Meet the Hwangs

The Only Story I Didn't Know

 

Lena POV

 

“Ottokhae...”

 

“It's going to be okay.” He laughed, turning off the engine and getting out of the car. We were in a small neighbourhood, just outside of Seoul. So this is where Chan grew up, huh? It looked really inviting, even if it was covered with snow. My heart was pounding in my chest, I was so nervous. I would of never imagined I'd be meeting his family so soon. However, Chansung was really excited for us to meet.

 

“Get out of the car, Lena. I don't see why you're all nerves now, when you wanted me to spend time with my family on Christmas.” He opened my door, waiting for me to get out.

 

“Does your mother and father speak any English?” I asked, getting up and taking the presents with me. We had stopped by the store to get wine and ginseng to present to his parents.

 

“Yeah, a little bit. But wouldn't this be a great time to test out your Korean?” He was just bursting with optimism. Did he not know that I was practically ting my pants?

 

We walked up a few steps to the house until I tugged at his arm.

 

“What if they don't like me?” I whined.

 

“I like you, so they'll definitely like you.” He said kissing my forehead and taking my hand.

 

Breathe Lena, just breathe. He knocked on the door and after a few seconds the door opened to a short woman. She looked just in her early 40s. She had tightly curled hair and she was wearing a stylish dress suit.

 

“Ahh, Chansung-ah!And this must be Lena, Hello! Come in!” she exclaimed, welcoming us in.

 

I smiled and bowed, my heart beating 160 bpm. “Annyeonghaseyo, Mrs. Hwang.”

 

Wow, she is so beautiful in person.” she said to Chansung as we took our coats and shoes off.

 

“Your eyes... are so beautiful, Lena.” she said to me, smiling.

 

“Kamsamnida, these are for you.” I said, holding up the bags.

 

“Thank you!” She took them from me and walked off.

 

Yeobo~ The kids are here.

 

“See, not so bad.” Chansung said from behind me. I felt his hands on my shoulders; he gently massaged them trying to calm me. I looked around; The house was really neat and immaculate. It was very modern as well. There was a picture of Chansung on the table near the door. It must have been when he graduated from high school for he was in uniform and had flowers in his hand. He looked so cute and young, he had longer hair then.

 

Chansung?!” A man, taller than his Mom, with similar features to Chan's, stood up to greet us as we entered the living room. I looked around to see pictures of them all around the place.

 

Appa, have you been well?” Chansung said, hugging his father.

 

Yes, now let's see her.

 

This is my girlfriend, Lena.” Chansung moved out of the way so his father could see me. I bowed and shook his hand.

 

Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Hwang.

 

He nodded, then said “Our son.. has brought a girl home before once .

 

Ne? Is that so...”

 

“But I can see you are special, you have very kind eyes. Kind eyes...”

 

... means kind spirit” Mrs. Hwang finished off for him. “Lena, let me show you around while Chansung catches up with his Dad.”

 

“Okay.” I followed her into the kitchen where she had the gifts laid out on the table. On the stove were a few pots. I could smell food and it smelled great!

 

“Thank you for the wine and ginseng.” she said smiling.

 

“If Chansung had told me beforehand, I would of got something else for you, Mrs. Hwang.”

 

“Call me 'Omma' and don't worry about it. Come, let me show you upstairs.”

 

She showed me around the house and Mrs. Hwang, I mean Omma spoke in English the whole time amazingly. Sometimes she would stumble upon a few words but I still understood. She was very proud of her son. She had all his group's albums in a bookcase and his Kwondo trophies all round. Chansung had an older brother but he was married with two boys and is spending Christmas with his family. The two boys were 2 and 6 years old. She was showing me around Chansung's room when turned around and asked me “So.. how did you guys meet and how long?”

 

“At the bbq dinner they had for me when I first arrived which was about..., 2 months ago.”

 

“So not long then.. but you guys seem so close already.”

 

I smiled nervously.

 

“Chansung isn't one to delay things though. He's always been one to be straightforward. Once he knows what he wants, he goes for it.” She continued. “So tell me more about you, Where are you from? Did you leave your parents at home? Do you have siblings?” She pulled me over to the bed and sat me down.

 

“I was born in the United States, my dad is from Jamaica and my mother is from Spain. And yes they are both in New York. I am a only child.”

 

“Oh, It's a shame, I would of really liked to meet them.” she said sighing. “Oh, wait one second. I think I have something you would like to see!” She got up and left. I decided to look around his room while she was gone. The was a poster of Lee Hyori on the wall and other female idols. I saw a few more Kwondo and other trophies. I looked on a little bulletin board to see a bunch of pictures. There were some with his brother and some what looked his high school friends – they were all in uniform – then I laid my eyes on a smaller picture, of Chansung and a girl. They were pretty close, it looked as if they were in a relationship. They smiled cutely, and I couldn't help but notice how pretty the girl was. I stared enviously as I pondered how they must of held hands and went on dates. I wonder if we could ever...

 

“Here, a few childhood photos of Chansung.” She handed me a small photo book and I flicked through it. Chansung was an adorable kid. I felt Omma's eyes on me as I smiled at each picture, which caused me to blush.

 

“Do you want one?” she said.

 

“No, I couldn't possibly take one.”

 

“Go ahead, I have plenty anyway” she urged, so I chose one. He looked about 5 years old. He had chubby cheeks a cute face and was sitting on a step with a cheesy smile on his face.

 

“Let's go down to eat, the food should be ready now.” We got up and began to walk out of the room, but before I actually got out the door, I suddenly felt hands on both sides of my waist. They moved down to my hips before releasing me.

 

“Om... Omma?!” I stuttered, shocked.

 

“Child bearing hips! You will bear me a grandson.” she exclaimed with a wide grin on her face.

 

I felt my face grow hot instantly. Whoa, did she just..? I laughed it off though and continued down the stairs.

 

We ate dinner and after, Chansung and his father drank soju together while I helped Mrs. Hwang clean up. It was getting late, but I was full and happy. Mrs. Hwang's cooking was legit. Could I just live here?

 

“Everything tasted perfect Omma, thank you.”

 

“What did you like most?” she asked as I helped pack away left overs.

 

“The japchae.”

 

“I'll write that down with a few recipes. Chansung's going to visit you a lot, you should cook his favorite dishes.”

 

“Aww, thank you” I bowed. She was so nice, I could see where Chan got his warmth and generosity from.

 

On our way out, Chansung's Mom hugged me and pressed a small notepad into my hand.

 

“I'm not that great in writing in English, so get Chansung to help translate this for you.”

 

“Thanks Omma, good night~”

 

***

 

3 Weeks later...

 

Chansung lazily sauntered up to the office upstairs to get his updated schedule. His mood had been indifferent lately. It had been weeks since he's seen Lena, she had been in the States for various photo shoots. That was expected though, she was an international model. He sighed, dreading the thought of all the events he had coming up. Upon opening the door, he was greeted by the familiar chatter of the ladies in the office.

 

Well, aren't you full of fortune?” The managing noona infront of the printer said.

 

I'm so jealous, Chansung have fun~” piped the PR Noona, a cup of coffee in her hand, leaning on the desk.

 

What?” He asked, confused.

 

You're going on a little trip...” smiled the managing Noona as she gave him the sheet of paper.

 

Perfection Photoshoot in Bali” was slotted first on the timetable.

 

BALI?!?!?!"

____________

Are you guys tired of my excuses? Please pardon this rushed chapter and make way for a better one, coming up soon~