31. Meowr?

I Like You The Best

 

Jaeni’s leaving in a couple of days, thought you should know.

What? Already?

Yeah, this weekend, I think.

What should I do?

Why are you asking me? Uh, plan a going away party or something.

 

Junhyung sprawled on their living room floor, reading the exchange of texts between him and Yunji. However a surprise party sounded like a good idea, Junhyung knew he was nowhere near a party planner. “Maybe I should get Joonkun hyung…”

“Get Joonkun hyung what?” Hyunseung asked, just as he entered the dorm. He slipped his shoes off and flopped right next to Junhyung. “It’s not his birthday, is it? Coz if it were, I don’t have anything for him.”

“No, it’s not his birthday. Something about Jaeni.”

Hyunseung nodded. “Ah, Jaeni. Which reminds me.” He started fiddling with his fingers. “I know you said no, but… I’m asking again, just in case you changed your mind or get my subtle persistence but, uh,” He cleared his throat. “Can I date Jaeni?”

“What?”

“Jaeni.” Hyunseung repeated, his voice sounding firmer. “Can I date her?”

“Seung, what did I tell you?” Junhyung sat upright, his voice just as firm as the other’s.

“That’s the thing.” Hyunseung was true to his word about being persistent. “You said if I hurt her, you wouldn’t be able to be civil with me. But I won’t hurt her, Junnie. Or, say that’s going way too far. Look, she’s cool, we click, I like her. I’m not saying I’m going to marry her, I just want to take her out on a date.”

“But…-“

“Would you rather have me take her out secretly, without your permission?”

Junhyung gave a small, exasperated sigh. “You really want to go out with her that much?”

“Yes, to annoy you.” Hyunseung replied teasingly, bursting out in laughter as the rapper shot him a death glare. “Kidding, man. Kidding. I like her.”

“Something tells me…”

“I’m not going to stop until you say yes. If that’s what you’re thinking, then you’re right.”

“Stop cutting me off.” Junhyung punched at Hyunseung’s arm lightly. “Okay, let’s make a deal. I’ll let you take her out on a date, one date,” he stuck one finger up, emphasizing his point, “if you help me plan her going away party.”

Hyunseung blinked a few times. “Going away party? Already?”

“My thoughts exactly. But yes, already.”

“Deal.”

 

A few hours after his agreement with Junhyung, Hyunseung had already phoned in their manager, asking for a few days off, as the group did not have much promotions going on. He had the simplest plan in mind: A little get together with Beast, Jaeni, and Yunji, some food, and maybe a little program. “The practice room could be a good place to have it.” He muttered to himself, walking towards their headquarters to ask if he could borrow that room for a day.

Approaching Cube, he spotted a familiar pink outfit, one he had seen only a few days ago when a girl barged into their dorm, standing right by the entrance.

“Jaeni?” He called out, walking closer. “Is that you?”

Jaeni, surprised at Hyunseung’s voice, turned abruptly, dropping the package she had in her hand. “Hyunseung oppa!” Hyunseung smiled, pleased that it was Jaeni. He ran up to her, crouching down to pick up her things and stood back up, handing them back over.

“What brings you here?”

“Um…” She could feel her face start to turn red, hands fumbling with the small lunch box in her hand. “I actually, um, I was hoping, um…” She began to stutter.

“Looking for me?” The idol asked with a joking grin, only to see Jaeni’s face burn brighter. “You’re looking for me?” Suddenly, Hyunseung’s expression became surprised.

Jaeni nodded slowly, handing the lunchbox right back to Hyunseung, who, still at a loss for words, took it. “I thought you would be here practicing. You know, since I know you always practice your dance and all.” She answered shyly.

Hyunseung stared at the lunchbox in his hand, then looked at Jaeni, a small smile forming on his face. “Have you eaten? Let’s eat this together.”

“W-what?”

“C’mon.” Carefully balancing the package in one hand, he took Jaeni by the wrist and led her up the Cube building, going directly to one of the practice rooms. “This one’s empty.” He said, going inside and kicking the door behind them both.

“B-but there’s only enough food for one person there, oppa. It’s r-really okay.” Jaeni found herself stuttering again.

“Then we’ll share.” Hyunseung sat on the floor, patting the space beside him, before opening the lunchbox. Inside was a variety of different kinds of kimbap, some meat, some vegetables, some fish, and a few pieces of mandu, along with a small serving of tteokbokki. “You said enough for one person.” He asked Jaeni, raising his eyebrow. “Are you trying to make me fat?”

