Stage 22: The truth

DP: KT Angel

“That’s…” The two whispered but their attention was diverted to the presence at the door.

“Unnies! Yuri unnie is here!” Yoona said as she stood in front of the room. Her eyes met with the two on the floor and on the painting. She furrowed her eyebrows. Yuri comes in.

“Taey- Oh? Sunny is here too?” Yuri started but immediately noticed the painting on the side. She recognized it. She took her phone out and dialed a number before leaving the room. There was silence.

“Unnie, who is that in the painting?” Yoona asked, curious about the familiarity the painting brought.

“That… it is Jessica, isn’t it?” Sunny asked. Taeyeon stared at it. Slowly, she nodded.

“But I don’t think that’s Jessica unnie.” Yoona mumbled, enough to be heard.

“I’ll get you a glass of water.” Sunny said before exiting Taeyeon’s room.

Yuri walks back in.

“Yoong, I have to go. I’ll be back later. And Taeyeon…” She paused until Taeyeon looked at her.

“No matter what happens, don’t bring Jessica here.” And Yuri walked away.

 

“Wait, Unnie!” Yoona called as she followed Yuri. She stopped when Yuri turned back to her.

“You can’t come right now, Yoong. I promise I’ll visit you tonight. I have to check something first.” Yuri noticed the look of sadness on Yoona’s eyes. She sighed.

“I’ll be back. In the meantime, make sure that Jessica doesn’t come while Sunny is here.” She said before placing a kiss on Yoona’s forehead. She closed the door as she left. Yoona stood there for a moment.

“Yul…” Ash grey eyes replaced brown again and Yoona held onto the door knob. She stepped out of the house. She watched Yuri look around before continuing on her walk. Yoona wanted to follow but she couldn’t just leave. Yuri had entrusted her with a duty. A hand on her shoulder brought back her attention.

“Go. I’ll make sure things are okay here.” Yoona turned to the voice to see Sooyoung smiling. She returned the smile.

“Thank you, Sooyoung unnie.” She said before running off to the direction she last saw Yuri. Sooyoung watched with a smile as she could make out a wing outstretched from Yoona’s back, unseen by normal eyes.

“Yuri’s creation was complete. It’s your turn now, Yoona.” She said before going in the house.

 

Jessica felt the change. Several minutes after their embrace, she felt something wrong. She buried herself further in Tiffany’s embrace. The girl noticed this.

“Jessica?” She called out. Jessica didn’t respond but continued to hold onto Tiffany.

“Jessica, what’s wrong?” Tiffany asked again. She pulled away from Jessica and noticed the girl’s eyes were closed. She held Jessica’s face in her hands. At that gesture, Jessica opened her eyes unconsciously. Tiffany was surprised yet she didn’t pull away. Contrasting brown and blue eyes stared back at her.

“Ah…” Jessica let out a gasp when she realized that Tiffany stared into those eyes. She started pulling away but Tiffany held onto her in a way that brought her comfort.  The embrace managed to cover Jessica from any viewing eye.

“Let’s go.” Tiffany said after a bit, helping Jessica up.

“Tiffany… I…” Jessica didn’t continue when she met Tiffany’s gaze.

“I know about him, Jessica.” Jessica’s eyes widened when she heard this but she couldn’t formulate words as Tiffany pulled her out of the room. They continued down until they reached the living room and Tiffany noticed the clouds outside.

“Rain in summer?” She asked no one but she pulled Jessica so they could go out of the house. Jessica didn’t know where they were going. As if sensing this, Tiffany held onto Jessica’s hand tighter.

“We’re going to Taeyeon’s house. I’m willing to bet that this isn’t just you.”

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” Sunny asked worriedly. Taeyeon was covering her eyes.

“I’m okay. Could you call Yoona for me?” Taeyeon asked. Sunny stood up to call but she stopped, seeing Sooyoung in front of them.

“Yoona went out for a bit. What’s wrong?” Sooyoung asked. She noticed Taeyeon covering her eyes. There was a bit of a gap between her fingers and she saw red eyes. She quickly understood.

