29. But With You, It's Different

I Like You The Best

 

Annyeong.

Yunji looked at the message flashing across her phone screen, unfamiliar with the sender’s number. Who’s this? She typed in and sent hesitantly.

Dongwoon.

Oh. Annyeong. Where’d you get my number? Yunji wondered if it was Jaeni who gave her number away again.

Kikwang hyung.

I see~ She wasn’t sure what else to reply. The last time she had talked to Dongwoon was when he practically stormed out of her apartment a week previous. He barely showed up for school after that, excuse letters coming in from his managers stating he needed a couple of days of to practice for an upcoming performance.

Why are you still up? It’s late.

Yunji rolled onto her stomach and glanced at the digital clock on her bedside table. The numbers read 01:37am. Hadn’t noticed. She typed. I’m not really sleepy, for some reason. Why are you still up?

Taking a walk.

Be careful~~

How are you?

As Yunji read the message, she heard Dongwoon’s caring voice in her head. Was the sincerity she imagined only in her head? Then Dongwoon’s cold, hard expression flashed through her mind. She shook it off and quickly typed in a reply. I’m okay. She didn’t bother to ask herself if she really was okay or if it was an automatic answer to the question.

Can you come down for a bit?

Yunji reread Dongwoon’s text, making sure she was reading it correctly. “Come down…?” She repeated quietly. Hm?

I’m outside your apartment building. It’s okay if you can’t.

Erm, gimme a sec. Yunji bit her lip as she had a small mental battle on whether to go downstairs and meet with Dongwoon or not. She eventually got up and put on an oversized hoodie, changed into some jeans, and slipped out of her apartment.

Dongwoon was standing by a lamppost a few steps from the apartment building, staring at his foot while slightly swinging it back and forth. “Making a girl come out at this unearthly hour? Some gentleman you are.” Yunji said teasingly as she approached him. Even from afar she felt the heavy atmosphere that was between them both. “So, uh, haven’t been seeing you around in school. How are you?”

Slowly, Dongwoon looked up from his shoes. He waited until he stood in front of him before he began. “Honestly, I don’t get you.”

“P-pardon?”

“I don’t get you, Yunji. Sometimes it’s like you want to be my friend, but most of the time you’re cold to me. And I honestly don’t think I did anything to deserve that kind of treatment from you.” He said.

“I…”

“With Kikwang hyung, you’re always teasing and being all… Skinship-y.” He continued. “It’s so obvious you two have a thing going on. I’m not an idiot, you know. Anyone can see it.”

Yunji stood there, speechless at the words Dongwoon was venting out. There was so much emotion in his voice; too much that it hurt her.

“I just want to know why.” He was unsure whether to keep his eyes on her or to look away. “Do you hate me? Because I like you, Yunji.”

“I don’t hate you.” Yunji managed to say, quite surprised with the confession.

“I’m not so sure I believe that.” Dongwoon stated honestly. “Coz how come you’re so friendly with Kikwang hyung, or my other hyungs, for that matter, but when you’re around me, it’s different?”

“Because…”

“Sometimes you make me feel like you want to get close, but then most of the time you make me feel like my presence bothers you.”

“Because.” She took a deep breath. “With Kikwang, regardless of the way we treat each other, I know I’m not going to like him as anything more than my childhood best friend. With you, I’m scared.” She looked down, both surprised and relieved to have admitted the feelings she had been trying to deny.

Dongwoon’s expression was a mix of shock and confusion. “Scared?”

“Look, you guys… All of Beast. You guys are cool. You’re famous, but still down-to-earth, and you all seem so nice. I like you, all of you. Your hyungs, I like them as friends. They’re great guys. But you… It’s different.” Yunji fiddled with her fingers. “I like you the best.”

“You…”

“But I can’t.” She quickly added after a short pause. “I can’t, Dongwoon. I can’t like you. I can’t feel the way I know I’m starting to. That’s why you think I’m being cold to you.”

He took a small step closer to her. “I don’t understand.”

Yunji sighed, trying as hard as she could to remain rational, and not let her feelings take over completely. “I just can’t. I’ve been through this before.” She said, though she knew Dongwoon had no idea of her past with Jonghyun. “Idol life and relationships outside of it just don’t match well.” She looked down at her hands.

“We’ll take it slow, then.” He spoke softly, reaching over and taking her hand in his. “I like you, you like me. Let’s go from there and see where it takes us. It’s not like I’m asking you to be my girlfriend right now.” She tried to pull her hand away but his hold remained firm. “You haven’t even given me a chance yet.”

Yunji couldn’t deny the butterflies growing in her stomach, but her face remained straight, and with as much will power as she could muster, she pulled her hand away.

“I don’t understand.” Dongwoon repeated. “Is it because of Hana? And the other girls at school?  I’ll protect you from them. Or better yet, we don’t need to make anything public.”

“I…” Past conversations with Jonghyun flooded Yunji’s mind. He made the same promises Dongwoon was making. “You won’t understand.”

“It’s because you’re not letting me.” His eyes were locked on her face, he couldn’t read her expression even if he kept trying. “I like you, Yunji.” He said again, suddenly unsure if she knew how he felt exactly. “I like you a lot.

“It’s late.” Yunji didn’t look back at him. “You should go home.”

“Yunji…” Dongwoon frowned a bit. “You just said you like me, you said you liked me best. What’s making things complicated?”

“I’m sorry, Dongwoon. I can’t.”