Jaeni’s eyes widened. “What? No! I…-!”

“Kidding!” Hyunseung laughed. “You and your hyung sure can’t take jokes, huh?” He added with a smile. “You made these yourself?”

“Um, yes. But I’m sorry if they’re not that good. I’m not so good with cooking yet.” Jaeni said. “I couldn’t get Yunji unnie to help me coz she went out today, so I kind of had to do them myself.”

Hyunseung picked a kimbap up with his fingers, putting it in his mouth whole. He took a moment before jabbing his thumb up at Jaeni. “Delicious!” He exclaimed, his other hand covering his mouth.

Jaeni replied with a bright smile. “Really, oppa?”

“So good.” He nodded, picking up another piece and holding it against Jaeni’s lips. “Have one.” Jaeni was about to protest, when Hyunseung took the opportunity to pop the kimbap in . “Even better when it’s shared.”

Jaeni pouted in protest, though she ate it, feeling giddy inside. “I guess you’re right.” She chuckled awkwardly, staring down at her hands.

“Are you busy tomorrow?”

“Pardon?” Jaeni looked up at Hyunseung. For some reason, she could feel her heart rate increasing.

“Tomorrow, are you busy?” He asked again. Jaeni shook her head, her face perplexed. “Just asking,” Hyunseung said, eating a piece of mandu.

“Oh.”

Jaeni remained silent for a few moments, slightly disappointed, thinking Hyunseung was about to ask her out, but apparently didn’t. She was, however, happy, that he seemed to be enjoying the food she had brought for him. Shyly, she reached her hand over to get another piece of kimbap. Her hand brushed against Hyunseung’s, and she abruptly pulled back.

“Your hands are pretty small.” He suddenly said, holding Jaeni’s wrists and examining her hand, holding it near his face.

“Um, well…” Jaeni stammered.

“But your fingers are kind of long. Just like Junnie’s.” He said. “And smooth. Smooth palms.” He traced a line of her palm, making Jaeni’s fingers tense up. “Ticklish?” He asked her, she nodded in response.

Hyunseung put her hand back down and resumed eating. Jaeni looked at her hand, amazed at how tingly it felt, and how clammy it was becoming. It was amazing, to her, how the small act of skinship made her feel. “Y-you have soft hands too,  oppa.” She managed to say out.

“Really? I thought they’ve always been kinda rough.”

“Well,” Jaeni paused. “They kind of are, now that I think of it.”

“And here I was thinking it was soft.” Hyunseung clutched at his chest dramatically, slumping forward.

Jaeni giggled. “Oppa should use lotion if he wants his hands to be smooth.”

“Deceived. I’ve been deceived!” He cried out, ignoring Jaeni’s advice. He heaved and fell forward, his head on Jaeni’s lap. On instinct, Jaeni froze.

“O-oppa.” She poked his forehead. “Wake up.” Hyunseung only groaned. “Oppa!” She laughed, poking his forehead harder.

“If that bruises, I will blame you.” He peeked an eye open.

“Coz you won’t wake up.” She whined, poking his forehead several more times.

“Your lap is more comfortable than Junnie’s.” Hyunseung said. “I mean, not that I lay my head on his or anything.” He grinned. “Am I giving you more ideas for fanfiction?”

“Ah, oppa!” Jaeni looked embarrassed. “I stopped writing those! Besides, Jun oppa would kill me if he catches me writing those things again.”

“Why do you like writing about me being with him? As a fan, shouldn’t you write more about, say, me and you, or something?”

Jaeni was a bit taken aback by the question. She laughed, shaking her head. “Fangirls are complicated beings, oppa. You never really know what’s on their mind.”

“How about fanboys? Are they as complicated? I have fanboys.” He said, laughing along with her.

“You have fanboys because you’re pretty.” Jaeni nodded. “And I’m not sure how fanboys function. Fangirls are pretty intense though.”

“I’d have to agree. But gotta love them, right?”

“As crazy as they are, your fans love you just as much, don’t worry.” She reassured, patting Hyunseung on the head.

“Do I look like a pet now?”

Jaeni giggled, nodding. “Kitty cat oppa.”

Hyungseung purred, hesitantly, balling his fists and rubbing them against his cheeks. “Meowr?”