Stage 04: Incident of Independence

DP: KT Angel

"Tae. Wake up." Taeyeon heard her mother's voice. She didn't stir though. It was Saturday and she was very tired from the trip they went to yesterday.

"Tae~ I need your help with something." Taeyeon stirred and opened her eyes.

"What is it, Mom?" She asked while yawning, her back still flat on the bed.

"I need you to accompany me to buy groceries. There's going to be a sale today." Taeyeon looked at her mom for a while before nodding.

"Get ready. We'll go in ten minutes." Her mom left the room. Taeyeon sat up on her bed and rubbed the sleep from her system away. Dan was on top of her as he slept.

"Dan. Wake up. You're heavy." She saw Dan stir and opened his eyes. It stretched for a bit before climbing down of her bed, sitting on the floor. Taeyeon started getting ready while Dan followed her everywhere. As soon as Taeyeon was ready, she met her mom downstairs. She handed her a bag.

"Here. Please carry this for me. Wait for a bit." Her mom said as she looked around the house. Taeyeon stood there with the bag in her hand. Dan made his way beside her and caught her attention.

"Kyu~" Taeyeon looked at him. He started jumping up and down, left to right.

"Eh? You want to come?" Dan nodded while hopping about, clearly excited.

"Well, okay. But don't wander. You already caused enough trouble yesterday." Taeyeon opened the bag for the small, white, fluffy rabbit as he jumped in the bag.

 

Taeyeon and her mom were walking around the marketplace, looking for different kinds of food. Taeyeon was just standing behind her mom when she saw strawberries.

"Oh! Omma, can we buy strawberries? It's been a while since I had some." Her mom nodded.

"We'll take some strawberries. And some carrots, lettuce, onion, tomato, cabbage, and..." Taeyeon no longer heard the rest as the list went by. hung open as her mom finished.

"So many! It's so heavy." Her arms held the bags.

"We still have to buy mor- Oh? You brought Dan with you?" Her mom asked.

"Huh?" Taeyeon looked to the side and she saw Dan out of the bag jumping up and about just like he did this morning. Taeyeon nodded.

"He wanted to come so..."

"Just don't let him be seen by people often. Dan's been with Taeng for generations." Her mom said as they walked.

"Okay. Dan. Hop on." Taeyeon motioned for Dan to get up on her shoulders. Dan settled himself on her shoulders while the rest of his body rested on Taeyeon's jacket hood. Soon, they decided to go home after buying so many groceries.

"Haa... I think my arms are going to fall off..." Taeyeon placed the groceries on the table.

"Thank you for your hard work. Oh, look at Dan." Dan was running around their feet. They smiled at his happiness. Dan climbed up to Taeyeon shoulder again.

"Okay. Did you two figure out why you change?"

"I don't know. Taeng didn't tell me anything. Speaking of which, he hasn't spoken today." Taeyeon wondered.

"I'm still here, Taeyeon. There's just nothing to do." He suddenly spoke.

"Oh. Never mind. He just spoke." Taeyeon walked back to her room with Dan still on her shoulders. Dan nudged at her.

"What is it?" Dan pointed to her window as it jumped to it. Dan pointed to outside.

"You want to go out? Well, okay. Let's go out. Here, stay inside." Taeyeon placed the bag in front of Dan and he jumped in. Taeyeon placed in her sketch book and her pencil case inside, careful not to hurt Dan.

"We're going out for a walk." She shouted.

"Okay. Be careful."

 

Taeyeon walked along the town's roads, turning to find a peaceful place. Her eyes found the town's seaside. It wasn't exactly the way to the ocean but it had a great view of the sea's vastness and its horizon. There was also a fountain nearby so it was very calming. Taeyeon sat near the fountain. She looked around and saw no one.

"You can come out, Dan." Dan's head popped up from the bag. He jumped up and stretched as soon as he was out the bag. Taeyeon smiled and started sketching the view. The day was still bright and the sun was very high up at the sky but the sea breeze prevented the feeling of blaring heat. The place also had the view of the cliff side from which you can see the lighthouse at the other side of town.

While Taeyeon was leisurely spending her time out drawing, Dan looked around.

"Kyu, kyu~" Taeng was the one that answered.

"Well, okay. But don't go off running in that form. You'll attract more attention."

