Look Back

Repeated Instances

If someone had ever told Yoo Mi that she would find herself sitting on a bed in a cheap motel in downtown Dangjin, she would have laughed. Regardless of how she felt of the place, she would have laughed. A motel? In Dangjin? There was no such thing.

But, as she quickly found out, there was. 

It was your typical room, fitted out with a cheap, bed with cheaply made sheets, a cheaply made comforter, and an array of cheap curtains of polyester. The centered bed took up half the room, as though Yoo Mi needed any other reason for hating the tiny enough room as it was. A small tv stood in front, looking as though it were older then her parents. And Yoo Mi was certain she didn't even want to feel the floor of the room, as it already felt hard under her feet, and incredibly uncomfortable.

She sighed, running her hands across the comforter of the bed, shifting so she was more comfortable on it. How did she ever find herself in this position? 

And the worst part was that she couldn't even pretend that this was okay. She couldn't act like things were fine, because they weren't. She was back where she'd come from, and she wasn't even sure for what. Yoo Mi hadn't seen her father in 3 years, blissfully washing her hands free of him and Dangjin. 

She was miles from home, and yet, she knew that even if she did go back home, back to Seoul, she wouldn't really be happy. Yoo Mi had realized that on the train ride here. In the past, she could think of other things, think about something else that didn't revolve around a depressed mother, a father who hadn't known what to do with her and Yoo Mi, and a city that had at once felt too big but once her mother had died, had felt too small. 

In all actuality, Yoo Mi had escaped. She'd run from the thought of having to see her father every day, single-handedly blaming him for the death of her mother to the point that it was as though he himself had tied the noose around her mother's neck and hung her from their bedroom fan, making sure Yoo Mi would be the one to come home that day from school and find her mother dead.

She couldn't forgive him any more then she could forgive him for wanting her to stay in Dangjin. She knew this, known this, and had fled, choosing a life of wandering until she found herself in Seoul, where she found herself settling down more then she ever had in the past 3 years. 

Where she found Chanyeol.

Where she discovered that she could love someone, and could become attached, even though it was scary and it'd driven her back to Dangjin. Back to the one place she'd been so desperate to escape, only to come back because she knew Chanyeol had been right. Had agreed with him, albeit secretly, when he'd said he liked routine. Because Yoo Mi had a routine. A routine of leaving, of not looking back. 

And as afraid of looking back she was, Yoo Mi had looked back. Looked back to realize that she had somehow, within a short time, fallen for the gangly giant. Fallen for his collased fingers, deep voice, clumsy nature, stupid jokes and the way he let her rearrange his apartment one day. She'd fallen for Seoul, her mother's city, finding in it the beauty that she felt her mother must have missed.

But in order to go back, to go forward, she had to come to terms with looking back and fixing what she'd been too scared to look back to, afraid she'd find nothing. 

Yoo Mi needed to see her father.