Stage 01: Incident of Resurrection

DP: KT Angel

Sirens were heard everywhere at this chaotic night. The reporters rushed to the area, about 250 meters from the SoShi Art Museum. There were black and white feathers surrounding the building. It obstructed clear view of the area but the reporters tried to catch the event. There was a deafening sound as the intricately designed statue of the roof broke in two, letting out more of the feathers and light.

A young, white-winged man flew in, in pursuit of another individual.

"TAENG!" His voice echoed on the museum's walls.

His foe, another winged young man, faced him as he tried to land a punch. The young black-winged man only smirked as he caught the fist and he used his wings to cut off the other one’s. He wrapped the both of them with his wings as the other was without flight. They formed a ball of light that traveled further in the museum. The ball hit a huge and presumably old wall, poorly covered with tattered covering.

The white-winged man felt his back hit something. He looked behind him to see what it was and he was distraught at what he discovered.

"The Saekgeu Wings?" He whispered. He looked at the man.

"Are you planning to seal me?!" He questioned, shouting at the black-winged man. The man slowly crossed his arms over his as he flew back. He quickly opened them, this motion activating the use of his powers. Black feathers acted as restraints that held the white one in place.

"If you do this, you'll-" He didn't continue as the ritual was taking effect.

"TAENG!" He shouted before being swallowed by darkness.

"Goodbye." The black one said as he too was engulfed in darkness.

 

40 Years Later

The room was dark, only lighted by a huge fire in the middle. Three individuals were covered in black cloaks. It was obvious that two were adults. The last one is assumingly in their teens.

"The Darkness that has been alive for centuries before and to come, awaken!" A voice marked with age was heard from one of the adults.

"Bestow your power onto this child and show yourself to us!" Another voice from the adults echoed through the room. For a moment, everything was silent. The one in their teens stood quietly then spoke.

"So you woke me up just for this? I could've slept in." She said as she removed the hood of the cloak. It revealed her brown hair and brown eyes.

"What are you saying, Tae? This is very important. Aww~ is the cloak too long for you?" Taeyeon sighed at her mother's words. The cloak was just right except for the length. It was too long that it passed her feet and pooled on the floor. She removed the cloak, revealing her uniform.

"I want to sleep more. What time is it anyway?" She asked. An unknown animal jumped on her grandfather's shoulder.

"Oh! Taeyeon. Dan says it's time." Her grandfather said. Taeyeon eyed the rabbit-like creature on the other side of the room before her eyes widened.

"Wait! It's 7:45?! I'm going to be late." She rushed up the stairs to get out of their basement. She tripped on her way up.

"Taeyeon! Don't let your guard down. Danger lurks where we don't expect them." She nodded at her grandfather's words. She made her way up in a hurry.

"That kid... I never said it was 7:45. All I said was it's time." Her grandfather said but she didn't hear since she was already up. Soon she was on her way out. She had a piece of bread with butter on it in . Her bag was already secured on her back.

"Tae! Don't forget to be home by 4:52 sharp. Or something bad is going to happen." Her mom shouted.

"Ne! I'm off." Taeyeon answered back. She had a record for never ever coming late and she intends to keep it that way.

Adrenaline pulsed through her veins as her school was still far away. She didn't know it was still early though. She made her way around her small part of the district. When she turned, there were people carrying handful planks of wood. Seeing as she can't jump or stop, she slid down the space underneath the workers.

"Ah! Sorry there, Taeyeon." One of the workers said.

"I'm alright. I'm going now." She said, smiling at them while hurrying backwards then turning to continue her way to school. Seems that it wasn't enough, there was a track driving about. The road was with water from the rain yesterday. As if knowing Taeyeon was coming, chance allowed the tires to accidentally skidding on a crack road. The compartment opened and let out barrels of merchandise.

"Watch out!" The driver said. It was fortunate that Taeyeon was the only one outside at this moment. Her eyes immediately found a very long rope. She took it as she passed it by. She used momentum to allow her to jump an amazing height and skillfully gathered the rolling barrels and set them up. The truck stopped and the driver came out.

"Oh! Kim. Doing good deeds again?" The man asked as he found the barrels stacked and Taeyeon placing the rope back.

"Good morning, sir. It's the least I could do to help." Taeyeon said as she bowed and waved at the man.

"Thanks for the help!" The man shouted as she left. She continued her way too school. In no time, she saw the school gates. Her friend was there already.