“Oh, don’t worry, Sunny. Taeyeon is just… some paint got into her eyes. Don’t worry about it. Please wait in the living room.” Sooyoung said as she helped Taeyeon out of the room.

Sunny went to the living room while Sooyoung brought Taeyeon to the basement where the artifacts are located.

“Thanks, Soo…” Taeyeon said as she uncovered her eyes, revealing brown and red.

“What happened? I can feel it. I’m not completely myself.”

“That’s right.” Taeng’s voice echoed in the room. Taeyeon and Sooyoung looked at the mirror on the other side of the room and walked towards it. Taeng also had brown and red eyes.

“There’s something wrong, Taeng. Do you know what’s going on?” Taeyeon asked.

“This has never happened before. Any ideas, Soo?”

“Since the Kims never attempted to do their own artwork, this is coming from your own power, Taeyeon. I am sure Yuri knows about this and its effect as well. That’s probably why Jessica shouldn’t come here.”

“My own power?”

“Yes. The master of either artworks, Taeng or Jesse, have their own special power. Apparently, yours have something to do with the artworks you create. But I don’t know what that is.”

Just then, they heard footsteps coming down to the basement. Taeyeon immediately covered her eyes, thinking it was Sunny.

“Taeyeon! I need your help!” They heard a voice. Taeyeon turned to see Tiffany with Jessica behind her.

“Jessica, you too?” Taeyeon exclaimed. Jessica nodded as she stared back at her with the brown and blue combination.

“Soo, do we have another mirror?” Taeyeon asked. Sooyoung nodded and proceeded on taking one of the artifacts from the sidelines. She set it beside the mirror Taeng was at and Jessica sat before it. A figure appeared beyond the mirror.

“…” Jesse didn’t say anything but his appearance was like Jessica’s, eyes were brown and blue. His eyes saw Jessica in front and for a moment, his eyes bore something of beauty before they were back to looking cold. Only Tiffany caught this look.

“Where is it?” Jesse inquired.

“Where is what?”

“Taeyeon – ssi, where is the painting?” Jesse asked again, this time his voice harsher. Jessica flinched at the pain that she suddenly felt. Transformations are always painful. She stared at Taeyeon. Thankfully, Taeyeon understood right away and stood up.

“Ya! Taeyeon, where are you going?” Taeng called out as Taeyeon was on her way out.

“I’m getting the painting. It’s in my room.” Taeyeon said but Sooyoung held onto her arm.

“Are you crazy? Sunny will find out if you go out. I’ll get it.” Sooyoung said. Taeyeon nodded and watched as Sooyoung go. Just then-

“ Taeyeon?” A pair of brown eyes met with a combined pair of brown and red.

 

Yoona followed stealthily. Yuri has been walking for a while now, occasionally turning at different corners. Finally, the last destination was the harbor. Yuri was just standing there as if she was waiting for someone.

“Yul-” Yoona was about to call when a man appeared. She listened.

“It’s time, Yuri. You have to make Yoona remember now.” The man said.

“No, not yet.”

“Come out, Yoona.” The man said, making Yoona freeze in her spot. Yuri looked around and at that moment, Yoona stood up and revealed herself.

“Yoong…” Yuri’s voice trailed off.

“Yul…” It was only then did Yuri notice that Yoona’s eyes were ash grey.

“I’ll be back later. Whatever it is you have to tell me, it can wait.” The man disappeared.

“Yul…” Yoona called again. Yuri turned her attention to the girl and she could see the single wing behind the girl’s back. She opened her arms and an insignia appeared at the floor where she stood.

“Come here, Yoong.” Yoona moved closer until she was directly in front of Yuri. She turned her back to her, with her eyes closed.

“I’ll make you remember.” And with that, Yuri touched the place where Yoona’s right wing was outstretched.

The wing glowed bright green. The green light continued to spread throughout Yoona’s back. It made the wing bigger as it stretched widely. Yuri’s eyes changed into lavender. Then, a left wing appeared behind her back, glowing purple.

