Feelings

Milky Couple (Pil Sook and Jason story)

Pilsook's POV

 

“You’re looking off today, why?” Jonghyun asked as he pushes the medium size container of vanilla ice cream to me. I silently took it and open it up while pouting.  I took a spoon full and put it inside my mouth. I let the ice cream inside my mouth melt to savor the moment and the flavor. I really love ice cream at times like this.

 “I thought you got to be in school all day, what suddenly brings you here?” he once again asked.

“It’s because of a girl in my class”, I told him.

“You got into a fight with her?”

“Ani”, I shook my head and went on for another scoop “she just told me something that makes me feel off. I thought she was going to be my friend”

“What happen?”

“Well, I got this girl in class, Go Hyemi. She asked me how I had that feeling while singing. Since I thought she will become my girl friend, someday I decided to tell her my secret and gave her idea what feeling is. So I brought her with me to the new habit of mine”, I said with a small smile cracking on my lips as I talked about that habit.

“Let me guess that new habit of yours, it’s following Jason, right?”

“Neh”, I nodded shyly.

“Since when did you become his stalker”, he said shaking his head.

“Yah, I’m not his stalker I’m a fan”

“I thought you’re also my fan but never once did you follow me around?”

“Yah, you’re different. I am your fan and also you’re friend that’s why I don’t follow you around. We are always together while Jason, you know I don’t get to see him more often and I’m, a big big fan of him, you know what I’m talking about”, I giggle.

“Yeah, so you two spy on Jason then?”

“So I share my secret and I thought it will make her understand what feeling is”

“Did she understand?”

“Yes, she said she did. I really felt happy when I thought I finally let her realize what she was missing but then I asked her to make sure if she really understand what feeling is”

“And?”

“She said ..” the pout is back on my lips as I remember her words “feeling is a misunderstanding”, I took another mouthful of vanilla ice cream as I waited for Jonghyun's reply, but when I hadn’t heard him speak I look at him and saw him grinning really wide.

My eyebrow creased in annoyance and then he let go of a soft chuckle.

“She told you that?”

“Uhmmm”, I nodded and he laugh once again.

“What? You also believe I misunderstand everything but—“

Tears starts to form in my eyes I’m not really sure if it was due to annoyance or because everyone believe that I misunderstand everything.

“Shhh, don’t start crying”, he pinch my cheeks and smile at me “I can’t really say she’s right since we both had no idea on how he felt, it was just her observation don’t take it seriously”

“She’s mean”, I told him.

“I don’t think so. I think it’s just how the way she understand your feelings. You already told me that she got problem in showing her true emotions. Maybe she was just trying to tell you that, so you won’t get hurt in the future. Don’t take it seriously it was just her assumption”

“But what if she was right? What if I really misunderstand everything about me and Jason getting to know each other? What if I confess and he—“

“If he didn’t accept your feeling you can always come to me”

“eh?” I was taken aback when he cut me off. “ah, yeah. I guess, I always come to you when I’m hungry and when I got problems. So I guess when that time comes I’ll also run to you. You better prepare your shoulders for me to cry on and ice cream for me to calm down, arraseo” I awkwardly chuckle.

I’ve been running to him more often since he was my best friend, so I guess that is what he was trying to say, that when I’ll get hurt by Jason  not accepting my confession I will sure come to him and cry my eyes out. He has been always a good listener to all of my problems. He was the first person whom I share my secret feelings for Jason and I was really glad to have him around.

I look at him and he gave me a small smile before he pushes his share towards me.

“Finish it all up so you won’t get hungry during class”

“Are you sure?” I said hesitant as I look at his cup of chocolate ice cream.

“Neh”

After savouring the moment of free ice cream I receive a text from Song Sam dong using Hyemi’s number. At first I thought it was Hyemi since it was his name register but the message was nice and there is also a smile at the end with the initial S.

“Oh, I got to go. Mr. Kang already called for us”, I told Jonghyun as I stood up from my sit and took my bag on the side.

“Then let me take you there”, he said also standing up.

“Ani, It’s our secret practice room I cannot take you there and beside the others are waiting for me at the bus stop”, I told him. We already talked about not bringing anyone in the basement because it might give us trouble in the school so I can’t break that little promise I made.

“Is that so? Then I’ll just walk you to the bus stop. It’s already getting dark”, he said still persisting.

“Alright “, I finally said in defeat and so we walked toward where they were waiting.

“Pilsook can’t you asked your professor to resched your schedule. You have been going home very late lately, your house is far, you know it’s not really safe to walk home alone”

“Ani, I’m doing fine. You don’t have to worry”, I told him.

