THE DOLL. ---PILSOOK

Milky Couple (Pil Sook and Jason story)

 

After class, I headed straight to my guitar lesson. My guitar lesson takes place at the 3rd floor of a small building in Hannam dong. The first floor of the building was a dental clinic for children, and I can hear loud cries of kids as I climb up the stairs to the 2nd floor The second floor was a mini salon this is where people usually stare at me when I pass by because of my appearance. Finally I reached the 3rd floor where I had my guitar lesson every day. As I enter the glass door the kid who was playing the violin stopped and greeted me.

“Noona”, he called out.

I waved at him and smile. “Long times no see, Rave”

I bowed to the teacher beside him.

Rave was another student of Mr.Jang who has been learning to play the violin. I hadn’t seen him for awhile since he was admitted in a hospital due to his heart condition. He was one of the kids who became closer to me since I enter Mr. Jang guitar lessons. I then entered the next door on the left.

 

“Pilsook you are early today”, Mr. Jang said.

He was already fixing up his things. I put my bag down on the sit beside the door. Mr. Jang look at his phone like he was waiting for something then he turn to me.

“Shall we start?”

I nodded in response.

And then he began the lesson. I took the acoustic guitar that was hanging on the wall. After he thought me some basic and important tips he handle me the song I should try and learn to play. I then noticed that he was frequently glancing at his phone.

“Can you do the last song I had given you last week?” he asked.

“Ne”, I answered. The song that was assigned to me was F.T Island you and I. I really studied the song ever day so that I can present it very well. I took a deep breath and played the song; I sang the song as well, for me to feel the feelings behind the lyrics. As I finished, Mr. Jang gave me applause.

 

“You really did good and has improved very fast”, he complemented.

“Kamsahabnida”

Mr. Jang looks at the notes he had in hand.

“I think you can play the guitar pretty well by now, you just need a lot of practice”, he said and for another time he look back to his phone. I was about to ask him if there was something wrong but then suddenly someone knocks on the door.

“Come in”

A young man wearing a black leather jacket and has an axe earring on his right ear enter the room. I use to see him around for he sometimes help Mr. Jang in his other lecture but I haven’t got any chance to talk to him like the others.

“Mr. Jang”

“Ah, Jonghyun what is it?” Mr. Jang said as he stood up from his seat.

He lowers his head down showing sign of respect.

“You got a phone call downstairs”, he inform him.

“I’m just going to take that, is it alright?”

 “Ne”

And so Mr. Jang left the room. It was a moment of silence.

“uhm” he said breaking the silence.

“you got a really nice voice”, he complimented.

“Komawo”, I said shyly.

“But your guitar skills is still lacking”, he said walking toward me. He sat down on Mr. Jang’s place.

“Let me help you”

 I nod in response.

He took the guitar from me.

“Look if you press the strings tightly it will sound better”, and he played an English song it was you and me by lifehouse a very meaningful song.

“♪What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time♫”

 

I listen to it carefully and was impressed with his guitar skills and his magnificent voice.

“wow, your amazing”, I said clapping my hands.

“Try it”, he said and handled me the guitar. I did what he said playing the piece I have been studying.

“See, much better”, he said with a warm smile on his face.

“Thanks for your help”, I said really grateful.

As Mr. Jang came back, Jonghyun has decided to join us. After the lesson Mr. Jang announces that he will be leaving for Japan because his mother was ill. He then assigns Jonghyun to be the one to lead the session.

“So for now onwards, I’ll be your seongsaengnim”, he said smiling playfully.

“I’ll go ahead Hak-seng”, he said and headed to the glass door he wave back before he totally left and I just continue to stare.

As I walked out of the building I decided to go to Kim Byul ahjumma who make and sell stuff toys at Dongdaemun market.

“ahjumma!”, I called out as I enter the shop.

“Ah, Pilsook”, she stood up from her seat and gave me hug.

“What brings you here?”

“I wanted to buy the stuff toy the one that looks like a chicken meat!! Miho’s toy!!”

“Ah that one, it had been our best seller that’s why I decided to order more stocks. I’ll just get it upstairs”

“Komawoyo, ahjumma”

As Byul Ahjumma headed upstairs I decided to look around the shop. There where a lot of new toys in the shop, there are also some signature toys displayed on the shelf. As I was looking on a big headed dog doll, the keychain on my bag fell and roll beneath the table.

Argh! it was broken again.

I knelt down to get it. As I try to reach the chain I jerk as I felt something soft just beside it. I let go of a sigh and reached back for my chain.

“Got it”, before I stood up I decided to peek back to see what just I hold onto earlier. I reached out one again and pull the soft thing beneath the table. It was an unfinished doll having only the hair on the top. As I stare at it one person crossed my mind.

Jason.

“Here it is”, Ahjumma said as she went back carrying the chicken meat doll.

“Ahjumma, I think I’m going to get this one instead”

“Eh”, ahjumma look at me surprised.

“But I haven’t finished that one. Well I’m not really planning to finished that ‘cause it didn’t sell good”, she exclaimed.

“Ahjumma, then let me finish this”, I told her.

She stared at me for a moment and smiled.

“Are you sure?”

“Ne”, I nod “How much will this one cost?”

“Hmm, your really serious in buying that?”

“Ne”

“Well since I haven’t finished that I’m giving it to you for free”

“Chincha?”

“Yeah, I’ll also gave you some yarn and stuff to finished that doll”

“Isn’t that too much?”

“ani”

She packed the doll and gave me beautiful yarns that can be made into a doll dress and stuff.

“I’ll hope you’ll enjoy doing it”

“Jeongmal kamsahabnida”

I walked home happily looking forward to finish the doll. I stayed up really late doing it and only one person was on my mind.

“You’ll be as wonderful as him” I said and continue to work hard.