Chapter 21- "Promise" is such a Heavy Word

Married...and Married AGAIN?!

Kyung Mi's POV

"Kyung Mi-ah!" 

I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard my name being called. I looked at where the voice was coming from, and saw Nichkhun oppa.

"H-huh? Nichkhun oppa? Why are you here?" I looked around, and saw that I was in the hospital. "Why am I here?"

Nichkhun oppa sighed in irritation as he went near me and dragged me from my seat. "Don't tell me you're sick, too? Are you having temporary amnesia?''

Oh, right. I just remembered something.

I came here early in the morning to look after Wooyoung for the whole day, and happened to see Nichkhun oppa. He volunteered to get some food from the nearby store, and I only waited for him. From then on, I was in a daze.

UGH. Blame Taemin for that.

After what he did last night, I couldn't sleep. I didn't know if he really meant it. I've been bothered about it since last night. Not only that, but memories from when we were in High School started to come inside my mind. 

Those were the memories I tried to seal, the memories I tried to erase.

But, they all came in again. 

Because of those stupid three words that I didn't want to hear from him again.

"Seriously, Kyung Mi. You've been spacing out since this morning. What happened?" Nichkhun oppa looked at me seriously as we stopped in front of Wooyoung's room. 

I shook my head and gave him a weak smile. "It's nothing. I must've been tired from my trip."

Nichkhun oppa gave me one last worried look before going inside Wooyoung's room.

"Youngie~!" I tried to sound as cheerful as possible and hugged Wooyoung. I gave him a peck on the cheek before settling down on the chair beside his bed.

Wooyoung looked weird. It was obvious that he was crying before we entered. He had an envelope on his left hand. His eyes were also damp. His smile wasn't that bright, either.

"Hyung! Thanks for coming again," he said as raised his hand up. Nichkhun oppa just snickered.

"Again? Are you irritated that your hyung is coming to visit you every other day?"

I just laughed at them. They looked like a bickering couple.

Nichkhun oppa put down the food on the table beside me. Soon, we were all talking about the latest music in the Kpop Industry. They let me know new girl groups, and also boy groups. They even called someone from B1A4 and let me talk to the one called Jin Young and Gongchan. They had the same blood type as me. Type A. They were very nice guys. They even asked for my number.

We also had a "love" talk about Victoria unnie and Nichkhun oppa. Nichkhun oppa, til now, couldn't say his real feelings to Victoria unnie even though they've been having dates for quite some time now. I laughed at how mushy he was with words.

But, he had to leave for his recording with Victoria unnie for today. He left us with some money (like we ever need) and stormed off. Now, Wooyoung and I were the only ones left in the room

Wooyoung took a Polaroid camera out from a bag (I don't know how he got it) and told me to pose with him. I gladly did, and leaned my head on his chest as I did so. He snapped a few times, and 4 pictures came out.

He looked at them one by one and kept them inside the envelope he was holding earlier. 

"Wooyoungie, what's inside that envelope?" I blew my cheeks like a blowfish for fun and stared at him. He sighed and pinched my cheeks. I just smiled at him.

He slowly took out the contents of the envelope. Pictures, small papers, tiny drawings, and others.

"These are our pictures when we were kids," he said as he spread out the pictures in front of me. I looked at them one by one.

How cute. Wooyoungie had those chubby cheeks when we were kids.

There were pictures of Wooyoung and I playing soccer with Taemin, also some pictures of us feeding each other, another had us walking around the park.

I got the handful of notes and papers from Wooyoung and started to read.

 

Wooyoung-ah, you're always going to be my best friend, right?

 

Of course. Why do you ask?

 

You'll always be the one supporting me, right?

 

Yes.

 

Then, if you're always going to be with me, let's get rings!

 

Isn't that for married ahjummas and ahjussis only?

 

Friendship rings are nice.

 

Ah, those ones? Okay.

 

"We never got to buy them, though." Wooyoung bowed his head and chuckled as if it were ridiculous. I couldn't see what he was implying here, so I just decided to read the others.

