Stage 09: A Gift of Rutile

DP: KT Angel

That morning, Kim Residence

Taeyeon and Jessica were pondering really hard about where they would find Tiffany. They know the town is not that large but what if Yoona had taken Tiffany somewhere else? But at the same time, Jessica and Taeyeon were using the training that Taeyeon's mom and grandfather had designed. Of course, they were old ones so both of them were able to finish them without a sweat. They decided to tweak it themselves. Of course, it was not only the two of them in the basement. There was a mirror so Taeng's comments would echo in the room occasionally.

"Ya! What's taking you two long? We have to start looking for her now. I want to get her back from that artifact already."

"Shut up, Taeng! Why don't you wait? And don't you even try to rush us! It's not our fault that you gave yourself two days to return Tiffany back!" Jessica's voice echoed in the basement and she was glaring at the mirror. Taeyeon was on the other side of the room near the training equipments they were tweaking.

Jessica had a point. Taeyeon knows that. Score one for the Jung.

"Don't blame me either. I chose two days so she can get back to school normally by Monday. It's all your fault, Sergeant! If you didn't leave, she wouldn't be sad and we wouldn't have to bring her to that place."

"I know that... Now, stop bossing us around!" Jessica turned back to her work. Taeng and Taeyeon heard the tone of Jessica's reply. They were both shocked at this. They never knew that Jessica had been beating herself up when she found out about Tiffany's kidnapping.

Ding! Dong!

"I'll- we'll go up for a bit, okay?" Taeyeon told Jessica but she didn't say anything. She did turn to her computer. It was probably to check the databases again. Taeyeon walked up the stairs to find a familiar face.

"Oh? Yuri, what are you doing here?" Yuri waved at Taeyeon as she walked in.

"Just wanted to give you two- er, I mean just visiting." Taeyeon didn't notice the strangeness.

"Well, I'm a little bit busy but if you don't cause any trouble, then you can stay until I'm done with my errands."

"Errands?! Heh... More like an operation." Taeyeon could hear Taeng's voice.

"Don't worry. I won't stay long. But I will be visiting often." As soon as Yuri finished, someone else had entered the room.

"Oh, Kwon Yuri is here. I wonder what was taking you so long." Jessica said as she met the two in the living room.

"Mwo?! Jessica Jung is here too? Waa~ Yesterday, I saw the phantom thief and now, I see Jessica Jung!"

"What kind of person is she?" Taeyeon raised a brow and wondered about the statement Taeng had let go.

"She thinks seeing the Sergeant is bigger than seeing me!" She fought back the urge to laugh at Taeng's comment. Yuri's voice made snap out of her laughing state.

"As I said. I won't stay long. But I do want to give you this." Yuri handed Taeyeon a ring.

"Now, before you say anything, it's not a promise ring or whatever."

"Ya! I wasn't thinking that." Taeyeon hit Yuri's arm lightly while Yuri feigned hurt. Jessica just watched them amusingly.

"It's really popular these days. Let Jessica look at it. She should recognize it." Taeyeon showed it to Jessica.

"Oh, it's a copy of the Rutile Ring. I just agreed to place the original in the Soshi Art Museum." Yuri nodded while Taeyeon just stared at the ring.

"Well, that's all what I went here for. See you on Monday, Taeyeon. Jessica." And with that, Yuri let her out of the door. Taeyeon was about to go back to the basement when Jessica stopped her.

"Jessica?"

"Let's look for Tiffany now." This statement confused Taeyeon.

"But we don't know where to look?"

"It's likely that Yoona would stay in the perimeter since she just came out now. She will be somewhere in this town."

"Okay. Where do we start?"

"Let's start at their neighborhood. Since we didn't feel any presence around your neighborhood, then there has to be something in hers."

"Right. I'll get ready." Taeyeon said as she went up her room to change clothes. Jessica came up after a while. She saw Taeyeon dressed up.

"Why are you wearing your uniform?"

"Well, it seems that Taeng also transforms his clothes if I wear my uniform. And I can't go around in his outfit. It will be more suspicious than wearing my uniform."

"You can control it. It's not based on what you wear. You two have to train together while transforming back and forth. It'll be tiring since it will cost a lot of energy so only train little at a time. Sooner or later, you can wear anything and Taeng will still transform with different clothes."

"Oh. Well, what should I wear then?"

"Casual."

