Soft Side

Opposites

RING!!!

RING!!!

RING!!!

It was early in the morning when the ringing started. It ruined Soomin's peaceful sleep and made her jolt out of bed. Her black hair was a total mess and is starting to look similar to that of a bird's nest. Her eyes were half opened and she can barely walk. She wobbled out of her room, bumping things and finally, falling down.

Years back then at Daegu, Soomin, Taemin, Key and Sulli were juniors of a guy named Lee Jinki a.k.a Onew. He's greatly noticed with his pure personality and Soomin herself got close to him. He was also somewhat a klutz, bumping and falling here and there, thus the birth of "Onew Condition". The way Soomin bumped things and fell made her remember Onew and his Onew Condition.

"Oh great, I'm diagnosed with Onew Condition!" Soomin softly sighed as she got up and ran to where the ringing was. Later did she find out that the phone was the one producing the ringing. She wobbled towards the phone and lazily answered it.

"Yoboseyo?" she yawned as she answered the phone.

"Good morning, sleepy head." a familiar voice answered. Soomin quickly noticed the voice and gave the person on the other line a deep sigh before babbling nonsense to him.

"YAH! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TIME IT IS?! IT'S FREAKING SEVEN FIFTEEN! WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU WANT AT THIS TIME CHOI MINKI?!" Soomin angrily cried.

"Yah, yah! Chill!" Ren cried on the other line, trying to calm his sister down.

"Chill?! Dude, you woke me up at such an early time! Aigoo, I barely slept last night..." Soomin sighed as she scratched her head.

"Mianhe..." Ren laughed.

"Okay, straight to the point, why'd you call?"

"Oh, right. You see, we're attending a little gathering party tonight and umma is inviting you to come along, well, if you're free. So... what do you say?"

"Hm, I don't know. Those parties aren't really my type, but yeah, I'm free."

"Aw, umma was really looking forward to you joining us..." Ren sighed, purposely making his voice sound cute.

"Aish, arraseo, arraseo! I'll join you!" Soomin cried upon hearing Ren's cute voice. "Can you come and pick me up again?"

"Sure! I'll be there by... eleven or twelve, okay?"

"Sure..."

With that, Soomin dropped he phone and collapsed back on her bed, trying to sleep more. Well, it was only seven, and Ren said he'll come by at eleven, right? Therefore, Soomin 4 more hours... She can still sleep for three more hours, then get ready. That way, she'll manage time well... maybe.

Soomin felt that she will wake in time, especially since she set her alarm clock to do so. Exactly 10:00 and she must wake up! After setting the clock, Soomin dozed off again.

==============================================================================================

RING!!!

"Wha-?! What the what?!" Soomin cried as she jolted. Finding out that it was just her alarm clock, she quickly turned it off and began getting ready. She ate breakfast, showered and slacked off for a bit. After a couple of moments, she began dressing up, and of course, as plain as ever, well, that was according to what Ren said. Of course, she didn't care if she even annoyed the heck out of him! It was her style, why does he even care?

After showering, Soomin quickly dressed up. She put on her jeans and a printed colored shirt, and even a cap. She had a few minutes left, so she used them up to watch T.V.

A couple of minutes later, a knock was heard from the door. She knew who was behind it, thus, she quickly opened it. As expected, it was Ren. "Hey~!" Soomin smiled as she greeted Ren, who was as usual, dressed fashionably.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?!" Ren scolded.

"Yah, I'm dressed already, see?" Soomin cried.

"That? Yah, you're style is... erm..."

"I know, I know! Aish, you're so like Key-hyung." Soomin sighed and grabbed Ren by the arm. "Kajja?"

"Aish, kajja..."

The twins quickly headed back to Ren's residence, walking carefully for no one to notice them.

==============================================================================================

As soon as they got there, the maids greeted Soomin and Ren for their return. Ren's foster mother and father welcomed them too, and smiled upon seeing Soomin's face. "Ah, it's great that you can join us along, Soomin-ah!" Ren's foster mother smiled. 

"I was free today, so, you're welcome." Soomin smiled. 

"Oh, I bought a dress for you, dear. You can fit it upstairs."

"Dress? You shouldn't have, ma'am-"

"Oh dear, just call me imo!"

"A-alright, you shouldn't have bought me one, imo! And besides, the way I look, a dress won't fit me, imo... I look like a guy!"

"That's why we have hair extensions, dear."

Soomin was frozen at place as she blinked a few times. She just looked at Ren, who was seemingly imagining her in a dress, which she managed to remove by snapping him out. "UMMA, YOU'RE A REAL GENIUS!" Ren smiled as he looked at Soomin, who was looking a bit unsatisfied.

"Oh no, I'm not wearing one!"

Ren sighed as he glared at Soomin. "I'm really looking forward on seeing you in a dress!" Ren smirked. "I bet you'll look pretty, Soomin!"