"Kyu~" That was the last thing Dan said before he transformed into a young man. His white fur was evident on his black hair as highlights. He was adorned in a simple black shirt and light sandish brown pants. He smiled as he nudged Taeyeon. But when Taeyeon looked at him, he frowned.

"Who are you?" Taeyeon asked cautiously. She looked around to look for Dan. When she didn't find him, she assumed the worse.

"What did you do to Dan? Where is he?" Dan backed up a bit before pointing to himself. Then, he vocalized.

"Kyu~" Taeyeon looked at him. Then she raised her sketchbook. Dan cowered down.

"Taeyeon! Don't hit him. It's Dan."

"What?" Taeyeon blinked twice as she looked at the cowering boy.

"He wanted to walk around on his own so I told him to change his form. He'll cause less attention if he's human than a rabbit."

"Why didn't say anything to me?" Taeyeon argued.

"You were busy so I gave him my permission." Dan finally stood up and smiled at Taeyeon. Taeyeon looked at him. She sighed.

"Go ahead. You can speak right?" Dan nodded.

"Hello." He said. His voice had a different tone to it but it wasn't bad. Taeyeon ruffled his hair and he smiled again.

"You smile too much. Well, where do you want to go?" He started waving his hand around.

"The whole town?" Dan nodded. Taeyeon thought about it for a while.

"We can't go around the whole town for today. But I promise we'll plan it." He jumped up and down like a kid to express his happiness. Taeyeon placed the sketchbook and her drawing utensils back in the bag. They left the place and started going around town.

 

Sunny was riding her bicycle around town. Tiffany didn't really want to go out riding that morning so she wasn't there. Nevertheless, Sunny enjoyed the time outside. Her accident yesterday turned out to be just fine. Since she was very healthy, she was able to heal faster and she was glad she wasn't restricted from her normal activities. She looked at the road ahead and saw Taeyeon.

"Tae-" She stopped herself when she saw that she was with a guy. The guy had black hair and white highlights. He was a bit taller than Taeyeon and she assumed that he was older as well. She quickly rode her bike to the side.

'Who is that guy?'

 She watched as the two strolled along the pavement. She knew that Taeyeon was an only child so it was unlikely for the guy to be her brother.

'Why am I hiding?' She thought to herself.

 

"Okay. And over there is the marketplace. That's where we bought the strawberries. Don't go without me, okay? You might get in trouble." Dan nodded at Taeyeon's words. Then, he spotted a familiar figure. He pulled Taeyeon's sleeves.

"Hm? What is it?" Dan pointed at a distant. Taeyeon looked at the direction and found Sunny.

"Oh? Sunny?" Dan nodded at her. Before Taeyeon could say anything, Dan ran towards the girl. She could only watch as Dan gets closer to Sunny. Then she realized something.

'Oh no! Dan already met her. I'm in big trouble.' Taeyeon panicked internally as she ran after Dan.

"Genius..." She heard Taeng mutter.

"Shut up." Taeyeon whispered to him. She saw that Dan was already in front of Sunny.

'No!'  She internally exclaimed.

 

"Hello, Sun-" Dan couldn't finish his greeting when a hand covered his mouth. He turned to see Taeyeon breathing heavily. He took Taeyeon's hand and slowly removed it from his mouth.

"Taeyeon, what are you doing here? Are you okay?" Sunny asked. She easily masked her knowledge that she had been watching them before the guy suddenly came towards her. She was more worried about Taeyeon's actions. She ran really fast.

"Hi, Sunny." She greeted her as her breathing stabilized.

"Care to introduce me?" Sunny could see Taeyeon was sweating. She wasn't sure if it was because she was nervous or she was just tired. At this, she felt a pang in her chest but she ignored it.

"Don't you remember me? I'm Da-" Dan got cut off again as Taeyeon waved her hands in front of her in panic.

"This is my cousin. Um, Kang Daniel. He's visiting me." Dan looked at her incredulously but didn't see the problem. Unknown to Taeyeon, Daniel was indeed Dan's given name but he doesn't know where the Kang came from though.

"Lee Sunny. Have me met before?"

