Stage 02: Incident of Suspicions and Meeting

DP: KT Angel

“Oh? Welcome back, Taeyeon.” Her grandfather greeted. She handed the artifact to him. The both of them headed down to the basement where they were earlier in the morning. The room was lit with normal lights, unlike this morning when they had used live fire.

Taeyeon watched as her mother set the art piece and her grandfather stepped forward. She saw him stretch his hand over it and she noticed that there was a black feather on his hand.

“Taeyeon. I need a little bit help here.” Her grandfather motioned for her to come closer. Taeyeon stepped closer.

“Hold this. And put your hand over it.” Taeyeon held the black feather in her hand and raised it above the Tiara. She didn’t know what was supposed to happen when the feather glowed.

“You can let go.” As soon as she did, the feather flew up and dissipated. There were multiple feathers that appeared along with red, small lights. As they fell on the Tiara, it was as if they were cleaning, no, purifying it. The feathers vanished soon after the ritual.

“There. It’s done. Thank you for the hard work, Tae.” Her mom said to her with a smile.

“Yes. Thank you for the hard wo- Wait! No. That’s not the point. Why didn’t I change when I got the Tiara? Didn’t you say I was supposed to chance back?” Her mom and her grandfather exchanged looks.

“We don’t actually know why you changed. Based on our past experiences though, Taeng usually appears as a reaction to love. But it doesn’t seem like you are harboring any feelings for anyone right now. Unless, you have someone special right now.” As he finished, Taeyeon remembered her drawing of the girl. She didn’t say anything thought. It was impossible. Maybe there was a mistake.

“There’s probably a mistake. There’s no one right now. But why me?”

“Remember those stories about the legendary Phantom Thief Taeng. Taeng’s blood, as I have described as a genetic condition, is in our very bloodline. The family of the Kim had inherited this. But we aren’t really sure why he appeared in your blood. Usually, Taeng’s blood only is inherited by male descendants. We are his descendants.”

“So basically, we’re cursed. I’m cursed worse than our descendants.” Taeyeon spoke out her conclusion.

“Well, when you put it that way, it sounds awful. I would think of it as being passed a gift.” Her grandfather said.

“But why steal?”                                                                 

“It’s because the artwork we- correction! You steal, are cursed. And it’s our job to purify them. What you just did to the Maiden’s Tiara was no different. You basically just purified it. Its power is sealed for a while.”

“For a while?! You mean, it will be unsealed again?”

“Don’t worry. Besides, stealing things is the least of our worries right now. The question is: what is it that is making you change?”

Taeyeon sighed. She was tired. Today was a long day. What a birthday this really was. First of all, she changes to a guy. Second, she steals cursed art pieces. And lastly, her classmate was out to get her. She didn’t want to think about this right now.

“Good night. I’ll be sleeping now.” She made her way up the stairs so she could go to her room. Her mom and grandfather only looked at her with sad looks. They didn’t know why Taeyeon would inherit the blood. They did train her though because she is after all a Kim. There was only one other person that they know who will know the answers to this. But asking that person wasn’t really an option. They can’t possibly ask... a Jung.

 

Taeyeon lay down on her bed. It was late at night. Near midnight and she had school tomorrow. It was good that they really didn’t have any homework that troubled her. She looked at the fallen sketchbook on the floor. She forgot to put it back when she suddenly changed. She bent down to take it in her hands, closing it before seeing it. She took her pencils and the eraser, placing them back in the drawer.

She sat on her bed quietly. Dan walked in and hopped on the bed. Taeyeon smiled and patted his head as he stared at her as if saying that he understands her.

“You probably got it better than I do.” She said to Dan as she lay down on her bed. It sat next to her form as she found herself falling asleep. As soon as she slept, Dan slept, too.

 

The next morning, at Shi Dae High School

It was a good morning. Well, for most of the students. Class hasn’t started but some of them had made their way in their classrooms. It was a pretty normal day for them.

Jessica was in the room, sitting, working on some papers, typing on a laptop. The students noticed this but they don’t question the Jung. They knew that it wasn’t really a good idea to disturb her while she’s working. So they decided that they just leave her be in her work. After all, her father was very famous and it would be bad to get on her bad side. Nevertheless, she was very famous in the school for her background, beauty, and intelligence.

