I have a lot to tell you. Where should I start?”

 

“From the beginning.”

 

 
 
 
author's notes