The Call

Opposites

"B-Baekho?"

Upon hearing Baekho's voice, Taemin sent a worried look at Soomin, which the young girl easily saw.

"Put it in loud speaker." Soomin mouthed. Taemin nodded and did so. There, the two can both hear Baekho's voice. Once she heard Baekho's voice, Soomin felt chills run up and down her spine. Something was not right...

"Why'd you call?" Taemin asked.

"Oh, right, yes, I almost forgot." Baekho laughed, evilly laughed. "You see... I'm here to carry a very important news to both of you. I know that Soomin is with you, Taemin."

"How did you-"

"Save the questions later. Chill, let me talk." Baekho said. "Okay, so, do you have any ideas why I called? Oh, how stupid of me, of course you don't! I'll cut the chase. Along with me is someone Soomin is quite close to, here, he'll talk with you."

Upon hearing that Baekho was along with "someone she was close to", Soomin's heart began racing. There were three options: Key, Sulli or Ren. Then, a familiar voice spoke up, making Soomin and Taemin's eyes grow wide.

"Soomin! Taemin!" 

It was JR's voice. He was sounding tired, and was panting heavily. Behind, they can hear mocking laughter. "Taemin! Soomin! Whatever you do, don't listen to Baekho! Don't do what he says, arraseo?! Just-"

"Okay, that's enough, JR." Baekho said after a great thud was heard.

"What's happening there?!" Taemin cried.

"You see, JR is here with the whole Nu'est. We're in the school's open grounds, and we're growing bored. JR had obviously encountered great changes, thanks to that friend Soomin of yours. He changed our leader! It's his fault."

"What are you sayi-"

"Any who~ I want you to come here at our place. This is not an invitation, but an order. You see, if you don't come quickly, not only JR will suffer."

There, Taemin and Soomin heard two more familiar voices shouting their names. 

The voices were Sulli and Key. 

"Heard that?" Baekho chuckled. "Those are your beloved friends, shouting for help. That's enough to convince you to go here, right? So, here's the deal, Lee Taemin, come here with Soomin. Just. You. Two. No one else, and I swear, if you bring someone or a damn group along, you're friends are dead!"

"What did you do to them?!"

"None yet... well, let me correct that statement, we beat them up a bit out of boredom." Baekho laughed. "Anyways, we'll be waiting until six, arraseo? If you don't hurry here, I can assure that three persons will be dead meat. See you~"

"Baekho you devil! Don't you dare lay a finger on the-!" 

But Taemin's words were cut off as soon as Baekho ended their call. His phone slipped down his hands as he fell on the couch. Soomin sat beside him and gathered all her courage to hold his hand. Taemin felt her touch and showed her emotion filled eyes. They showed how worried, confused, angry and sad he was. Three people were held victims by Nu'est. 

"What do we do?" Taemin asked as he sighed and brought his right arm over his eyes. "That damn Nu'est... they've... they've taken hostage of Sulli and Key-hyung.... and.... JR."

"Why on earth would they do a thing?" Soomin mumbled. She thought about Ren, was Ren pretending to her all this time? No, not only Ren but the whole Nu'est! Their friendship was a big lie! 

But something told her that Ren didn't. They were twins, right? He can't do such thing! Probably, he was just dragged by the others and for his cover not to be blown, he had to do so. Yes, that was the only reason she can see. Ren can't do such hideous action! She knew that she had changed him. She looked at Taemin again, who was dazed by confusion.

Then, a plan hatched in her mind.

"Taemin, we need to go." Soomin said as she stood up and tried making Taemin stand up as well. Taemin looked straight into her eyes, slightly confused.

"Mwo?"

"We're saving our friends."

"Are you crazy?! Soomin, do you remember what they did to you? They are stronger than us combined! They beat me and you! We are nothing compared to those four!"

"Yah! Lee Taemin! Are you just going to abandon Sulli and Key-hyung?! Those two persons that accompanied you and me for years?! Those two persons we treated as sister and brother? Is that how are friendship is?!"

"I know that, Soomin, but-"

"Taemin, we made a promise, right? Together forever. We won't abandon them, even if it means us getting beaten into a pulp!"

"Soomin, I have no problems on getting beaten up, arraseo?" Taemin said as he stood up and gripped Soomin's hand. "I am worried for you. I don't want you hurt! No more... I don't want you hurt anymore."

"So, what are you saying?"

"You're staying."

"But you heard Baekho, right? Both of us are supposed to go there! If not, Sulli, Key-hyung and JR are..."

"I know. That's what I'm worried of... and I don't know what to do..." Taemin sighed as he hugged Soomin. "I just don't want you hurt. I... can't let my beloved girl be hurt again."

"Taemin, listen here." Soomin said as she caressed his cheeks. "Look, even if I'm a girl, I am capable of things you are. Remember, I am a boy in my state, and I've completely adapted into things. My abilities are that of a man's, my personality, my strength, everything. I told you a million times now, didn't I? I can do this. I promise... everything'll be okay." 

With her reassuring smile, Taemin was nearly convinced. But facing the fact that she'd get hurt if she comes was too hard for Taemin to accept. "No, I... I can't let you... I'm sorry."

"Taemin, listen to me..." Soomin said as she held his hand. "I'm ready to face the consequences Nu'est will throw on me and you. Besides, it's for Sulli and Key-hyung, right? And it's for JR too-"

JR. Was she now fighting for that guy? 

Her eyes blinked a few times. Her reason wasn't just because of Sulli and Key, but for JR. For some odd reason, her heart raced when she said JR's name. Faster than that she feels when she is with Taemin. What was the meaning of this?

Heart racing faster than when she is with Taemin? Feeling anxious around him? Wanting so bad to comfort him? There was something fishy about this..

No... it can't be...

It definitely can't be!

Does that means...

Her heart is owned by JR?!

She fell into a deep trance as she fell on the couch, confusing Taemin.

She can't possibly be in love with JR, her heart belongs to Taemin, and she had proved this! Meanwhile, JR? Nothing... And besides, she is Taemin's girlfriend now, isn't she? She can't be in love with another man, that's wrong! JR was nothing but "someone" to her, while Taemin, he is like a brother for her!

Wait... that's it!

Taemin is like a brother towards her. Was it possible that she mistook that feeling of "brotherly love" towards Taemin for true love? No wonder she never felt "that feeling" whenever she was with her. When she interlocked her hands with his, her heart did race, but was it because she mistook that feeling as love? When he hugs her, she felt the same. When she received that bracelet, she felt touched, not flustered or anything... just touched.

"Soomin, what's wrong? Snap out of it!" Taemin cried, making Soomin shake her head and look at Taemin, who was leaning near her. "Are you okay?"

Soomin lowered her head. How was she supposed to tell Taemin that? If she she bluntly says that she's in love with JR instead, it'll hurt the poor guy! After three months of being couples, he'll end up heartbroken! 

But she needs to tell him, right? She needed to be honest with him.

"Taemin... I realized something..." Soomin softly said as she forced Taemin to sit down.

"What is it?" Taemin asked.

"Don't be shocked, arraseo?"

"Nae, I won't."

"You promise?"

"I promise..."

Soomin reassured a smile as she gathered the strength to tell Taemin the truth.

That she was in love with JR.