 

Later

Inspector Lee had no idea what to do since it wasn't often that Sunny was like this. When he tried to ask her, she said that she'll be fine in two days. He didn't try to ask more about it. He felt that he had no right since he would always get busy with work. But Sunny would feel this somehow, and she would say that it's not his fault. She would cheer him up. So he just hugged her tightly before working again.

Sunny was not very energetic that morning. She was still worrying about how Tiffany is. It's been several hours since the incident. She knows that Taeng will bring her back.

"Taeng will bring her back." She repeated this to herself. It did manage to lift her spirit a bit. She breathed in deeply and exhaled. She went to her window to wait. But she was restless. That is, until she saw a familiar figure.

"Oh? Jessica is back." Then, there was one person following.

"Taeyeon? Where are those two going?" She saw them looking around as if they wanted to be inconspicuous but their actions just made them very suspicious. Then, they bolted. This made Sunny lean on her window to look where they were headed.

"Why are they going to the lighthouse?"

 

At the lighthouse

Tiffany was just sitting down when Yoona came in.

"I can feel them. They're on their way."

"Who?"

"The Saekgeu wings will be mine soon. Then I'll..." Tiffany waited for Yoona to continue but she didn't instead she warned her.

"Please don't get in the way. As much as possible, I don't want to use my powers on you again. If I made you unconscious so many times, it will affect your health. Yesterday was just one time. The next one could affect you more."

"I'll try not to." Yoona can't help but feel amused at Tiffany's calmness, even in the presence of someone who kidnapped her.

"You're pretty calm."

"Shouldn't I be?"

"I don't see what she sees in you..." Yoona whispered that part so Tiffany didn't hear it.

"What?"

"Nothing. They're here. Stay here. I'll let you go after." Yoona said as she left the room and met with the people outside. She walked for a while until she saw them. Apparently, they haven't seen her. Her eyes saw two young girls. They looked like they were just about the same age in appearance as her. They were going through the traps she set around. She was about to ignore them when she saw one of them transform. She mused at the discovery.

 

Taeyeon and Jessica were passing through the traps with each other’s help. One of them was an open corridor. There were open arches of design that let some light in.

"There are no traps on this one. I can't see anything." Taeyeon said as she was about to walk forward.

"Wait. Remember, you're not dealing with human traps anymore. There will be magic involved since we're going against Yoona." Jessica took out a coin from her pocket. She tossed it to the open area with light visible. Suddenly, Taeyeon saw poles charging from each direction to where the coin was.

"The 100 pole technique. It attacks anything that is shined by light. The light hides the poles so the target will be killed immediately. Let's walk through there." Jessica pointed to the shaded area that the arches covered. They passed through that one safely.

Now, there was a room with pillars in them. Some of the pillars were destroyed, others still standing but only half was visible.

"Can you see anything?" Jessica asked Taeyeon. Taeyeon squinted but she didn't see anything.

"We can train your eyes later. For now, I need Taeng out."

"Okay. Huh?! Wait!" Jessica pushed her to the pillars. There was a flash of light again and the pillar was sliced in half. On the top of a pillar nearby, Taeng was breathing heavily because of the adrenaline.

"Ya! You idiotic Sergeant! Couldn't you just wait until Taeyeon transform? Was that even necessary?"

"Sorry. I often overestimate people. I thought you can handle it. Seems like you can't."

"Ya! I did avoid it."

"Guys, stop it. We have to save Tiffany now." Taeyeon said to the two.

"She started it!" Taeng pointed a finger at the Jung who was looking the other way indifferently.

"Grow up, Taeng. You're older than me." Taeng frowned at Taeyeon's words.

"You look ugly if you frown." Jessica stated before jumping on top of the half - sliced pillars and skillfully avoiding the lights that flashed around.

"Ya!" Taeng shouted at the Sergeant as he followed. The two jumped from different parts of the large room, sometimes even managing to run on the walls before changing course. Taeng had to admit. The Sergeant can be a really fun person to play with, even if she can throw insults so easily at him.

"Oh, what is this?" Jessica looked as they ran to see Taeng looking at the Rutile ring on his fingers.

"That's a copy of the Rutile Ring. And since I made those copies, they have a secret power to them. It's not a lot for they'll break at the use. The real one is at the museum."

"Are you sure you should be telling me this?"

"I don't think it'll be fun if you didn't know. Sooner or later, that's the next piece you'll be stealing and I'll be there, waiting for you."

