Stage 05: A bet with the Sergeant

DP: KT Angel

One night

Taeng snuck around the museum once again. This time, he has the artifact right away. With the bag in his hand, he stood near the window to escape into the night. He didn't continue towards it. In fact, he was waiting. He heard calm footsteps as they echoed in the room.

"What do you think you are doing, Taeng?" Jessica asked the thief. She eyed him suspiciously as he could have escaped right away but he waited for her arrival instead. Taeng faced her. Taeyeon was sleeping inside Taeng so she didn't know what was happening.

"I want to talk to you, Sergeant Jung."

"Talk?"

"I want to make a deal."

 

Shi Dae High School

Taeyeon was walking along the corridors of the school. It was still early. Classes haven't started. She could've stayed in the classroom but it was a bit lonely. Students were doing their own businesses at the moment. She looked down the hall to see the bulletin board. There were papers on the floor. She made her way to the pile and arranged them. She located the folder of which the papers should be placed. She arranged the papers and neatly placed them in the folder. Seeing as it was neat, she turned to make her way back to the classroom.

'Maybe Yuri is there by now...' She thought. When she turned, she saw a wobbling student carrying boxes. She knows that wobbling student. She can't possibly forget. She held the ends of the boxes the student was carrying. She heard a sigh of relief that made her smile. She moved her body so the student could see her.

"Hi, Sunny!" She greeted happily. Surprise was evident in her face.

"Oh! Tae- um... Taeyeon, what are you doing here? So early, too." Sunny said on the other side.

"Well, there was nothing to do at home. I decided to come to school early today."

"But today's a School Improvement Day. I don't think there'll be classes."

"Oh. Then that means Yuri won't be here." Taeyeon realized. She turned her attention back to Sunny and said, "I'm here with you anyway."

Sunny blushed at this. She knows Taeyeon can be blunt, but not this blunt! She felt the weight lessen from her arms. Taeyeon took some of the boxes.

"I'll help you with these." She said, carrying the boxes.

"Ah. Thank you. You've helped me a lot already." They started walking with both students' attention in front.

"It's all for you..." Sunny heard Taeyeon say. She turned to Taeyeon who seemed different from the Taeyeon she usually talks to. Sunny noticed that she had her head down with a smirk visible on her face.

"Tae-um... Tae?" Sunny just caught herself addressing the girl by Tae.

"Can you call me that again?" Sunny was surprised to hear that from Taeyeon.

"Eh?" Sunny made a complete stop.

“Sunny."

"What?" Then Taeyeon's head raised and she had nervous eyes looking at Sunny.

"No! Um... Please don't mind me. Come on. Um... We better bring this to the office." Taeyeon had a nervous and weird smile as she walked ahead a bit. Sunny was very confused.

"What was that?" She asked herself as she feels her heart race. She didn't know why but there was something about the Taeyeon from a little while ago that was very... She shook her head. She walked at a bit faster pace to catch up to Taeyeon.

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was walking ahead of Sunny and was having an inner argument with a snickering being.

"What the heck were you thinking, suddenly trying to take over?" Taeyeon could hear a loud snickering chuckle echoing in her mind as she feels her face heat up.

"What? It's fun. And besides, I just want to, okay?"

"Don't go doing things on your own. She probably thinks I'm odd now. My life..." Taeyeon sighs.

"It must be fun, right? You're life, I mean."

"Well. It is. Life can be hard but we manage. Life is all about challenging ourselves, I guess. That's one way to look at it." Taeng was silent for a bit. Then the words he spoke next caught Taeyeon off guard.

"I want to meet Sunny again."

"Wha-?!" Taeyeon didn't finish her thought.

"Taeyeon!" She heard Sunny call as she felt herself falling down. She realized that she must've not realized that she made a wrong turn and ended up facing the stairs instead of the office. She braced for the impact from the floor but she felt an arm around her torso. When she turned to look, she was faced by a serious but seemingly indifferent face.

"Be careful."

"Oh! Sorry, Jessica." She quickly stood up and helped Jessica up as well. She heard a crack as the two of them stood up. Jessica was gathering the supplies when Taeyeon saw a pair of broken glasses on the floor.

"Are these yours?" Taeyeon showed then to the Jung.

"Huh? Oh... My glasses."

"Sorry I broke them."

"No. It's fine. They're just for reading. I can always get a new one." Jessica placed the broken glasses on her pocket. Sunny came down and helped them.

"Are you alright, Jessica?" She asked. Jessica nodded.

