Memories Remain

Opposites

Years had passed, and all of them had graduated. Everyone is now living their own lives. 

There was a lot of changes too... Nu'est became everyone's friend, and the history of being bullies was forgotten long ago. Key graduated first than the rest, and now, he is attending college. Taemin and Sulli decided to attend college too while Nu'est entered business life early, helping their parents in light jobs and are being trained to inherit their some of their family's companies. 

But their friendship never faded away, and they still have time to bond around. Nu'est and Taemin's side would always plan to meet at one's house and have a little chat. Years had passed well for all of them...

Except for one.

After Soomin's death, Ren changed greatly. He wasn't that that Ren they used to know who was lively and happy. Now, he rarely talks, smiles, he rarely laughs nor socializes. The only friends he had made were Nu'est, Taemin, Sulli and Key. He beecame a very different person after his twin's death, plus, he is often dazed.

Ren only cared for three things in the world. First, his friends, second, his family and third, the business he is handling now. Aside from this, whenever they'll have meetings, Ren wouldn't talk much. He rarely smiles too, making the others worry.

This time, everyone decided to stop by at JR's home. Of course, everyone agreed and went there, wasting no time at all.

"JR!" Baekho greeted as he and JR shook hands. "Man, I missed you!"

"Aish, we just saw each other last year, didn't we?" JR smiled. 

"Yah, a year is a long time!" Aron chuckled as he wrapped his arm around JR. 

"So, how's business going?" Minhyun asked.

"Aigoo, thinking about it gives me extreme stress!" JR groaned. "Meetings here, meetings there, projects here and there every now and then! How about you?"

"Same." all three said in unison. JR turned to Ren, who was as usual, wasn't uttering a word.

"So, how's life, Ren?" JR asked.

"Fine." Ren softly answered. 

"How about business? I heard from appa that your umma is going to give you one of your family's biggest company!"

"Jinjja?!" Baekho cried.

"Woah, congratulations!" Minhyun clapped.

"Nae. Everything's quite fine." Ren answered. Hearing Ren's short answers made them quite worried and feel a bit awkward. Soon, Taemin and the rest arrived too, dressed quite well. 

"Hey!" Sulli cheerfully waved upon seeing the Nu'est guys.

"Hey!" they greeted warmly.

"How's it been going?" Key asked with a cheerful smile. "How's business life?"

"Stressful..." they all answered in unison. The three responded with a soft chuckle. 

"Hey, we prepared some snacks, dig in!" JR said as he called the maids to bring in the tea and the pastries and be served to the guests. Everyone chatted and laughed together as they reminisced the old memories. All of them felt happy...

Well, almost.

Ren felt sad whenever they bring the past back. Yes, they had lots of happy memories, but along with that is one sad fact.

That Choi Soomin died.

"Then Baekho was like 'Oh my freaking god!!!' before finally falling down the stairs." Aron laughed.

"His facial expression was really... wow!" Minhyun chuckled.

"Aish, but Aron's incident was funnier, right?" Baekho pouted. "Remember when Taemin dressed as the girl in the horror movie and popped out of no where? God, Aron fell of his chair!"

Again, everyone laughed, especially Taemin. "His expression was priceless!" Sulli giggled.

Taemin noticed Ren's paleness, and at that moment, his laughing stopped. His smile faded, he knew exactly the pain Ren has. He tried to ignore him and continue being happy, but seeing the poor guy's expression pained him. 

Hours passed and everyone began to leave. JR and Taemin decided to stop by at Ren's house to discuss some things with him. Upon arriving, Ren's foster parents greeted the two warmly and afterwards, the three headed to Ren's room.

"Ren-ah, I've been noticing your paleness all these years." JR began. 

"Dude, you need to move on." Taemin added as he crossed his arms. "Look, everyone moved on, and yes it's hard to accept that fact that Soomin's dead, but we need to keep going. We must not be stuck in the past and keep moving forwards towards the future, right?"

