Stage 03: Incident of Confusion

DP: KT Angel

Taeyeon woke up with a start even though she slept late. She groaned as she stretched and reached up to the air while sitting up on her bed. Her body was used to waking up early by this time. She has a field trip today. They were going to go to a ski trip. She walked in her bathroom so she could start getting ready. In less than half an hour, she walked out of the bathroom already dressed in her uniform. She took the duffel bag on the ground with her as she got out of her room.

The duffel bag had the change of clothes Taeng told her to bring, a change of warmer clothes to wear after skiing, and her winter gear. Usually, she doesn’t go to the ski trips her school hosts but this year, she wanted to go and see the snow earlier. When she got down the stairs, she saw her mom already awake, preparing breakfast. Her grandfather was seated in the dining room as he read the morning paper with a cup of coffee in front of him.

“Good morning.” She greeted, gaining the two’s attention. She placed the duffel bag down beside her as she took her place in the dining table. Her mother set down her breakfast which composed of fried rice with eggs.

“Good morning, Tae. How was your sleep?” Her mom asked.

“It was fine. Taeng didn’t talk while I slept so I slept well.” She said as she ate. Dan was hopping around the house, occasionally running, to get to Taeyeon. When it got to her, it plopped itself on her head. It hanged on.

“Dan. What are you doing? Get down.” She tried to pry Dan from her head but he won’t budge. She knew immediately why he was like that.

“Dan. You can’t come. I know you want to see the snow early, too, but I can’t bring pets.” Taeyeon said to the small bunny-like creature. It drooped down from her head down her back. It sat on the floor.

“I’ll bring you something when I get home. How about strawberries?” Dan’s ears perked up at the mention of his favorite fruit. He jumped up and down to show that he was fine with it. Taeyeon smiled at him and finished her breakfast. When she finished, she ran upstairs to brush her teeth. She didn’t know that Dan did sneak in her duffel bag.

“I’ll be going now.” She said as she picked up her bag and headed for the door.

“Have a safe trip and be careful.” Her mom and grandfather both said. They heard the door close and they resumed with their morning and usual duties.

 

Shi Dae High School, Taeyeon’s advisory

The students were all excited for their field trip. It was a nice thing to do after a good few months of studying. They just had their tests and there was only a week of school left before winter break. They can show off their skills or they could try skiing as a new sport. Then, there would be a peaceful rest when the break comes. But not every single student was excited for the trip.

Jessica was so tired and she wants to sleep very badly but she can’t really do those right now. The whole class was waiting in the class room and she has to finish her school work so she can do her Sergeant duties whenever she is needed. She typed and typed and typed for a while. She could hear her classmates talking about Taeng in the background. She didn’t care or paid close attention though. Her classmates had no idea who Taeng was so this was what she just considered as idle chat. She rubbed her eyes to remove the tiredness for a bit. Then, she heard footsteps. She turned her attention to the door.

Taeyeon stood in front of her homeroom. She was about to enter as she leaned in when the door opened. She fell in.

“Oh? Jessica?” She was shocked to see Jessica in front of her. She felt nervous all of a sudden. Yuri looked at the scene with amusement as her classmates whispered something about Jessica welcoming Taeyeon.

“Good morning, Taeyeon.” Jessica gave out a smile. Taeyeon was still nervous. Why the sudden interaction so early in the morning? Nevertheless, she greeted her.

“Uh. Good morning.” Then a scream was heard.

“Ahhh!” Jessica and Taeyeon turned to look at Tiffany running behind Sunny. Their eyes found the cause of the sudden outbursts. It was Yuri, holding a bug.

“Get away! Get away! Get it away!” It was too loud that everyone in the classroom flinched at the loud sound but nobody had it harder than Sunny did. Since Tiffany was practically behind her, it was like beating a pan on her head times an amplifier.

“Yuri! Stop it right now or Tiffany’s going to make me deaf!” Sunny said as she tried to cover her ears and stop Yuri while Tiffany panicked behind her. Taeyeon and Jessica looked at them from one side of the room until Taeyeon approached Yuri and took the bug out of her hands. It was a harmless beetle and Taeyeon noticed it was trying to break free from Yuri’s grasp so she held it with her palms. Tiffany quieted down as she watched Taeyeon go to the nearest window and set the bug free.

