Chapter 7

Another Face of Mine

 

*Monday*

Before the bell had rung, Mr. Hwang told Minhee to come up to his desk.

“Yes teacher?” She said.

“Minhee, I forgot to tell you who you will tutor” Mr. Hwang continued, “It’s Taemin who you are tutoring”.

“I- him?”

“Yes”

“Oh okay” Minhee said and sat back down.

Minhee looked at the back, where Taemin was sitting at, and saw him play around with his pencil.  Taemin’s pencil flew across the room and Taemin stared at the pencil.  Then he got another pencil from his pocket and began to play with it.

Minhee sighed, ‘Idiot’.

---Lunch---

When Minhee was walking to the garden, she saw Taemin already there sitting on the white bench.

Minhee stopped to look if that was Taemin and it was him.  So Minhee turned around and began to walk away.

"Minhee!" Taemin shouted.

Minhee turned back around and Taemin waved.  Minhee waved back and she kept on walking.

"Minhee!" Taemin yelled once more and she turned around.

Taemin signaled his finger where there was an empty space next to him.  Minhee shook her head and waved goodbye.

Minhee really did not want to be with him. It would just be awkward for her since she already knew who Taemin was.  So far, Minhee noticed that he has no idea who she is.  To Taemin, Minhee is the new girl but to Minhee, Taemin is her best friend. Well, was

Minhee headed to school's library to have some quiet.  Being in the cafeteria was just too annoying for her because it was too noisy and loud.  Minhee liked the quietness. 

When Minhee was sitting alone in a table, a group of girls smirked and laughed.  One of these girls in the group was none other than Sulli.

Of course, everyone in the school knew Sulli.  Ms. Popular, Ms. Perfect, Ms. Whatever.  Sulli seemed nice but after she snickered at Minhee, which proved that Minhee was wrong about Sulli.

Minhee sighed and slumped in her chair.

"Oh thank goodness I found you Minhee" Mr. Hwang said.

Minhee sat up in surprise and greeted her math teacher back.

"I forgot to tell you where you are going to tutor him! You are going to tutor him at your house"

"My house?" Minhee asked.

'Oh no' She thought inside her head.

"Yes. Is it alright? Because you know how Taemin is"

"It's okay and no, I do not know how Taemin is.  How is he?"

Mr.  Hwang explained to her how Taemin does not want some random fan girl to be in his home and even though Minhee is not a huge fan girl, she still has to tutor him at her house, just for Taemin to feel safe.

"But does he know where I live?"

"No, until I gave him the address" Mr. Hwang told her, "I hope you can help him.  I think you can.  I can tell by your grades"

"I will try to teacher" Minhee responded back.

'Let’s hope I do' she thought.

 

--- Afterschool---

Minhee always changed into her regular clothes when she got back from school but not today.  She did not change because she wanted to show Taemin how serious school was to her.

When the doorbell rang, Minhee got up and opened the door.

"Hi" Taemin said while looking at a small piece of paper, "Mr. Hwang told me this is my tutors' address"

"It is correct then" Minhee told the boy.

Taemin looked up from the paper and stepped back.

"Minhee?" Taemin was surely surprised, "You are my tutor?"

Minhee nodded and Taemin squint his eyes.

He looked at the house number and back at the paper.  Taemin looked one more time and finally stopped.

"I guess you are" Taemin said.

"Come in" Minhee told him and Taemin went inside the house.

Taemin followed Minhee into the living room and they both sat on the couch.

When Minhee was taking out her math notebook and textbook, Taemin just sat there.  For Minhee, Taemin looked confused and kind of shocked. 

"Aren't you supposed to be taking out your math stuff?" Minhee asked Taemin.

"Huh? Oh, yes!"  Taemin quickly took out his notebook from his book bag.

"Taemin?"

"Yeah?”

"You seem a bit... confused.  Why?"

"Well, you see..."

"What?"

"It's just that Mr. Hwang picks out the smartest kid in his class to tutor the kid with the lowest scores"

"He does?' Minhee was surprised by hearing this.

"Yeah and ever since I was part of his class, Sulli always tutored me even though she did not have the same class period as me"

"She did?"

Taemin nodded, "So now someone has beaten Sulli"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that someone is finally smarter than Sulli"

"And?"

"And Sulli is the smartest student in school with the highest marks but..." Taemin looked at Minhee, "Now it's you"