 In the past, they did try to talk to the Jung, but they failed. Unless they had to ask about emergency school work, she doesn’t even look at you. She may respond but she was still working. Sometimes, they got glared at. It was frightening. And those instances usually happen when…

“Jessica Jung!” It was Tiffany Hwang that bothered the girl.

The typing stopped. The room suddenly felt colder than usual. The students flinched at the loud voice. Jessica looked up from her work. There was Tiffany Hwang at the classroom entrance. Tension obviously hung in the air.

“I challenge you! Let’s see who will get a higher score in our Math test today.” The students were all looking at them. It was a very entertaining to watch even if it happened every day. Then they saw Jessica glare at all of them. They all turned away. That’s how it usually works. Yuri, though, one of the students that aren’t usually affected kept looking. She was surprised to see a smile, or was it a smirk, grace the Jung’s face before it vanished as she turned back at her work.

“Do what you want.” Tiffany nodded, accepting the answer as a confirmation and acceptance of the challenge. Sunny entered after that. She saw everyone looking almost everywhere but the two.

“Ya! Tiffany. I told you that it’s not really healthy if you keep on challenging Jessica. She doesn’t do anything to you.” To which Tiffany would answer.

“She accepted it. She can’t back on it now.” Taeyeon walked in afterwards, sighing. Then the bell rang. Good thing she wasn’t late. Tiffany and Jessica both spared a look at Taeyeon.

 Their teacher walked in. The students were behaved, seated properly. One or two would fool around and they would get yelled at the teacher.

Math class was more exciting. Well, for Tiffany that is. She was excited to beat the Jung at something. Tiffany had a reason on why she was trying to beat the Jung but no one knew about it. Was she thrilled when the test started and she solved the problems with ease. It was a good thing that she reviewed them yesterday. She was confident that she’ll get a perfect score. All she has to worry about is if it was possible for the Jung to get a score higher than perfect.

“Time’s up. You’ll get the results tomorrow.” Their teacher said as the papers were passed to the front of the class. But the challenge doesn’t end here. Next period, they had Physical Education.

“Jessica Jung!” There it goes again. Jessica looked at the loud girl again.

“We’re having fitness exams today in gym. I challenge you.” Jessica had to refrain from sighing. This was very much keeping her from doing her research. But even if it is like that, it was at moments with the girl did she feel like she wasn’t a Jung.

“Do what you want.” It was the same answer but Tiffany wouldn’t have it any other way.

As expected, they did have a fitness test in gym today. They had to run around the track course in less than 11 minutes. It was very much average. The track was about one mile. It was smaller compared to the field they usually use for the track team.

When the whistle was blown, Tiffany was filled with energy right away. She was running at a fast pace but she was shocked to see two people in front of her right away. As expected, it was Jessica Jung. But the one beside her was not who Tiffany had expected. It was Taeyeon.

She continued running at her pace, forgetting that she challenge the Jung a few moments ago. She watched as Jessica was smiling amusingly at Taeyeon while Taeyeon was returning it sheepishly. Sometimes, it looked like Taeyeon was just clueless at whatever Jessica was saying. This brought a feeling to Tiffany’s chest. She shrugged it right away.

“So how was your birthday?” Jessica asked.

“It’s the usual. Celebration and stuff?” Taeyeon lied while smiling sheepishly. Sunny ran up to them. She was athletically inclined though she preferred not to compete with the Jung.

“Hey, Taeyeon. Jessica.” Sunny greeted Taeyeon and Jessica. After a nodding, Jessica ran ahead.

“Hi, Sunny.” Taeyeon slowed her pace down so she was matching with Sunny’s, not caring if Jessica was ahead.

Tiffany turned her attention to Taeyeon. Usually, Taeyeon didn’t run alongside Jessica. She thought it was because Taeyeon can’t run that fast. Then she remembered from the previous night. She thought she had seen Taeyeon on the roof near Sunny’s house but she dismissed it as a mind trick or a dream. A tap on the back caught her attention.

“Tiffany! What are you doing? You’re getting left behind.” It was Kwon Yuri. Tiffany looked in front to see that Sunny beside Taeyeon and behind Jessica. Those three were already a yard near the end of the track. She bolted as fast as she can but the three still finished after her.

Sunny and she breathed heavily as soon as they finished. Running fast and far can cause hearts to beat fast. Blood was pumping through their arteries after all. She looked at the two who were standing as if they didn’t run at all. She was very perturbed to see Taeyeon and Jessica not tired at all. It was only now did she notice that this happens every time. They were actually stretching some more. Jessica looked… she shook her head.