“But—“

“Oh, there they are”, I said pointing at the two figure near the bus stop. Hyemi was leaning on the pole arm cross in her chest while Samdong was watching her on the side.

“Hey, did you guys wait long?” I asked as we run our way toward them. Hyemi look over my shoulders, probably looking at Jonghyun who was behind me.

“Ani”, Song Sam Dong answer with a smile then he also look behind.

“Ah yeah”, I turn around “this is Jonghyun-shi my guitar teacher and also a close friend of mine”

“Annyeonghaseyo, you must be Pilsook’s classmate”, Jonghyun bow at them in greeting.

“Ah neh, I’m Song Sam Dong”, He bowed back and then smile “are you really a teacher you look young. You must been great in your profession”, he said amaze.

“Ah, not really”, he answer shyly and  glance at the girl who was still starring. “And you are?" he asked her politely.

“I don’t have time for introduction”, Hyemi turns to me “Kaja, they are already waiting”

“I guess, your Hyemi”, Jonghyun chuckle and Hyemi turns to me with a raise brows. I just smile innocently at her as far as I know I didn’t do anything wrong.

“Kaja”, she called coldly.

“Nice meeting you guys”, Jonghyun called waving before we headed off.

As we enter the basement we were greeted by a small TV and vcd player. Jin-Gook standing beside Mr. Kang, and Mr. Jin man is on the other side.

“What’s going on?” I asked as we enter.

Mr. Kang smiles at us and motion us to sit down so I comply. I was sitting on the chair in front of a small TV and VCD player, Song Sam Dong and Jin gook standing on the side as Hye mi.

'eh, where did she go'

Mr. Kang told us that we need to learn the SNSD song together that's why he let us watch it. in the middle of watching the TV suddenly turns off and Hyemi appeared behind the television.

"Why, why are you turning it off", Samdong protested.

She throws the plug she was holding and glared at him. Samdong turns around and decided to sit with me before Hyemi can throw a fit.

"But, why do we have to practice that?" I asked having no idea on what they where up to. I look at Samdong, and he also look at me as I was rocking my body on my chair, the boy doll press under my chin.

"We don't have time to play along with others' bet. The assessment is coming up", Hyemi said still pissed. She really doesn’t like the idea they presented.

Jin-gook cleared his throat and look back at Mr. Kang.

"Mister, I can just practice this on my own", he then said.

"Dude, we don't have time to do other stuff", Mr. Jin Man interrupted agreeing with Hyemi. "Didn't you see Hyemi yesterday struggling to get her emotions?"

"That is why—", Mr. Kang said and we all turn silence "That is why I'm saying we should do this" he looks at her. "Because of Hyemi"

We all look at him confused. How does singing genie connected with Hyemi?

"Even if you study the music sheets for a hundred days, you won't win over Baek Hee", he told her.

I lean closer to Song Samdong as I look at the two "It's the first time Mr. Kang is suggesting something this aggressively", I whisper.

“just trust me and follow me once”, and so it was decided.

 

---

 

Mr. Kang and Mr. Jin Man then take us to a fieldtrip, arriving outside the chicken shop where Jin-gook’s hyung works.  We first started on arranging the plan, Jin-gook call the shop to make sure his hyung was busy as we prepare outside. As I was helping Mr. Jin Man with the speakers the boy doll that was inhabiting my pocket fall down. I was about to pick it up but someone beat me to it. I look up at Hyemi as he examines my doll.

“You always bring this around”, she said as she looks at me. “Wae?”

“That doll gives me strength whenever I look at it. It’s like my lucky charm”, I told her shyly.

“Lucky charm?”

“Well, I just thought it like that” I admit.

The dolls suppose to resemble Jason so of course it gives me courage and strength that I need that’s why I consider it as a lucky charm of mine.

“I see”, she once again look at the doll nodding.

“Here”, she handed me the doll and I think her lips twitch upward a bit but I wasn’t really sure.

“Thanks”, I softly mumble as I took the doll from her.

“Don’t be nervous we’ll do great”, I heard her say before she walked away and help with the mic.

A smile curve on my lips, I guess there still a possibility of Hyemi’s Pilsook girl best friend project.

“Pilsook, what are you standing there?” Mr. Jin Man cut me in my thoughts.

“Coming”, I run towards him and help him carry the second speaker.

 

Few minute later….

 

"Are you ready?" Mr. Kang asked as I was tuning my guitar.

"Neh", I said with a smile and walk toward my place where the mic has already been post. I let go of a deep sigh calming myself and begun playing the strings as soon as the door of the shop open.