“Okay. The bug is gone.” She said as she faced the three with a smile. Tiffany thanked Taeyeon with a hug while Sunny thanked Taeyeon for stopping Tiffany from shouting. She smiled nonetheless. Yuri pouted to see that her prank was cut short but she remembered that she hasn’t given Taeyeon her present. She went to her bag and took out a present.

“Hey, Taeyeon. Here.” She took out a small green plushie.

“Oh! It’s a pea! And look. It’s smiling!” Taeyeon’s smile was really wide as she embraced the plushie. The teacher came in.

“All right, everyone. It’s time to board the vans. We’ll be going after everyone’s in.” The students all shouted in excitement and they took their stuffs with them.

On one van, Taeyeon was with Yuri and Sunny with their other classmates while Jessica and Tiffany were in another. Tiffany had a frown on her face because she had to ride the same vehicle as the Jung but that didn’t stop her from talking and passing time with her other classmates. They were talking about Taeng and how great he is in his heists. Jessica was sleeping beside Tiffany.

“Did you see Taeng the other day? He’s so handsome!” One of the girls squealed.

“I want to date him~”

“He’s so mysterious~” This was what Tiffany heard from her classmates. Tiffany only smiled but she didn’t say anything that expressed her views about him. She got even more silent when the conversation drifts from Taeng to Jessica. It was rude to talk about people while they are sleeping. Heck, it was even rude to talk about people behind their backs. But that didn’t stop them from talking about it. Tiffany was just smiling at their comments when deep inside, she was very irritated. She didn’t know why though.

“Come to think of it, Jessica is also kind of like Taeng.” Tiffany didn’t like where this conversation was headed.

“Other than the fact that she’s also very gorgeous, she’s very intelligent and mysterious as well.”

“I agree, she’s just like Taeng.” Tiffany was about to object. Then, their van just happened to rock since it drove by the hump on the road. Their van bumped a bit and it caused Jessica to fall, -er, lean on Tiffany. The girls felt silent as Tiffany was equally shocked. She looked at Jessica’s sleeping face. They all watch as Jessica opened her eyes a little, still leaning on Tiffany’s shoulder. She turned her head to look at Tiffany. Jessica’s face practically an inch from hers.

‘She’s so close!’ Tiffany panicked inside. Her panic was just starting to show itself when Jessica moved away and leaned on the other side of the van. In no later, Jessica was asleep again and her classmates squealed.

Their vans stopped at the parking lot. They all got their stuff as it was early before noon. They had enough time to ski for hours and eat lunch and dinner in the trip. They walked to the lodge and into the locker rooms after they registered. The students placed their stuff as a group and they changed their clothes into their winter gears. Taeyeon and Yuri were still registering when the Sunny and Tiffany got into the locker rooms to change. Jessica entered afterwards. When she changed, their classmates were practically amazed by her physique. Tiffany only scoffed while Sunny laughed at their reactions. Sunny was in the middle of changing when Taeyeon walked in.

Sunny didn’t notice Taeyeon walk in so she continued changing. They were all girls there so it didn’t really matter. There was no problem. But in Taeyeon’s mind, there was.

Images flashed before Taeyeon’s mind. Really inappropriate ones that she blushed so heavily as she looked at Sunny changing. When their eyes met, Taeyeon’s blood rushed everywhere.

“Taeyeon. Are you okay?” She asked, oblivious to what was going on Taeyeon’s mind. Taeyeon’s mind was panicking.

“Are you sick? You’re red.”

‘Pabo! Run outside now. Go to the bathroom or something! You’re going to change.’ Taeyeon didn’t need to be told twice when she bolted out of the locker rooms, leaving behind a confused Sunny. Tiffany looked at the door equally wondering while Jessica looked at the door with a blank look. She finished changing right away and left the room.

Yuri was walking towards the locker room after registering when a figure passed by her. The person was wearing jeans and a polo shirt. The person’s hair was black. Yuri didn’t see what the person looked like though. They were running too fast.

Taeng went in an empty room. She looked around and it was like a classroom. No one was there.

“Man. Kid! You have to watch out. We almost got caught there… Why did you just stand there?” Taeng said to no one in the room.