The day ended with curiosity than failure for Tiffany. But she didn’t want to jump into conclusions. After all, it could be just because they were fit and they exercise a lot.

She was waiting for Sunny by the gate. They always go home together. She saw Taeyeon running out of the school.

“See you tomorrow, Taeyeon!” She shouted. Taeyeon turned while running and waved. Then she was gone. Sunny came out.

“Hey. Were you waiting that long?”

“No. Come on. Let’s go.” They walked in silence until Tiffany really had to ask.

“Sunny. Did you notice that Taeyeon was really fast today?” Sunny nodded.

“Yes. She usually just runs at the back but she actually ran with Jessica today. And what about you? You were practically behind them. I was ahead of you.”

“Yeah. I was distracted.” They got to Sunny’s home and Tiffany stayed over. No later did they turn the TV on did another case brought attention to Tiffany. It was the Phantom Thief, Taeng, again. Tiffany excused herself and she left Sunny’s house.

“I wonder what that girl’s up to now.”

“Tiffany! Wait.” She caught the girl.

“Oh! You’re coming with me?”

“I’m just curious as to where you’re going. You don’t usually go out like this. You either stay over or you go home. But you left your stuff so you must be headed somewhere else.”

“Then, let’s go. We’re going to catch someone.” Sunny didn’t understand Tiffany’s words but went along with it anyway.

 

SoShi Museum

“Where is he? There is no way that I’m letting him slip this time.” Inspector Lee said as he stood before the art piece. Tonight, it was about the golden statue of the Phoenix Guardian. It was not big nor was it small. It was made out of gold though. But what Inspector Lee didn’t know was that the art piece he stands before at that moment was already an illusion. His eyes caught the entrance of the sergeant.

“Sergeant Jung!” He saluted to the sergeant. She was dressed in her school uniform partnered with her sergeant uniform. Instead of her school blazer, she had a navy blue one that had her position determined by its accessories. Jessica looked around. Her eyes saw the art piece. It was still intact. But seeing it better, she saw that it was a false. She quickly ran outside to go around parts of the museum. She heard a sound in one of the rooms to the far corner of the room.

“Are you there, Taeng?” She asked. She entered the room.

 

Taeyeon was on top of the museum. It was a good thing that she was wearing black. It really helps with the camouflage and the fact that it’s very apropos for the event was very comforting. But she and Taeng just made a deal.

A while ago

Taeyeon was confused as where she was. She was dressed in a black all over suit with light black shoes that helped with her footing. She looked around and she was in a room full of crates. She was in the museum. And there in her bag was the golden Phoenix Guardian. There was a letter. It was addressed to her.

‘Taeyeon, I want to make you a deal. If you get out here without my help, I’ll help you find out who is making you transform into me. If you don’t, well, it’s your loss. You don’t really have a choice. I’ll keep changing into you if you don’t fix it. Hurry up and escape. The police will realize that the statue has been stolen. The seal is in your pocket.  –Taeng.’

“What?!” She looked around.

“I have to go now.” She tried to carry the golden art piece and since it was gold, it was very heavy. She accidentally hit one of the crates.

“Are you there, Taeng?” Taeyeon immediately recognized that voice. She hid behind the crates. A silhouette of a girl was seen walking in the room. The moonlight revealed Jessica.

‘Oh no! Am I going to be caught by my own classmate?’ She panicked. But it was interrupted by a sudden light in her backpack. The bird escaped from the bag and started going at the Jung. Taeyeon saw this as a chance to escape so she went out the window.

Jessica saw someone getting out the window but she didn’t see who it was clearly. She held out her hand towards the flying golden bird and her hands glowed blue. It seems to have affected the bird in some way because it flew away from her.

“Tsk!”

 

Presently, Taeyeon had exited through the window. She moved carefully around the building so she wouldn’t get caught or fall down. The big lights from the police equipment moved around the building. She was able to turn on the corner of the side of the building. But trouble ensued. As she was about to move down, she slipped and fell. She braced for the impact. But Taeng came out.

“It’s fine. I’ll handle it from here.” Taeng was out again. He placed the bag by his back so he can move better. ‘This kid has to lift more weights.’ He thought silently. He walked around where Tae- no, the both of them fell. It was within the trees around the museum. There was a barricade. He easily climbed up, not even noticed by anyone. Even if the lights were on, most of the guards were already inside. He smirked.

