Six

Chocolate

 

New Year’s Eve was approaching and Kyungsoo was still dateless. Sehun had gone out on his date with Luhan and everything had magically worked out between them so they’re dating now. Sehun’s job at the café with Kyungsoo was also working out good. Luhan would come over every evening to pick Sehun up for a night out. He would also throw some insanely inappropriate winks at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo still had no idea what Sehun saw in that guy.

 

Every New Year, Kyungsoo would celebrate it alone in his apartment with a big old cup of steaming hot chocolate. Before the clock strikes twelve, he would stand beside the window and stare at the bustling city. The countdown would begin and once the clock strikes twelve, colourful fireworks would go up in every corner of the sky. He would stand there and admire them while peacefully sipping his drink.

 

This year was different, though. Sehun had invited him to a New Year’s Eve party at Luhan’s place. He was reluctant to go at first but Sehun had somehow convinced him. He was told to bring a date and that was a problem. He hadn’t met any one new after meeting Sehun and Luhan.

 

Kyungsoo was desperately searching for a date. He even called up some of his old partners and asked them to go to the party with him but all of them wished him well and said that they already have their own plans.

 

After work one evening, he decided to go to the park and sit on the usual bench. He was on the verge of giving up. He buried his face in his hands and pulled his hair in frustration. Kyungsoo felt someone sit next to him on the bench and he didn’t even bother to look up.

 

He felt the other person sigh and lean back on to the bench. Kyungsoo removed his face from his hands and looked up at the person. It was a man with a mop of messy brown hair and big brown eyes hidden behind a pair of framed spectacles. The man’s face held an unreadable expression as he stared back at Kyungsoo.

 

“Hi,” Kyungsoo eventually said, breaking the staring contest.

 

“Hello,” the strange man sighed.

 

“So, what brings you here tonight?” Kyungsoo didn’t usually initiate conversations with strangers but he felt like he needed this.

 

“I…I just had a tough day at school, you know? I ran into my girlfriend and my roommate, who also happens to be my best friend, . On top of each other, doing god knows what.” He said bitterly with a sad smile.

 

“Oh, that’s horrible…” Kyungsoo said as memories of an old relationship very similar to the man’s came flooding back, “I know how you feel. During my last year of high school, I had a girlfriend at that time. I never had with her because I didn’t want to pressure her and all but, I went to her house one day and saw her ing another guy on her bedroom floor.”

 

The man shook his head and scoffed, “Girls. They can never be trusted.”

 

“I agree,” Kyungsoo said with a small smile, “Hey…I’m Kyungsoo, what’s your name?”

 

“Oh! How can I forget to introduce myself?” the man knocked himself on the head, “My name’s Park Chanyeol.” He extended an arm, which Kyungsoo gladly shook.

 

“Nice to meet you, Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“Nice to meet you too, Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol finally broke into a big smile which showed off all his pearly white teeth. “So, what do you do? Do you go to college?”

 

“Yup, I don’t live in the college dorms, though. I rented a small apartment by myself so I actually have a part-time job at a café.” Kyungsoo explained, “What about yourself?”

 

“I’m also a college student...but, I don’t have a job so all I do is just play games and hang out with my girlfriend and roommate but after today, I don’t even know what I’m going to do. Who I’m going to hang out with. I don’t even know if I want to go home tonight…” he sighed as his eyes slowly filled up with tears.

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and thought about Sehun. Ever since Sehun got together with Luhan, they barely hung out anymore. Sure, they work at the same place but all Sehun ever talked about was Luhan, Luhan and, more Luhan.

 

“You can hang out with me now…” Kyungsoo quietly suggested.

 

Chanyeol’s head immediately snapped to look at Kyungsoo, “You wanna hang out with…me?” Kyungsoo nodded. “But, why? I’m so…weird and awkward… usually when I meet new people, they can’t wait to get away from me…” he confessed.

 

“I think the real question is would you want to hang out with me? My own mother calls me weird. I’m pretty sure we can get along well.” Kyungsoo laughed half-heartedly.

 

Chanyeol beamed at Kyungsoo and clapped his hands excitedly, making Kyungsoo chuckle. “So, does this mean that we’re friends now?”

 

“Yeah, friends,” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

They continued talking through the night. Kyungsoo found out that Chanyeol has a certain obsession with bacon and Chanyeol discovered Kyungsoo’s undying love for chocolate. They talked about their past, the present and what they would like to do in the future. The two surprisingly got along very well and they laughed at each others’ jokes so loudly that people who lived nearby would shout at them to shut up through their windows.

 

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo exchanged phone numbers and promised to hang out some other time. Kyungsoo smiled to himself as he walked home. He was already able to tell what kind of chocolate Chanyeol is. Kyungsoo thought of him as a Mars bar. Not because he looks like an alien, which he kinda does to Kyungsoo but, Mars bars made Kyungsoo happy and Chanyeol definitely made him happy. Even in such a small amount of time. He happily tucked himself into bed and drifted off to dreamland in a couple seconds.

 

Chanyeol was also happy that he had met Kyungsoo earlier. He took his time and walked back slowly to his dormitory. He hoped that his roommate would already be asleep by the time he gets back so he doesn’t have to face him. He could have and should have just punched his roommate in the face for ing his girlfriend but he was just too nice to do that.

 

Chanyeol walked to his room and peeked under the door to see if the lights were still on. They weren’t. He breathed a sigh of relief, took out his keys and unlocked the door. He stumbled in the room awkwardly and took off his shoes.

 

“Chnayeol!” he heard a small, frail voice say. Chanyeol dropped his keys and let out a shriek. He dashed to the corner and hid himself. That voice had obviously scared him. The lights came on and the voice said again, “Relax, Chanyeol. It’s just me… you can open your eyes now…”

 

Chanyeol slowly opened his eyes and saw his roommate slash best friend staring right at him, with puffy bloodshot eyes and guilty was written all over his face. Chanyeol scoffed and stood up. He should’ve known it was him. He walked past him but got pulled back.

 

“I’m so sorry, Channie! Please, forgive her and me, please. I know how much she means to you and how much you mean to her, please. If you don’t want to forgive me I would understand but please, forgive her…” his roommate said.

 

“Don’t call me Channie,” he growled, “If you know how much she means to me then why did you do it?” Chanyeol screamed. “IF I MEAN SO MUCH TO HER WHY WOULD SHE CHEAT ON ME?! I am so done with both of you.”

 

“But, Chann-Chanyeol…I can explain….”

 

“Explain what? That you just suddenly fell in love with my girlfriend and decided to have with her? I mean, at least have the decency to do it somewhere private and NOT at school!”

 

“But it wasn’t my fault! She seduced me!”

 

“Oh, so you’re blaming her now? I can’t believe the both of you. Just tell me the truth. How long have you guys been doing this? Whatever this is?”

 

His roommate looked at the ground, unable to bring himself to look Chanyeol in the eye and said, “For about four months now…”

 

“Four months? Are you ing kidding me right now?”

 

“I said I’m sorry and I can explain!” his roommate cried. Tears were now streaming down the both of their faces uncontrollably.

 

“There’s nothing else to explain. I understand exactly what you guys were doing now. Good night, Baekhyun.”

 


 

Author's note : Chanyeol and Baekhyun appear! And Baekhyun is sleeping with Chanyeol's girlfriend lul >_<

 

thanks for reading, everyone! Happy holidays!

 

Don't forget to comment and subscribe :D