Chapter 13

Another Face of Mine

 

Three days after, Taemin returned to school.

The news of him being injured shocked most of the school, but not Minhee.  Minhee did not care.  Now that she was not Taemin’s best friend, Minhee had no reason to worry about his health.  These last three days, Sulli stayed with Taemin at the hospital.

Now the couple was back.

In Mr. Hwang’s class, Taemin came into the classroom with the guidance counselor.  Everyone looked at Taemin with crutches.

“Mr. Hwang” The guidance counselor said, “May I speak to you in private”

The professor nodded and left the classroom.

Taemin just stood there facing the ground. He had a slight frown instead of his usual smile he had on his face every day.

Then the both adults came back in the room.

“Minhee” Mr. Hwang said, “Come here”.

Minhee’s heart started to beat faster as she walked in front of the class.

“Yes teacher?” Minhee asked.

Mr. Hwang smiled as she told her that she is Taemin’s helper from now on.  She has to help him carrying his books around and help him arrive to class on time.

Minhee looked at Mr. Hwang surprised.  She totally did not want to spend time with Taemin.  That would be a nightmare for her.  Just imagine being with a person that does not remember you but you do.  Also, you have to help them out every day? That’s a nightmare for Minhee. 

Mr. Hwang continued, “Also, instead of eating in the cafeteria, you both have to eat in the meeting room in the guidance office and every day until Taemin is okay, you have to do these things”. Mr. Hwang handed Minhee a paper.

It read:  -Leave 5 minutes earlier in class

              -Use the elevator.

“Okay” Minhee finally said as she proceeded to memorize all these things she had to do now.

Mr. Hwang gave her a piece of paper which stated that she is Taemin’s helper and has permission to do those two things.

Right about when Taemin was going to sit at his normal desk, the teacher stopped him and announced that he now had to sit in the seat next to Minhee’s.

“Yes teacher” Taemin followed his order.

Minhee helped carry his books and placed them in the seat next to hers.

She sat back in her seat and looked at the window, watching Sulli pay a guy with money outside the school.

 

 

After Mr. Hwang’s class period, next was lunch.  Both students went directly to guidance office.

When Minhee was done explaining to the secretary why Taemin and her were here, they finally went to the meeting room.

The meeting room was not necessarily for the teachers.  It was for parents and students.  The room’s use was for troubled students to talk with their parents about their troubles.  As if students were going to express their true feelings to their parents.

Minhee asked Taemin if he was going to get lunch but he said no, Minhee was not hungry for lunch either.

They decided to sit across from each other.

Minhee took a book from her book bag and began to read.

“Why do you like to read?” the boy questioned.

Minhee looked up from her book, “I do not like it when people interrupt my reading”.

Taemin apologized with a slight bow, “Sorry”.

“It’s alright” Minhee said, “Back to your question, how do you now that I like reading?”

“Well, first I crashed into you in the library in the summer.  Then I saw you reading a book when I was playing soccer the other day and today you have a book in your hands”.

“Oh well I just do”

Minhee continued to read her novel and Taemin sighed.  He reached into his pocket and took out a piece of gum.

‘Doesn’t she know that I want to start a conversation?’ Taemin wondered and chewed his gum.

 

 

By the end of the day, Taemin and Minhee were out of school first than anyone else.

“Are you going to get picked up?” Minhee asked him.

“No”

“Then where are you going?”

“I don’t know” Taemin looked at her, “Can I go to your house?”

“M-my house?”  She stuttered.

Taemin nodded.         

Minhee thought about it before she could give him an answer.

Minhee thought it won’t be too bad if he went inside her home but what bad thing could happen while he is there? Nothing was all Minhee could think of.

Minhee finally told him that he could and began to cross the street.  Minhee’s house was a short walk from the school, which was why she walked in the morning instead of asking her dad for rides to school.

Minhee offered to carry his book bag but he denied it, saying that it was not heavy.

“Alright” Minhee shrugged and put her earphones in.

“Say, what kinds of songs do you listen to?” Taemin asked.

“Korean Indie only”

“Only?”

“Yes”

“What about some of SHINee’s songs?”

“I have some of you songs.  I only have two which are Amigo and Replay”.

“That’s it?”

“Yeah”

Taemin asked her if she liked their music and Minhee answered with “I do! It is just that I like calm music.  For example, Yiruma, I love piano music.

“Me too! I can play piano”

“I can too but not anymore”

“Why? How come?”

“Gosh Taemin! You are so noisy!”

“No I am not!”

Minhee rolled her eyes and continued to focus on hearing her beautiful music she loved.

When they finally reached the girls’ house, they went into the living room.

Taemin began to ask all these questions about what happened when he was not in school.

“Well, the only thing going around in school was you and Sulli”

“Sulli?”

Minhee nodded and told him how everyone was saying how a hero she was when he got hurt on the field.

“But was not the buzz when I was in school about you?”

“Yeah, but I hate the attention” Minhee told him.

Taemin smiled at her and she quickly looked at the floor.

‘He has a nice smile’ Minhee thought. ‘That same old smile of his’.

“Can you tutor me more since you are my helper?” Taemin suggested.

“Sure”

Minhee took out both hers and Taemin’s text book.  The she handed him his text book.

“Ready?” Taemin nodded in response.

“Question one…”