04. Is This Seat Taken?

I Like You The Best

 

[Author's Note: Not my best chapter, it was kind of rushed and I didn't have much inspiration to write when I did this. Just wanted to introduce the other OC.]

 

---

 

It was quite a special day for Konkuk University. It was a day when yet another celebrity had enrolled in their campus, and would, although late, begin his semester. Adding to the list of SHINee’s Minho, and 4Minute’s Hyuna, was Dongwoon. 

Yunji entered the school premises, surprised to see a huge group of girls crowded in front of the building where she had her first class that day. The girls were screaming, flailing their arms and jumping around, waving huge sign boards and posters.

Only 동 운 ♥

비스트 사랑해!

동운 오빠!! ^^

“What’s all this about?” Yunji asked as her closest friend in class, Choi Jieun, walked up to her side. Her eyes stayed glued to the crowd, she was sort of amused.

“You didn’t hear?” Jieun glanced at Yunji, shocked that she had no idea. Yunji shook her head.

“Son Dongwoon. You know, that member from Beast?” Jieun explained. “He’s starting his class here today.”

“Ohhh. I think I heard that from somewhere. But why now? It’s the middle of the semester, and it won’t be long until the holiday break. It’ll be, what, like, 5 days before class ends?”

Jieun shrugged. “No idea.”

The two managed to squirm through the girls blocking the entrance and made their way inside. Yunji sighed to herself, she wasn’t a big fan of crowds, especially not noisy ones. “That.,” Yunji straightened out her hair with her fingers, “Was crazy.”

“I know, right?” Jieun agreed completely. “You can’t really blame them though. I mean, it’s Beast! Those guys are really becoming a big, big thing right now.”

“I’ve heard of them, but I’m not a fan.” Yunji slid open the classroom door. “I’ll see you at lunch?”

“Ah, I forgot to tell you!” Jieun lightly tapped her forehead. “I have this committee meeting later, sorry, Yunji!” She said apologetically.

“Ani.” Yunji smiled, “It’s okay. I’ll just go get some reading done in the library. See you!” Yunji stepped in the classroom and took her usual seat, third row, right beside the window. She peeked out and saw that the crowd was still there, and they seemed to get even rowdier when a black, tinted van stopped in front of the building.

The car door swung open and the intensity of the girls’ screams surprised Yunji. She was four floors higher, but still heard the shouts and cheers as loud as if she were down there. She shook her head, putting on her earphones and drowning out the noise.

 

Yunji had been, to say the least, frustrated the whole morning. This Dongwoon, this local celebrity that had enrolled at Konkuk shared most of her classes, which meant that most of her classes that morning involved a lot of screaming girls.  Yunji’s head hurt, and she was relieved that it was already lunchtime. After having had only a sandwich to eat, she decided to retreat to the silence that the library had to offer.

The History section had always been the least visited section. The only books present there were ancient ones, ones that would crumble to the touch. Students barely went to that part of the library.

She set her things down on the spot she usually took, a table at the far end of the floor, and sat down, taking out some books. It would be the perfect time to finish on her readings for Literature class. Yunji looked around. There were only a handful of people there, and most of them were asleep. The librarian of the floor didn’t seem to mind, as long as the students were quiet.

She was reading through their required readings, occasionally nibbling on the tip of her pen, when she heard a soft voice across from her.

“Is this seat taken?”

Yunji didn’t bother to look up, she continued reading, immersed in her studying ,until the voice spoke again.

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

She eventually looked up to see Dongwoon, the new student, the cause of all the screams that morning. “Pardon?”

“This seat.” He motioned to the seat on the other side of the table. “Is it taken?” Yunji looked around. Tens of tables were vacant; she didn’t quite understand why he would choose to sit with her. Not wanting to be rude, she motioned to the chair, signaling that it was available. With a smile, Dongwoon sat down. “Thanks.”

She nodded, going back to her reading.

“I… I’m Dongwoon.” He said suddenly.

Yunji didn’t look up this time, and she only nodded. “I know.” She muttered.

“Oh, you’re a fan of Beast?” He grinned, though honestly not surprised she knew who he was. His smile disappeared when Yunji shook her head.

“I’m not into the whole music industry.” She replied. She set her papers down and looked at the guy in front of her. “Why’d you sit here?” She asked, all of a sudden intrigued.

Dongwoon chuckled and shrugged. “I guess I didn’t want to sit alone. I’m actually trying to hide from people.”

“From the screaming girls?” Yunji asked. “They have been following you around all day.”

“You’ve noticed?”

“How could I not? It’s not like they’re the quietest things in the world.” Yunji giggled slightly. “It’s annoying, really.”

Dongwoon laughed along. “It’s actually quite flattering, for me, at least. It’s nice to know we have so many fans.”

“From a third person perspective, it’s just noisy!”

The two shared a good laugh. “You never told me your name.” Dongwoon said.

“I haven’t? I’m sorry. I’m Yunji. Park Yunji.” She held out a hand. Dongwoon reached over and shook it. “We share a lot of classes, you know.” She added. “Are you majoring in Film too?”

Dongwoon nodded. “You are too? Cool.” He released her hand. “So, not a big fan of pop music, huh?”

“Not a fan.” Yunji quickly said, as if dismissing the topic. Dongwoon didn’t probe any further. The rest of the lunchtime was spent in silence, Yunji finishing her readings, and Dongwoon bringing up small talk every so often.