Total Opposites

Opposites

"Ren! What's taking you so long?!" Soomin cried as she walked around the living room.

"Just a moment! I can't find my cap!" Ren yelled back.

"You've been taking ages! Just... let's go!"

"Jakkaman!"

"Now! REN!!!"

"Okay, okay, aish..." Ren sighed as he hurried downstairs. "You really are excited, aren't you?"

"Who else won't be?" Soomin smiled. "Imo! Ahjussi! We're going now!"

"Nae! Be careful on your way!" Ren's foster mother cried. "Minki-ah! Take care of your sister, arraseo?"

"I will, umma!" Ren cried as he and Soomin  ran out of the house hand by hand.

The reason why the twins were acting like that was because last night, the two agreed to visit their parents back at Daegu. Since Ren can't remember much about them, he quickly agreed, and is obviously quite excited to see his parents again. Soomin, being away for a year from them, is really excited too, bringing her brother along. How the twins imagined their parents' faces once they see them. For Ren, it's been ten years that he hasn't seen his real parents! He forgot them...

"You'll definitely love Daegu!" Soomin smiled. "We have lots of memories back there! And umma and appa will be really happy to see you!"

"Jinjja? That's just making me more excited." Ren smiled.

The two finally arrived at the train station and their train finally arrived. The twins, since the train didn't have much people in it, sat in the comfiest spot. Upon sitting, the twins heard mumbles and whispers around them.

"That blonde girl's really pretty!"

"Talk about that guy! He's so hot!"

"I guess they're a couple, they arrived together and their hands are linked!"

"Uwah, they're a cute couple!"

"Is that girl blonde? Aigoo, she must be an idol!"

"I don't think so... I never saw her!"

"That guy must be a famous ulzzang at their place! Look how handsome he is!"

"Too bad they're taken..."

The twins pretended not to hear anything. Well, Ren being mistaken as a girl and Soomin being mistaken as a boy, it is quite normal for them, they didn't really care. They deal with these words everyday! And plus, they aren't a couple, they are twins for goodness' sake! And their hands were linked, well, simply because it made them feel better, who knows if they suddenly get lost?

It took hours of travelling before they arrived at Daegu. The twins even slept in the middle of their travel, and still their hands were linked. Since they woke up quite early too, they lack sleep.

Later on, they finally arrive at Daegu. Soomin and Ren quickly dashed out of the train, then out of the station and decided to take a taxi to go to their place. Ren had his eyes sparkling, the sight of his hometown made him feel lots of emotions. Happy, excited, anxious, nervous, and more!

"Kajja." Soomin said as she dragged Ren around. The twins easily got a taxi and rode to their place.

"So, what's our place like?" Ren asked.

"It's simple, but happy." Soomin smiled. "You'll definitely like it, well, since you actually do."

"How about umma and appa?"

"They're the best parents you can think of! They're kind, caring, and rarely gets angry!"

"Jinjja? Woah, we are lucky, aren't we?"

"We really are!" Soomin giggled. After another hour of travelling, the twins arrived at their place. A small bungalow house was right before their eyes. Like what his sister said, simple. But for some reason, Ren felt happiness rushing in him. 

Soomin felt shiver. She looked at him and saw nervousness in his eyes. "Yah, don't be nervous, they are our parents anyway." Soomin said with a reassuring smile.

"I know... but it's been years. How if my manners don't fit with our lifestyle? How if I act differently?"

"They expect that." 

"And, how if I act differently since I don't remember anything? That'll hurt them for sure."

"Don't worry, they are our parents and they'll definitely understand. Just act like yourself, arraseo?"

"A-arraseo."

"Good, kajja." 

The twins slowly walked to the house and stood in front of the door. Soomin knocked and waited for someone to open them. "How if they're not home?" Ren asked.

"Psh, they are." Soomin smiled.

Soon, the twins heard footsteps getting louder along with a shout of "Coming!". Soon, the door was opened, revealing a middle aged woman. Her hair was styled in a messy bun and she was obviously rushing things, she was covered in sweat. Upon seeing Soomin, her eyes grew wide as she placed her hand over . "Ommo..." she mumbled.

"Hi, umma." Soomin sweetly smiled.

"Soomin!" Mrs. Choi cried as she pulled her daughter for a tight hug. She had missed her daughter for a year! Their communications were only through internet and phone, and now that she was in front of them, tears threatened to roll down her eyes. "Aigoo, we missed our baby girl! Come in, come in."

