Reminsce

Repeated Instances

Yoo Mi hums to herself as she looks out the window of her apartment. She quietly hums a tune from her alltime favourite film, and listens to the sound of cars honking, the sounds of street vendors and people shouting. 

It reminds her a little bit of her hometown, the hustle and bustle of the city. Dangjin was always teeming with people, and it was something she had always loved. Being able to lose herself in a crowd of people who may or may not have known who she was or what she had done in her life. But that would always end as soon as she would near her home and her family's store.

Yoo Mi frowned at that thought, looking towards her computer screen. She hated thinking about her family. The years before her mother's death hadn't been enjoyable with a depressed mother, and a father unsure of what to do. 

"Yoo Mi..."

The young girl looked up from what she was doing, getting up and walked towards her parent's room, "Yeah, mom?"

Her mother looked away from the window of her bedroom, her eyes vacant and sad as she turned them onto her only child, "Come here," she said, patting the spot beside her.

Yoo Mi went and sat down, a little worried by her mother's recent behavior since coming back from her high school reunion. The older woman had already looked a bit sad before the reunion, but since coming back a few weeks before, her mother had spiraled down into an all consuming depression; somedays barely making it out of bed.

"Whats wrong, mom?" she asked quietly.

Yoo Mi's mother took her daughter's hand, looking at her daughter silently for a while, sighing, "You have so much potential. Don't you want to go out and see whats out in the world?"

Yoo Mi looked at her mother, a bit surprised, shrugging, "I don't know... I like it here, mom."

"But you shouldn't waste your potential on something so small like this town and this store," her mother said, her eyes narrowing a bit, "I know I did..."

She wasn't sure what to say to that, but pulled away a bit, "Mom... I like it here though..."

Yoo Mi bit her lip. Sure, it sounded appealing to get out of Dangjin one day, but she wasn't sure she was as free spirited as her mother had been when she was younger. Yoo Mi was top of her class at only twelve years old, and she genuinly liked helping her father run the family store.

"Yoo Mi!" her mother cried out, gripping her daughter's hand tightly, "Promise me you'll get out of here."

Yoo Mi jumped, a little afraid of her mother's behavior, "M-mom... I-I don't know if I can..."

She watched as tears sprang into the older woman's eyes, turning away from her daughter in disappointment as she dropped her hand, "Get out of here."

"But mo-"

"I said GET OUT!"

Yoo Mi jumped off the bed and ran towards the door, shutting it behind her as she scurried back to the living room. Once there, she put her shoes on and high tailed her down to the store. Better to be around her loving father then her depressed mother.

Yoo Mi jumped upon hearing a car honk. She shook her head and looked around her at her sparce, apartment with its little furniture, yet tons of plants. She sighed, turning back to her computer.

She had done what her mother had wanted, yet somedays, Yoo Mi felt lonely with so little even though she felt she had gained so much.