"Yes. I'm fine."

"I'm sorry." Sunny apologized.

The three of them took the supplies to the office. Sunny left first, to run another errand from a teacher, leaving Taeyeon and Jessica together.

"I guess I'll go now."

"Let me go along with you. I'm planning on going home." They exited the school after collecting their stuff. The two were walking.

"You know, I made a bet with someone yesterday." Jessica suddenly spoke. Taeyeon listened.

"Oh? Who?"

"Taeng, the phantom thief." Taeyeon tensed a bit but she didn't think Jessica noticed.

"Really? What did he say?"

 

Last night

"I want to make a deal, Sergeant Jung."

"A deal?" Jessica asked as she stared at the young man.

"Yup. It's simple. If I get the Fallen Angel's Pendant tomorrow night, I win. If I win, you can't do anything to her."

"And if you don't?"

"Then you can do as you please."

 

"He said that?" Taeyeon laughed nervously but in the inside, she was already scolding Taeng. She could see him looking the other way, whistling, with both his hand covering his ears.

"Yes. And do you know who we were talking about?" Jessica faced Taeyeon completely.

"Eh..." Taeyeon's voice trailed off as Jessica stared straight at her as if to bore holes.

"Oh! Tae, what are you doing here? You're with a friend. What are waiting for? Invite her inside the ho-" Taeyeon turned to see her mom. Mrs. Kim didn't continue her words when her eyes met Jessica's. She immediately came to Taeyeon's side.

"Come on. Let's go. Grandpa is waiting at home."

"But..." Taeyeon looked at Jessica.

"Come on." Nevertheless, she followed her mom, leaving Jessica. When they were far enough, Mrs. Kim stopped pulling Taeyeon.

"Mom?"

"Be careful around that girl, Taeyeon."

"Eh? But she's already suspecting me." was what Taeyeon wanted to say.

"I will." She ended up saying.

 

Jung Residence

"..." Jessica didn't even bother to announce that she's home. There was no one to notice anyway. She picked up a newspaper from the table. Her father probably left one for her while she was out. She removed her shoes as she approach the living room which was a hallway away from the door. As she was about to read, her phone rang. While holding one end of the newspaper, she fished her phone from her pocket and answered the phone.

"Hello, Jung speaking... Father... Sure. I'll get ready right away... What? Ok, I'll see you there."

Instead of sitting on the sofa, she sat on the floor and leaned her back on the side. When she used her right hand to balance herself, she winced.

"Huh?" She looked at her wrist. There was a bruise.

"When did..." Then she remembered Taeyeon falling on the stairs a while ago.

"Oh. I sprained it then." She sighed. "This is bad..."

 

That afternoon, Kim Residence

Taeyeon was at home at their basement. She and Taeng were practicing on changing back and forth. Taeng said that it was to prepare for their heist later on. They stood before a mirror. This helped them see each other as they talked.

“So you made a bet with Jessica?” Taeyeon started the conversation.

“She told you about it?” Taeng’s voice came up.

“Yeah. Why wouldn’t she? She’s already suspecting me anyway.”

“How so?”

“I don’t know but she keeps cornering me about you. Just like this morning.”

“Well, we just have to make sure that she separates you from me and me from you. Now, come on.”

“Wait… you react to my feelings right?” Taeyeon suddenly had the urge to ask.

“Yeah.” Taeng answered. ‘I don’t like where this is going…’

“Does that mean you like…?” There was something in Taeyeon’s voice that was suggestive. Taeng knows that she was having doubts. And even though she was afraid to know the answer, she still asked.

“Don’t try to make me confess into something you haven’t even done… or realized.” Taeng whispered the last part. He knew what he wanted. But he wants for Taeyeon to know what she wants first. He wants her to desire what she wants. And it will be at the end will they both fight for it.

“Ok, fine. Let’s do this.” Taeng watched as Taeyeon concentrated and soon, he was being pulled out. When he opened his eyes, he was out and Taeyeon was in.

“Good. You can fully control our transformations now. What did you think of?” Taeng asked. Taeyeon didn’t answer right away but when she did, her voice was pure.

“Sunny.”

“Do you want me to answer your question?” Taeng asked.

“Eh?”

“Do you remember when I asked you if you were my rival?” He searched for Taeyeon’s eyes as he faced the mirror.

“Hm. That’s been bugging me for a while.”

“Then I’ll tell you.” He declared. He couldn’t help but smile as he saw her reflection as if she was leaning over at him, clearly interested at what he has to say.