"Yes, I love you, I always believe you", I know this performance is very important for Jin-gook so I might as well give my best. It's also the first time I'm performing with live audience and I felt happy and nervous at the same time but when I heard the others voice as they as well started performing the nervousness’ was drain in my system and I found myself enjoying the whole performance though it was hard dancing with the guitar hanging on me. Jin-gook hyungs' ended up crying touch by our short performance and so we ended inside the chicken restaurant.

“Are those two brothers?”  Samdong asked Hyemi as he bites on his chicken.

Watching the two they really had a brotherly aura between them. Both guys protest that the comparison to the other is unflattering. We all laugh as Jin-gook’s hyung told him that he looks older for his age.

“Yah!” Mr. Jin Man called Jin-gook attention and I tilt my head looking at him.

“You do look a little old for you age”, he said that earns a giggle from me.

“That’s true”, I told him, "Do you want me to call you oppa? Oppa! oppa?" I started teasing and they all started laughing.

It was already dark when we decided to leave. Song Sam dong as always is trailing behind Hyemi, we went to the farthest end of the bus since the sits are almost occupied. Hyemi choose to sit on the right end near the window. Samdong was about to occupy the sit beside her but then Hyemi pulled me with her.

“You sit with me”, she mumbles on her usual tone as she settles me beside her.

I heard Jin-gook chuckle behind us as he went his way to sit on the far left side. Samdong scratching his head went to sit beside him. I suddenly felt sad for him, he was trying to sit with her since this morning but Hyemi won’t allow him, poor thing, I’m glad Jason isn’t as cold as her.

The trip was quiet and I started to felt the tiredness in my body. I hug my doll tightly on my chest before drifting to sleep.

---

The day of the assessment came. Mr. Gong called us all in the room with the karaoke; we enter it silently behind the regular class student. We took the sit in the second row with me on the end, sitting next to me is Jin-gook then Hyemi and last was Samdong.

I silently prayed for us to do well in the assessment, we badly need it not just for Hyemi to win the bet but for us to gain points so we can return to the art class.

I look around and find Jason sitting with Ri-ah on the front row. I pouted when I realize they really look good together like the other students said. They started thinking that he is going out with her but I don’t believe them. I won’t easily believe them since I trust Jason. He doesn’t seem to be interested with the girl— that’s in my point of view.

Jo-in sung started the performance, he got an 85 points though the karaoke gave him 90. When it was Jason’s turn I grip on the doll tighter as excitement and nervousness’ fill my veins. I knew he’ll do good, he always do. As he started his heartbreaking song, I begun swaying my body feeling every lyrics and emotion he put on it. It was really touching and I was fighting myself not to tear up.

“Yah, are you his fan?” Jin-gook asked me as he pulls my hands down that was still up in the air even though his performance is already done. I felt my cheeks hot due to the embarrassment I hide behind the doll, nodding and he let go of chuckle.

“It’s really obvious”, he told me.

The assessments continue and the number of students that hasn’t been called is decreasing. I look at Jason to gain strength as I was starting to feel nervous but to my dismay he was having conversation with Ri ah, my shoulders suddenly become heavy as I try to look at my boy doll.

“Let’s enjoy”, I heard Samdong mumble and we all look at him.

“Like what Mr. Kang said let’s enjoy this assessment like what we did with the genie performance”, he said smiling at us. Jin-gook shook his head chuckling; I smile as I remember the words left by Mr. Kang.

“Go Hyemi!”

‘oh!’

Hyemi stood up as her name has been called. Once again she was back in her serious face making us all nervous.

“Enjoy”, Samdong once again mumble. She turns to me and I gave her a fighting sign before she walk her way to the front. We are all surprise when she turn to the professor and asked him if she can change her song, and my worries start to rise again, why did she plan to change her song at this moment, had she finally realize what Mr. Kang said about the true meaning of singing.

When she begun to sing every one turns silent and only focuses on her, as she sings winter child. I agree she got the best vocals in all the students inside this room but there is something that surprise us all when she started singing, the emotion that once wasn’t there all shown up. Her face lighten up as she sang, she actually learns how to sing for someone. I was actually singing with her as she finally went out of her shell.

Everyone is stunned at the genuine expression on her face, and she even has tears in her eyes at song’s end. Teacher Gong awards her a perfect score and that means she won the bet. This call for a celebration later, I told myself. Hyemi walked back to her seat with a smile on her face.

“Congrats”, I softly mumble as she walks past me.

Not long after that I was finally called. I heavy a deep sigh before walking toward the front, I took the mic and glance at Jason. I cleared my throat due to nervousness’ closing my eyes to calm myself. I had practice it a lot of times and I should do better since Jason is in front of me. He might not be looking but he’ll hear me, he will. When I open my eyes all attention was turn to me and the song begun to play.

 

~o0o~