Chapter 35

Another Face of Mine

The music was very loud when Minhee was in the school’s gym.  That was where the dance was being held at.  Luckily, the gym was really big so the dance can be held in.

The DJ was playing techno songs and kids were already dancing.

Minhee saw that the gym had several tables for the students to eat at and the gym was decorated real nice.  The only lights that were on were the kind of lights the DJ’s used in clubs.

Minhee stood around and saw other people dance around.  

'There's nothing much to do here ' Minhee thought in her mind. Minhee couldn't do much since she had no date and her only friend was dancing with her date.

Minhee went to the snack table many times and got cups of Coca Cola as Lina continued to have fun with Kai.

She smiled when she would see Lina and Kai dancing with each other.  They both were happy spending time with each other.  Minhee actually imagined Lina being she and Kai being Taemin and getting lost into each other’s eyes.

'Where is Taemin anyway?' She wondered.

After a half hour passed by, Kai decided to rest and he sat down. Minhee was on her 10th refill on soda when Lina told Minhee “Come on, let’s dance!”

Lina dragged Minhee on the dance floor and told her to start dancing.

"But I can't Lina, I don't know how to dance" She said.

Lina was surprised, "You're joking, right?"

Minhee shook her head, "I'm not. I don't usually go to dances and parties. I just stay at home"

"Really?" Lina asked, "Well today, you are going to let go and dance!"

Minhee wasn't to fond at the idea. She couldn't dance as she had told Lina. Heck, she couldn't even move her hips!

Lina showed her some tips and Minhee tried to follow along.

A short while later, they were both dancing.

They danced to the next two songs and finally stopped.

“I thought you stole my girl friend” Kai teased and Minhee laughed.

Kai took Lina’s hand and went back to the dance floor.

As for Minhee, she sat in Kai’s seat and drank some of her Coke.  She looked around for Taemin but she could not see him.  Minhee knew he had to be here.  It is very unlike for Taemin to miss out on something fun like this.

When she was watching Lina dance, someone suddenly blocked Minhee’s view.

Minhee looked up to see Taemin’s smile.

'He's here!' Minhee exclaimed inside her head.

She smiled but did not say anything. So did Taemin. 

Before both of them began to say anything to each other, the music stopped and a projector screen was on the wall. 

The people in the crowd stopped and murmurs filled the room of confusion.

Minhee moved her head to see that Sulli was on the stage with a microphone in her hand.

"What is she doing up there?" Taemin whispered.

“Guys!” Sulli exclaimed and grabbed everyone’s attention.

“So are you guys having fun?” Sulli said and everyone cheered in response.

“Good.  Do you guys know Minhee?” Sulli asked.  The audience said ‘no’ but only Kai and Lina screamed ‘Yes!’

“Well, now you know!” Sulli yelled and on the projector screen was Minhee’s old picture beside her new one. 

Minhee’s eyes widened and so did Taemin’s.

“I give you natural beauty, Kim Minhee” Sulli announced and the students laughed.

Minhee was in shock and got up.  Minhee looked round and quickly ran out the gym.

'No! How did Sulli find my picture? Why did she do this?'

Minhee continued to run while her mind was filled with unexplained answers. 

'It wasn't supposed to be like this' Minhee whispered.

“WAIT!” Taemin yelled and ran after her.

Minhee stopped running when she was in front of the school and she cried.

“Minhee!” Taemin shouted.

‘Oh no’ She thought and covered her face. 'Not him!'

Taemin found Minhee looking across from the street, wiping away her tears.  Taemin walked over to Minhee.

“Minhee” Taemin whispered.

“No, you do not want to see me” Minhee hissed.

“Yes I do”

“No, you hate me”

“I don’t”

Minhee shook her head, “Yeah you do.  You’re probably mad at me for lying to you about who I really am”

“Well, not that much”

“See”

“I had a feeling it was you though” Taemin said, “But why did you get plastic surgery?”

There is was.  That question that she wanted to avoid from everyone.  She could never answer this question honestly.  But now, she had to answer that question to Taemin.  It was time.

Minhee wiped her face and looked at Taemin.

“There’s only one reason.  It was not to look pretty or beautiful. It wasn't to be accepted in this stupid Korean society. It wasn't to get a boyfriend.  It was more than that.  It was because of you Taemin. 

Taemin was shocked, "Me?"

"Yes you!" Minhee said.

"But why! I don't understand! I never did anything bad to you!" Taemin protested.

"Oh you know damn well that you hurt me!"

"How then? Tell me how!" Taemin was confused. 'Me? I hurt her? How?'

"Your forgot about me Taemin! You freaking forgot about your best friend! Well was your best friend anyways! How could you Taemin! You never said goodbye when you left me all those years!" Minhee yelled.

Taemin held in his breath.

Minhee sighed and closed her eyes. She couldn't stand looking at him now.

"I wanted to forget you but the only way I could forget you is if you would forget about me” Minhee confessed.

Taemin looked at her shocked.

"The only way you could forget about me was to change my face so you can't recognize me"

Taemin couldn't believe what he had told her.

“But” Taemin said.

"But what?" Minhee whispered.

Taemin kissed her and hugged her tightly, “I could never forget about you. Especially the person I always loved. I was a coward to say goodbye to the person I love the most”

Minhee smiled as tears of happiness were coming out of her eyes.

Taemin cupped her face.  He wiped away those tears he did not want to see from her.

He smiled and kissed her once more under the beautiful shiny stars at night.