"You know, Sergeant, you have to stop talking like that. Ever since we met, you've been talking like a crazed lover. Even then when Taeyeon unlocked that lock system from your school's art room. It's creeping me out." Taeng just heard Jessica's laugh and from the sound of it, it was genuine.

They reached the end and they were at the base of the lighthouse. The room was circular and had stairs encasing steps around the walls up to the actual light room.

 

"We're here."

"Welcome, Saekgeu wings." Taeng and Jessica turned to Yoona who was on the very top. Yoona was still adorned in the same mysterious clothes she had yesterday, only today, she had a green turtleneck instead of gray.

"You have a nice sense of style." Taeng commented. Jessica and Yoona had an equally incredulous look.

"Pabo! This isn't the time to be praising her style." Jessica hit Taeng.

"Ouch! What? I'm just stating a fact." Taeng said before turning to Yoona and looking more serious.

"Where's the girl?"

"I'll give her back when I get what I want." Taeng eyed her before asking.

"What do you want?" He saw Yoona move.

"I want... the Saekgeu wings." Still a blank expression on her face, Yoona charged at the middle of Taeng and Jessica to hit the both of them. As expected, Taeng and Jessica jumped to opposite directions. Jessica was on one side while Taeng managed to go near the stairs.

"Not bad. As expected of the Saekgeu wings." Yoona said. She saw Taeng and Jessica on different sides of the room. Her heterochromatic eyes, ash gray and brown, reflected enjoyment in the challenge at hand.

"This will be fun." She charged at Taeng at first, who was by the stairs about to go up. Yoona rushed to attack him. As reflex, Taeng crossed his arms in front of him to shield the attack. He was pushed from his spot, his back hitting the wall.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk... You never learn, do you?" Taeng heard Yoona said.

"What?!" He saw as her hands glowed again and he was blasted to the wall, creating a hole on the side. Dust particles blinded the scene and Jessica waited for it to settle down before she could see. Then, she felt a presence behind to which she faced and tried to counter. When Jessica used her arms to shield Yoona's attack as well, she turned her body so she could deliver a kick that would make sure that Yoona stayed away.

"Master..." Yoona said as Jessica's prediction came true. When Jessica aimed to kick Yoona, the girl did jump back.

"Yoona." Jessica went in defense mode just in case that Yoona attacked as well.

"Why?" This question made Jessica wonder. At this moment, Yoona used the opportunity to charge at Jessica as well.

"Why?" She just repeated. Jessica tried to concentrate on evading the attacks. Once again, Yoona attacked which Jessica defended using her arms. However, Jessica wasn't able to counter when Yoona's hands glowed right away.

"Why did you have to separate me from her?" The light blasted her to the floor and it was once again hard to see. Yoona flew up and stayed suspended in air. When the dust settled, Jessica was crouching on the floor. She looked rugged and beat up. She stared up at Yoona from her spot, the middle of the crater on the floor.

"I should've expected that you're Palm techniques have improved." Jessica looked at the side on the hole on the wall to see Taeng was unconscious.

"For him to be unconscious after you used it on him, you improved a lot."

"Answer me." Yoona said as Jessica looked back at her.

"I didn't separate you from her! She vanished."

"She promised that she won't leave me. And because of you..." Yoona clenched her fists. She swung her heel back so it hit the base of the pole fastened to her back. The pole separated from the case on her back and out of the ragged cover. It was a long silver pole, thin but very resilient. Yoona caught it skillfully as it sprung from the air and she positioned herself in a stance.

"Do you think that you're pole attacks would work on me?"

"I don't know. I haven't tried." Yoona charged at Jessica again and this time, Jessica equally charged up, jumping from her spot as she used her hands to stop Yoona's pole. They passed each other as Yoona ended up on the floor while Jessica managed to reach the stairs where Yoona was. Then, the both of them turned and attacked each other again. They ended up in different parts of the room, once in a while landing on the wall and pushing to gain a faster momentum so they would get a chance to hit the other.

Taeng stirred and opened his eyes.

"Oh, Taeng! You're awake. Thank goodness. Come on. Let's help-" Taeyeon got cut off when they heard Jessica scream as her body hit the wall, another hole on the other side of the room.

"Sergeant!" Taeng saw Jessica's body lying on the debris, still conscious. He was about to move when he heard a familiar loud voice.