"Taeyeon! Slow down." Her friend shouted from the gates. Taeyeon finally slowed down to catch her breath. It took only a few minutes to catch her breath.

"Geez! What did you do? Run all the way here?" The girl asked.

"I thought I was going to be late. What time is it, Yuri?" Yuri looked at her watch.

"It's 7:52. Why?"

"Oh. I must have mixed the times up. My mom woke me up early so." They headed in the school.

Two students entered the gates after they left. They weren't exactly sisters but they were close to each other as one.

"How was your morning, Sunny?" The girl beside her asked as they had met up at the gates. They walked side by side.

"It was pretty good. But my dad won't stop talking about his job. He said something unheard of in years would happen tonight around 11." Sunny sighed. She loves her father but he gets too excited for his job. There's nothing wrong with that but sometimes, it gets annoying if that's all he talked about.

"How about yours, Tiffany?" The girl's smile said something different.

"It was so beautiful. I had a dream that I finally made that Jung second place at something. When I woke up, ideas started coming in." Tiffany paused. "I'll challenge her with every chance I get."

"You know, sometimes I wonder if that's healthy for you. I don't even think that she cares if you win at something." Sunny said but it seems that Tiffany didn't think of what she said.

"She'll realize I'm better than her soon." Tiffany let out a laugh full of mirth. Sunny could only smile nervously at her competent friend. For some reason, it has always been like this since Tiffany met the Jung. Why Tiffany is like this to the oblivious Jung is sometimes a mystery to her.

 

The classes went by quickly as this was just a normal school day. As Taeyeon was preparing her stuff so she could go home, she was approached by Yuri.

"Tae..." Taeyeon flinched at the tone. If Yuri calls her like this, this usually means she was either going to do something she doesn't want to do or the girl would ask her to do the cleaning duty in her position. She thinks it's the latter.

"What is it?" She asked cautiously. Here it comes.

"Can you please clean for me today?" And there it is. She stayed silent to torture her a bit.

"Tae~" Yuri called again. Taeyeon sighed.

"Okay, fine. But is there any reason why you're skipping... again?" She asked. She saw Yuri's eyes sparkle. This meant something. It means that there is a scoop.

"I heard from my mom that something big will happen tonight around 11. So I have to get ready." She sighed again.

"Alright. Just this time for this month. I'm not letting you skip again." Yuri beamed happily and hugged her friend.

"Thanks! I'll make it up to you and give you a present tomorrow." Yuri gave her a card key so she could access it and went out. Taeyeon sighed again. Sunny and Tiffany noticed this.

"Hey, Taeyeon. Would you mind if we help?" Tiffany asked while Sunny stared at her. Taeyeon looked at the both of them and smiled.

"No. It's fine. Thank you for the offer."

"But-"

"I don't want to hold you two up." Taeyeon said last before exiting the room. Sunny and Tiffany sighed. This wasn't odd. They tried a couple of times. Every time this happened, they asked Taeyeon if they could assist her but the girl would always decline their offer. They went home. Tiffany was trying to solve equations while walking as training while Sunny thought of Taeyeon's predicament.

"She's just too nice..." She whispered quietly.

"Did you say something?" Tiffany asked to which Sunny just shook her head.

 

Taeyeon stood in front of the art room.

"Why am I doing this again?" She hung her head low as she sighed. She slid the card key to the device but it was still locked.

"Error?" She checked the card key and it said library.

"Wrong card... The office is all the way downstairs, the farthest room in the left wing. That's on the other side of the building." She sighed again.

"Well, there's no way I'm walking or running there." She said to herself as she opened the device's lock system. She pushed in a couple of keys and clicked enter. The lock was released. She went in but stopped as she felt that someone was behind her. She jumped back to see a familiar face around the school.

"Jessica! Wha- wha- Did you see that?" Taeyeon panicked. She wasn't really supposed to unlock the device using that method. It was unheard of.

"Saw what?" Jessica asked, looking at her unknowingly.

"Ah. It's nothing. What are you doing here?"

"I'm on cleaning duty." Jessica walked in.

Jessica Jung was one of the famous students in their school. She's admired by both females and males. She was the biggest mystery their school has. The competition Tiffany sets between them is also known by all students. And they also know that Jessica doesn't really mind Tiffany's competency.

They started cleaning in silence until Taeyeon noticed that it was only the two of them.

"Aren't there suppose to be others?"