He was about to walk off with another job well done when he saw a girl looking at her. Two things flashed in his mind. First of all, he has to convince her not to tell anyone. He can’t be caught. Second, this girl was the one he saw at the veranda. Taeng panicked when he saw her point at him and motion as if she was about to shout. He hurried to her side.

“Ah! What are you doing? Let g-” Taeng placed a hand over .

“Keep quiet! I’m not a bad guy.” He saw her eyes. She managed to struggle at that moment that she removed Taeng’s hand and she was able to speak- er, shout again.

“Ah! Tif-” This time, she was cut off by Taeng.

“Get back!” Taeng shouted at her, his face was contorted. The golden bird from before had escaped and it was now going for Taeng. Taeng held her and moved her from the bird’s range. They jumped to a distance. Taeng let go of her and lunged at the bird in order to derive its direction to a nearby platform. He took a feather from his pocket. He held it out. The bird was still flying around.

“What is he doing?” The girl watched him. There was a red light that flashed and radiated from the feather. It glowed brightly and she watched as the bird seemed like it was getting attracted to it. She saw him held up the bag and it disappeared within.

Their eyes met again. She didn’t understand why his face was in pain. She approached closer and what she saw, she couldn’t believe. It was as if Taeng was someone she knew. She didn’t look at Taeng’s physique but instead, she saw the red eyes turn into very familiar brown ones. As she stepped more, Taeng jumped down from the platform at the opposite direction. When she turned, she didn’t see him anymore. A girl came over to her.

“Sunny!” The girl called her.

“Tiffany! Where did you go?” Sunny asked the girl who just came over.

“I was looking around. Why? Did you see someone?” Sunny didn’t know what to answer. Should she say that she just met the Phantom Thief?

“I saw Taeng. That thief in the news.”

“What! You did? When?”

“A few minutes before you came over here.”

“Aww… I missed it. Well, we can look for him again next time. Let’s go home.”

“No. There’s no next time. I’m not going.” Sunny and Tiffany went home.

 

Kim Residence

“Waa! I’m done. I don’t want to do this anymore!” Taeyeon said as soon as she entered the house. Her mom and grandfather came to her right away. She passed the statue to them and sat on the chair, placing her head on the table. She was so tired.

“Calm down, Tae.”

“It’s hard having my classmate going out to catch me.”

“Your classmate? Jessica Jung?” Taeyeon nodded.

“And what’s more, he spoke to Sunny today. And he even showed her his powers. I thought we were supposed to keep it secret?”

“Not exactly. It’s the fact that you transform to Taeng is the secret. And it’s not permanent.” Her mom said. There was silence before she raised her head.

“What? That’s good then. How do I get off this mess now?” She looked at her mom, then her grandfather.

“Well, not exactly. You can’t get off this “mess” right now. But it will be easier for you if you can find the reason you’re changing to and back to Taeng.” Her grandfather said.

“Taeng said he’ll help me. He practically said I don’t have a choice.”

“Oh, good! He talked to you. Taeng is inside of you. He can talk to you in your head since you guys are practically two different people in one. You just have to open your mind to him. Think of it as another soul but he can’t go and turn as he pleases. That’s why we have to figure out how you transform. If you accidentally transformed out of order, you can get caught.”

’Hey kid! I think I have a theory of how you change into me and me, you. But it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.’ Taeyeon heard Taeng’s voice in her head.

“He said he has a theory on how to change. But he says it has to wait until tomorrow.” Taeyeon’s mother and her grandfather nodded.

“That’s good. But you don’t have any mission to do tomorrow. You two can practice at the basement when you get home. You have a fieldtrip tomorrow, right?” Taeyeon nodded.

“Taeyeon.” Her mom addressed her.

“From now on, you and Taeng will be together. I know it’s too much to ask of you, especially the fact that you just started this job yesterday and you nor I didn’t expect this to happen. And having someone you don’t even know with you all the time is troublesome. But I am proud of you. Don’t worry. It won’t be permanent. That’s the only thing I can tell you for now.”
“Okay. Thank you, mom. I’ll go to bed now.”

Taeyeon was a bit happy to hear those words from her mom. She shouldn’t really complain anymore about this. She can do this. She can take care of this problem until it ends. She settled in her room with Dan on her heels. It jumped on her bed as she sat on the chair before her desk. She took her sketchbook out again. She didn’t open it right away though. She reached at opposite sides of her desk and found the stand and a canvas. She set it up slowly.