"Jessica!" Taeng looked up to see Tiffany, her eyes filled with worry and sadness, tears threatening to fall. He watched as Jessica looked up to meet Tiffany's eyes and their eyes met. Apparently, Jessica didn't notice that Yoona was about to blast her with another light blast.

"Watch out!" Taeng didn't have his wings since the last time he did, Taeyeon sustained his injuries so he jumped really high so he could take the attack. He closed his eyes as he readied himself for the impact. Then, there was a dark light that became visible in the light. Taeng opened his eyes to see the Rutile ring light was stopping the attack. It absorbed the light. He smirked as he watched it do the trick. He pushed the attack back so it went straight to Yoona. There were faint lights as well in the light blast that Taeng returned. It hit Yoona right away. When the light died, he watched as she fell on the floor.

"Yeah!" He raised his fist up in victory.

"Ya! Taeng, where's Tiffany?" Taeng froze at Taeyeon's question. He looked around and saw that Jessica was also no longer there.

"Where's the Sergeant?"

"Taeng!" Taeyeon shouted at him. He looked in front to see one last attack from Yoona. It was another palm light blast. Her hands glowed again and she sent it to Taeng one more time. This time, Taeng was ready.

"Ready?" He asked Taeyeon. An astral projection of Taeyeon appeared in front of him.

"Ready." Taeyeon said. They placed both of their hands in front of them, their hands over each others. Their hands produced a red light instead of black. And it engulfed the light blast Yoona sent. Yoona was hit by the light returned and when the light died down, she was sitting down on the floor, exhausted. She looked up to see an equally tired-looking girl walking towards her. She thought that she was going to get finished off, and then she felt a hand on her head. She looked up.

"Hey, Yoona... Want to live with me?" Yoona stared at the girl.

"Who are you? How did you know my name?" Yoona asked.

"Ehehe... I'm Kim Taeyeon. I'm Taeng's tamer. I'm friends with your master."

"How could you be friends with her?" The undertone Yoona's voice had clearly was still very upset about Jessica.

"She is just like me. A normal teenager. Why not?"

"Why are you nice to me? I kidnapped your maiden." Yoona became confused when she saw Taeyeon chuckle.

"She's not mine. She's your master's." Yoona's eyes widened.

"Besides, if you stay with me, you won't be alone." Yoona closed her eyes before leaning on Taeyeon.

"Thank you, unnie..." Taeyeon stayed still. She didn't notice a couple of white feathers on the ground.

 

 

Soon after, Yoona was asleep. Taeyeon was just sitting there when she heard footsteps. She looked up to see Jessica.

"You got Tiffany? Taeng and I were worried. You two suddenly vanished." Taeyeon said as she saw Jessica. Jessica had Tiffany in her arms, covered with her white coat. The coat had holes on the back. Taeyeon eyed them.

"What happened?"

 

Earlier

Jessica and Tiffany's eyes met. At that, Jessica felt a familiar pain in her chest.

"No..." Then a bright light shielded Tiffany from her vision. She saw Yoona's light blast again and Taeng was on the receiving end. She watched as the Rutile Ring take in the light. But she knew what would happen. The Rutile ring was mainly used to counter. It will break and disintegrate after one counter-attack. She saw Yoona use one of her hands to make Tiffany unconscious again. It was the Sleigh of Sleep technique.

"No..." The pain in her chest multiplied. She reached in her clothes and took out a similar ring. It was another Rutile ring. She slipped it in her finger. But she couldn't stop her transformation. She was covered in white light and she curled to bear the pain. Wings started coming out of her back. It covered her body and in an instant, there was a blonde man.

When the wings gave way, they flapped strongly and he was up and out of the window to catch the falling Hwang. He caught the figure and he slowly started going down on the ground. His face was down casted and it couldn't be seen at all. He flinched for a bit then he raised his head to look and inspect any injuries on the sleeping Hwang. His eyes were not blue. They were brown.

He observed the serene face of the girl in his arms. He landed on the ground and kneeled as if to set her down but didn't let her go. He watched as the ring on his finger disintegrates. He looked at Tiffany's face and caressed her cheek.

"...." He didn't say anything but he did embrace her tightly. He was once again enveloped in light and his hair grew longer and his form, more slender, transforming.

Jessica reluctantly moved away from Tiffany so she could carry her again. She walked in the room to see Taeyeon and a sleeping Yoona.

