Essay

Unchained

Chapter 20

 

 

 

 

 

“You sure you’re okay?” Youngjae asked, removing his hand from Ha Rin’s shoulder as they on the front porch. She gave a meek nod, rubbing her eye with her thumb.

 

“Do you want to come in?” Ha Rin suggested, slipping her key in the door.

 

Is that a good idea? Youngjae stood straight in deep thought, possibly weighing the pros and cons of what could come of her suggestion.

 

“Oh, Come On! I’ve seen your house.” She chuckled pleadingly. “If you’re worried about my brother, I’ll protect you.” She gave him a small wink and smirked before opening the front door fully. Using her spare arm, she gestured inside.

 

Overcoming his conscious, Youngjae walked towards Ha Rin gave her a confirming nod. With a smile she led him inside.

 

“Hey, Oppa,” She chimed as she took her shoes off and placed them beside the door. Ha Rin approached her brother who was watching television, Youngjae cautiously following.

 

“Annyeong, Chunsa.” He responded happily.

 

“Youngjae’s here too,” she informed as she signalled him to follow her to the living room.

 

Byunghun turned his head to see Youngjae and gave him a slight nod to acknowledge he was there..

 

“Ah, annyeonghaseyo,” Youngjae bowed, expecting the worst.

 

The older boy let off a slight laugh at his formalities before smiling brightly at him.

 

“Come,” he said grinning, “Sit. I don’t bite…. hard.”

 

This guy really has mood swings.

 


 

 

 

 

Before she knew it, two weeks had past. Two weeks of going to Uni, eating lunch with Youngjae and his friends and coming home to madly try and finish her English essay that was gnawing at the inside of her head. On weekends Youngjae would come visit sometimes, Ha Rin was just glad that he and her brother got along well.

 

Ha Rin sat back in her chair satisfied with herself as she looked at her completed essay ready for typing. She remembered how she begged her English teacher to show mercy but all he said was ‘Get Byunghun to help you.’ Like that did anything though.

 

Leaning forwards again, she gather the papers in a pile and was about to start typing it up. Maybe I should get Byunghun to look it over first…

Agreeing with her subconscious, she waltzed down the hallway and knocked at her brother’s door before opening it. She found him sitting on his bed listening to music. Seeing her enter he took of his headphones.

 

Ha Rin stood proudly in front him, holding out her essay draft. The older boy let a small chuckle as he grabbed it.

 

“Finally finished… It took long enough,” he teased causing Ha Rin to pout.

 

“Well you wouldn’t help me,” She countered, poking out her tongue. She down next to him on his bed. “Can you check it Oppa?”

 

He gave a slight nod before bringing it to his sight. He had only been glancing at it for a little less than a second before he burst out laughing. He quickly gave it back to Ha Rin and continued to laugh. She just blankly stared at him.

 

“You haven’t even read it!” She stated, “What’s so funny,”

 

Byunghun quickly snatched the essay back and pointed to the title, “I have only read the title and it makes no sense to me!” he chuckled.

 

“What do you mean no sense?” Ha Rin huffed, jolting her hands to her hips. “It’s my life story.. can’t you read.”

 

He stopped laughing and looked serious. “Ha Rin-ah…” he said as he pointed to the title, “ If we want to say something like that, we say ‘My life Story’ or Autobiography.’”

 

The older boy rested his head in his hands before continuing, “Not ‘My story of the life of me’...” He handed her back, “It like beating ‘round a bush, it’s to repetitive. Use a translating website or something..”

 

“But Oppa!” She whined, waving her essay around frantically, “I’m obviously hopeless, why can’t you help me?!”

 

“Aish, fine.” he sighed snatching the essay back, “Get me a pen.”

 


 

 

 

 

“Well done, Miss Lee.” Her English teacher spoke as he placed her marked essay down on her desk. She looked at it quickly. A-! Haha thanks Oppa. “Looks like you were panicking for nothing, see.. you really are good at this.”

 

“T-thanks seonsaengnim,” she nervously rubbed the back of her neck.

 

The teacher walked away and finished handing out the rest of the results.

 


 

 

 

 

“How did you go with your English essay?” Youngjae asked casually as they walked towards their usual seats. “Did you do well?”

 

“I got an A minus,” she smiled.

 

“But I thought you ?” He raised an eyebrow.

 

Ha Rin’s shoulders deflated, “I kinda… do”

 

He stopped walking and eyed her curiously, “You got Hyung to help you right?”

 

“Yep, it was so bad, Byunghun Oppa had to fix it.” she sighed before perking up again, “But! I still got an A minus!”

 

Youngjae rolled his eyes as they sat down with the rest of the group.

 


 

 

 

 

The new boy; well not so new anymore as he’d been there for two weeks, sat at at table with Gi Young and Sung Gi. He smiled slightly as the girls around him would fight for a seat at the tables around him.

 

His eyes wondered to Ha Rin who was on the other side of the cafeteria, laughing at something or rather. This is crazy, it’s been weeks and you still haven’t noticed me.

 

He was broken out of his thoughts by the sound of Gi Young’s Voice.

 

“Oppa, did you hear what I said?” She asked, waving a hand in front of his face.

Reluctantly he pulled his eyes away from the girl in his sight to look at his Girlfriend.; He wasn’t exactly happy with that title, he only said yes to get her to stop bothering him. “No, sorry.”

 

Gi Young began to talk again but he still wasn’t listening. Outcast, there’s something about you, how can I be attracted to you?