Twenty-one

Chocolate

"What the ? Jongin!" Chanyeol screamed as he shook Jongin's helpless body back and forth. He got up from the ground and clumsily ran out the bathroom to get his phone. He dialed the ambulance number and screamed when someone answered his call, "OH MY GOD! YOU HAVE TO COME HERE! REALLY QUICK. My friend... he's... I don't know if he's dead or not but... please... come over..." Chanyeol sobbed.

 

"Sir, calm down. We will be there as soon as we can. I need you to tell me where you are," the receiver said. Chanyeol managed to choke out the apartment's address and shout a few times. His whole body was shivering with fear and tears were streaming down his face continuously. The ambulance arrived a few short minutes later, the parademics laid Jongin on a stretcher and took him away to the hospital. They didn't bring Chanyeol along because according to them, he was too unstable.

 

Chanyeol lay on the cold, hard ground after the parademics left. He sobbed into the carpet and pull his hair in frustration. He had no idea what to do. He got up from the ground several moments later and went to Jongin's room. He looked around and nothing seemed strange. Everything as still in place. Chanyeol headed to the bathroom and the water to rinse away all of Jongin's blood. He tried to think of all the possible reasons why Jongin would try to kill himself but nothing surfaced. Until he remembered a certain person, Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol threw aside the mop he was holding angrily and fished out his phone from his pocket. He called Kyungsoo but there was no answer. It kept ringing and ringing. Chanyeol ended the call angrily and stepped out of the apartment. He hailed a cab and headed to the hospital. He needed to know if Jongin was fine or not.

 

"Where's Kim Jongin?" Chanyeol asked the nurse at the counter when he got to the hospital.

 

The nurse looked at Chanyeol and typed in something on the computer. "He's in the intensive care unit, fifth floor, once you get in, turn to the left and you'll find him."

 

"Thank you," Chanyeol said and rushed to the elevator. He pressed on the button and leaned against the wall, trying to calm himself. His hands were fidgeting inside his pockets and his whole face was pale. Although it took only a few seconds for the elevator to get to the fifth floor, it felt like eons to Chanyeol. He walked quickly to the door which said "ICU" on it and opened it. The white walls and floor blinded him for a second. He blinked his eyes and saw Jongin lying on the bed around the corner.

 

"Jongin!" Chanyeol exclaimed as he rushed over to his bed.

 

"Quiet!" A doctor hissed at Chanyeol, "He's in a very critical condition right now. He needs as much rest as he can get. We need you to be quiet and don't come too close to him."

 

Chanyeol nodded and backed away from Jongin's bed a bit. Jongin's eyes were closed and his face was pale as well. His hands and wrists were bandaged heavily. It was a painful sight. "H... how is he..." Chanyeol whispered, close to spilling even more tears.

 

The doctor motioned for Chanyeol to go outside and he did. "Before I tell you any details, may I know who you are first? Are you related to him? Brother, maybe?" the doctor asked Chanyeol.

 

"I'm his bestfriend and roommate," Chanyeol replied.

 

"Ah, I see..." the doctor said, "Well, your friend Jongin certainly lost a lot of blood from this suicide attempt. He still hasn't gained consciousness. In a few days he will hopefully recover but, he would need a lot of help after that. We cannot just left him out of the hospital like that. He needs to see a psychiatrist and he probably needs to take some anti-depressants."

 

"But... how can he be depressed? He's never been like this before!" Chanyeol cried.

 

"You never know," the doctor said, "Nowadays, people are usually too caught up in their own situations and lives that they don't notice the little changes in the people closest to them."

 

"Oh my god," Chanyeol cried again, "I can't believe I didn't see it coming. It's all my fault! I could've helped him so much! If only I never introduced him to Kyungsoo..."

 

"It's going to be fine," the doctor reassured him, "You don't need to blame yourself for anything. It is not your fault."