‘I’m sorry, okay! I was distracted.’ Taeng’s theory was just confirmed. But he didn’t spoke of it. The good thing about being him right now is that Taeyeon can’t access his mind but he can access Taeyeon’s. He can’t control it but he can see it. He knows how to turn back and forth now.  He smirked as he found out his ticket to changing. Taeyeon is in love with a certain girl but she doesn’t realize it herself. He wanted to go around meeting his master’s crush, but he knew he had to change back. He thought of a certain soft brown eyed girl Taeyeon had drawn the night before. He was engulfed in light and when it died down, Taeyeon was back.

“Huh? I change back.”

 

The students were at the lower slopes for the beginners. Some of them were already experienced just like Sunny and Tiffany so they were evaluated by the staff. Sunny went up first as she showed off novice skills to the others, going down a higher slope with ease. Tiffany went next and showed a little bit above basic skills that let her slide down the slope with less difficulty. She smiled at her job well done. She watched the Jung exit the ski lodge and into the slopes. But instead of skis, she had a snowboard. She watched the Jung approach the group and the instructor asked her.

“Are you snowboarding?”

“Yes.” This short answer somehow added to the chilly wind that blew over the iced slopes. The instructor nodded nervously before he gave Jessica the go. They watched as Jessica slid down the slope easily and gracefully. They were shocked when she skillfully dodged any beginners that suddenly slid through the bottom of the slope. They were all amazed. Jessica slid away after that.

 

Taeyeon was sliding by herself at a nearby slope. She was talking to Taeng at the moment.

“You’re not telling me something.” She heard Taeng sigh. She could imagine giving him an exasperated look.

‘I’m not hiding anything. Just focus on skiing. You might hit a tree.’ He lied and diverted the topic. He wasn’t going to tell her why or how she changes to him until he meets Sunny. He noticed that Taeyeon stopped.

‘What’s wrong?’ He asked, a bit cautious.

“It’s Dan.” Taeyeon answered as he saw a small white creature blending in with the snow. But before she called call him, Dan had vanished. She maneuvered around the area as she looked for Dan.

“Dan!” She said loudly but not shouted. She heard some movement behind her and she saw Tiffany and Sunny.

“What’s wrong, Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked.

“I can’t find Dan.” Was her simple answer as she was trying to look for the bunny.

“Dan?” Tiffany and Sunny said. Taeyeon nodded.

“Yes. He’s my pet. He’s fur is white and he’s like a rabbit. He must’ve snuck in my bag a while ago before I left the house. And I saw him just a while ago. He might get hurt.” They could hear the worry in Taeyeon’s voice.

“We’ll help you!” Tiffany said as she started looking as well.

“No. I shouldn’t trou-”

“Two more pairs of eyes can help you search for him better.” Sunny said as she started looking for him.

“… Thank you.” That’s all Taeyeon said as she continued her search with the two. They moved around the area to look for the missing rabbit. When they were tired, they sat for a bit. It was then did Tiffany spot a white fluffy bouncing little creature.

“Oh! I think I found him!” She bolted to the direction she saw the creature bounce and play.

“Wait, Tiffany!” Sunny shouted at the girl but the girl continued. They tried following the girl but they couldn’t keep up. They were skiing around when they met an accident. They were at the mountains after all.

“Ahh!” Sunny and Taeyeon fell near the mountain ledge.

Tiffany finally caught the small rabbit. It looked at her with curiosity as she picked it up and held it in her arms.

“Dan.” She called him. Its attention was all hers. She sighed but smiled at her accomplishment. She turned expecting a relieved Taeyeon with Sunny but no one was there.

“Eh?” She realizes that Taeyeon and Sunny must not have been able to follow. She went back to where she last saw them but she didn’t find them. She panicked. She immediately went back to their group to inform about Sunny and Taeyeon’s disappearance. She saw Jessica first.

“Jessica! Taeyeon and Sunny are missing?”

“What?”

“They’re missing. We were looking for Dan. Then, when I ran after him to catch him, I turned around and I couldn’t find them. What do I do? It’s all my fault.” Jessica looked at the interesting creature in Tiffany’s arms. She took notice of Tiffany’s worry though.

