07. You Look Like A Chipmunk

I Like You The Best

 

[Author's Note: Double update tonight! Because I'm feeling nice, inspired, and I am very happy that I will get to see 2AM live tomorrow!]

 

---

 

Yunji walked in the kitchen just as she heard a lout metallic clang, followed by a silent scream of pain. “Ah, hot! Hot!” Dongwoon was standing, slightly bent over, clutching his right hand, a pot of spilled ramyeon on the floor. He crouched down, and took a handful of the noodles in his left hand, before flinging them back on the floor. “Still hot! Still hot!” he exclaimed.

“Uh.” Yunji spoke up, surprising Dongwoon. “Do you need help with that?”

“I’m okay.” Dongwoon said with a nod, his eyes going back to the mess on the floor. “I’ll just uh…” But before he could finish his sentence, Yunji was already crouched on the floor, using chopsticks to transfer the noodles in the pot, which she placed on the sink afterwards. She then proceeded to wiping the spilt soup with a paper towel.

“It’s okay, I got it.” Yunji said, getting up after wiping the floor clean. She threw the paper towel and faced Dongwoon, taking his hand and inspecting it. “You need to put a little ointment on this. It might be nothing serious but it might blister.”

“Ne. Thanks, Yunji…noona.”

“Noona? Aigo. We’re from the same year, no need for formalities.”

“Right.”

“I was about to make myself some noodles as well.” She took out two packets of instant ramyeon, “Should I make you a batch too?”

“Ne! I can help you!” Dongwoon beamed. “Let me just…-“

“You,” Yunji pointed to the kitchen counter across the stove. “Stay over there. I wouldn’t want any more spilt ramyeon.” She added with a small grin. Dongwoon furrowed his eyebrows slightly and his lips curled into a small pout, but he complied anyway. “It’s not so hard to make, Dongwoon.” She said, emptying the contents on a clean pot and putting it on the stove.

“It’s really isn’t.” He said with a nod.

“So it was on the floor, why?”

“…Because.” Dongwoon began, “Uh, I was mixing the soup and I left the spoon in. I guess I forgot how hot it became. So when I touched it, I burnt myself and I kind of flailed my hand, then I hit the pot. Then it fell.” He gave an embarrassed smile.

“And then you decided to pick up steaming noodles from the floor with your bare hands?” Yunji asked, amused at the turn of events.

“Well they could have gotten slightly cooler.” Dongwoon shrugged innocently.

Yunji turned to the coffee pot by the sink and poured herself some a cup of decaf. An awkward silence seemed to fill the kitchen. Sensing this, Yunji began humming the song she last heard song she heard when she borrowed Jaeni’s music player earlier that day. She wasn’t sure what the song was, or who sang it, but the tune was stuck in her head. “Ee muni dachimyeon…” She quietly sang the only line she could recall.

Upon hearing Yunji hum and sing, Dongwoon looked up from randomly fiddling with his fingers. Yunji leaned on the counter, adding some sugar to her coffee, still humming. Dongwoon stealthily crept up behind Yunji, placing his face strategically near her ear. He waited for his cue.

Yunji hummed one more line, before Dongwoon, in all confidence, belted out his high note. Yunji jumped up, dropping the spoon she was holding. Her reaction made Dongwoon laugh out loud.

“Yah!” The still in shock Yunji turned to face Dongwoon and hit him on his chest. “You wanna die?!”

Dongwoon was still laughing, clutching his chest where Yunji hit him. For a girl, he had to admit she could hit pretty hard. “Y-you should’ve seen your f-face!” He managed to stutter out.

“I am going to kill you!” She balled up her fists and punched him arm repeatedly. Dongwoon backed up, eventually hitting the table, but still in laughter. She continued hitting him until she found herself start to laugh along.

“Yah!” Dongwoon said, imitating Yunji’s expression.

“Hey, I was not like that!” Yunji said, walking back to the stove, turning it off. “I’ll get back at you, just you wait.” Using a dry wash cloth to hold the handle, she picked up the pot and placed it on the middle of the table. Dongwoon’s laughter finally subsided, and he took out some spoons and chopsticks.

