Chapter 2

Another Face of Mine

 

Minhee looked at the mirror in her bedroom.

“Beautiful as always” Minhee whispered to herself as she brushed her long silky hair.

Unrecognizable was her nickname.  Only her family called her that.  When Minhee’s mom was still around, she called her ‘plastic beauty’ just to poke fun at her daughter.  Her mom died six months later right after Minhee got surgery.  She died from swine flu.  The last words Minhee’s mom told her was “Natural beauty might always be plastic beauty”.  Minhee never understood what she meant but at that time she nodded.

 Now, Minhee lived with dad, only her dad.  Luckily for her, her dad was not bossy, instead he understands.  Since Minhee was now a teenager, he knew that she had more privileges now than before.

“You know, I’m sorry we moved” Mr. Kim said.

“It’s okay; I did not have any friends in that old school anyways” Minhee assured him and got her books from the kitchen counter.

“Are you going to the library?”

“Yep, why?”

“I need you to pick up some eggs” Her dad gave her the money for the food.

Minhee said ‘Goodbye’ to her father and went to the backyard.  She got on her bike and immediately rode away.

Minhee stopped in front of a deli and parked her bike near the window.  She directly went to the fridge section and got the eggs.  When she was paying for the eggs, Minhee noticed that the cashier was staring at her.

“Is there something on my face?” She politely asked.

“No.  It’s just that you are really pretty” The cashier said.

“Oh, thank you” Minhee said with a small head bow.

The cashier nodded and gave Minhee the receipt.  She stepped outside the store and went back to her bike.  She placed the eggs on the small basket.

While she carefully rode her bike, Minhee thought how small this town was.  It was calm and simple.  It was one of those perfect suburb towns.

When Minhee got to the library, she locked her bike onto those poles and grabbed her books.  Minhee put her books on top of the return desk and began to walk through the aisles of books.  She walked in the aisle as her head was sideways, looking at the book titles.

‘Oh’ Minhee thought and stopped.

When she stopped, a person bumped into her and they both fell onto the ground.

“Oww” Minhee said when she was on the floor.

“Oh my!” The guy said and got up on his feet.  He held out a hand for Minhee.  Minhee grabbed his hand and got up.

“I am so sorry” The guy said and bowed. Then he quickly walked away.

‘He did not even tell me his name’ Minhee thought and sighed.

She slightly shook her head and continued to look for a book in the romance section.