"Aish, shut up."

Seeing the two teasing made Ren's foster parents smile and ruffle their hair. "Aigoo, you two really are twins. Now, I want you two to start dressing up as soon as the clock strikes 5, begin dressing up, arraseo?"

"Imo, can't I just wear a tuxedo or whatever aside from a dress?" Soomin whined.

"A dress suits you more, dear, trust me." Ren's foster mother smiled.

"Aigoo... alright then."

==============================================================================================

Soon, the clock strikes at 5 and the twins quickly rushed to get ready. Soomin showered first, then Ren. Afterwards, the twins began to dress up. Ren decided to dress up in a different room and allowed Soomin to dress up in his room. Ren quickly finished and knocked on his room. "Soomin, are you done dressing up?" Ren asked.

"Almost, just the hair extensions!" Soomin cried.

"Do you even know how to put them?"

"Well... not really."

"Aish, I'm coming in!"

Upon opening the door, Ren bursted into laughter upon seeing Soomin. "Ommo, you look like a guy in a gown! Aigoo, you look ridiculous, Choi Soomin!" Ren laughed.

"I told you this thing doesn't match me!" Soomin pouted. "Do you have a spare tuxedo or something?"

"Aigoo, don't take things seriously!" Ren giggled as he tried standing up. He quickly grabbed the hair extensions from Soomin's hand and asked her to sit down. Soomin quickly did so and let her twin attach the extensions instead. To her surprise, Ren seemed like an expert, he easily attached them! Afterwards, he pulled away to get a better look of his sister.

"You look better!" Ren smiled and grabbed some make up. "Now, let's apply a bit of make up on you, arraseo?"

"MWO!? Yah, it's been years since I've applied that! My skin isn't that used to it anymore!" Soomin cried.

"Nothing'll happen, okay? It'll just be a small amount!" Ren smiled as he applied an eye liner on her. Soomin was a bit shocked the way Ren put eye liner on her. 

"Yah, you seem used to this. Are you dreaming of becoming a stylist?" Soomin asked.

"Ani, I often do this to myself." Ren answered. "I apply eye liner all the time."

"Jinjja? Woah, you're too stylish for a boy!" 

"And you're too UN-lady like!"

Soomin just giggled upon hearing Ren. Soon, Ren finished the eye liner part and applied some make up on her face. Foundation, blush, and other stuff. Afterwards, Ren smiled upon seeing how different his sister looked like.

"Minki-ah! Soomin-ah! Are you two done yet?" Ren's foster mother cried.

"Coming, umma!" Ren cried as he came out of his room. Hand by hand, Soomin came out as well, clad in a lilac-colored gown with her once black hair extended into a slightly curly style. She wore the same locket Ren is wearing. Ren's foster parents can barely recognize her! 

"Ommo, Soomin-ah! You look gorgeous!" Ren's foster father smiled. "You look very different!"

"I told you~ You look prettier that way~!" Ren's foster mother giggled. "Aigoo... such a lovely young lady!"

"Imo..." Soomin smiled as she turned bright red. To be honest, it was her first time wearing such a lovely gown! Back at Daegu, she only wore simple dresses, and since she wasn't that "wealthy", she didn't have the chance to attend luxurious parties. She never saw guys in tuxedo except in television or maybe weddings. She thought that she'd have the chance to wear one of these gowns when she marries her "dream" guy. Thanks to her twin brother Ren, she had this chance! For some reason, it felt weird... It was like, it wasn't her. 

"Let's go, we'll be late for the party." Ren's foster father said as he and Ren's foster mother walked out. Ren was about to follow when Soomin tugged him back. 

"Waeyo?" Ren asked.

"Can you bring an extra tuxedo?" Soomin giggled.

"Eh? Waeyo?"

"Just do it, please?"

Ren smiled as he nodded. He quickly ran back to his room and returned carrying a box. With that, the twins hurried out too.

==============================================================================================

Upon arriving at their destination, Soomin's eyes grew wide. "Woah, this place is jjang!" Soomin cried as she saw the enormous place. Ren simply smiled on how amazed his sister was, even letting out a small laugh, confusing Soomin. "Waeyo?" she asked as she raised a brow on Ren.

"You look cute when you're amazed." Ren giggled. 

"Aish... shut up." Soomin smiled as she wrapped her arm around Ren's and walked inside. Ren and Soomin were permitted to go anywhere while Ren's foster parents mingled with some friends and acquaintances. "Yah, do you often attend this kind of events?" Soomin asked, her arm still wrapped around Ren's.

"Nae. Umma and appa often bring me along." Ren nodded. "C'mon, I'll show you around... and let's get some drinks, I'm thirsty!"

