A Bitter Day

Hello Cold World: Forever & Almost Always
A Bitter Day 
 
 

G.O was leading the young woman to a private room in the back of the club when he suddenly got stopped. He turns around only to notice that Seungho was holding onto him. He looks back at the stranger and reassures her that everything is okay and that she could wait for him in the room. After she left, he turns back to Seungho and confronts him.

 

“What the hell do you want?”

 

“You need to stop. Now.”

 

“Why?”

 

“You're ruining yourself, that's why.”

 

“Hyung… What about her?” At the voice, G.O turns to look at the youngest one, Mir, who was looking back at the him with a worried expression. “Yea, what about Mina?” From Mir, his eyes landed on Joon who was as concerned as the rest of the group.

 

“You mean Seonyul? Screw her. I'm like this because of her. Now, let me go.” He tries to get his arm away from Seungho’s grip only to have tighten.

 

“No.”

 

“I said let go of me.”

 

“And I said NO!”

 

“Come on Hyung, you're drunk. Let's just go back home.”

 

“I don't care and I don't want to.”

 

He yanks himself away from Seungho and punches him right in the face making the leader fall on the floor. Surprised and shocked, the others help the older one get up as he tries to hit G.O but gets stopped by the others by saying it wasn't worth it. The leader fixes himself and glares at his friend.

 

“It's not over.”

 

The others give their friend a disappointed look and follow their leader as they walked out.

 

As for G.O, he goes back to the room and before opening the door he takes a deep breath and steps in. He sees the stranger lying on the bed in a provocative pose, with her dress and shoes on the floor, leaving her in her and s.

 

“So… Where were we?”

 

 

 

 

A passionless night for an empty soul.

 

That was his night.

 

Being in bed with a nameless woman just now brought bitterness to him. Nothing would hide the fact that he did find her attractive, but she was nothing compared to the woman he loves.

 

Guilt. Mistake. Regret.

 

That's how he felt right now.

 

He was alone in the room. The nameless woman was gone, satisfied with her night. On the other hand, he wasn't so much. Instead of being a night filled with pleasure, it was a night filled with melancholy.

 

The nameless touches, the nameless kisses, the nameless moans, all of that were only making him sorrowful.

 

What the hell did I just do?

 

He kept thinking about her.

 

His dear Dahlia, his Seonyul; the woman he fell in love with.

 

He felt like he betrayed her by embracing someone else. She was filling his mind, wishing she were here instead of that woman.

 

At the end, he calls out Seonyul's name, in pain at the mistake he did. He needs to see her, he wanted to see her but felt like he should just go hide and not show his face to her anymore.

 

He gets dressed and leaves the room. The night wasn't over yet so he took this chance to go back and drink again.

 

He was at the bar and ordered a couple of shots drinking them one by one straight up. From afar, the others could see. They haven't left, afraid of leaving their brother behind. They could see the pain he was in. They knew something went wrong, but never thought it would drove to this.

 

“Seungho Hyung… What do we do? We can't leave him like this…”

 

“I know… Come on, let's go back home. It's getting late.”

 

They walk over to the bar to where G.O was sitting. Once he turned his head towards them, Seungho spotted a tear falling, leaving a trail on his cheek until it reached the inside of his empty glass. They were now standing around him as the leader placed his hand on his friend's back and told him it was time to go.

 

“I screwed up Seungho. I screwed up big time…”

 

“Don't torment yourself, -“

 

"She hates me… Seonyul-ah hates me.” Voice cracked, it broke his friend’s heart. He never saw G.O like this before and it hurt him to see his friend so broken up."

 

“No she doesn’t.”

 

“I don't know what to do anymore. I just made the biggest mistake of my life and I can't take it back.”

 

“Maybe you can't, but you can fix it.”

 

 

Seonyul just had another one of those nightmares.

 

It was almost 2 o'clock in the morning, when she frantically woke up with sweat all over her body and tears staining her pink cheeks. It was dark in her room and she was afraid.

 

She doesn't want to be alone, scared of going back to this bad dream of hers. She picks up her phone and dials a phone number. Putting the phone to her ear, she hears it ring but nobody answered. She tried again and yet no one answered. She called over five times and still, there was no answer. She gives up as she gets out of bed and goes downstairs, still in her pj's, grabbing her keys and putting her coat on.

 

A couple of minutes later, she finds herself in front of a huge mansion.

 

She gets out of the car and sees that the one she was looking for wasn't there yet since no car were parked in the drive way. She sits in front of the door and waits.