“We are one now…” Yuri whispered as she took a step closer to Yoona, putting her arms around the girl. Her right arm was wound around Yoona’s body while her left hand rested just on top of Yoona’s heart. There was a bright glow, blinding all that may be viewing. After a bit, the man came back in view.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you like that, Yuri – yah. But this is the first time I’m seeing Yoona as a complete artifact. Very beautiful.” The man praised. Yoona hugged Yuri, revealing a knowing smile on her face, eyes closed, enjoying the moment. Yuri smiled at the gesture but immediately remembered why she met up with him in the first place.

 “We have a problem.” Yuri said after recovering from the ritual. At this, the man revealed a very worried expression.

“What has happened to Taeyeon? Is she alright?” The man asked, voice filled with panic and worry.

“Don’t worry. She’s not hurt but we need help with an artwork.”

“An artwork?”

“Yes. Taeyeon created one. And I don’t know how this will affect the both of them.”

“What is it?”

“She created a painting of… the first Jung Soo Yeon.” At this, there was a sound of footsteps that made them turn to another direction. By instinct, Yoona placed herself in front of Yuri right away. Although when she detected no danger, she still was cautious.

“James…” The man called to the other. James smiled at the man.

“I see you’re back, Kim Jungho.” A breeze blew in the harbor between the four.

 

“Taeyeon? What’s wrong with your eyes?” Sunny asked. Taeyeon didn’t know what to. Saying that she was nervous was an understatement.

“I told you, Sunny. It’s the paint.” Sooyoung tried.

“Then why don’t you go to the hospital? I don’t think changing eye colors is good.” Sunny said, holding onto Taeyeon.

“Her mom was keeping some remedies in here so I was looking for it.” Sooyoung covered up. Sunny was about to believe it but the silence from Taeyeon said otherwise.

“Tae?” She called out. Taeyeon looked back at her with the red and brown eyes. The striking red eyes were very familiar.

“Tae-”

“Jessica!” She was cut off at the sound of Tiffany’s voice. From the corner of her eyes, she saw movement. There she found Tiffany beside Jessica and two mirrors.

“What’s wrong?” She asked but before she could see anything else, Taeyeon beckoned her to exit the room.

“Please Sunny.” Taeyeon begged. Fortunately, Sunny complied. Sooyoung was about to come out as well but Taeyeon shook her head.

“I’ll get the painting. I can see just fine.” Taeyeon said to Sooyoung. “Watch out for Yuri and Yoona. Get a hold of them right away.” Sooyoung nodded and went to the two on the floor. Sunny and Taeyeon closed the door behind them. Sunny stood there as she watched Taeyeon move to the stairs.

“Taeyeon, what’s going on?” She asked, not liking how things are currently happening. Taeyeon walked in her room and in a second, came out with the painting.

“Taeyeon, answer me. What’s going on?” She asked, irritated. Taeyeon stared at her, and for some reason, Sunny didn’t like how Taeyeon looked at her. It was as if Taeyeon was pleading so much. She opened but closed it when Taeyeon sighed.

“Do you want to know?” Taeyeon asked. Without waiting for an answer, Taeyeon held onto Sunny’s hand with her free hand and took her back to the basement. Sooyoung stared at her in disbelief.

“Taeyeon!” Sooyoung called out. Taeyeon pulled Sunny past Sooyoung and at the basement, she stopped.

“What is-” Sunny didn’t continue. How could she speak, seeing a familiar figure in the mirror?

“Taeng?” Sunny couldn’t believe her eyes.

“This is a joke right?” She asked Taeyeon. Sadly, when Taeyeon turned to look at her, she was engulfed in dark light before Taeng appeared in front of her. She looked back at the mirror, now with Taeyeon looking back at her. Dan appeared on Taeng’s shoulder and in the mirror, Sunny recognized him as Daniel, the cousin Taeyeon introduced to her and her sister, Eun-kyu. In the mirror, he had dark wings and red piercing eyes like Taeng.

“Sunny?” Taeyeon asked from the mirror. Sunny fell on her knees, hardly believing what is in front of her.

