Door

Repeated Instances

When Yoo Mi finally musters up the courage to make her way to her childhood home, she is not at all surprised to see it unchanged. The small place housed her family's store on the bottom level, and the living area on the upper level. The outside still looked the way it had, the announcements and decorations changing only slightly. A staircase on the side led to the entrance to the home, even though a set of stairs towards the back of the store usually served as the go-between for the once family.

In 3 years, Yoo Mi's home didn't look one ounce different. It only served to remind her of everything she had left behind and what she had grown up with. With two loving parents as a child who doted on her, to later turn into two parents who didn't know what to do around each other.

Yoo Mi sighed, shaking her head rid of her memories as she made her way up the side stairs, glancing into the store quickly to see a young man at the register, helping out customers. It didn't escape her that once she'd leave, her father would seek someone out to fill in her spot in keeping up with the store.

Something had changed in her absence.

When she reached the door, she looked at it for a moment, wondering what to do. She'd come to talk to her father, but, as always happened when dealing with stressful situations, Yoo Mi felt like what she'd wanted to say wasn't going to be enough.

'I'm sorry I left.'

'I couldn't take it here.'

'You didn't do anything to help mom when you knew she was getting sicker.'

'I hate this place and you.'

'I miss you, dad.'

'I found someone and want to spend my life with him but I can't because you and mom ed me over so bad, that I refused to get close to anyone afterwards but he likes me regardless of knowing all this and still wants me, but I have to get some damn closure from you.'

'I need some answers.'

Yeah, those all sounded like good things to say, she thought to herself.

"Here goes nothing," she whispered, lifting her hand and knocking on the door. She waited for several minutes before she heard quiet footsteps and a lock being turned.

When the door opened, Yoo Mi looked up into the face of her father who looked down at her in shock for a few moments. 

Clearing , she smiled lightly at him, "Hi."

Her father's eyes narrowed and he pulled back, slamming the door in her face.

Yoo Mi's smile dropped, turning away from the door.

"That went better then I thought..."