‘Hey, kid! What are you doing?’

“What does it look like? I’m going to paint something.”

‘Pack extra clothes tomorrow. Something I can wear.’

“What for?”

‘It’s for the theory testing. Don’t worry. I think I’m on the right track.’ Taeyeon stopped setting it up for a moment. She took a pair of jeans and a polo shirt she doesn’t wear often. From how Taeng was reacting to the clothes she got from her closet, he was really happy and excited.

It stood completely at one side of her room. She took her pencil on the desk. She looked at the drawing once. Everything. Then she started creating the same face on the canvas. After she drew it in pencil, she noticed that the angle was a bit different. Nevertheless, she took her oil paint set. She slowly colored every shape and space in the canvas. It was only the face that has been colored when she stopped. The eyes, which she tried to intricately draw, weren’t filled in yet. She managed to find the right color for the skin tone. She colored the hair perfectly. It was only the eyes. She can’t bring her hands to paint the last part. Every time she raised her hands to apply the soft brown paint, she would hesitate.

‘Are you afraid?’ Taeng’s voice echoed in her mind.

“No. I’m not.”

Don’t try to hide it from me. I am you now. Until the time we separate. I know everything you feel. I can feel it, too.’ Taeyeon sighed before looking at the painting she had created.

“What do you want me to do?” Taeyeon asked. She heard a light chuckle.

‘I want you to paint it.’ Her hands moved on its own, and it stopped just before it touched the canvas. Taeyeon closed her eyes.

‘Open your eyes.’ Taeyeon opened them slowly. She saw the eyes. With a swift brush , she colored the eyes of the person of which she had drawn. Once she finished with both, she looked at them once again. She was a bit sad that it wasn’t the same as the real one but she was a bit happy that she made it as if those eyes were only looking at her. She blushed.

“Aish! Why did you made me do this?” She hurried to her bed, leaving the canvas alone. She didn’t hear Taeng answer her question. She just closed her eyes and soon, sleep claimed her. Dan’s ears were up for a while. He wasn’t hearing anything. There was nothing at the moment. He, too, slept. In a few moments, at the middle of their sleep, Taeng did speak.

“I want you to be the last. To do something I can’t do.”

 

Jung Residence

“I’m home.” She whispered as she entered the house. Jessica Jung was home as well. She walked in a large mansion-like house. She was alone for the time being. Her father wasn't home at the moment.

She took off her sergeant uniform as she felt unnecessary to wear the outfit at home. She went to her spacious room. There was a big bed on one side, her closet on the other, and a huge desk filled with paper works, pictures, and a computer. She needed to work on her papers. She opened her laptop and started typing again. She was researching on the last two cases in the Police Dept, about Taeng.

“Here we go.” She whispered as she entered an old database. It showed all records of the Jung Art Pieces ranging from her back to her predecessors. There were more art pieces that can be targeted by Taeng. She memorized the lists. It took a few of hours. She was tired but she still had work.

“Hm…” She saved her works and closed her computer. She walked to her window. She looked out to see that the sun was about to rise. She had to get ready for school, just one more day. She sighed. She didn’t even get any sleep at all.

“Oh! Jess. You’re awake.” She turned to see her father peeking at her. She turned her back at him and stood from her desk.

“I’m getting ready now. See you later.”

“Oh. That’s right. You have a field trip today.” Mr. Jung said but Jessica was already in her bathroom. He closed her door. He took out his phone.

“Inspector Lee, there’s no note from the Phantom Thief today. On with your duties but do keep caution.” He hanged up not even caring if he had been understood or heard for that matter.

 

A/N: Hey there guys. How’s this one? I know it’s pretty foreign to most of you but I still hope you enjoy it. I’m still on break until the sixth before Monday so I can update. I’m thinking of making a new story again along with this one. But I don’t know yet. Clueless~ ^^ It’s up to you if you guys want.

Anyway, thanks for the subscribers and the comments. I really appreciate them. Thank you for reading this story. I know it’s not as good as RSoF but I still hope you like it.

The replies would probably be by the commenting potion below. Oh and if you have questions, I really want you to ask since I might not do a good job of explaining and describing. That is, if you guys want.

Okay. See you on the next one. ^-^v