The twins obeyed and entered. Mrs. Choi quickly saw Ren but failed to recognize him, probably because of how much he had changed physically. "Yeobo! Soomin's here!" Mrs. Choi cried, making his husband, Mr. Choi dash towards them.

"Jinjja?!" he cried as he saw their child. "She really is! Aigoo, we missed you!" he cried as he hugged Soomin.

"And I missed you too, appa." she giggled.

"Ommo, you changed a lot! Look at you, you look 100% masculine now! Your hair, the way you dress, our Soomin really changed." Mrs. Choi smiled. "How's school? Are you doing well in that all boys academy?"

"Nae, umma, I am."

"Are there anyone bullying you?"

"Ani, umma, no one is bullying me." Soomin smiled. She never told them about Nu'est and the tortures she and her friends experienced under them but now they are all good, there's no reason to state it out. There, her parents finally brought the topic up, on who the blonde was. 

"Soomin-ah, who's your pretty friend?" Mrs. Choi asked as she pointed at Ren.

"Aigoo, you still manage to befriend a girl? How cute." Mr. Choi smiled.

"A-aniyo, he's not a girl." Soomin said, emphasizing the word "he". 

"He?" her parents asked.

"Nae. He's a... school mate of mine. His name is Choi Minki, a.k.a. Ren." 

"Choi Minki?" Mr. Choi blinked. "Why, she- I mean he has the same name with your brother! No wonder you got close to him."

"It's nice meeting you, Ren-ah." Mrs. Choi smiled.

"Yeah... about that, umma, appa." Soomin smiled as she held Ren's hand. Her eyes showed happiness and excitement. "Umma, appa, he's the Choi Minki you know. The Minki who stood the role of being my twin brother. He is my twin brother."

Her parents were lost with words. Soomin and Ren saw their parents in shock, their mother even bringing her hands on .  "Mwo? T-that can't be..." Mrs. Choi stuttered. 

"It's true, umma." Soomin smiled as she told Ren to show his locket that matches her. "See? He has the locket. He even has this picture of me. He remembers nothing in his past because of amnesia, and his parents adopted him from us ten years ago. He's him, believe me!"

"Are you sure? He... doesn't look like your brother, Soomin." Mr. Choi commented.

"True, that's because he greatly changed after ten years, appa. Even I didn't recognize him the first time we met, and my suspicions were only proved by the locket he has. Believe me, it's him."

Soomin revealed the birthmark she and Ren has on the left shoulder and upon seeing it, their parents were convinced. Ren is their child. Finally, Mrs. Choi couldn't hold in her tears and quickly hugged Ren, weeping. "It really is you, how great did you change! Umma's so sorry if she wasn't able to recognize you."

Ren was dumbfounded. He didn't know what to do. His arms seemed to have moved on their own and hugged his "mother" back, tears pooling down his eyes for some reason. Ren began to feel joy as he cried. In front of him were his real parents. His mother and father that he was separated from ten years! 

After getting comfortable around them, their parents began asking questions to Ren. "Minki-ah, what's with you hair?" Mr. Choi curiously asked. "And, you look like a girl! Why'd you grow your hair that long?"

"Let him be, appa." Soomin smiled. "It's his style."

"It's funny how our daughter looks like a boy and our son as a girl." Mrs. Choi giggled. "You two are really twins."

Soomin and Ren just let out a soft chuckle upon hearing their parents' remarks. "Oh, and what's with your Ren nickname?" their father asked.

"N-Nu'est gave it to me. They gave me the nickname Ren, meaning lotus in Japanese." Ren shyly answered.

"Oh, don't be shy, dear, we're your parents." Mrs. Choi smiled. "But I guess being away from us ten years, I should expect this, shouldn't I? Aigoo... you've changed a lot."

"Nu'est? What's that? A gang group or something?" Mr. Choi asked.

"A group I belong in our academy. Nu'est means New Establish Style Tempo and consists of five members." Ren explained. "Our leader is someone named Kim Jonghyun, also known as JR. The eldest member is Kwak Youngmin, and is known by the name Aron. Next member is Hwan Minhyun, a.k.a. Minhyun. Then, Kang Dongho who goes by the name Baekho. I'm the maknae of the group."

"Oh, for a second there, I though you were a troublesome gang or something." Mr. Choi laughed. "So, mind telling us how your life has been, son?"

"Y-ye, appa..." Ren nodded.

Ren told his parents how his life went, on how he spent his life ten years ago. He told them how his foster parents took care of him as their own child, on how his lifestyle was. In fact, his parents were pretty amazed on how great his changes were! The way he talks, his actions, everything was very different from the Choi Minki they once knew.