“Sunny…” She turned to see Tiffany who was hugging Jessica. When she looked at the mirror, she saw a guy whose eyes were cold and was staring at her. She looked down. Gazing back at the mirror, she could still see Taeyeon’s face in it.

“Sun-” Taeyeon tried calling but Sunny ran out of the basement. At this, Taeng switched their bodies right away. He looked from the mirror and found Taeyeon just standing there.

“Pabo! Aren’t you going after her?” Taeng asked, shouting at Taeyeon, but he was silenced when he saw how Taeyeon looked at that moment. Her face bore no emotion but her eyes were b with tears, looking at the direction Sunny left. Sooyoung left right away.

“Taeyeon…” Deep inside him, Taeng knew that look. It was a familiar look that he had seen the last time this curse happened. And the shocking part was, it was not him who had that look.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jungho asked his voice rather hostile. James stood still.

“Don’t use that tone on me, Jungho.” He said calmly. He crossed his arms.

“Yuri, Yoona. Please step aside. We’re just going to talk.” He told the two artifacts. Yuri and Yoona stepped away for a bit, but did not leave the two men alone and are at a reasonable hearing distance.

“So, why are you back now?” James asked.

“I’m back to break the curse.” Jungho answered confidently. James frowned.

“How do you plan to do that? This curse in our generation has been in the family for a long time. It’s impossible to break.” James inquired.

“I am a Kim descendant. And so is Taeyeon. We have been purifying those cursed artifacts you Jung descendants make. We will break this curse together.”

“You two cannot do it alone. It would be fruitless. Even as a previous bearer, you didn’t have your powers.”

“I did have a power! But I allowed Taeng to use it instead.” James thought to himself for a bit. He turned to Yuri and Yoona.

“… Yuri. Yoona. Are you two helping him?” James asked the two.

“Yes, we are.” Yuri and Yoona said at the same time. James looked back at Jungho.

“Then why are you really back?” James returned the question to Jungho.

“I told you-” James cut Jungho off.

“Then you are just back to use Taeyeon, aren’t you?” James said to spite Jungho.

“How dare you?!” Jungho almost lunged at him but held his ground.

“It doesn’t make sense why you had to leave Hye In and Taeyeon in the first place. You could’ve been beside them all this time. Jungho! You left Taeyeon! You abandoned her when she was just six years old. Her! Your own daughter!”

“I had to leave for a reason! What excuse do you have? You changed for the worse ever since you found out that Jessica was going to have Jesse with her, ever since the first time white wings soared from her back. And why is it that you are so fixed upon catching Taeng, Hm? And to train your daughter to do so, no less. What is it do you want that you let our daughters and the artifacts to go through this again?” Jungho was filled with hatred.

“Do you really think that I’m that kind of a father?” James inquired.

“Yes, you are.” Yuri suddenly spoke.

“Yul…” Yoona whispered, taking hold of Yuri’s arm.

“I’m- no. I’m not sorry. I am tired of seeing Jessica like how she is now. She always thinks of the curse. And that her life is always on the line. I can’t stand how it’s always like that. She is always restraining herself to go for what she wants. Why is it that you let Jessica go through this alone?” At this, James clenched his hands.

“Why is it that either the angel is sealed until the next generation or the bearer dies? Don’t you care about your own daughter? What if Jessica dies? As her father, you should be concerned about that.” Yuri continued.

“I have always been there for her! She was the one that pushed me away!” James suddenly shouted. This caused shock to appear the other’s faces.

“What?” Yuri asked in disbelief.

“She was the one who wanted to do this alone. She shut herself from me. No matter how I try to help, she would refuse it. Ever since those wings sprouted from her back…” Tears of a father fell.

“Do you why Jessica would do that?” Jungho asked his anger dissipating.

“It’s all my fault though… I could’ve broken the curse the last time… But it was out of my control…” James said as he fell on his knees.

“What are you talking about?” Jungho asked.

“That painting that Taeyeon created… It was of someone that looked like Jessica right?”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“The first ever Jung Sooyeon… Jessica was named after my grandmother… and she was also Jesse’s lover…”

“What?!” At this exclamation, James immediately stood up as he realized something.