“It’s not your fault. They’re going to be fine since you told this to me right away. Tell the teachers so they would know. I’ll be back.” She checked her phone and frowned when she noticed that there were no bars. Jessica walked off but she didn’t leave without saying two words.

“Trust me.” Tiffany heard this and it comforted her. As she went to find her teachers, her heart was beating wildly as she thought of the new side she just encountered with Jessica.

 

Sunny sat up after falling. She looked up to see that they have fallen from the trail. She turned and looked around to look for Taeyeon.

“Are you okay?”A voice from under her was heard. She looked under her and found the missing Taeyeon. She moved away right away.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” It was a rhetorical question. Sunny saw Taeyeon look up.

“We fell really high…” Taeyeon stood up as she tried to think of a way to get back to the trail. She looked around to see if she can climb the side. Sunny didn’t move from her place though. She was still sitting down on the snow.

“Sunny?”

“You can go ahead. I’ll catch up with you.”

“Go ahead?” There was a pause. “Are you hurt?”

“What?! No. It’s just I might have sprained my ankle a bit…” She trailed off. Taeyeon didn’t expect that Sunny would tell her to go ahead. She turned her back to Sunny and crouched down.

“Climb on.”  She said.

“What? No. I’m heavy. Just go get help.”

“There’s no way I’m leaving you here so climb on. I can carry you.” Taeyeon answered. Sunny was reluctant for a bit but Taeyeon insisted.

“Okay. But I warned you. I’m heavy.” She said as she settled on Taeyeon’s back. She wrapped her arms around Taeyeon and Taeyeon secured her position with her hands under her thighs.

“Don’t worry. You’re not heavy.” Taeyeon said smiling, causing Sunny to blush but Taeyeon didn’t see it. Taeyeon started climbing up the side so they could go back up the ledge. As they walked, Sunny contemplated at Taeyeon’s character.

“Sunny, does your ankle still hurt?” Taeyeon asked as she climbed up the mountain side.

“No.”Sunny lied. ‘It hurts so badly… but how can I say that when I see you working so hard?’

‘You’re always taking the responsibility from others. You allow Yuri to skip her school duties and even cover for her. You’re clumsy at times just like this morning when you fell in the room… But you work harder than anyone else. You act weirdly and sometimes, I just don’t get what you want me to think. You never let anyone help even when it’s me that offers it to you. At times, you may appear so strange just like when you bolted out the locker room but I guess that’s just what makes you, you.’

Taeyeon didn’t notice that Taeng just sent Dan a mental distress call.

Dan’s ears perked up as he got the signal. He struggled in Tiffany’s hold.

“Dan? What’s the matter?” She asked the small creature. It wiggled and Tiffany’s hold on him slipped.

“Wait, Dan!” Tiffany felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned to see Jessica.

“Stay here.” She watched as Jessica vanishes at the door. Tiffany looked down.

‘Why do you always go ahead of me?’

Jessica turned the corner where Dan went. Dan hid behind the wall as Jessica drew nearer. He, for a small animal, was very nervous. He had to get to Taeyeon right away but she can’t let anyone find out about it. Dan closed his eyes and concentrated.

“Huh? Taeyeon?” Jessica turned to see Taeyeon, who was actually Dan, sitting on the floor. Dan stood up but didn’t say anything. Dan knows himself that if he speaks; the Jung was going to find out that he wasn’t Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon? Where is Sunny?” Jessica asked the one in front of her. Dan was now very nervous than he was before. But fate was very kind to him.

“AH!!!” Jessica turned to look at Tiffany running toward her. When Tiffany hid behind Jessica’s back, Jessica froze a bit before she looked up to see Yuri holding another bug. It was clearly plastic but Tiffany was still scared nonetheless. Jessica glared at Yuri who sheepishly mumbled an apology. Jessica just sighed and turned to see that “Taeyeon” was gone. Once Tiffany had calmed down, she went out to search for the two while trying to get some signal.

“Inspector Lee, I need a search party.”

 

“Ha… Ha… Ha~” Taeyeon kneeled on a flat surface she climbed on when she made her way up the mountains with Sunny. She was breathing heavily as she was tired. Sunny could only look at her apologetically.