=========================================================================================

Time passed and the twins decided to take a little stroll around Daegu, but in their outfit, it's a no-no. "Minki-ah! Soomin-ah! There are clothes in your room, go get changed before you two go off." Mrs. Choi reminded.

"Nae, umma." the twins replied in unison. The twins quickly ran to their room and saw that the room was maintained clean and tidy.

Upon taking a step in, Ren felt a somewhat different aura around it. There were loads of picture frames in the room. "Is this... our room?" Ren asked as he turned to Soomin.

"Nae." Soomin smiled as she fell on the bed. "Aigoo, I missed this!"

"We sleep here together?"

"Nae, when we were little." Soomin nodded. "This is where we share our secrets, do crafts, sing, dance, talk, we do everything here! There are loads of memories in this room."

"Wow." Ren smiled as he looked at the picture frames. "Is this us?"

"Nae. We look very alike, don't we?" 

"Nae. Add the fact that we are wearing matching clothes!"

Soomin giggled as she tried searching for some clothes she has. For some reason, all her clothes fit Ren, and all of Ren's clothes fit her. Well, that only means that they have the same size of clothes! Soomin pulled out two colored shirts since they only had to change their shirts. "Here, wear this. I've got none of those fashionable clothes you're used to, sorry." Soomin apologized.

"Ani, it's okay." Ren smiled but upon seeing the colored shirt, his eyes blinked a few times. "Uh, Soomin, do you have anything dark?"

"Mwo?"

"Do you have shirts tainted with the color black perhaps? I really dislike colored shirts."

"Jinjja? But, we used to like colored shirts."

"I don't know... I like black."

"Arraseo." Soomin nodded and pulled out a printed black shirt and playfully threw it on Ren's face. "There, is that good enough?"

"Nae." Ren giggled. "And you purposedly threw it, didn't you?"

Soomin simply hummed and searched for some other shirts, ignoring her twins words. Ren smiled as he scanned the shirt. 

=========================================================================================

Soon, the twins were dressed and are now walking around Daegu, Soomin showing Ren the places she and him often went to. The playground, their favorite food courts, their elementary school, everything. Memories were slowly flowing back to Ren as his sister told him stories about their childhood. On how they used to play tag with Taemin, Key and Sulli, on how they would run and try catch each other under the rain, on how Ren would stand up for her when she was made fun of. Soomin reminded her brother how a prince he was towards her.

But lots had changed too. They were now opposites compared to that of last time. From the colors they like, it changed. Soomin likes colorful things, Ren likes dark ones. Soomin hated the slide, Ren liked it. Soomin loves cotton candy, Ren dislikes it. Soomin loves horror houses, Ren dislike them and will die in fear. Everything Soomin likes are hated by Ren and whatever Ren likes now, Soomin hates it. They were total opposites. 

Though all their favorites are now changed, something remained. It wasn't a similarity, but their strong bond. Despite being total opposites, the twins seemed to have found a way to still understand each other. Despite their differences, they stayed together. They were twins, but that wasn't enough reason. 

Their hearts were linked eversince...

And as memories flowed back to Ren, he can feel that his sister, Soomin, was having fun and was feeling happy recalling all their happy memories.

Or was she?

The twins arrived at a wide street, cars racing here and there. They waited for the street light to turn green for them to cross. Finally, the street light turned green and Ren was about to cross until he felt Soomin frozen at her place. "Waeyo?" he asked, blinking innocently. His hand was holding hers and it felt cold. "Is something wrong?"

"This is... the place you met the accident." Soomin softly said.

"Mwo?"

"This is the place you were hit by that car, this is the place that caused us to be separated." 

Though he didn't clearly see Soomin's face, he felt that tears were flowing down her eyes, making him stand in front of her, his eyes full of worry. "Soomin, that was back then. You shouldn't be remembering those memories anymore."

"I know... but it's just-"

Her speech was cut of when tears finally pooled down her eyes. She was crying. Ren can't actually stand seeing his sister crying like that, thus, he pulled her for a hug, ignoring the fact that there were many people around them. "It's okay, let's head now, okay?" Ren whispered as he smiled. Soomin simply nodded as she felt Ren's hand touch hers. The twins crossed the road and were heading home, until they bumped into someone.

And that someone was someone they didn't expected.

"Ren? Soomin?" the owner of the voice said.

The twins eyes grew wide upon seeing the person they bumped into...

"JR?!" the twins cried in shock.