"Yes. But I asked them not to come." Taeyeon looked at Jessica, who was facing with her back against Taeyeon, on the other side of the room.

"I wanted it to be just the two of us." Jessica turned her head to see Taeyeon's face.

"Are you free tonight? Or do you already have plans?" There was something in Jessica's look that made anyone feel uncomfortable. But Taeyeon was a bit too oblivious to notice it right away.

"Well, it's my birthday so..."

"It can't be helped then. You could go now. Won't you be late for something?" Jessica went back to cleaning as Taeyeon moved the art supplies around. She looked at the time. It read '4:35'.

"Oh! You're right. Are you sure I can leave?" Taeyeon asked.

"Don't worry. I'll be finished soon."

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Taeyeon said as she bolted out, hurrying home. Jessica looked at the door with mild curiosity. She went out the room and checked the lock system of the room. She took out a checking device and plugged it on the lock.

'Device lock system security breached. 4 seconds.' It read.

"Interesting. I knew she was strange..." She said before going back in.

 

"Haa~ I manage to make it on time. I'm home." Taeyeon said as she entered the house. It was quiet and her mother and grandfather wasn't anywhere in view. She cautiously stepped in the house once. When she saw that it was nothing, she walked right in.

"I'm home!" But then the floor gave way. She managed to hold on the intact floor boards.

"Phew... That was close." She climbed back up. She paused and observed the floor. She managed to see translucent markings on the floor and there were holes along the walls of the hall.

"Motion sensors... I guess I'll have to bolt for it." She ran as fast as she could. Once her foot registered on the system, poles started coming out of the holes but luckily, she managed to avoid them. The last pole acted as a boost which she used to jump. As she met the next turn of the hall, she saw a banana peel on the ground where she was supposing to land.

"What the heck is that?!" She pushed herself by stepping on the wall and she passed it. She landed safely.

"What a birthday present this is..." She said as she walked casually. When she made one step, her instinct, once again, took control. She crouched down to avoid a blast of fire and once again bolted. Then a huge cement block appeared.

"Waa!" She shouted but she quickly turned her body so that her feet landed on the block instead of her face. She managed to run up to slip on the opening on top of the block. If she had jumped from the block, she'd go back to the fire blast. At last, she was met with the living room.

"Ah. It's finally..." She stopped as she looked at the door. She took a key out and used plastic to hold it. She felt a hindrance when the key touched the knob.

"High voltage." She looked up and there was a sign on top of the door. It said, 'Congratulations.' She peeled one side and she found the vector.

"Here we go." She turned managed to disconnect it and she entered the living room safely.

"I'm home." She was welcomed with an embrace from her mom.

"Oh! My Tae. You did it. You passed. My girl's all grown up."

"Good job, Taeyeon. Your training is finally complete. All these years of putting you through all of it seem just like yesterday." Her grandfather said as if tearing out of joy.

"You do it to me everyday though. Then, on my birthdays, they're usually combos like the one a while ago. And what's with the banana peel?"

"What banana peel?"

"There was a banana peel after the motion sensors."

"Oh? I probably left it there while I was setting the traps. The fire blast was hard to set up, you know." Her grandfather said. Taeyeon sighed. This was kind of a tiring way to spend your birthday but she doesn't mind. It's family after all.

"I'll be in my room if you need me." She walked towards the stairs to her room. Her mom and her grandfather looked at her back. They looked at each other.

 

Taeyeon placed her bag down her room. She plopped herself down on her bed. She looked at the ceiling. Why does she seem so tired? She rolled over so she was lying on her side.

"Maybe drawing something will take my mind of things?" She stood up as she made her way over to her desk. She opened the first side drawer to get two newly sharpened pencils, an eraser, and a sketchbook. She had no idea what to draw but her hands do.

She let her hands draw pictures, series of shapes, and lines of different tints and shades. A girl's face was coming together. A draft of the face and the hair wasn't finished. Taeyeon was getting tired but she pursued. She was a bit curious as to what or who she was drawing. After what seemed like hours but was only minutes, the drawing was complete. From the wonderfully drawn featured especially to the beautiful expressive eyes.

She looked straight into the eyes. Then she realized who it was she had drawn. It was...

She dropped her pencil on the floor. She looked one more time at the eyes of the sketch she had drawn. Her chest. It was hurting. It's as if it was burning.

