05. So…Beast! Annyeonghaseyo!

I Like You The Best

 

 

The afternoon sun beamed brightly as Jaeni and Yunji were standing outside the latter’s apartment building after Yunji’s classes that day. “I’m so excited!” Jaeni gleamed, clapping her hands once. “I haven’t had quality time with oppa in so long!”

“I’m sure that’s not the only thing you’re excited about. Don’t you have a huge crush on one of the other members?” Yunji teased. “What was his name again? Hyun….?”

“Hyungseung!” The younger gave an exasperated sigh. “I talk about them all the time, I can’t believe you still don’t know them, or at least their names.”

“Not my fault that I’m not a fan girl, like you.”

“Oh but I think you will be! Especially after the trip that we’ll all be going to.” Jaeni nodded. “It’s gonna be so much fun! You’ll see why I love Beast oppas so much!”

“Remind me again why I agreed?”

“Because! One, you’re not going home because your family is out of the country. Two, you have nothing better to do for the break.” She latched onto Yunji’s arm. “And three, because you love me!”

Yunji could only laugh. “Right, right. Where are we going again?”

“Oppa said he found this nice place in Incheon, some guesthouse or lodge or something. Then we could go to the beaches or the parks there!”

“Beaches? But it’s winter.”

“So? I heard beaches are quite nice during winter season.” Jaeni shrugged. I think that’s them!” she exclaimed, jumping up, pointing to a black van coming up the street. It was the same black van that Yunji saw at school that morning. “Oppa!” Jaeni greeted with a big smile, running up to Junhyung as he climbed out of the van. The other five boys followed. “Oppa, oppa! This is the friend I was talking to you about.” She pulled Yunji to stand right beside her. “This is my unnie, Park…-“

“Yunji?” Dongwoon said the moment he slid out of the car.

“Dongwoon!” Yunji smiled, acknowledging the greeting.

“You two… Know each other?” Doojoon was intrigued.

“Ah.” Dongwoon answered. “Ne, I met her at school today. We share a lot of our classes together.”

“Really? That’s great!” Jaeni gave a smile, and was about to say something else when Kikwang jumped right in front of Yunji, moving his face uncomfortably close to hers, as if carefully scanning her. His eyebrows scrunched.

“Yah! What are you doing?” Doojoon was shocked at Kikwang’s sudden actions. He tugged his arm, but Kikwang tugged back.

“Jiji?” Kikwang tilted his head.

Yunji gave a perplexed expression. She hadn’t heard the nickname in so long. Nobody had called her that in years, and only one childhood friend did use that name. “…Kiki?” She managed to say.

“Jiji!!” In an instant, Kikwang had Yunji’s head trapped in his arms in a head grip. “It’s you!”

“Yah!” Yunji laughed and elbowed Kikwang in the rib, causing him to release her. “I haven’t seen you in years, you babo!”

“But how is that even possible?” Kikwang said in aghast. “All you need to do is look at the television and you’ll see me!”

“You… know each other?” Dongwoon said out loud, interrupting what seemed to be a small reunion between Yunji and Kikwang. The two nodded at the same time.

“Childhood friends.” Yunji explained simply.

“Ah!” Jaeni squeaked. “I have to introduce you to all of them. You already know Kikwang oppa and Dongwoon oppa but not everyone else. Okay, this is Park Yunji unnie. She used to go the same high school I’m attending but she graduated last year. She attends college where Dongwoon oppa goes.”

Yunji bowed.

“Right, right. I’m Yoon Doojoon, and… Jang Hyunseung, Yong Junhyung, Lee Kikwang, Yang Yoseob, and Son Dongwoon.” The leader pointed to the members as he said their names. “So…” He said with a grin as he glanced at the rest of the members, and they all got what he meant.

“…Beast! Annyeonghaseyo!” They call chimed in together and bowed at the same time.

Yunji and Jaeni looked at each other and laughed. Jaeni clapped her hands.

“Hey, all of you!” A man peeked out from inside the van. “What’s taking so long?” He called out impatiently. All eyes turned to him and Doojoon gave him a small apologetic bow.

“That’s Joonkun hyung. Manager.” He looked at Jaeni and Yunji. “He’s bringing us to the lodge.”

“Faster!” Joonkun called out again. “I need to get back here by tonight, I still have things to settle.”

“Ne, hyung!” Doojoon said and faced the girls again. “Let’s continue the chit chat in the car.” He motioned the others to take the girls’ bags and load them in the car. The members obediently obliged to their leader’s orders, and one by one, they filed in the car.

 

The group arrived in a simple guesthouse in Incheon. Junhyung stepped out the car first, looking at the gate in front of them to check if it was the right place. “Incheon Guesthouse. Yep. Seems like it.” He looked back at the car as, one by one, the others stepped down.

Following Junhyung’s lead, they stepped inside the compound. They entered the main house, and were greeted by some staff members. Together with Doojoon, he talked to the concierge about their booking. The rest just stood and looked around. Within a few minutes, Junhyung and Doojoon walked back, holding a set of keys.

“We got the one overlooking the sea.” Doojoon said. “It has 4 bedrooms, which means there will be two per room. Obviously, Jaeni and Yunji will bunk together.”

“I’ll be with Jun.” Hyunseung spoke up, looking at Junhyung, who nodded.

Kikwang and Yoseob slung their arms on each other’s shoulders and grinned. “Roommates!” They said in unison.

“Which means I’m bunking in with maknae!” Doojoon nodded, throwing the keys at Dongwoon, who, to no one’s surprise, failed to catch it.

The maknae sighed and bent down to pick up the keys. “Aigo.”

 

“This is nice.” Hyunseung said upon entering where they’ll be staying, lingering on the last word. The guesthouse was simple, but very cozy. It had a large front porch, a spacious living room, a big kitchen and a dining area, a hallway leading to 4 bedrooms, and two bathroom areas. There was also a small veranda at the back that overlooked the beach.

“What now?” Yoseob asked, taking a seat on a big couch. “We can have an early dinner! We have some packed food, right? We can just heat it up.”

Doojoon nodded, liking the sound of the idea. “I’m sure everyone’s tired from the trip.”

“You brought food, oppa? We have some too!” Jaeni said, rushing to her bags, taking out a lunchbox. “We made some kimchi, some bulgogi…” She took the containers out one by one, showing a variety of food and side dishes.

The boys huddled around her, eyes glued to all the food. “Uwa… You made all those?” Kikwang’s mouth was hanging open.

“Mostly Yunji unnie.” Jaeni replied, setting all the containers on the dining table. “I made the kimbap though. I can only cook basic stuff.”

“Got the plates!” Dongwoon exclaimed, quickly setting up the table, putting out the plates and the utensils. “Ah, I’m so hungry.” He groaned.

“Let me just heat up the food, I think there’s a micowave here!” Jaeni smiled, excited for her first dinner with her brother and the rest of Beast.