 

"Yeah, damn right it isn't my fault. It's that er Kyungsoo's fault!" Chanyeol hissed.

 

"I'm sorry but, who is this Kyungsoo person?" The doctor raised her eyebrows.

 

"ing Do Kyungsoo. Some random I met. I thought we were friends. He said he wanted to meet someone so I introduced him to Jongin. Jongin was ing obsessed with Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo actually returned his feelings. But then a few days ago, he had to go and bull everything up! He totally told Jongin that he didn't want to be with him anymore! Jongin must've been so hurt..." Chanyeol said.

 

"Do Kyungsoo?" the doctor cocked her head to the side and thought for a while, "Does he have really fair skin and big eyes?"

 

"Yeah..." Chanyeol said, "Do you know him or something?"

 

"Actually, he's my nephew. I haven't seen or heard from him in years!"

 

"Well, you certainly aren't going to be seeing him soon considering the fact that he's such an ," Chanyeol cursed.

 

"Don't speak like that," the doctor said, "Maybe you should give him a call right now, tell him about Jongin. See what he thinks. If he sees the good in himself, he will come over and visit Jongin. If he doesn't, let's just leave it at that."

 

Chanyeol gulped, no matter how much he didn't want to do it, she was right. He took out his phone and dialed Kyungsoo's number again and this time, he actually picked up.

 

"What do you want now?" Kyungsoo said in an annoyed tone, "I'm just about to go out with a hot girl. I don't wanna waste any of my precious time on you."

 

"This is all your fault," Chanyeol hissed through the phone, "If you hadn't left Jongin in the dark, none of this would have happened. You're such a monster, I can't believe you're still going to go out with other people. Where is your sanity?"

 

"What the hell are you talking about? Jongin is just a stupid kid. He doesn't know what the real world is. And I thought he wouldn't mind since he has so much dating history before. But apparently not..." Kyungsoo replied.

 

"Jongin is in the hospital because of you. He almost died," Chanyeol said.

 

"Wait... hold up a sec... is this some kind of a joke to get me to crawl back to him or something like that?" Kyungsoo asked, "What the hell did he do to get into the hospital?"

 

"He tried to kill himself, because of you. He's in a coma now because of you," Chanyeol choked on the tears forming, "Do you know how terrible that is? I don't even think I want you to come and visit. Forget that I even called you. Just enjoy your stupid date or whatever. Good bye." Chanyeol hung up the phone and shoved it in his pocket angrily.

 

A few hours passed by uneventfully. Jongin was still unconscious and Chanyeol was asked to wait outside because the medical team has to perform several more tests on Jongin.

 

The ward door suddenly burst open and revealed a rather disheveled looking Kyungsoo. "Where's jongin?" He asked, his breath ragged.

 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Chanyeol asked. He was shocked that Kyungsoo actually had the guts to show up uninvited.

 

"I'm here to see jongin, of course. Where is he?" Kyungsoo replied.

 

"I thought I told you that you're not wanted. I'm pretty sure Jongin doesn't wanna see you either," Chanyeol retorted.

 

"But Chanyeol! You have to let me see him. I changed my mind about everything! I came to the realisation that I really like Jongin. I was just lying to myself and everyone else about that, please. Let me see him," Kyungsoo begged with sad eyes.

 

"Yeah, right. Every single thing that comes out of your mouth is all bull. Don't expect me or anyone else to believe you. I've had enough of your nonesense." 

 

"I'm telling you the truth here! I totally ditched my date and came over here. Why can't you hear me out?" Kyungsoo said.

 

"If you really cared about jongin, you wouldn't have waited a few hours to come. You would've got in a cab the minute you got my phone call and went to the hospital. But no, you had to go out with somebody else AND THEN realise it." Chanyeol yelled out, hot angry years started to form in his eyes once again.

 

"But- I-" 

 

"Just get the hell out of here," Chanyeol shoved Kyungsoo's body and earned himself a punch straight in the face.