"No! In fact, you guys haven't met before. He visited me today but he doesn't live around here. I was showing him around." Taeyeon quickly covered. Taeyeon didn't see it but Sunny knew she was lying. She had a feeling and this hurt her deeply. Nevertheless, she just put on a smile. She faked a laugh.

"So what parts of town have you looked at?"

"Hmm... I've just shown him the marketplace. We started at the town's fountain on the other side near the sea. We've been around the school and my neighborhood." They started walking as a trio. Taeyeon and Sunny were talking leisurely and they seem to enjoy every moment of it. Except for the fact that Taeng would occasionally make a side comment.

"I'd be a better company than you are right now." Taeyeon could hear him snicker. On the other hand, Dan was enjoying the walk too. He was walking ahead of the two, enjoying the different things his eyes see and hear.

"Lee Soon-kyu unnie!" There was a loud call. It made the two turn around and one of them shudder. There was only one person in Sunny's family that would do so. Sunny turned to see a familiar kid. Taeyeon was surprised to see Sunny hugged by this person. But Sunny wasn't struggling so she assumed Sunny knew this person.

"Eun-kyu~ don’t call unnie by that name~" Sunny said in her aegyo voice. Taeyeon noticed that Dan and the person cringed at the voice.

'Wait... Unnie?!'

"Pabo. That's her sister." Taeyeon heard Taeng's voice.

"Aww... Aren't you happy to see me, Soon-kyu unnie~" Again, the person called Sunny, Soon-kyu.

"What are you doing here?" Sunny asked her younger sister.

"Mom let me visit for the weekend." The young girl said smiling.

Taeyeon saw the kid look at them.

"Omo? Sunny unnie, who's this?" The girl asked with curiosity.

"This is my classmate, Kim Taeyeon. And he is her... cousin, Kang Daniel." Taeyeon and the girl shook hands. Dan copied the gesture but since he was tall, he crouched down. The girl was still young and small, only about half of Sunny's height.

"I'm Daniel. You can call me Oppa." Taeyeon silently let out a sigh of relief, thinking that Dan got the picture.

"I'm Lee Eun-kyu. You can call me, Eun-kyu. Nice to meet you, Oppa." The young girl greeted, smiling brightly.

"Where are you all headed?" The young girl asked.

"We were just showing Daniel Oppa here around town." Sunny answered her younger sister's question.

"How old are you, Eun-kyu?" Taeyeon wondered.

"I'm ten years old, unnie."

"Waa~ so young." Taeyeon and Dan both commented.

"Ya! We're only 16, Tae. And you're?" Sunny hit Taeyeon's arm lightly while she asked Dan.

"Me? I'm five hund-"

"Ah~ he's just kidding. He's eighteen years old." Taeyeon covered again.

"Nevertheless, we're still young." They laughed. They walked a bit more where they stopped at an ice cream shop.

"Ice cream~" The three youngsters shouted excitedly. Dan looked at them in confusion. They entered the shop.

"You two go sit there for a bit. We'll buy the ice cream. Eun-kyu, go with Daniel Oppa, okay?"

"Hey, kid. This counts as your first date." Taeng voiced out.

"It's not!" Taeyeon said a little bit too loud; she was trying to control her feelings.

"What isn't?" Sunny asked.

"Oh! Nothing. Don't mind me." Taeyeon laughed nervously as Taeng's laugh echoed her mind. Sunny just laughed at Taeyeon's behavior.

 

Dan was sitting with Eun-kyu at a table. Eun-kyu was across from him and was looking at him intently.

"Oppa." Eun-kyu called him.

"Yes?"

"Where are you from?" She asked curiously.

"I'm from the demon world. I'm a demon, you see." Dan said innocently. Eun-kyu was ten. She knows demons don't exist. But there was a still child part of her that believed in magical beings.

"You're lying. There is no way that you are a demon."

"And why is that?" Dan wondered at her answer.

"Your face is too nice for a demon." Dan smiled at the young girl's answer.

"This isn't my real form. I was asked by my master to use this form so I won't attract too much attention."

"What’s your real form?"

"I have a small rabbit one and my demon form." Dan saw the girl's eyes sparkle with interest. She got down her seat and move to the seat next to Dan.

"May I see it?"

"I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show anyone. My master said it's a secret." Eun-kyu's shoulders fell a bit but she still asked some questions.