"Arraseo~"

The twins spent the whole day walking here and there, and Soomin started getting used to the dress. Just as when the twins were having the time of their life, a familiar voice surprised them.

"Ren?" 

As Ren turned around, to his astonishment, it was JR! Right, JR of Nu'est! Kim Jonghyun! Ren and Soomin's eyes bursted wide. "J-JR?! What are you doing here?!" Ren cried.

"Yah, I always come to these kinds of events!" JR smiled. Upon seeing Soomin, who was looking VERY feminine, JR blinked a few times before turning to Ren. "Yah, Ren-ah, who's the girl?" he asked.

Ren turned to Soomin and gave a secret smile. He knew that JR didn't recognize Soomin is often seen boyish, and her hair had extensions, thus, she looked like a different person! Of course, Ren didn't know how to answer, he can't just tell JR that the girl was Soomin! No body in Nu'est knows that Soomin is a girl! "Er... her? She's um... some.... girl that I met here!"

JR blinked a few times. Ren mingling with a girl he just met in this party is so unlike him! "Jinjja? I see some improvement with your attitude, Ren." JR smiled, "Mind introducing her to me?" 

"Er... I just met her, I don't know her name yet." Ren lied, faking a smile.

"Ah, jinjja? Well, then, I'm Kim Jonghyun, you can call me JR instead." JR said as he stretched his hand to Soomin. Soomin simply smiled and shook his hand. She refused to talk, as according to what Ren said before, JR has this ability to memorize people by their voices. She fears that if she talks, JR might recognize her. "Do you mind if I come along?"

"Not at all!" Ren smiled. The three spent the whole evening chatting, except for Soomin. They laughed, went here and there, and others. Soon, this slow music came up, making Ren smirk secretly. "JR, I'm going somewhere for a while, mind watching her for me for the time being?"

JR was dumbfounded when Ren shoved Soomin to him. Ren was no where to be found and the two weren't even able to reply. "So, may I have this dance?" JR smiled as he asked for Soomin's hand. Soomin was astonished but seeing how soft JR was made her giggle and agreed to dance with him. 

While dancing with JR, Soomin's childhood memories came rushing back. She remembered those times when she and Ren were little and they used to dance like this. She pretended that she was a princess and Ren was her prince. Soon, when Ren and her were separated, Taemin took his place as her prince. The two once danced like this and Soomin would often be amazed on how great Taemin danced! 

"So... I recognized that you don't talk. Is there a reason?" JR asked. Soomin looked at him, tilting her head slightly before smiling. She shook her head, still refusing to talk. "Aigoo... are you mute or something?"

Again, Soomin shook her head and glared at JR, making him smile a bit. "I see you and Ren are quite close. Believe me or not, Ren's not that type of guy who's friendly, and isn't really the type to get close with girls. I'm glad you and him are close, you're actually the first one to get close to him."

Soomin smiled upon hearing JR's words. Of course she'd get close to him, they're twins for goodness' sake! Of course, she can't say that, she didn't want to blow her cover now, did she? "It sounds weird, but you remind me of someone." JR chuckled, making Soomin raise her head. She tilted her head, a sign that she was curious about what JR was saying. "You don't know him though, but I'll tell you though."

"His name is Choi Soomin. He's once enemies with me and my group, Nu'est. Ren's a part of it so obviously, he hated him too, and pretty much he hated him the most for some reason. The two of you bear the same resemblance. I don't suppose you two are related, right?"

Soomin blinked a few times before putting up a faint smile. The words that escaped JR's words melted her heart. She smiled at him, and JR understood her. "He's a tough type, he's always there to protect his friends. I've got to admit, he's really good looking, well, he's an ulzzang, what can I say?" JR chuckled. "Anyways, we're okay now, I can't say that we're friends already.. but the hatred vanished. To admit it, but please don't tell Ren, I think I'm softening up on that boy."

Soomin blinked a few times and giggled. "Yeah, I've got a soft side for the boy! I mean, he seems pure by heart, who wouldn't like him?" JR smiled. Soomin smiled back exactly at the time Ren came back. Seeing her brother return, Soomin quickly let go of JR and ran towards him, clinging her arm on him. 

"Thanks for watching out on her." Ren smiled as he whispered something to Soomin. The two waved goodbye to JR, who waved back at him. The twins walked off, vanishing in the thick crowd.

==============================================================================================

"So, how was your little dance with JR?" Ren asked, nudging his sister a bit.

"Kind of reminded me of us when we were little." Soomin smiled. "He's a great dancer! And guess what he told me~"

"What?"

"He has a soft side on me!" 

"Jinjja? Whoa, ddaebak!"

"I know, right? Aigoo..."

"Well good luck on him~"

"Mwo?"

"Hello? You're a girl, he's a boy, it's obvious you'll end up together!"

"Yah, I've got the appearance of a boy!"

"Psh... whatever..."