14. My Own Little Mini Performance

I Like You The Best

[Author's Note: Double-update today! Coz I'm feeling nice and it's raining and although I do hate the lightning and thunder, I do love the rain. And jamming to Beast's 비가 오는 날엔 On A Rainy Day (see what I did thar ohohoho) feels great. I also kind of tried to change the writing style for this chapter, made it a little more descriptive. Oh, and, dear stargazer, if you're reading this, please don't massacre your keyboard. ;) ]

 

---

 

Jaeni was standing in front of the door to the dance studio at Cube, already quite annoyed. She had slipped on snow on her way to the headquarters, and had to undergo a big argument with the man at the main desk who refused to believe she was Junhyung’s little sister and would not grant her access up the building. The food she had prepared for her brother had gone cold, she knew it, and it irritated her. She made soup, some side dishes, and a few viands, and she swore that if the rice had gone stale, she would go berserk at the lobby.

She was alone at Yunji’s apartment all morning, as Yunji’s. Her brother had not replied to any of her texts, but it’s not like she was worried. She knew through forums and her own research that Beast was to appear on a music show for a special stage, so she knew that the boys would probably be practicing the whole day.  She thought bringing over some lunch would be a good idea. From outside the room, she could hear Beast’s Soom blasting on the stereo. Hesitantly, she slid the door open and peeked her head inside.

The room was empty, except for Hyunseung, who was standing in the middle, facing the mirror and going through the dance. Jaeni became immersed in watching the boy dance, his strong, yet fluid motions in perfect sync with the music. He was, without a doubt, an amazing dancer. Jaeni found herself breathing in and out just as the song’s chorus instructed, breathing at the same time as in the song. As the second verse began, Hyunseung moved over to his supposed position in the choreography, facing the door, and spotted the girl whose head had been peering in.

“Jaeni ah.” He was surprised, but there was a smile on his face.

Jaeni was able to snap back into reality quickly, her eyes slightly widening. “O-oppa.” She managed to say. Hyunseung walked over to the stereos, turning down the music. He picked up a towel from a nearby stool and hung it around his neck.

“What brings you here? Are you looking for Junhyungie?” He asked casually. “He went out to buy something to drink, he’ll be back soon.”

“I came to bring oppa some lunch.” Jaeni replied, holding up the lunchbox in her hand. “I thought all Beast oppas would be here so I prepared a lot.”

“Oh it’s only me and Junhyungie today. The others have their individual recordings and stuff.”

“So you were practicing, oppa? Soom?” Jaeni picked up another topic to avoid having an awkward silence with her biggest crush.

“Yeah!” Hyunseung’s face lit up at the thought of dancing. “I was checking if I still new the dance, I guess I still do!” He said with a smug smile, and then he laughed. Jaeni laughed along.

“Well I think oppa is a great dancer.” Jaeni complimented shyly. “I’ve been to one of your concerts, the first one. It was amazing watching you all performed live. I wasn’t able to get good seats though. It would have been better if I could see Beast oppas dance up close.”

“You could have asked your brother to get you tickets.”

“I didn’t…” Jaeni paused, realizing she had not thought of that idea beforehand. “…Want to bother him. It would be a hassle.” She finished.

“Well but he,” Hyunseung stopped, not wanting to delve in the topic more. “Since you’re here, and all, would you want to stay until Junhyungie gets back? You can watch me practice, I don’t mind.”

Jaeni didn’t even hesitate to nod. “Really? I wont be a distraction, oppa!” She said excitedly. “Woah, like my own little mini performance.” She blurted out, then slapped her hand on , her eyes widening. She shook her head vigorously, attempting to hide her embarrassment after blurting out what she unintentionally said out loud.

“You could think of it that way. Make yourself comfortable.” Hyunseung chuckled and walked over to the stereos again, starting the song from the top and walking back to the middle of the dance floor. Jaeni found a comfortable spot on the couch at the back of the room, her eyes on Hyunseung’s reflection on the mirror in front of both of them.

The haunting introductiom of Soom filled the dance room, Hyunseung’s expression changed into a more serious one. He began dancing, the beat of the music taking over his body. He mouthed the words as he danced, his eyes focused on his reflection, every step, every move, every little detail was precise. Hyunseung’s part came up, and he began singing along, his voice blending with his own from the recording, his singing reverberating in the small room.

The song ended and Jaeni began applauding. A smile filled the boy’s face again; he grabbed the towel from the floor and wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead. He looked at Jaeni, his smile quite shy. “How was it?”

“Daebak!” Jaeni exclaimed, showing two thumbs up. “It was really good!”

“I saw you dancing along at the chorus.” He said. Jaeni was surprised; she didn’t realize that he saw her as she mimicked the choreography while she was watching.

“J-just, uh…” She stammered.

“You dance, right? Show me?” Hyunseung walked up to Jaeni, taking her arm and pulling her to her feet before she could even protest. She froze upon feeling his grip. She obediently got up and stood beside Hyunseung as he led her nearer the mirror. “Just the chorus.” He turned the music on again and stood beside Jaeni. “I can’t take my breath, breath, breath.” He sang while dancing. Jaeni copied him, her movements a lot more timid. “Not like that.” Hyunseung said, sliding behind her. “You have to put your arms up a little higher, like this.” He held her elbows, moving them up and positioning them correctly. “And you move your hands…” His voice trailed off as he held her by the wrists, maneuvering her arms.

Jaeni froze even more, her muscles stiffening, and at the same time turning like jelly, under Hyunseung’s touch.

“Easy, right?” Hyunseung looked down at Jaeni, just as she looked up at him, their faces inches apart. Jaeni felt her face turn red. Hyunseung, who did not seem to notice how close they were standing, flashed a small smile. “Oh, and by the way, Jaeni ah?”

Her eyes were still on Hyunseung’s face. “N-ne, oppa?”

“We’ll be having this special stage thing a few days from now. Would you like to come watch? I’m sure we can manage to get you backstage, or at the very least, to good seats in the audience. You can bring Yunji with you too.”

“That… That would be great!” Jaeni grinned, wide, while nodding her head. “I’ve heard about that stage! I’m excited to watch it.”

“Now you’ll be able to watch up close. I’ll tell you the final details when I know them!”

Suddenly, Hyunseung felt a hot breath on the back of his neck. He looked up to see Junhyung in the mirror. The rapper was standing behind him, his eyes bearing right into Hyunseung’s eyes on his reflection.

“Yah.” If the glare didn’t shake fear into Hyungsueng’s very core, the utter of the short, yet deadly word did. Instinctively, Hyunseung released his hold on Jaeni’s wrists.

“J-Junh…” Hyunseung stepped to the side, a big panicked grin creeping on his face. “Hey look, Jaeni! It’s your brother! Your brother who loves you!” He was taking small steps towards the door. “Your brother who would do anything to protect you because he loves you so much! And, oh! He loves Beast too! He loves his fellow members so much and would not hurt them.” His voice was getting more and more high pitched as he felt Junhyung’s eyes following him. “Jaeni ah, I will see you at the dorm, where your brother will also be, your brother who loves you very much.” Without another word, he hurriedly slipped out of the studio, sliding the door closed behind him, leaving Junhyung with his death glare in place, and Jaeni with a confused expression.