"Is Taeyeon unnie your master?"

"Well, not exactly but you can think of it that way. How about you?"

"Umm... I live with my mom overseas at the moment. I asked her if I can visit unnie so I'm here."

"Hm. I just live with Taeyeon's family. I consider them my own." He finished but he noticed that Eun-kyu kept looking at him. He looked around and saw Taeyeon and Sunny choosing the flavors. He leaned in near the girl's s ear.

"I can't promise you right now. But you will see my true form one day." Eun-kyu smiled at him and held out her pinky.

"Promise?" He looked at it before mimicking the gesture.

"Promise." He said.

Taeyeon and Sunny paid for their ice cream. Taeyeon and Sunny had chocolate while Eun-kyu had vanilla and Dan had strawberry. Taeyeon broke into gleeful laughter as she saw the dreamy look on Dan's face at his first bite at the ice cream. Eun-kyu was also a bit amused, young as she is; she hasn't met someone like Dan.

Taeyeon noticed Sunny and Eun-kyu's amused looks.

"Sorry about him. You see, I think this is his first time eating ice cream." The looks she got from the two were even more shocked than the first one.

"First time?!" They both exclaimed. Taeyeon nodded nervously while Dan ate happily.

 

Soon, they finished their desserts and left the shop. It had been a long and fun day for Dan. He managed to spend time outside the house and he even met a new friend. Even though they had a fun time, he was still a little bit disappointed when they had to go home. After all, it was already afternoon and they all have to go home. He felt that even if he had only met Eun-kyu today, she was already someone special to him. Although not as important as the Kim family, she was definitely close to him already.

Sunny looked at her sister with mild curiosity. Instead of holding onto her, Eun-kyu was walking with Daniel. Of course, this meant that she has Taeyeon beside her, which was better in her opinion. But it was unusual for his sister to be close to a stranger.

The four of them stopped at an intersection. Their residences were at the opposite parts of town but Sunny and Eun-kyu's house were nearest to the intersection.

"Well, we better go home now." Sunny said as she motioned for her sister to take her hand so they could go home. She watched as Eun-kyu look at Dan first before letting go of his hand and holding onto Sunny.

"Have a safe trip okay?" Taeyeon said to them. The two Lees turned first. They watched as they walk farther. Then, Eun-kyu turned and ran to Dan. She hugged him. Sunny was surprised but waited for her sister.

"Could we meet again tomorrow?" Dan was a bit taken back. He looked at Taeyeon. She smiled at him. Dan then returned his attention to the young Lee.

"Of course. It's a promise." Then Eun-kyu ran to Sunny.

"See you tomorrow." Once the two Lees were out of sight, it was only did Taeyeon and Dan started heading back to their own home.

"You sure had fun, Dan?" Taeyeon pointed out the smile on his face. He nodded.

"Eun-kyu was a very nice girl." Dan answered.

"I'm sure she likes you just as you think she is a nice girl."

"Don't be too attached to that kid."

"Taeng? What's the matter?" Taeyeon asked but Dan hung his head low.

"You're a demon. You can't die. You won't age."

"What are you talking about, Taeng?"

"I can see what he's feeling now. He's grown fond of her."

"So what does that have to with anything?" Taeyeon was starting to argue.

"You don't get it, do you? You're as dense as ever. Dan has fallen for a human."

"I still don't understand..."

"Taeyeon... this will only end in heart break. And Dan, of all, should know that." Taeyeon was getting used to being called by her name instead of kid.

"It's his decision! You can't stop him from this." Taeyeon turned to look at Dan for any word. Dan was still looking down.

"Dan?" When Dan looked up, he's eyes were empty as he walked down the path back home.

"I can. I am his master. Any orders from me, he will obey." Taeyeon didn't say anything to Taeng but she walked near Dan and held his hand. He didn't look but he did held her hand in return.

 

Taeyeon and Dan were in front of their house. Dan had transformed back to his rabbit form. Taeyeon walked in the house.

"We're home."

"Oh! You two are back. How was the walk?" Grandpa Kim asked. He noticed that Dan was just on top of Taeyeon's head, his head down and ears drooped.

"He had a great time. He's just tired." Taeyeon said as she carried Dan in her arms instead of letting him stay on her head. The two went up to Taeyeon's room.