“Sorry.” He chuckled. “I couldn’t help it. You were singing our song.”

“Ne?”

“That song you were humming.” Dongwoon took a seat across from where Yunji sat and handed out her utensils. “That’s my duet song with Doojoon hyung.”

“I honestly did not know that. I just heard it on Jaeni’s music player.”

“Hyung and I composed it together.” He said proudly, leaning over and ate some noodles. “Hot!” he mumbled, again burning himself with newly cooked ramyeon,, and threw his head back, opening his mouth, in an attempt to cool the noodles.

Yunji took a moment to look at Dongwoon’s face. She had looked at him before, on television, in photos, but it was the first time she saw him in such a close proximity. Her gaze traveled from his shapely eyebrows, his deep eyes, sharp nose, thin lips, to his defined jaw line. She admired his handsome features, a bit of her was still unable to believe that he was the youngest in his group.

“Yunji ah.” Came Dongwoon’s deep voice.

She blinked and found herself face to face with Dongwoon, who had completely leaned over the table to her, his face inches away. Her eyes widened and she pulled her head back instantly.

“Your expression was so blank, I was wondering if you were having a or something.” He tilted his head and examined her face.

“A-ani.” She stammered, pushing Dongwoon’s shoulder with her finger. He sat back down. “So how’s the ramyeon? Not overcooked, is it?” She kept her eyes on the pot and began eating again.

“You seem hungry.” Dongwoon chuckled after Yunji swallowed her fourth consecutive mouthful of food. Yunji looked up as she filled with more noodles. She shoved the pot back at Dongwoon’s side of the table.

“Shorry, shorry.” She spoke in between chewing her food, covering , her cheeks full.

Dongwoon laughed. “You look like a chipmunk.”

Yunji took a big swig of her coffee and raised an eyebrow at Dongwoon.

“I mean, you look… like… a chipmunk. With your cheeks full like that.” He explained. “It’s kind of cute, actually. Very different from the image of you that I saw in school.”

“Are you saying I look ugly in school?”

“No! No, no, no!” Dongwoon shook his head wildly. “That’s not what I meant. It’s coz… Well, in school, you’re so quiet and you don’t seem to smile a lot or talk to a lot of people, let alone stuff your mouth with food. At least, that’s what I observed today.”

“I just don’t smile without reason.”

Dongwoon was scratching his head. “I’m just saying…”

“I’m kidding, Dongwoon ah.” Yunji giggled. “And you finish up, I’m full.” She pointed to the pot, then finished up her coffee.

“You’re not ugly.”

“Ne?”

Dongwoon shook his head and brought the pot to his lips, drinking up all the soup. He looked at her from the rim. “I…’m gonna go wash this now.” Yunji got up and walked back to the sink.

“I think I should do the dishes. It’s only fair, since you cooked.” He reasoned out, but she had already finished washing her mug. Bringing everything else to the sink, he nudged Yunji out of the way.

Yunji scoffed as she stepped aside. “Fine.”

“So…” He began once he sensed she was about to leave the kitchen. “You’re not a big fan of Beast?”

“Honestly, no.” She gave a small smile. “Like I told you before, I’m not a big music fan.I just heard some of your songs from Jaeni.”

“So uh…” He didn’t want to sound disappointed. “You and Kikwang hyung… Are friends?” He glanced at Yunji over his shoulder, and saw that she was nodding.
“Childhood friends, you could say.” She replied. “We used to live right across each other when we were kids, but right around the end of middle school, he left to be a trainee. We lost contact ever since.”

“Ahhh, I see.” Dongwoon nodded along. He set aside the clean dishes and dried his hands. “I’ve met Kikwang hyung when we were trainers in JYP, before we moved to Cube and he debuted as AJ, and I kind of withdrew from training for a while.”

“Kikwang really hasn’t changed over the years.” Yunji smiled. “Even as a kid, he was always so hyper and happy all the time.”

“Yunji ah.” Dongwoon suddenly said. “You wanna go for a walk?”

“A walk?” Yunji was a bit taken aback by the sudden invitation.

Dongwoon nodded. “Unless you don’t want to, it’s okay.” He gave a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay. Let me just get my coat.”