03. This Was One Heck Of A Birthday

I Like You The Best

 

“They kind of do look alike.” Hyunseung said, intently staring at Jaeni. “If you look closely, it’s like the have the same eyes, or something.”Jaeni could only look down, averting her eyes from Hyunseung.

“Hyunseung hyung, it’s rude to stare!” Yoseob said, “I think you’re making her uncomfortable!”

“Oh, sorry!” Hyunseung apologized, his head bowing curtly. “I’m still curious why Junhyung never mentioned you before.”

“I don’t know either.” Jaeni shrugged.

“So, Jaeni ah,” Dongwoon began, “Do you like Beast?” Jaeni gave shy laugh before nodding.“Oh.” Dongwoon seemed pleased at her answer, “Who do you like most?”

All pairs of eyes focused on Jaeni.“Ummmm.” Jaeni started blushing, “I like Junhyung oppa coz he’s my brother.”

“Doesn’t count!” Kikwang rebutted.

“I like, ummm.” Jaeni started fiddling the hemline of her shirt, avoiding the staring eyes of the curious idols.

“She likes Hyunseung.” Junhyung said casually walking back to the living room, drying his hair with a towel.

“OPPA!” Jaeni exclaimed, her face turning beet red. The other members turned their eyes on Hyunseung, who looked just as surprised as Jaeni.

“Me?” Hyunseung pointed to himself.

“But I didn’t say-“ Jaeni was trying to find her words, throwing a death glare at her brother for bluntly revealing her secret.

“Yes you did say.” Junhyung plopped down on the floor, “You say so every time you call.” He draped his towel on his shoulder, “How’s Hyunseung oppa? What’s Hyunseung oppa doing? What does Hyunseung oppa like?” Junhyung said mockingly, imitating his sister’s voice.

“YAHH!” Jaeni screamed, the pitch of her sudden outburst surprising even herself.

“Admit it, you visited here for Seungie.” Junhyung pointed at his fellow member, smirking, “You care about him more than you do your own brother.” There seemed to be a trace of bitterness in his voice.

“M-mwo?” Jaeni’s face froze, and she began to stutter. “I… You… I can’t believe you would say such a thing!” She stood up instantly, stuffed her feet into her shoes, and ran out the door, barely even stopping to tie her shoelaces.

“Aiiish!” Junhyung gruntled, getting up as well. The other members continued to stare, unsure of how to react to Jaeni’s outburst and dramatic exit. “Jaeni ah! Wait up!”

Junhyung caught up to Jaeni just as she was about to get in the elevator. “Yah.” He quickly gripped her arm, surprised that she didn’t struggle. “Why are you like this?”

“Me?” Jaeni gave a mockingly shocked expression. “Why am I like this? Why are YOU like this?” She refused to look at him. “What did I do that made you hate me like this, huh? Are you ashamed of me because I support your group? Or because I like another member of your group?” She jerked her arm away from her brother’s grip.

“I don’t hate you, Jaeni ah.” Junhyung’s voice was calm now.

“So why are you being like this to me? You weren’t like this before.”

“Aigo.” He sighed, “I was just kidding, yah.”

“Well, it’s not funny, oppa.”

Junhyung gave another sigh, “Sorry.” He put his hand on his sister’s head, slightly ruffling her hair. “Sorry, really. I’ll make it up to you.”

Jaeni looked up to her brother, who was smiling his awkward smirk-smile, “Promise?”

“Promise.” Junhyung nodded.

“OPPA!” Jaeni’s face grew bright again. She leaped on Junhyung and hugged him tightly. “Alright! Thank you, oppa!!”

Junhyung laughed and pat Jaeni’s back, “Ne. We’ll talk tonight to plan.”

“Ne!” Jaeni gave Junhyung another squeeze before letting go. Junhyung nodded. “But, oppa, I actually better go. It’s getting pretty late, Yunji unnie might get worried.”

“Yunji…?”

Jaeni nodded, “The senior from school I was talking about. Whose house I’m staying over, remember?”

“Ah, yeah. Give me her address too, okay? So I know where you’re at.”

Jaeni beamed, and pressed the elevator button, “I will, oppa! Thank you again.” The doors opened and she walked in, “I’m sorry, oppa, for barging in today.”

“No problem.” Junhyung smiled and waved as the elevator doors slid shut.

 

The B2ST members all scrambled back into the dorm when they saw Junhyung start to walk back. “What happened, hyung?” Yoseob asked nonchalantly, as if they weren’t just eavesdropping into the Yong siblings’ conversation. “Your dongsaeng isn’t mad, is she?”

“Ani. Junhyung said, taking off his slippers and sitting on a comfortable spot in the living room. “And I told her we’d go out tomorrow.”

“Yahhhh.” Doojoon flung his arm around the rapper’s shoulder, “Who knew our Junhyungie was such a nice oppa after all?” The rest of them laughed, Junhyung smirked.

“Ahhh really.” He chuckled.

“So, uh.” Hyunseung cleared his throat, “Did you mean what you said? About, uh, me being Jaeni’s favorite member?”

“Yes. She’s really always asking about you.”

“Ah, I see.” Hyunseung said coolly, supressing a smile.

Junhyung gave a breath, “Aiyahhh. I’m tired. This was one heck of a birthday.” He got up and stretched, “I think I’m going to go sleep now. Night, guys.” He headed over to their bedroom, lied down on his bunk, and dialed for Pikachu.