"Hot..." She walked around her room to her bedroom window. She pushed it to open, the sunset's rays washing over the room. A gust of cool wind blew in and danced with the curtains. She started changing. Growing taller by several inches and her hair, no longer their usual brown, was black but shiny as the night sky. Her eyes, also unlike their kind brown ones, were confident crimson. She fell on her knees and in a few minutes, she recovered the pain. She looked at herself, rushed to a mirror, and...

 

"Ahh! MOM!" A scream echoed throughout the whole house. Two people in the living room stopped whatever they were doing. They were faced with a tall young man with a panicked look but they didn't seem perturbed at all.

"Mom! What is this?" The young man spoke. The woman beamed up from her seat and embraced her once-daughter.

"You look really handsome, my daughter!" She started shaking the young man.

"That's not the point."

"It's just right on time. It's exactly your 16th birthday." The man said, holding a watch as he watched the young man being shaken by his mother.

"Somebody please tell me what's going on? Why am I a boy? Was this the trouble you mentioned?" His mom stopped shaking him.

"He now exists in you. You must perform your role as him. As Taeng." Her grandfather said.

"What?"

"It's a genetic condition. It's in our family of Kims that the blood of the great Phantom Thief runs through. It skipped my generation but no doubt, he has appeared in yours." His mom told him. His grandfather approached him and gave him a change of clothes.

"Hurry up! Get dressed. We already sent the letter out."

"Wait! Are you telling me I have to go somewhere looking like this?! And the great phantom thief... I'm going to steal something?!" The young man panicked. His peculiar pet bunny, Dan, jumped onto his shoulders.

"Of course! You're going out tonight. Go to the SoShi Art Museum to steal the Maiden's Tiara."

"But I can't go out looking like this. Change me back!" He complained.

"That's impossible. You have to get the Maiden's Tiara first."

"So I have to get it first before I change back. Okay." He hurried out but was stopped shortly by his grandfather.

"Taeyeon... Take Dan with you. He can transform into Taeng's wings. Get ready because you have to be there by 11:00. Then, you have to have gotten the Maiden's Tiara by 11:30." Taeyeon started getting ready. The two grown-ups looked at each other once again in a bit of confusion.

"What do you think made her change?" Taeyeon's mother asked. Her father only shrugged.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know."

 

In front of the Soshi Museum, 10:57pm

"Here we are. In front of the Soshi Art Museum, waiting for the appearance of the legendary Phantom Thief Taeng. Will he really appear tonight and steal the Maiden's Tiara?" Head Reporter Kwon spoke in front of the camera, news live.

"Heh!’I'll steal the Maiden's Tiara by 11:30pm. -Phantom Thief Taeng.' Hah! I'd like to see him try." A man said as he holds a letter signed by the Phantom Thief.

"Inspector Lee, the sergeant is here." A cop informed him.

"No offense but she doesn't have to be here. We can handle this with the tight security." Inspector Lee proclaimed.

"There he is! That's the Phantom Thief, Taeng. And-" The people and the cameras focused on the appearance of the young man. Flying without suspension of any wires but relying magically on black wings, it was as if he was mocking the police.

"My! He doesn't seem older than seventeen or eighteen years old." This was being broadcast and in every house, they all knew about it.

One particular house had one bored teen. Sunny was just doing her homework while her dad was out when she got a call from Tiffany.

"Hello?" She answered with a slightly enthusiastic voice.

"What's with that tone? Anyway. Did you see the news?" Tiffany's voice was so loud that Sunny held her phone at arm's length and she could still it hear clearly.

"Your voice is too loud. And no, I'm not watching the news so I don't know." The line died and this confused Sunny. She looked at her phone for a moment before she heard banging on her window. She was in the second floor. Who could've climbed it was not a mystery though. Sunny made her way to her veranda window and opened it. She stepped back right away and Tiffany slipped in her room.

"You've got to see this." Tiffany said before turning her TV on and they watched together. They both saw the replayed footage. The Phantom Thief had just vanished from camera.

"What's with the sudden interest?" Sunny asked.

"I was thinking maybe you'll like him." Tiffany answered honestly. Of course, Taeng was handsome and cool, but Tiffany couldn't see herself with him.

"I don't like guys that steal." Tiffany had no answer to that... yet. Sunny continued doing her homework. Tiffany did, too. She brought her stuff from her house. She noticed that when Sunny was done, she positioned herself outside, lying down on a bed-like chair while enjoying the breeze. Tiffany thought that she'll be back in the room soon but when she heard clicking sounds, she realized that Sunny would just play with her DS.