"I wonder what's wrong with Dan." Mrs. Kim asked to which Grandpa Kim just shrugged.

 

Taeyeon let Dan lay on her bed and waited until he slept soundly. She sat on one side of it.

"Taeng? Why can't you let him?"

"Taeyeon."

"Why? Tell me why."

"If they get together, there will be a day that she'll have to go. Dan won't be able to handle that. When she dies, he'll grieve. He'll wish he can turn back time. But no matter what he wants to do, nothing will happen. She won't stay, remaining to be apart from him." Taeyeon was surprised to hear such words coming from Taeng's mouth. Up till now, she had always viewed him as a stranger. An unknown entity that will be gone after her mission is done. She forgot that he probably had been human as well.

"Is that what happened to you?" Taeng didn't reply right away.

"This isn't about me. Let me ask you. If you were his master, would you let him?" Taeyeon thought about it for a second then she gave her answer.

"Of course. Because if it was me, I'd want to spend the time I have left with the person I love. I know we'll get hurt at the end but instead of regretting the fact that I didn't stay, I'd rather remember and save the memories we had. I'll cherish them until I, too, am gone." Taeng was processing this.

"Taeng?"

"I'll tell you only this once, kid. I'm glad to have you as my bearer." With that, he finished speaking for the night. Taeyeon was still a bit dazed but when she recovered, she smiled.

"I guess, you're welcome then?" Taeyeon said as she went to the kitchen to eat dinner.

 

It was the middle of the night. It was raining. Taeyeon was sleeping. Dan was sleeping on her stomach when his ears picked up a sound.

'Daniel Oppa...' It was a tearful whisper but Dan recognized it right away. He stood up and jumped from Taeyeon's bed. Once he was on the floor, he looked back at Taeyeon's sleeping form. It seemed that he had a determined look on his face before he faced the window. He skillfully opened it and the breeze came in. It was a bit overwhelming but he pulled through. He gave one last look at Taeyeon before slipping away.

In a few minutes, Taeyeon's phone rang. She reached for it at her nightstand and answered it, her eyes still closed, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?" She said in a sleepy voice.

"Taeyeon! Please. You've got to help me." Taeyeon's eyes opened widely at the recognition of the voice. Her mind was immediately in caution.

"Sunny?! What's wrong?"

"Eun-kyu ran away!"

"What?!"

 

Dan ran through the strong wind and the hindering rain. He looked back and forth at every direction so he could find the person of the voice.

'Oppa...' There it was again. He kept looking as he turned at different corners of town.

 

"She had an argument with our dad. Dad was telling her that she has to pack tonight so she can go back to the States by tomorrow but since she had promised Daniel Oppa about meeting tomorrow, she argued with him. When Dad told her that the decision was final, she left the house. Dad and I are worried. We're outside right now. We've been looking for a while but we can't find her."

"Don't worry. I'm on it right now." Taeyeon said lastly before running out her house in the rain.

"I know where he is. Change."

"How? I've only been changing by accident."

"Pabo! You've been changing at the right times."

"But that doesn't tell me how!"

"Let me." It was then did Taeyeon have a view of Taeng's mind. Taeng had opened his mind to her. There he saw Sunny's soft brown eyes. A familiar ache in Taeyeon's chest and heat in her body made know to Taeyeon that she's changing. Soon, Taeng was out. He continued running and he made his way towards a stone bridge.

 

'Daniel Oppa...' He turned to the direction of the bridge at one end of town. He ran towards it as he reached the very stone bridge. But there was no sign of anyone. He was about to leave when he heard the tearful crying. He went at the open, grassy area just before the canal under the bridge. He ran to the shade underneath the side of the bridge. There he found the crying girl, down on the wet ground. She was unconscious. Dan glowed brightly. When it died down, there was his human form again, but this time, with red eyes and black wings.

"Daniel Oppa..."

He embraced Eun-kyu tightly and covered the two of them with his wings. He waited for a bit. When he heard footsteps, he opened his eyes and set his wings apart a bit. His distraught, red eyes contrasted with a pair of confident, red eyes.

"Daniel. Second Class Demon." Dan looked at him with tearful eyes.

"Please... Help her... I can't..."

"Do you care for her more you do than for me?"

