25. Usamimi

I Like You The Best

[Author's Note: One month since my last update.. Why am I so busy? ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ It's short, not as well as I'd like but this is the best that my mind has come up with in one month. ]

 

---

 

 

The fact that Yunji wasn’t at all mad at Jaeni made the younger even guiltier. Jaeni knew that Yunji was never the type of person to get mad, but after giving Jonghyun Yunji’s number and rekindling old feelings, Jaeni felt horrible. Hopping off the train at Bupyeong market all the way in Incheon, Jaeni looked around, deciding which direction to go first. She decided to go all the way to Incheon to buy something that Yunji would like, as a small token of apology.

A small bottle of banana milk in one hand, and her phone in the other, she made her way around the bazaar.

Jaeni, thought back to the previous week. It had been days since she last had contact with her brother, or any of the members of Beast. What she distinctly remembered, however, was the fact that the last time she did see her brother was the night Hyunseung was over with her at Yunji’s, and the night Junhyung got obviously mad.

“Is it so wrong that I like him so much?” Jaeni muttered to herself, as image of Hyunseung popping in her mind as she tried to pick out something for her friend. “And I don’t see why Junhyung oppa won’t let me spend time with him.” Huffing, and not finding anything she knew would suit Yunji’s taste she decided to keep looking. “Nan niga jaeil jowa.” You sing quietly as the song comes up on your mp3 player.

“Niga jaeil yeppeo.”

Jaeni tilted her head slightly, looking over another at a rack of clothes, and continued to hum the song.

“Jinaganun kotkot maeruki da hulreo.”

Jaeni’s eyebrows furrowed, something about the song felt so close, as if someone was singing right next to her. She turned her head slowly and gasped. “Kikwang op-…!”

Kikang put a finger on his lips. “Shh!” He said quickly, his signature smiling eyes showing from his pair of glasses.  Jaeni smiled and nodded. “What are you doing here? Are you with Jiji?”

Jaeni shook her head. “Aniyo.” She replied. “I’m here alone. I wanted to buy something for Yunji unnie, something to cheer her up.”

“Cheer her up? Is she okay?” Hyunseung, disguised with a scarf around his neck, walked up to Kikwang. “Hi Jaeni.” He greeted.

“Hyunseung oppa.” For some reason, Jaeni felt awkward, and at the same time happy to see Hyunseung. “I uh… Think it still has something to do with her rumor with Kikwang oppa.”

“Ah right, that.” Kikwang said, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. “Still haven’t had that cleared.”

“The people at school are no help either.” Dongwoon added. “They’re so harsh on her, it’s insane. And she doesn’t fight back.”

“It’s not in her personality to do that.” Jaeni explained.

“We could help you pick out something for her.” Hyunseung suggested, pointing to Dongwoon and Kikwang. “We’re all here anyway. What do you say?”

Jaeni looked at the three boys, who looked more than happy to help her, and nodded. “That could work!” She chirped.

Kikwang suddenly raised a hand. “There’s uh, something I need to take care of.” He said with a small smile and took out his phone, making a text message. “I’ll explain later at home.” He bowed once to the rest, before quietly leaving and disappearing in the crowd.

“Where’s he going?” Dongwoon asked, curious, to which Hyunseung replied with a shrug. “Jaeni, what should we get?”

“Yunji unnie likes jackets.” Jaeni answered giving it some thought, going back to checking out some clothes from a rack.

“And what does Jaeni like?” Hyunseung asked, standing behind Jaeni and poking the back of her head.

Feeling Hyunseung’s chest brush against her shoulder, Jaeni froze. “U-uh.” She stuttered. “A-aniyo!” She quickly said, stepping away and into another rack. “I’m here to find something for Yunji unnie. I feel so horrible about something.”

“Which is?”

“Nothing important.” Jaeni said, shaking her head.

For the next couple of minutes, Jaeni, Hyunseung, and Dongwoon, browsed through stalls and racks of clothes, trying to pick out something for Yunji. Jaeni wandered off into a small accessory shop, looking through the displays of headbands and necklaces. She picked up a pair of usamimi* headbands and looked at it, smiling a bit.

“Will Yunji like that?” Hyunseung suddenly spoke up. Jaeni, surprised, and not knowing that Hyunseung had followed her in, gasped and dropped the headband.

“Aniyo. It’s not the type of thing that unnie likes.” She said with a chuckle, putting the headband back down and quickly moving on out the store. Hyunseung looked down at the headband, picking it up and examining it, figuring out what it was.

“Ahjumma, I’ll take this one, please!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

(*Usamimi headband )