Ren was quiet. He lowered his head after untying his hair. After all these years, Ren managed to remain the same length of his blonde hair. He knew that he should move on, but it wasn't that easy, especially because the one who was taken away was no other than his sister.

Sure, Soomin encountered this too, but there was one difference seen. Soomin had chances on seeing Ren again, but him? No. Soomin's gone forever, she's dead. She won't return, nor will he see her again.

"Ren, look at me and Taemin." JR said, grabbing the blonde's attention quickly. "Me and Taemin loved Soomin too, and it was pretty hard to accept that fact too. We loved her. In fact, Taemin here is quite luckier, he got to spend some time with Soomin but me? No. I only knew it at the last minute. Ren, we need to move on."

"I know." Ren answered. "But... it's not that easy, guys. I love her too, and she's my sister whom I was separated for ten years! I didn't have much bonding moments with her, and it only lasted for months! Sure, memories came back and I got to meet my real parents, but... but it just-"

"Ren, listen here dude." Taemin said as he sat beside Ren. "If Soomin was here, she'd probably say the same things me and JR told. Move on, bro, and don't worry about me. Make a better future."

"I guess she would say that." Ren nodded.

"Vanish the pain within." JR added. "Let not that pain hinder you to be better."

Ren nodded. What the two boys said were right, he should move on, but how? He can't forget that day... 

The day they knew that Soomin was dead.

=============================================================================================

"Ms. Choi Soomin is dead, Mr. Choi." the doctor said.

"ANI! Aniyo! She can't be!" Ren cried. "Where's my sister?!"

"Ren, calm do-"

"Where's Soomin?! Where is she?!"

The doctor pointed on the room where he came, and in a flash, Ren dashed to that room with the others following behind. Upon arriving there, Ren's eyes widened. His sister was covered with a white blanket. Ren slowly approached the lifeless body. He slowly removed the blanket, revealing the lifeless face of Soomin.

"Oh dear god..." Sulli mumbled as she fell on her knees, with Key quickly catching the young girl. She began weeping along with the others. 

Soomin was dead, and that's something they can't accept.

"Soomin.." JR mumbled as he saw the love of his life lifeless infront of him.

Ren bursts into tears as he hugged his lifeless twin. For some reason, Soomin looked really peaceful after she died. "I'm so sorry, Soomin. I hope you can forgive me..." Ren weeped as tears rolled down his eyes.

The others didn't want to pull him back. The way Ren cried, it pained them. Having his twin die, it was obviously painful. Soon, a nurse arrived inside the room, holding something. "Mr. Choi?"

Ren quickly turned around to see the older woman call his name. "Nae?"

"I... um... I found this in her room not long from now." the nurse said as she handed Ren a letter. Ren quickly got it and began reading it. It was obviously Soomin's handwriting, but this time, it was quite messy, probably because she didn't have much strength to write.