 

Taeyeon looked at Jessica, expecting an answer.

"Nothing. Here, take Tiffany. She's not hurt so take her back to Sunny. I'll take Yoona back."

"Umm... Jessica."

"Yes?"

"Can Yoona stay with me instead?"

"I'll take her to your house. I'll this favor for you since on Monday, we're back to ourselves." The two walked out of the place. It was already late afternoon. They received a couple of weird looks because they were badly beaten up each with two girls on their backs as they walked. Jessica went straight to Taeyeon's house while Taeyeon transformed as Taeng in a better disguise. He jumped to Sunny's window and walked in. Sunny was sleeping.

"I guess she was waiting. She even left the window open..." Taeng and Taeyeon stared at Sunny. They placed Tiffany next to Sunny. Taeng reach in his pocket and took out his card. He left after wards.

 

Sunny woke up that night. She opened her eyes and was met with an equally confused one.

"Ahh!" Both of them shouted and fell on the floor. They both raised their heads to look at each other.

"Omo! Tiffany."

"Sunny!" They hugged each other tightly. They were glad to meet again.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't expect someone to come and kidnap you." Sunny apologized.

"No. It's fine. I wasn't hurt. And I'm back now." Tiffany gave a smile to Sunny and this reassured her.

"Oh? What's that?" Sunny asked, pointing to Tiffany's forehead.

"Hm?" She reached up and it was a card.

I have successfully stolen her back. Phantom Thief Taeng.

"Oh. It was Taeng that helped a while ago. But I thought I saw..." Tiffany thought. She looked at Sunny and saw the girl was smiling. She nudged at her playfully, which caught Sunny's attention. Sunny blushed and quickly started babbling.

"No. No! It's not what you think."

"I haven't said anything!"

"I know you're thinking it!"

"You're not a mind reader!" And they spent the whole night in a sleepover.

 

The next morning, Kim Residence

"Aww~ you look so cute!" This statement woke Taeyeon up. She hurried down only to be greeted by a blushing Yoona and her mother. She sighed.

"What is this?" She couldn't help but say in reaction to the scene before her.

"It's Yoona, Tae. And I've given her a change of clothes."

"Omma. This is not a change of clothes. That is a butler outfit."

"Oh, you're right." Taeyeon nodded her head.

"Maybe this barista outfit would be better instead." Her mom continued.

"Omma! Wait, where did you get that? No, never mind. Just give her normal clothes. She'll stand out if she isn't dressed casually."

"Hmp. No fun." Her mom went off.

"Sorry about that, Yoona."

"Oh, don't mind it, unnie. It's fun. You're mother is pretty enthusiastic."

Ding! Dong!

"Hm? Who could that be?" Taeyeon went to open the door.

"Hi, Taeyeon. Good morning."

"Oh, Yuri. Good morning. Come in." When Yuri walked in, she saw Yoona right away.

"Oh my! Taeyeon! You didn't tell me you guys have a barista!"

"Uh... Yeah. This is Im Yoona. She's practically family already."

"Nice to meet you, Yoona. I'm Yuri. Kwon Yuri." Yuri held out her hand for a hand shake. Yoona seemed a bit dazed at first but recovered and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you as well, Yuri."

 

Jessica was at home. She was sleeping. But her eyes opened, signaling her consciousness.

"Be careful around that Kwon, Taeyeon. She might be dangerous." She said as she remembered the moment when Yuri visited Taeyeon yesterday. She managed to slip a ring in Jessica's pocket without even being close. There was a note. It said, "This will help you well."

"I still have to thank her though."

 

A/N: Hey guys. How's this chapter? I think this was really good. My heart was beating so fast while I was writing this chapter. ^^ Hope you guys like it and I hope you saw what I was seeing in my head as well.

Thank you very much to those who commented on the last chapter. I appreciate them very much. And I got four more subscribers. Yeah! Oh, and thank you very much for the three upvotes from Chresentia, aznsone93, and prizzychic1. I hope I didn't disappoint you in this chapter. ^^

I'm thinking about the next chapter and I realized that I have no idea what to do yet. Any ideas? Hehe.

Oh, after I post this, I'm working on the sequel for Emotions and the revision of Impermanence. I'll get to it as soon as I can. I'll have to try to post it next week with the next chapter.

For Impermanence, no one is still together. That's the thing I had tried to show.

Okay. See you guys on the next update. ^-^v