Twenty-three

Chocolate

After Kyungsoo's dramatic exit from Chanyeol's life, Chanyeol felt like nothing. He tried to pretend that it did not matter and he didn't actually need Kyungsoo in his life but it was no lie that he secretly yearned for him to come back. Few weeks have passed by and there was still no sign of Jongin's consciousness.

 

Chanyeol would drop by the hospital every day during the evenings and stay until the next morning. Then, he would leave to check up on his apartment and run a couple of errands. Sometimes, he would even forget to eat because he was too engulfed in his own sadness. He already lost a few pounds in the short period of time. The stubble on his face was rough and his hair was wild and unkempt.

 

Just like any other evening, Chanyeol headed over to the hospital and went over to Jongin's room. The hospital had actually given Jongin an individual room due to his extended stay. Chanyeol pushed open the door and dropped his bag onto the ground. He walked over to Jongin's bed and checked on him. 

 

Hot tears prickled in Chanyeol's large eyes. He held back a sob as he examined Jongin's face. So much has changed since that fateful day when Jongin tried to take his own life. Jongin's hair had outgrown and his cheeks were even more sunken in than they were before. His whole body just looked weak. Chanyeol pulled a chair near the bed and sat down. He started recounting his day to him because there was a small part of him that hoped it would make Jongin feel better. But the real reason why he did that was because he felt lonely. He had no one to talk to, even his neighbours ignored him daily. Jongin was the only person that he could speak to now; even if he could not reply him.

 

After telling Jongin all about his day, Chanyeol felt exhausted. Physically and emotionally. He leaned against the chair and closed his eyes.

 

Jongin's eyelids fluttered open. The room was extremely bright. He squinted his eyes to adjust to the surroundings. His whole body felt sore and limp. He could not even summon enough energy to sit up right. He stared up at the unfamiliar white ceiling. He heard some sort of machine beeping constantly. He tried to look for the source of that sound but he could not even turn his head sideways, everything was just too painful. His throat felt terribly dry as if he has not drunk any water in an entire decade.

 

He opened his mouth and tried to speak but nothing came out at all. Instead, the cold air entered his mouth and instantly made his tongue dry. He choked on his own saliva and coughed violently. His chest burned as the phlegm came out of his throat. Chanyeol's eyes snapped open when he heard Jongin coughing. He literally jumped out of his chair and went over to Jongin's bed.

 

To see Jongin awake with his eyes open was such a miracle to Chanyeol. A big grin broke out on his face as he stared at Jongin coughing his guts out. "Oh!" Chanyeol suddenly realized, "Do you need water or something?" he asked Jongin, realizing how stupid that question actually sounded.

 

Jongin nodded his head violently and Chanyeol ran over to his bag to grab his water bottle that he carried around every day. He grabbed the plastic cup on the bedside table and poured water into it. Being the clumsy person that he is, he did not fail to spill about three quarters of the water out due to his shakey hands. He helped Jongin sit up and brought the cup to his lips. Jongin downed the water and stopped coughing. He felt much better and begged for more water immediately. Chanyeol poured more water into the cup, this time more careful and only spilling a quarter of the drink.

 

Jongin gulped down the water like a thirsty wild animal. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand after he finished and handed the plastic cup back to Chanyeol. "Dude... are you like... okay or something?" Chanyeol asked.

 

Jongin shook his head slightly and looked at Chanyeol. "I don't know..." Jongin managed to croack, with his throat feeling a little less... Burning, "I don't remember what I'm doing here. How did I get here? Where am I even? And what's up with these white things around my wrists?"

 

"You don't recall anything?" Chanyeol asked, his eyes large and hoping that Jongin had lost all his memories involved with Kyungsoo.

 

"I'm not quite sure... my head is really pounding and I felt like I haven't eaten in months. Dude! My stomach is growling... What the hell is going on? I'm so confused. Dammit," Jongin cursed.

 

"Well... technically you haven't eaten in weeks, not months. But that's not the point, you're awake now so everything's good," Chanyeol said happily, "Oh! That means I need to call the doctor over to tell him that you woke up!"

 

"Haven't eaten in weeks? What the hell? How did I even survive? What do you mean I woke up? What doctor? What the hell is going on Chanyeol? Is this some kind of April's fool joke? 'Cause I don't remember it being April anymore," Jongin said angrily.

 

"Come on... how am I supposed to tell you what's going on when you don't even remember the fact that you got into a coma!" Chanyeol yelped before dashing out the door to get a doctor.

 

"Coma?" Jongin scratched his head curiously. Lifting his arm felt heavy because of the thick bandaging around his wrist. Jongin wanted to rip all the bandages off so badly just so he could see what happened to him. And because it felt so incredibly itchy. He looked around the empty room and did not see much things. All he saw were some hospital equipment and Chanyeol's things. 

 

By now, he had already figured it out that he was at a hospital. He wondered why, though. All he could recall was that he had a date at 8pm that night with a girl that he met at the club last week. He had no idea what was going on and also, Chanyeol looked like a wild caveman to him. He wondered if he looked the same as him. Jongin tried to get out of bed to go to the mirror at the end of the room to check himself out but before he could do so, the door burst open.

 

"Oh my gosh! This is a miracle! I thought he was never going to wake up!" The doctor exclaimed, with Chanyeol and a few nurses trailing behind him. "What are you trying to do, Jongin? Don't get out of bed, yet. I would have to run a few, actually a lot, of tests first. Calm down, don't be shocked. I know it's normal for a lot of patients to feel like all they want to do after a coma is just hop out of bed and get the groove goin' but no, you've got to go under a lot of examinations first."

 

"Get the groove going? What on earth are you talking about? I just want to go to that mirror so I can see how I look like now!" Jongin said.

 

"Ah, the egoistic kind who likes to get the groove goin' after they check themselves out, I see..." The doctor said, touching his own chin thoughtfully, "But you have to wait. Now, I'm going to have to inject you with this and it might hurt a little."

 

"Oh, god," Jongin shook his head.