16. Changmi?

I Like You The Best

 

Jaeni held tightly on Yunji’s arm as the two made their way through the spacious, and yet bustling corridor of the broadcasting building they were in. Producers and stage managers were moving back and forth, trying to get everything in order, calling out to staff members and making sure things were going smoothly. Assistants were running around, carrying out requests of celebrities they worked for.

“Are you sure it’s alright for us to be here?” Yunji asked, stepping aside after almost being knocked over by a man pushing a cart of stage props.

Jaeni nodded, taking out her phone. “Hyunseung oppa invited us, and so I’m sure it’s okay. We just need to find them before security pulls us out.” She noticed that everyone walking inside was wearing some sort of ID. She sent Hyunseung a message. A few minutes later, Hyunseung, and Junhyung came out, clad in their stage outfits.

“Oppa!” Jaeni waved from where she was standing, and the three boys made their way to them.

“You came!” Hyunseung said with a bright smile, going straight to Jaeni, but stopped when Junhyung overtook him and stood in between him and Jaeni.

“Here,” Junhyung handed two IDs to his sister. “Are backstage passes, wear them so security don’t ask you to leave. This also means you can sit anywhere on the first four rows later, okay?”

Jaeni was nodding her head vigorously, slipping the ID lace around her neck and handing the other to Yunji, who also put it on. “Okay, oppa!”

Kikwang emerged out of the dressing room and walked up to Yunji the moment he saw her. He smiled and waved, but was greeted by a frown. “You still haven’t fixed this whole mess yet!” Yunji said with a silent shout, hitting Kikwang’s chest. “I almost got attacked by one of your fans at school yesterday!”  She said, talking about the day before, when a fan had approached her in the cafeteria, shouting at her for supposedly stealing Kikwang.

“I’m getting Joonkun hyung to talk to the media people, okay?” Kikwang rubbed at his chest. “Let’s just hope this scandal gets cleared.”

“You two better get going to the audience, I think the show’s about to start soon.” Junhyung said. “I’ll accompany you.”

“I’ll come with.” Hyunseung spoke up. Junhyung glanced at him from the corner of his eyes, but didn’t protest. The three made their way along the hall.

“So, oppa what are you two going to perform today?” Jaeni asked, walking beside Hyunseung. “Soom? Shock? Or like, some sort of medley?” She looked up at Hyunseung, clutching a sign she had made for him in her arms.

Hyunseung could feel both Jaeni and Junhyung’s eyes on him. He cleared his throat. “Just a couple of songs.” he said tonelessly, his eyes focused on the direction they were going.

“I see…” Jaeni nodded slowly. “Are other artists going to perform today, too? I mean, of course they are! It’s a special stage after all. Are the SuJu oppas going to perform today too?” Hyunseung only gave a shrug as a reply. Junhyung continued to walk silently as well.

“I hope you perform I Like You Best again.” Jaeni tried her best to keep the conversation going. “You only performed that song once, right? But it was really cute! The dance, and the melody. I haven’t learned it yet, it looked so hard.”

“The dance isn’t that complicated.” He pointed to a door at the end of the hallway. “Just go through there and you’ll see the audience. Find a good spot, okay?” He said before turning to go. Junhyung gave his little sister a pat on the head.

“We still need to have our hair done, so, I’ll see you after the show.”

Jaeni nodded, then frowned as both Hyunseung and Junhyung left, honestly confused. Hyunseung eagerly invited her to watch them peform, and it now seemed that he was giving her some sort of cold-shoulder treatment. “Pre-show jitters?” She muttered to herself. She looked around and found Yunji nowhere near her. She sent her friend a text, telling her she’d find seats and reserve her a spot, and to just look for her, before stepping out into the audience area.

 

Yunji and Kikwang were left behind, still back over near the dressing rooms, still talking about the whole commotion that broke between them a few days before. “This is seriously not funny anymore. It’s annoying.” Yunji said with a frown. Kikwang held her arm and starting walking.

“You’ll be late for the show and I’m not done getting my make up done.” Kikwang said, leading the way. Yunji shook off her arm from Kikwang’s grasp.

“Yah, Kikwang, that’s not going to help you. I think we should just ignore each other for the next few days.” Yunji began walking a few steps ahead. “It’s not like we talk on a regular basis everyday anyway, right? So it’s not so much of a big deal.”

Kikwang opened his mouth to respond, but was distracted when a few of his seniors stepped out of their dressing room. Yunji didn’t notice Kiwkang stop walking and continued making her way to the door. It was only when she heard Kikwang greet someone that she stopped.

“Yonghwa hyung!”

“Kikwang ah.” The leader and vocalist of group CN Blue greeted back, patting Kikwang on the back. “Performing today too, right?” Kikwang nodded in response.

Yunji found her feet frozen to the floor, her heart racing. If Yonghwa had just come out, it could only mean that the rest of the members were present too.

“So I heard you were involved in a scandal.” Yonghwa said with a small grin, motioning his head over to Yunji’s direction. “Is that her?” Yunji felt eyes staring at her and began slowly walking away again.

Kikwang looked over at Yunji. “N-no, hyung. Ah.” He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. “That whole scandal was a big misunderstanding! You see, we’re actually…”

“Scandal, what scandal?” Yonghwa’s fellow bandmate, Jonghyun came out, guitar in hand. “The Lee Kikwang scandal? I haven’t heard the name of the girl yet, is she an idol too? Who’s the lucky girl, Kwang ah?” He looked over to Yunji’s direction. “That her?”

“No, no, no no no!” Kikwang replied, eyes wide. “There’s no girlfriend, it’s a misunderstanding! But I better get going, have to accompany my…friend over to the audience and finish getting ready.” He bowed politely to Yonghwa and Jonghyun and caught up with Yunji.

Jonghyun’s eyes were fixed on Yunji’s back. He frowned a bit, his mind trying to decipher the familiar figure. Yunji glanced over her shoulder, and seeing Jonghyun’s eyes on her, stopped walking. She tore her eyes away, and her head was spinning. She felt Kikwang walk up beside her.

She heard footsteps, and she knew he was walking towards her. She was screaming in her mind for her feet to move, but they refused to listen. She heard his velvet voice, and her legs felt like jelly. Hesitantly, and squeezing out as much will power are she could, she started walking again.

“Changmi?”