 

Woong-ah, you'll support me, right?

 

Didn't I tell you that already? Of course.

 

Forever and ever, Woongie?

 

Yeah, yeah.

 

Wooyoungie, I fell in love with someone.

 

Did you grow up already? Fell in love? Who?

 

Lee Taemin. But, it's hard, Woongie-ah. There's lots of girls surrounding him. I can only be his friend.

 

There was some unidentified scribbled writing, which confused me. I could tell that those were words, but it was....just scribbled like how a 3-year-old would.

 

Woongie-ah, I'm sorry. This is goodbye.

 

Why do you have to leave?

 

I don't know. 

 

Don't go, Kyung Mi.

 

I have to. I'll meet you again someday.

 

Kyung Mi, you have to know one thing before this day ends. This is our last class, and it's time for you to know.

 

What?

 

I love you.

 

...I know. I'm sorry.

 

Yep. I still remember this note quite clearly. It was the first time Wooyoung confessed, but I knew him too well. I knew his feelings even before he confessed.

I slowly looked up to Wooyoung. I was surprised because he was also looking at me, with that painful expression in his eyes.

"Come here, Kyung Mi."

I stood up and went nearer to Wooyoung. He grabbed me and hugged me really tightly. I leaned on his shoulder and decided to hug him back. Maybe Wooyoung was really lonely inside the hospital.

"Kyung Mi... You know that I love you, right?" He whispered into my ear.

I smiled to myself and nodded. Of course I love Wooyoung. If I didn't, I shouldn't be with him right now.

His hands went to my chest(NOT THAT...) and stopped on the spot where my heart is. "You don't realize it, but your heart says otherwise."

I paused a bit. What was he saying? What I knew was I love him. What was he implying?

"Woongie-ah..." I murmured under my breath. Woong was his personal nickname. He told me only I could call him that.

"Kyung Mi, you'll never leave me, right?"

"Yep. That's because I love you."

He pushed me away a bit and stared at me. His gaze was full of pain.

What was going on?

"Kyung Mi, you still love him. You still do. I know that."

I stared at him, wide-eyed. No, I didn't. 

Yes, you do.

Shut up.

He smiled weakly at me. ''You see? I know you too well."

"Woong-ah. I don't."

"Don't try to deny it, Kyung Mi. Please." He looked away for a second. "But, Kyung Mi..."

Wooyoung held my hand tightly. I looked at him, and saw tears streaming down his face silently.

He looked so lifeless in this state.

"Promise me that you'll always be with me. You'll always stay with me... even if your heart isn't with me."

I couldn't get why Wooyoung was being so sad.

I mean...if I do what I promised him... wouldn't it hurt him?

I mean, it's like locking down a person to you who doesn't even like or love you.

But, Wooyoung loves me so much. I know that fact.

I can't bear seeing Wooyoung like this. 

It hurts me to see him like this.

Who wouldn't get hurt if your boyfriend is telling you things like these?

It makes me sound...like a betrayer.

Someone who'll break his trust.

Yet he still loves me like this.

He's predicting what might happen in the future. He's telling me that I will go to another guy, and leave him.

Yet he still loves me.

This guy... Aish. I don't know what to do.

But, I just can't leave Wooyoung like this.

I let out a deep breath, before pulling Wooyoung into a hug.

"I promise."

Those words were too heavy, yet I have already said it.

It's something I can't break.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

"Eomma, you want me to come home?" I said lightly. I was inside the dorm now.

"Yes. You're going to study Business Management in the U.S. for a year and take over your aunt's company. You're going on Thursday next week."

"Mwo? Why is it so sudden?" This only aunt of mine treated me as her daughter. Now, she's passing her company to me? I do understand that she's already old and childless, but... It's too sudden!

"Please, Kyung Mi."

"Arasso. But, how about my singing career?"

"Call YG-ssi. I heard from him that you can work and train under Will.I.Am-ssi when you're there."

Mom suddenly cut the phone line.

I threw myself on the bed.

I'm going to America...?