“I’m going to rest for a while… okay, Sunny?” Sunny nodded as she watched Taeyeon catch her breath. Her hands reached in her pocket where she got her handkerchief out. She wiped Taeyeon’s forehead while holding the girl’s cheek to keep her still. She felt Taeyeon lean on her touch. She smiled a bit, noticing that for once, Taeyeon actually leaned on someone else. And she was happy it was her.

But Taeyeon wasn’t really aware of what she did. She just leaned on the warm and comforting touch because, well, it was comforting. When she realized of what she had done, she opened her eyes to look at Sunny. Her heart beat rapidly once again.

‘No! I’m going to change.’ Taeyeon bolted right away to the nearby bushes. She had changed to Taeng again.

“You know, kid. It’s tiring if you change twice a day.”

‘Shut up!’ Taeng chuckled at the thought of Taeyeon blushing. His eyes found Dan.

‘Dan! You’re okay.’ Taeng heard Taeyeon say.

“Dan. Change.” He whispered to the rabbit. Dan changed into Taeyeon, complete with the winter gear.

“Taeyeon!” Sunny called. She called again. Dan came out as Taeyeon. Sunny frowned at her.

“Ya! Don’t go off like that.” Dan smiled but didn’t speak. He carried Sunny up so they could continue with the walk.

“Hey, Taeyeon. Do you know where to go?” Taeng mentally made a note on his mind that they have to go right but he panicked when Dan suddenly pointed to the left.

‘That idiotic rabbit is so getting it!’ Taeng scolded the rabbit internally.

‘Taeng! Do something. If they continue to that trail, they are going to-’ Taeyeon didn’t finish when Dan and Sunny actually slipped again.

“Ah!” Sunny screamed as the both of them fell down.

‘Taeng!’ Taeyeon called out at him. Taeng’s body moved on its own. He rushed to the place where Dan and Sunny felt.

“Taeyeon! Stop what you’re doing right now!” Taeng said to Taeyeon. It seems as though even if the one out is Taeng, in this case, Taeyeon was actually controlling everything.

‘I don’t care…’ Taeyeon was running near the cliff. Taeng was trying to stop Taeyeon from controlling the movement. The eyes were no longer red. They were brown.

“Taeyeon!” He tried again.

‘I don’t care if she finds out…’ Taeng stops. Taeyeon gains full control.

‘I don’t care if my identity’s revealed…’ They jump over the cliff, seeing Dan and Sunny on free fall.

‘Because all that matters…’ Taeyeon reaches out to follow Sunny, her hand just an inch from Sunny.

‘All that matters is…’ Once Taeyeon managed to take in Sunny’s body against hers, she embraced her tightly.

“Dan! Quickly!” Dan transformed into Taeng’s wings and Taeng flew up. Taeng looked to see Sunny was unconscious. He stares at her face before they land back on the trail, seemingly unseen but Jessica had seen Taeng flying down. She didn’t see Taeng change back though. She pressed her phone off.

‘I guess the search party wasn’t needed after all.’ Jessica places her phone back in her pocket.

When Jessica approached Sunny and Taeyeon, Dan had hid. She helped the two get back to the lodge. Their classmates had heard about it and they were very happy and relieved that Taeyeon and Sunny were found. They treated Sunny’s sprained ankle and everyone stuck close for the rest of the trip.

Taeyeon was happy and relieved that the horror was over. Sunny was safe and the trip ended peacefully. But she was troubled with something. Before Taeng had changed back to her, after they settled on the safe ground of the trail, he asked her something.

‘Are you my rival?’

 

A/N: Hey there guys! Here’s the next one. I think my heart is beating fast on this chapter. Did you get the events on this chapter? I’m afraid that you guys might overlook some stuff. Hehe. ^^

I’m trying to think of new ideas for another story but I think it has to wait until I finish this one. I want this one to be longer than the others that I have written.

Thank you guys for the comments and the new subscribers. When there are new ones, they make me smile and I’m really thankful for that. I hope you enjoy the story.

Oh, for those waiting for Yoonyul, I’m sorry but it might take a while before Yoona appears and for Yoonyul to be complete. I hope you don’t mind waiting. Okay, until the next one. ^-^v