"To my friends, Nu'est and especially, by beloved twin brother, Ren,
                Hey. I'm sorry if my handwriting's terrible, I can't really write that well. My arm hurts a lot after the accident. Don't worry, I'll endure this pain so I can succeed on giving this last message to you guys. 
                So, I know that I don't have enough time. Don't deny it, I'll die any minute now, and I've accepted that. I guess you guys must see me lifeless by now that you're reading this letter. Guys, don't be sad okay? Well... you would be sad, but I'll tell you guys something. Move on and don't be stuck in the past, arraseo? I don't like that. Move on, and have a bright future!
                Baekho, Minhyun and Aron, this is a message for you three. Look, I had forgiven you already, so don't feel guilty anymore, arraseo? Just promise me that you three won't be trouble makers anymore and befriend everyone! Take care of Sulli, and yes, I'm talking to you Kang Dongho! Take for of Sulli or else I'll haunt you! Nah, just kidding, just take care of her, arraseo? Yah! Hwang Minhyun and Kwak Youngmin, take care of Key-hyung, arraseo?
               Sulli and Key-hyung. First of all, thanks for being there for me all these years. You are like my sister and brother, and without you to guide me and make me laugh and smile, I bet I won't be like this. You, along with taemin, comforted me while me and Ren were separated. Thank you very much.
               JR and Taemin, this message is for both of you. Taemin, thanks for being my prince when Ren and I were separated. You really did your best, and thanks. I'd appreciate that forever. JR, I love you, okay? You heard me say that lately, nae? I know you love me too, and I'm sorry for not realizing earlier that I feel the same. Find a better girl to love, arraseo? Love her the way you loved me. :)
               Last but not the least, my beloved twin brother, Choi Minki, also known as Ren. Ren, I know it's painful, seeing me dead by now. I know you're crying right now and can't accept that fact, but you need to. You've gotta move on. I want my twin to have a great future, and I don't want to be a hinder. We're twins forever, and I hope you won't forget me again. I won't forget you, don't worry. Also, along with this letter, I left my locket. I want you to wear that along with yours, arraseo? 
              Do well, everyone! I'll miss you! Saranghe, HWAITING!
                                                                                                                                                                                 Love,
                                                                                                                                                                                  ~Choi Soomin~"

Upon reading the letter aloud, everyone began tearing up. The messages the young girl left touched them. Ren was the one sobbing the most as the nurse handed to him her locket. As what Soomin told, Ren quickly wore the locket around his neck. He hugged Soomin tightly and continued crying beside her. 

"Soomin-ah, I hope your soul rests in peace." Ren whispered as he hugged her tighter. 

After that incident, Ren decided to tell their real parents about Soomin's death the day after. At the funeral, Ren was the one who tried not to cry any longer while their parents still can't accept that fact that their daughter died.

"Ren." Mrs. Choi called out.

"Ye, umma?" Ren asked.

"If you're feeling guilty about your sister's death, don't. She did it willingly to save you."

"Y-ye, umma..."

=============================================================================================

Soon, JR and Taemin finally left. Ren was dazed again by the past. He saw everything again, the death of Soomin, everything. Every piece of his memory was repeating. Tears rolled down his eyes again as he began crying. 

"Soomin... mianhe, I can't... I can't do this anymore." Ren mumbled as he stood up. He walked towards his closet and opened a drawer. Inside, he found a knife that he purposely put there for self defense. But defense isn't his reason now.

He quickly grabbed it and did it.

Ren cut his wrist and crimson liquid began flowing down. He slowly felt weak due to blood loss and fell on the floor. His vision was getting blurry. 

"Soomin... wait for we, arraseo?" Ren smiled as he closed his eyes and tears rolled down his eyes. "We'll see each other again, just wait."

=============================================================================================

The next week passed and everyone was wearing black. Ren's foster parents were standing in front of a coffin and who was inside?

A blonde haired boy... 

Nu'est was sitting there as well, and so were Taemin, Sulli and Key, and a few relatives. "I can't believe... he did that." JR mumbled as he tightened his grip on the newspaper he was holding onto.

In the newspaper, the headlights showed:

"CHOI FAMILY'S HEIR, CHOI MINKI, FOUND DEAD IN THE CHOI MANSION. CAUSE OF DEATH: BLOOD LOSS AFTER WRIST CUTTING."

A week before, Ren was found dead. His parents found him dead of course, but to their surprise, Ren seemed to have died smiling, thus, they thought he had a peaceful death. Everyone was crying. First, Soomin, then Ren? 

"I guess Ren can't stand it any longer that it leaded him to committed suicide." Key softly said. 

"He can't stand the fact that his sister is dead, thus, he decided to follow her." Aron mumbled.

"Such great yet sad sibling-love." Sulli weeped. "I feel bad yet happy for them. Finally, they'll be reunited."

"Let's just pray that the two's souls find peace, arraseo?" Taemin said.

"Nae."