 

During that time, she kept rethinking about what happened with G.O earlier today. She was so furious with what he did, she wasn't sure if she would be able to forgive him. She thought about the moments they spent together and how she took comfort in his arms while she was in pain. He was there for her when she needed someone the most. He was still there in the morning despite all the cries and yelling she did through the night, calling out someone else's name. Even after their first fight, he still came back to her and held her in his arms while they were asleep.

 

She kept thinking about him when she saw some lights blinding her view. A car was just parked in front of her as she saw five men coming out of the vehicle.

 

One of them was G.O.

 

She quickly gets up and stands still as she watches him walking over.

 

He didn't look good, not at all.

 

They all saw her standing in front of the door except for him.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Oh, what are you doing here?”

 

“I was waiting for G.O…”

 

At that moment, G.O looks up and sees Seonyul in front of him.

 

A part of him was happy to see her but the other part made him feel guilty for what he did.

 

She walks down the stairs and goes standing in front of him. He could see that she's been crying, like she could see the recent tears staining his cheeks. He only looked down, not being able to look straight into her eyes, wishing today never happened not for earlier and not for their fight. She makes him look up to her by placing her fingers under his chin. He reluctantly follows her move only to end up with his lips on hers.

 

It was that soft kiss he missed.

 

She broke the kiss and looked at him with regret.

 

“What happened to you?”

 

“I'm sorry… For everything.”

 

“You went to the club?”

 

“How –“

 

“You have a hickey on your neck, your breath smells like alcohol and I guess you slept with some bimbo too.”

 

“Seonyul-ah, -“

 

“Save it. At least you're not hurt… And anyways, why should I be mad?”

 

“Seonyul-ah, I'm sorry. I was angry and I –“

 

“If you were angry, how do you think I felt?”

 

“Seonyul-ah –“

 

“Stop saying my name, please. I don't want to hear it.”

 

He tries to hold her hand but couldn't since she backed away from him. She barely remembers the reason she came here in the first place. All she could see was G.O looking at her with such a desperate face, she just wanted to hold him, but the anger and pain in her stopped her from doing so. She shouldn't care of what he did tonight, but somehow, she was hurt. She felt something heavy in her heart as she tried to shake it off, but that feeling came back.

 

She was about to walk away, but ended up standing next to him, looking the opposite way with a silent tear running down her cheek.

 

“I don't know why, but it hurts. What you did, this morning and tonight. I came here because I needed you. I tried calling you but I got no answers. I thought something happened to you but I guess I was wrong.”

 

Without letting him reply, she walks to her car and drives away. The moment she was out of sight, he fell down on his knees and cried.

 

It was over.

 

His friends saw everything and it pained them to see their brother broken up like this. A feeling of bitterness and guilt took over the leader as he walked over to G.O and helps him getting up.

 

“You need to rest. We'll fix this tomorrow.”

 

“No, I need to see her. I have to go –“

 

“Byunghee! You both need some time off.”

 

“I need her…”

 

“I know you do… But not tonight.”

 

G.O felt coldness taking over him. It wasn't the cold breeze of the night, but the sudden iciness covering his heart, trapping his soul in a black hole within himself. He hated himself for having a weak heart.

 

 

The only part of him that was still beating for a reason.

 

 

 

On the same night, he could barely get some sleep. Every time he would be closing his eyes, he would see her face. He kept tossing around in his bed, spreading the covers all over the surface. Things got only worse when his headache from this morning came back.

 

Again and again, flashbacks were crazily filling up his mind. Jumping from one lost memory to another in a matter of seconds, he felt like he was walking in a labyrinth where he lost all his sense of direction.

 

He kept his eyes closed only to open them and finding himself in a dark and lugubrious maze where in every turn, a movie would play an ambiguous scene that he could never recall.

 

In those every turn, she would be on the screen with him by her side.

 

Happiness. Joy. Love. Peace.

 

Even though those seemed to be good moments, his heart only hurt more. He would feel a tight squeeze, like if someone were choking his heart, unable to make it breathe. Falling down on his knees, he was suffocating.

 

Powerless. Paralyzed. Vulnerable.

 

He was tormented by something that was at the tip of his fingers, unable to reach for it.

 

He was getting tired of this.

 

He never understood where all of this came from. He never understood why he was so caught up by things that never really made sense to him.

 

What especially torn him apart was the fact that the missing piece to this whole puzzle was the key to what got lost all those years ago, and yet, nothing came back.

 

He couldn't pin point what was missing.

 

 

If he only knew what was on the other side of that maze.

 

If he only knew that just by the touch of those memories, he could have possibly had a glimpse of this stranger's past life; of his past life.

 

If he only knew that by coming back to life, there would be no more torment, no more pain, no more agony

 

And if he only knew that he'd feel loved by the only woman he loves.

 

 
 
 
author's notes