Chapter 9

Another Face of Mine

 

Minhee had told her dad she will stay for afterschool.

“Why?” Mr. Kim had asked.

Minhee replied that she did not have any friends so that’s why she’s staying afterschool for math club.

Now, Minhee was gripping on to her book bag while she was heading to Mr. Hwang’s classroom.

When she had arrived at his class, Minhee only saw a bunch of girls (only three boys) in the room.

Minhee looked around and sat in the back of the class.

Normally, she would sit up front so Minhee could concentrate more on the teacher and get less distracted by her surroundings.

Minhee felt strange sitting in the back.  She mostly sat in all her classes in the front.  Minhee put her book bag aside and stared out the window.

“Excuse me?” A girl said.

Minhee looked at the girl in front of her.  It was Sulli.

“Yes?” Minhee replied.

“You’re in my seat”

“I am?” Sulli nodded.

“Now get out” Sulli harshly said.

“What?”

“You heard me”

Minhee grabbed her book bag and sat in the middle row.

Minhee looked at Sulli, who was texting on her phone, and tuned back around.

Mr. Hwang had said a big ‘Hello!’ when he entered the classroom and the class said hello back in unison.

From there, math club has started.  The teacher explained what they will do in the club; either homework or hangout.  Mr. Hwang only cared if people came because that showed to him that people actually bothered to show up.  When Mr. Hwang was done explaining, the students began to either talk or actually start on their homework.  As for Minhee, she just sat there all alone looking at other people.

In the group next to her, Minhee heard her name being said.

“Minhee, that’s her name” One said.

“She’s really, really pretty” Another said.

“No! More like gorgeous!”

Minhee stopped listening from there.

After a few long minutes of sitting there all alone in the room, the bell rang.

“Thank you for coming” Mr. Hwang told the students and the kids quickly walked out of the classroom.

When Minhee was about to head out, Mr. Hwang said her name.

“Minhee?”

“Yes?”

“Good job tutoring Taemin” Mr. Hwang said and held up Taemin’s quiz; 100%.