35. I Like You the Best

I Like You The Best

 

[Author's Note: I have updated again after 3491407re97wer years! And I Like You the Best has been, without a doubt, the longest fanfic I have ever written. I know it's lacking in a lot but I am very, very happy that I have subscribers who do like my story. And it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ; u ; This is going to be the last chapter, but I will throw in a special Epilogue which I will get to as soon as I can. (I think I am more equipt to writing oneshots, uhuhu). Again I want to say thank you so much to everyone who read, subscribed, commented, and supported me throughout these YEARS that I have written this! ]

 

---

 

Dongwoon had not only convinced Yunji to give him a chance, but had also convinced her to walk back in the party hand in hand, much to her embarrassment. She felt shy, almost too shy, as Dongwoon slid open the door and pulled her in.

“Don’t worry,” He reasoned out, closing the door behind them. “No one will noti-“

Kikwang’s gasp was loud enough to stop whatever conversations were going on in the room. “What’s going on!” He exclaimed, finger pointed at the two who had just walked back in.

“Are you two dating now?!” Jaeni was practically screaming.

Yunji winced, and was quick to pull her hand back, but Dongwoon was just as reluctant to let go, and a big grin spread over his lips. “Ye-“

“No.”

“What? But you said..!”

“I said I’d give you a chance!” Yunji sighed, there was no way she would get out of the situation now, so she simply dragged Dongwoon back to the crowd and sat down at their spot from earlier. She could feel all their eyes on her and Dongwoon. “Given that we wont make it public, and that his career always comes first. I said I’d give him a shot.”

“So that basically means you’re dating!” Kikwang sounded oddly excited.

“Can we just…!” Yunji whined, violently shaking Dongwoon’s hand off her so she can cross her arms over her chest. “Can we just focus on Jaeni, please! This is her party anyway.” Her cheeks were burning red. Dongwoon chuckled, and smiled at her, and despite her slight frustration on being pestered of the topic, she smiled back.

 

After Jaeni had said her thank you speech, she took some time to, one by one, thank each Beast member for being kind to her on the duration of visit to Seoul, and to apologize for barging into their lives so suddenly. She left Junhyung and Hyunseung as the last two she would talk to.

“Oppa.” She finally said to Junhyung, pulling him out onto the balcony. He followed without hesitation, even though Jaeni had been with them a while, it was rare that he had actually gotten to spend alone time with her. “I had a lot of fun here, oppa.”

Junhyung patted his sister’s head and ruffled up her bangs a bit. “So did I. I wish we could have gotten more time together. Listen, the next time we get a long vacation, I’ll come back home and spend time with you and mom and Junsung, alright?”

“You promise?” Jaeni beamed, it wasn’t very often that Beast got long enough breaks for her brother to come back home to visit, but something in Junyhung’s voice made her feel like he meant it

“I promise.” Junhyung nodded. “But you have to promise me something, too?”

“What is it?”

“Do well in school, and,” He paused with a smug grin. “Next time you come visit, please give me at least two days notice.”

Jaeni laughed, but she jumped at Junhyung for a big hug. It wasn’t often she was this affectionate with him, but she didn’t mind. She loved her brother after all.

They had stayed out the balcony for well over 15 minutes, bidding their goodbyes, promising to keep in touch through their phones, and taking selcas, which Jaeni swore she would never post online.

Junhyung stepped back in the venue, and Jaeni took a deep breath. The only person she had yet to say goodbye to was Hyunseung.

 

Hyunseung wasn’t too far away, just a few feet away from Jaeni, placing some confetti strips he picked up from the ground on his cheeks. He spotted Jaeni looking at his direction, and he pointed to his face. “Look, tears.” There was a sheepish smile on his face. “Because I’m sad that you’re leaving.”

Jaeni giggled, she could feel her cheeks turning pink. She stepped back in only to pull Hyunseung back out to the balcony. “I saved the best for last.” She said, half teasing, half meaning it completely.

“Because I’m your bias, right?” I remember Junhyung teasing you about it the first night you came.” He peeled off the confetti from his face and dropped it on Jaeni’s head.

“Ah you remember that…” Jaeni couldn’t help feeling shy in front of Hyunseung, no matter how many times they had talked over the break.

“Because it’s nice to know that I’m someone’s favorite. It’s nice to know a lot of fans like Beast.”

“I like you the best, oppa.” Jaeni was surprised at how frank she sounded, but she knew she wouldn’t regret it anyway, somehow. “I meant it. And I wanted to say thank you for everything. For the time we made oreos, and the usamimi headband…” She was fiddling with her fingers, but she was smiling brightly. Hyunseung quickly smiled back and Jaeni felt her heart do flips.

“I had so much fun, hanging out with you. Honestly, at first I wasn’t expecting to but,” A pause. “Jaeni, I like…”

“You like what, Seung?”

Jaeni and Hyunseung’s head whipped to the direction of the balcony door, open, and to Junhyung who was leaning against it, can of coke in hand.

“…Jun!”

“What do you like?” Junhyung repeated, his eyebrow arched.

“…Eggs.”

“…Eggs…” Junhyung blinked, completely taken aback by Hyunseung’s unexpected reply, and he broke into a small laugh, shaking his head.

“Junhyung, could you check the ice in the cooler?” Hyunseung piped, shoulders slightly slumped. Junhyung was protective over his sister, without a doubt.

“Why?”

“Because it might be melting.”

“Why would it be melting?”

“Because!” There was obvious desperation in Hyunseung’s whine. “Ice has a tendency to do that, you know. To melt?” And Junhyung picked up on his tone of voice. Jaeni, too, was giving him a pleading look.

Junhyung decided it was safe enough to leave Jaeni and Hyunseung alone for a couple of minutes anyway. With a defeated sigh and a nod, he stepped back inside, probably to go bother Doojoon. He slid the door close behind him.

“As I was saying…” Hyunseung rubbed the back of his neck, his attention going back to Jaeni.

“That you like eggs?”

“Yes, that.” Hyunseung was smiling again. “Well, I mean, I do, actually. Like eggs. For breakfast mostly, but.- Ah, that wasn’t my point!” He took a quick glance behind him to make sure Junhyung wasn’t watching him with eagle eyes again. Thankfully, Junhyung was inside, busy talking to Doojoon.

“I’d like for you to stay in touch.” He stated. “I can get your number from Junhyung, and I know you wouldn’t be spreading it around. Right?”

“I would never.”

“And… Come visit us again when you have another one of these long breaks. We could make oreos again, or figure out what else we can cook. Or something.” Hyunseung made sure not to sound too nervous, or too excited. “Because…”

There was another pause, longer this time, and Hyunseung laughed a nervous laugh.

“Ahhhhhh.” He whined a little exasperatedly, swinging back and forth on his heel. “I guess. I’m just saying that. I. You know. Ahhhh.”

Jaeni’s head was tilted by now. Hyunseung was rambling, and both of them new it, though Jaeni found it completely adorable.

“I think that I like… You.” Hyunseung finally blurted. “I mean, I do.”

And it felt like Jaeni’s world had stopped moving from such a simple confession. She felt like she had to pinch herself to wake up. How was it possible that her biggest crush, celebrity crush at that, was confessing to her?

Jaeni’s face was as red as the coke can in Junhyung’s hand, and Hyunseung stepped closer, both his hands cupping each side of her face. “Promise to keep in touch.” He said softly, planting a small and quick kiss on Jaeni’s forehead.

“I promise, oppa.”