The Other Side of the Storm

Hello Cold World: Forever & Almost Always
The Other Side of the Storm 
 
 

Three days passed since G.O last saw Seonyul.

 

He tried to call her, but she never answered.

 

He passed by her house and noticed that her car wasn't there thinking that she was out of town.

 

He hasn't been in a very good mood with everything that was going on, especially with what he learned about his past.

 

 

After Seonyul left, G.O stayed in the office with his Boss, Ji-Hoon, waiting to understand what was going on. With everybody gone, only the two of them were left in the office.

 

“How… How do you know her?”

 

“She's the daughter of the Kim's…”

 

“The Kim family? The same family that retired?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And she doesn't know about this?”

 

“No. Her parents retired when her mother found out about her pregnancy. It was only three years after your parents retired because your mother was pregnant with you.”

 

“And where do you fit in the picture?”

 

“I'm your uncle, from your father's side.”

 

“Can you tell me about Seonyul-ah and me? Why did she think we knew each other before this year?”

 

Ji-Hoon took a deep breath, looked at his confused nephew and started to tell the story of the past and this, from day one.

 

From the day the old Byunghee met Seonyul until the last day he saw her.

 

He mentioned how close they were and how inseparable they were, growing up.

 

He talked about the night of the New Year's Eve, when Byunghee confessed to her, their trip to Japan and even told him about the marriage proposal.

 

“Proposal?”

 

“Yea… You talked about it to her parents before asking her.”

 

“And they didn't have a problem with it?”

 

“Not really since you were supposed to marry her anyways and seeing that you two were in love, they didn't refuse.”

 

“Oh… Did we… ever got through it?”

 

“No. The day you asked her was the day you got… kidnapped.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

G.O swallowed hard thinking about the last words coming out of his uncle's mouth.

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon talking.

 

With every story Ji-Hoon was telling, G.O understood more about the pain Seonyul was going through all this time. He felt guilty knowing that he was the reason she has been crying every night. His eyes were getting watery the more he heard about his past.

 

A silent tear fell on his cheek hearing about Seonyul's breakdown when she thought he was dead. Ji-Hoon could see the trouble his nephew was going through trying to keep himself from crying.

 

“I'm sorry…”

 

“Why didn't you tell her? You just told me that we were supposed to get married.”

 

“Because they were after her too… After what happened to you, we thought it would be best if she stayed out of this world.”

 

“Then, what about me? I woke up with no memories whatsoever and you couldn't just help me get them back so I could have married the woman I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with?!”

 

He wasn't just feeling guilty anymore.

 

He was angry.

 

He was angry at the world but also angry at the people who lied to him about his identity and about her.

 

He got up from the chair and walked towards the door.

 

Before leaving the room, he turned to face his uncle, hurt from the revelation.

 

“I just want to know why you kept me away from her…”

 

And with that, he left the room.

 

 

 

After his encounter, he left the mansion and spent the next two days and nights at her place, sleeping in her room with her dog by his side.

 

He kept thinking about Seonyul and how his life turned out to be a pure mess just because of one night that completely changed everything in both of their lives.

 

By the end of the first night, he wasn't feeling so well. Physically and emotionally.

 

His flashbacks came back as he could feel his head throbbing in pain. Like before, they would come and go but when they were there, the pain was too much for him.

 

His heart was hurting too.

 

Something ached inside of him as if something bad was going to happen and it only made him feel worse, sensing as if someone was squeezing his heart.

 

By hanging out in her empty house, he got to hang out with her dog.

 

As those three days passed, he noticed that his mood was slowly changing. When he first came by, he seemed to be really happy as he was jumping around him and not leaving his side, but on the third day he was just lying on Seonyul's bed, crying from time to time, and not doing much or almost nothing at all.

 

He didn't understand his sudden mood swings so he just let him be while he would be leaving the house and go back to his place since he got a call from Seungho telling him that it was important and that he needed to get back right away.

 

Being alarmed by the sudden emergency in his voice, he couldn't help but feel his heartbeat increase all to quickly.

 

 

 

 

“What's going on?”

 

He was inside the office where he found the rest of MBLAQ and Ji-Hoon by the desk.