 

In the Soshi Art Museum

"Where is he?! He can't get past me." Inspector Lee said as he observed around the area of the exhibit. The lights went off so he was cautious. A cop approached him.

"Sir. Taeng has been spotted at the entrance."

"What?! Not on my watch. Come on." Inspector Lee and the other guards left the cop alone in charge of the area. After they have left, the cop snapped his fingers and a window were revealed, letting in the moonlight and the Maiden's Tiara.

"Here we go." Taeyeon crouched down to the exhibit's lock system near the window, on the other side of the room from the doorway. He typed in on the device's keyboard and it released the lock. He took the Maiden's Tiara and places it in a box. He then secured the box in a satchel.

"Mission accomplished." He stood up but someone was on the doorway.

"I knew you're going to show up." Taeyeon turned to see Jessica Jung. He was shocked at her appearance.

‘Jessica?!’ Jessica tackled him and pushed him down.

"You can't escape from me now. I live only to capture you." Jessica said as she stared at him.

"Hm. You seem like someone I know." She said. Panic registered in Taeyeon at the thought of getting caught by her classmate. Then a voice spoke to her in her head.

'Nice one, Taeyeon. Let me take it from here.'

Jessica noticed the change in Taeng's expression. She was shocked when the darkness engulfed Taeng and next, he was now standing before her.

"Now... Sergeant Jung. Which of us..." The Taeng behind her started.

"Is the real Taeng?" The Taeng in front of her finished. Jessica looked behind her. When the Taeng she was looking at smirked, she immediately knew.

"Taeng!" She tried to lunge at him but Taeng was already able to escape with the art piece. She watched him fly away. A content smirk made its way on her face.

"Well. I suppose it won't be fun if I caught you right away."

 

Taeng freely and casually flew up the clear sky. He smiled at the accomplished mission and the fact that he's living again. He enjoyed the cool night breeze as he made his way home unseen. He flew over a large house. His eyes managed to see a young lady, lying outside. Her body was covered with a blanket, covering her from her feet up to her stomach. She had a device before her face so Taeng didn't see her face. However, Sunny's eyes got tired for a bit so paused her game and held the device away from her eyes. She rubbed them. Taeng saw her eyes.

"Huh?" Then pain.

'This pain!'  He clutched his chest at the pain. He was going to transform back to Taeyeon. And knowing that they'll be figured out if he landed on the girl's veranda, he decided to stop at another house's roof.

Tiffany stepped out to the veranda and called Sunny.

"You better rest inside now. You're eyes are tired. I'll stay here for a bit." Sunny nodded and walked in. Tiffany leaned on the railings of the veranda. Her eyes caught a glint of a shiny tint. There was someone on the roof. She focused her eyes and what she saw shocked her eyes.

"Kim... Taeyeon..." She tried looking better but once she averted her gaze to fix her vision, there was no one on the roof.

 

Taeyeon was down next to the house Taeng landed on. In her hands, she still held the satchel that carried the artifact.

"That was close... Oh. I changed back." Taeyeon smiled at the fact that she was back to herself. Her female self. Being a guy, no, turning into a guy was weird. She stood up from the hard pavement and stretched. Her back hurts. But she made her way back home in the darkness with no incident. Soon, she got home and entered the house.

 

A/N: Hey guys! Here's chapter 1. Did you like it? I was suppose to ask you guys to guess what anime I'm basing this on but someone beat me to it. Hehe. ^^ Oh! I just realized that I didn't describe their outfits. I'll do that better on the next one. ^^;

So, this is basically adapted from the anime DN Angel. It's a really nice anime. The manga is still ongoing, or so I've heard, but this is one of my favorites. In case you don't know, I often get story inspirations from my dreams and animes since I used to be a huge anime fan. Not so much anymore though. I can't draw the scenes so I write about them. Sometimes, the ideas are inspired by real life experiences while some are born basically in my head.

Anyway, credits to the wonderful people that metaphorically gave birth to this anime.

I'll change it in some sense because I still am an author so it won't entirely be based on the anime.

Thank you very much for the subscribers right away. And the comments from my readers. I appreciate them greatly. And was that an upvote I saw right away? Thank you @dowska for the vote. ^^

Oh, DP stands for Dual Persona. Should I change that? To make the title more appealing? >_<

Could anyone guess where I got Saekgeu from?

Okay, I think this author's note is too long. See you guys next time. ^-^v