“I’ll…” He started.

“… Tell you when you figure out what you want. As for the liking thing, you should know yourself. Because even though you are you, and I am me, we are still one person.” He laughed when he saw Taeyeon pout at the tease.

 

That night

Jessica was dressed elegantly in her sergeant uniform. Her face was naturally stoic, holding no expression as usual. She was in a room full of people of different ages but none of them were even near her age. They were in their early twenties until their fifties, Jessica knew.

"This is my daughter, Jessica." Her father was showing her off to the people. Clearly, he was being prideful about the accomplishments Jessica had achieved.

"Oh~ what a beauty. And she's sergeant of the police enforcement team. You're really proud to be her father, Mr. Jung." One man said.

"Yes. We're very close." Mr. Jung said as he placed a hand on Jessica's shoulder and brought their heads closer. Jessica had that 'he's lying' expression on her face though. The people only laughed at their display.

After she was shown off by her father around, they went to the control room with all the camera screens around the whole museum. He showed her the screen with the one with the Fallen Angel's Pendant's location.

"Now, we'll just have to wait. You're doing really great, Jessica." Her father said. Jessica didn't say anything but inspected the surveillance cameras.

“You know, I was expecting that you caught him by now.” Jessica didn’t respond to his words.

“Of course, I don’t mean to pressure you. It’s just all this reports your sending me all state that no progress have been made. And I was helping you can tell me more.”

“No. There’s nothing worth reporting.”

“Well, thank you for your hard work, nonetheless.” Jessica continued looking at the artifact.

There she saw the Fallen Angel's Pendant on its case.

"Wait...! This is fake."  Her eyes quickly noticed that the one on the case was fake. She ran outside the room.

"Jessica! Where are you going?" Mr. Jung called.

"I can't let him steal that." Though Jessica can catch Taeng by this method, she was not one of trickery. She ran to the room right away. She got in the door and there was a lock. It was voice activated.

"Sergeant Jessica Jung." She said to gain access.

Voice confirmation error. Please say your name again.

"What? My voice should've registered." She said in wonder.

"Because..."

Then she turned, noticing a presence behind her.

"Only one person can enter the room using that voice." Another Jessica appeared from the darkness.

"What are you doing here, Taeng?" She said. The Jessica in front just smirked. She flicked her fingers and black wings sprouted from her back. It enclosed on her form and glowed. When the wings vanished, they revealed Taeng.

"I'm impressed. Let the bet begin." Taeng declared as he watched Jessica make her moves. She first lunged at him, trying to pin him down. Taeng, who was expecting it, was able to side step. He quickly bolted for the door so he could get out. Jessica ran after him. It was then did she notice that he bolted for the door, not to get outside but, so he could exit through the window. He was going to escape. She saw the bag in his hand and she could make out the necklace. She smirked.

“Oh, you got it already.” She said as she ran after him. Just as she was about to catch him, she saw him hide. She decided to play along.

“I missed him…” She said as she feigned walking away. When Taeng came out, she immediately lunged at him. The next thing she knew, she was falling through the window and the lights in the police equipments turned off.

“What happened? The lights went off! Check the cords.” Inspector Lee could be heard ordering the others.

Jessica was holding onto the window’s railings. Unfortunately, when she lunged at Taeng, he managed to slip out of her hold. Her wrist was hurting. She had hurt it a while ago when she helped Taeyeon at school.

‘No good…’  She thought. Her grip on the railing slipped and she feel herself falling down. Then, she felt a hand around her wrist.

“Be careful.” She looked up to see Taeng. He saved her.

“I have returned the favor from this morning. I won.”

 

The next morning

Taeyeon walked up to Jessica.

“About yesterday… If Taeng was talking about me, would you let me go?” She asked. Taeyeon wanted to know about it. Throughout the night, while Taeng was out, he only told her to rest. She didn’t know anything about what had happened between those two. She saw Jessica turn to her.

“What are you talking about?” Jessica said with a clearly amused smirk and walked off. This only caused Taeyeon to be even more confused. But she knows Jessica probably won’t try and catch her anymore.

“Did you win?” She asked.

“Of course, I did. Just because she’s a very beautiful girl, it doesn’t mean I won’t try to win.”

“Heh…” Taeyeon just scoffed at Taeng’s attitude.

"So after school..."

"Hm?" Taeng didn't continue.

"Never mind. Maybe next time."

"Well, okay." Taeyeon was curious. But it's not like she can force Taeng to tell her. She continued with her school activities and duties that day.