 

They turned around hearing their friend coming in with troubled expressions on their faces. They just found out that something was going on, on the other side, and that somehow it was involving not only the Boss himself but also his nephew.

 

Earlier today a letter was left on their doorstep, sent by someone who claims to be on the same side, as MBLAQ and that they'll need his help if they want to get rid of SM once and for all. ”We got an anonymous letter from them…”

 

“What does it say?”

 

“That they have something we lost.”

 

“Huh? What did we lose?”

 

“That's what we're trying to figure out. So far nothing was taken away, so we're probably thinking that it's a scam or something.”

 

“Can I see the letter?”

 

Taking in the piece of paper in his hands, he slowly starts to read it and at the last written words, he looked at his uncle, confused.

 

“Why are they mentioning something that is valuable to you and that he has? From what I can remember, we haven't lost our last fight, have we?

 

“No…”

 

He looks back at the letter and reads it for a second time, trying to figure out if there's some code that he could find.

 

He examines it a little bit longer and than looks back up. ”The handwriting looks rushed, like the person who wrote it was in a hurry… Plus, it's dirty…”

 

“And? What does this have to do with the situation?”

 

“What situation? The person was clearly trying to avoid getting caught -”

 

“It doesn't mean that we can trust who ever wrote that.”

 

“I know…”

 

“What's wrong?”

 

“Something's not right… I feel like something bad is happening but I can't figure out what… I can just feel it…”

 

“How long have you been feeling like this?”

 

“Three days, I guess.”

 

“You don't look so well…”

 

“I'm fine. Can we just go back to the letter? What do we know so far?”

 

“Nothing. We sent a spy, a couple of hours ago, to go check if it's legit.” G.O was about to talk when the door of the office opened revealing one of their spies. They all turned to him as he was walking towards them. “What did you find?”

 

“They are at their warehouse, outside of town. I wasn't able to tell who sent the letter since they were all camped out outside.”

 

“Were they waiting for something?”

 

“I don't think so, but that's not all. They had someone trapped inside, but I couldn't figure out whom it was.”

 

“Okay, thanks.”

 

With a bow, the spy left leaving the six men contemplate on the report.

 

The ache in G.O's heart only grew wider hearing the last statement, as he was afraid to know who it was.

 

Placing his hand on his chest and his other hand on the desk, he tried to hold himself up as he took deep breath, feeling a little bit dizzy. The others noticed and went straight to his aid, asking him what was wrong. “I'm just… a little bit dizzy that's all.”

 

“Go and rest, we'll take care of this.”

 

“It's okay; let me help.”

 

“Byunghee-ah, go and rest -”

 

“Don't tell me what to do.” He looked up at his uncle, still feeling annoyed and angry at him for the hidden secrets. The rushed and stern tone in his voice caught Seungho’s attention as he stood by his friend trying to calm him down.

 

 

By now, G.O found himself heading towards the door, ready to leave the office.

 

His heart was still hurting, but the dizziness was fading away.

 

As he stepped out of the house, he saw Seonyul's dog, Balto in front of the gates, barking. He runs up to him and tries to calm him down as he crouches to the same height.

 

“What's wrong boy?”

 

Placing his head down and sniffing on the ground towards his foot, G.O noticed that he was stepping on something and as he pulled his foot away, he saw a broken golden piece attached to a chain.

 

He picked it up and carefully looked at it, trying to figure out what this golden piece was.

 

As he walked back towards the house, he was slowly starting to recognize the object that he was holding onto and it only made him more afraid. He was in front of the office as he slowly opened the door catching the attention of the others who were still inside.

 

He hasn't looked up as he was only fixating on the flat ring in his palm, completely dazed out and paralyzed.

 

Each of them noticed his frozen state as they looked towards what G.O was holding. “G.O… What are you holding?”

 

 

All that he could hear were the muffled voices around him.

 

He was slowly starting to shake rethinking the earlier encounter with the spy, a couple of seconds ago, before coming in to the office.

 

“Hey! Himchan!”

 

“Yes Boss?”

 

“That person trapped in the warehouse… A man or a woman?”

 

“From the screaming, a woman.”

 

“Call for backup and then come back to the office with your leader.”

 

 
 
 
author's notes