"Taeng!" Taeyeon's voice echoed.

"Answer me." Taeng's voice was calm.

"Please..." Dan begged as he stood up. His wings were glistening from the rain and he was drenched. Taeng looked at Dan. He reached over his feathers and plucked one. He set it in front of the girl and it glowed.

"She'll be okay. Hide your wings. It's time for us to disappear." Soon, Taeng glowed and was replaced by Taeyeon. She saw Dan in his semi-demon form.

"Dan. Don't worry." Taeyeon saw Dan's eyes soften then he turned back into a rabbit. If he turned into his human form, his wings won't disappear. That'd be a big problem since people can't know. He settled himself on Taeyeon's shoulder as she carried Eun-kyu.

 

"Eun-kyu! Taeyeon!" Taeyeon heard Sunny's voice. She looked at the direction of the voice and found Sunny and her father.

"Eun-kyu!" Taeyeon handed Sunny and her father the sleeping girl.

"She'll be fine. She stayed in the rain for too long but she's okay." Sunny hugged Taeyeon tightly.

"Thank you very much, Tae..." She kissed her cheek and let go. Taeyeon felt a familiar feeling. But to her shock, it stopped.

"I stopped it for now. Be careful." She heard Taeng's voice.

"Thank you very much, Taeyeon."

"No problem, Inspector Lee." He placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled at her.

"Daniel Oppa..." Taeyeon looked at her sadly as she held Taeyeon's hand.

"He's not here right now."

"But I saw him a while ago. He found me."

"He'll see you tomorrow. He promised. Don't worry."

 

They were on their way back home. They were just walking since the rain had lightened up.

"Do you hate working under me?"

Dan shook his head. He heard Taeng chuckle a bit.

'Once this is over, I'm giving you to her. To Taeyeon. I'm sure she'll do a better job at taking care of you than I will.' These words made Dan stop walking. Taeyeon noticed this but was blocked from Taeng's words.

"What's the matter?" Dan could only look at Taeyeon and he could see Taeng's back turned silhouette in her.

"Eh? Why are you crying?!" Taeyeon exclaimed as she panicked as to why Dan suddenly teared up. On the other hand, Dan could only raise his hand to his face and feel wetness. It's the first time he's ever cried. He wiped them right away and shook his head. He smiled at her.

The next morning, Dan was back in his human form to bid young Eun-kyu goodbye. Dan stood in front of her, not saying anything. Taeyeon and Sunny were watching from afar. Inspector Lee was making sure that everything was okay.

“Oppa?” Eun-kyu asked as she looks up at him. Dan embraced her tightly.

“Oppa?” She called again.

“I’ll be waiting for your next visit. And here.” Dan opened his hands in front of her, holding a book.

“Take it with you and write whatever you want to say to me. That way, you won’t miss me. Because I’ll be there around you. Always.” Eun-kyu gave him a tight hug.

“See you again, Oppa.”

 

Jung Residence, that same morning

Jessica was lying on her bed like usual, alone. Under the covers, she wore a large white button up shirt and her pajamas. She curled to her side.

"Master Jessica..." Jessica's hands clenched tightly. One gripped on her sheets, the other was on her chest.

"Shut up..." She muttered under her breath. The pain worsens. She hissed in pain. When the pain spread to her back, she laid down on her stomach.

"Master Jessica..." Jessica opened her eyes, revealing her right that had her usual brown, and her left, was ocean blue.

"Leave me alone..." She screamed silently at nobody.

"Don't try to shut me away..."

"Watch me... I can and I will..."  She let out a heavy breath as the pain start to subside. She turned so she was lying down on her back and facing the ceiling. She was breathing heavily and sweat was visible on her skin.

"Watch me..."

 

A/N: Here's chapter 4, everyone. Sorry if I'm very late on the update. I had a bit of problems today. And I've been really busy. I just finished it today so I hope you guys read it.

I got new subscribers again right? Now, there are 37. That's so nice of you guys. ^^ There is one additional upvote, too. Thank you, sunshiner_here!

The comments are appreciated as well. Thank you for those that comment. I feel really happy while reading them.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue my weekly updates. My future updates might become later than usual because I'll be busy but I'll still try to update.

I'm feeling better so I updated. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. See you guys around. ^-^v