“We have to hurry back to your house!”

“Why?” Jungho asked.

“That… that painting… that artwork by your daughter, Kim Taeyeon… it will try to break the curse. However, since the Saekgeu Wings’ curse is the oldest and most powerful one there is, it cannot break it.”

“No… don’t tell me.” Jungho realized. Yoona and Yuri nodded to him. They stood up and immediately ran towards the house.

“That painting will split them apart since it can’t seal Jesse or Taeng. They could die.”

 

Sunny stayed out of the house. She didn’t leave though. She was sitting down at the steps. She couldn’t leave. Somewhere in her, she knew she had to stay, especially at this time. She stands up as she makes her mind up. As she was about to come back in, she sees four figures running towards her direction and the house.

“Yuri… Yoona…” She calls to them. At this, Yuri immediately realized that Taeyeon had revealed everything to her.

“Sunny, I’m sorry we had to keep this from you. Taeyeon, especially, did not want to hide anything from you. But right now, I can’t explain everything. Taeyeon might be-” Sooyoung opened the door and was shocked to see two familiar men.

“Kim appa? Jung appa?” She asked, totally confused.

“Wait! Appa?” Sunny exclaimed and turned to the men.

“Hi.” They both greeted at the same time.

“You are Taeyeon’s dad?” Sunny asked. But Jungho didn’t have time to answer when-

 “Argh!!!” There was a shout of pain from the inside. Only they could hear it due to the fact that it seemed muffled. It came from the basement.

“Taeyeon!” All of them ran in without thought, only of Taeyeon. They opened the door to the basement. They ran down the stairs and they saw Tiffany with Jessica and Jesse in front of one mirror and Taeyeon and Taeng on another. The painting was shining.

“Ah!!!” Another scream from Taeyeon froze them from their positions.

“Taeyeon!” Taeng’s voice echoed before a black wing emerged from her back but it was followed by a red one. Taeyeon was on the ground while a left black wing and a right red wing sprouted from her back.

“Taeyeon!” Sunny and Jungho called at the same time. Taeyeon looked at the source of Sunny’s voice and the other familiar one. When she saw Sunny and her father, her eyes widened.

“App- Ah!!!” Before Taeyeon could say the word she has been holding in for ten years, a searing pain coursed through her back. Red and black feathers were dispersed in the room, the red wing disappearing.

“Taeyeon!” Taeng called once more before he vanished from the mirror. The light from the painting died. Taeyeon’s body was on the floor, wings gone, and holes on her clothes from the wings.

“Taeyeon!” Jungho called as he ran towards his unconscious daughter. Sunny made her way next to Taeyeon, arriving just about the same time as him. They settled beside her. Yoona and Sooyoung went beside Taeyeon with Jungho and Sunny while Yuri went to check up on Jessica and Tiffany.

“Jessica, are you alright?” Yuri asked, receiving a nod. Jessica looked at Taeyeon. Yuri looked at Jesse and saw him looking as well. Both had looks of dread and it confused Yuri. When she looked at Taeyeon, she saw her eyes opened.

“Tae-” She stopped as she saw the figure sit up, black wings emerging from the back, and piercing red eyes appeared as the eyes opened.

 

A/N: Hey guys! I’m guessing you weren’t expecting an update today right? Hehe. ^^ I should be studying for finals but I wanted to get this off my chest so I could write the next chapter after Tuesday. I have finals until Tuesday since we started last Friday. Pretty crazy right? I mean, who starts a test on a Friday?

I promise I’ll be 100% back by next week. I only have six days of school. I appreciate everyone with me right now. The comments were wonderful and thank you for everything, guys. ^^

It’s Father’s Day today. My father isn’t the greatest. He apologized to me today for neglecting me for a time. I still love him even after all that. The only thing I can do is understand right? Don’t forget to wish your own fathers a Happy Father’s Day. Wherever they may be, please do. Even if any of you have troubles with yours, please do.

Well, I’ll see you all when my school is over. ^-^v