08. Can’t Let You Go

I Like You The Best

 

“Oppa, let’s go ice skating today!” Jaeni chirped, bouncing up and down while Junhyung was helping Doojoon set up the dining table for breakfast the next morning.

“Mmm.”

“Okay? Okay, okay!” She was clapping her hands. “I’m so excited!” She followed her brother around, smiling wide.

“Yah!” Doojoon walked to the hallway and called out in a loud voice, and knocked on each door. “Wake up, wake up!” One by one, the Beast members emerged from their bedrooms and sleepily dragged their feet to the dining hall. Jaeni was amused at how, though in mundane things, Doojoon was showing how he was the leader.

“Morning.” Dongwoon greeted with a sleepy smile.

Kikwang’s arm was draped around Dongwoon’s shoulder, his eyes still closed as the younger was helping him make his way to the kitchen. “Morning.” He muttered.

“Hyung, you are not light.” The younger huffed, dumping his hyung on the floor, who stretched his legs and rested his head on the table.  Dongwoon sat beside him.

“Good morning!” Hyunseung walked in brightly, finding a spot betweetn Junhyung and Yoseob.

“Wow, hyung. You’re unusually hyper this morning. What’s up?” Dongwoon asked their resident group sleepy head.

“I don’t know why either!” Hyungseung said and looked to Junhyung. “Morning Junie!” The rapper only nodded his head in acknowledgement. Hyungseung noticed the rather cold greeting. “Ohhh, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!” He said teasingly and poked Junhyung’s hand with his chopsticks. Junhyung moved his hand away. “Junhyungie ah, are you still mad at me for last night?” He was referring to how Junhyung had accused him of staring at Jaeni’s legs.

Junhyung grunted and faced away completely.

Everyone had begun eating, but their attention was on the two, their ears tuning in to the conversation.

“Junhyung ahhhh.” Hyunseung pressed his cheek on the back of Junhyung’s arm. “I’m sorryyy.” He said, using his best attempt at aegyo.

“Stop it.” Junhyung hissed.

“But you’re mad at me. Won’t happy again, Junie.” He was rubbing his cheek against Junhyung’s arm.

“I said stop it.” Junhyung yanked is arm away. “And don’t call me Junie.”  And with that, he got up and left, leaving everyone else baffled. They all knew Junhyung’s temper issues, but it was the first time he had such an outburst on a fellow group member.

Hyunseung’s face was full of confusion. He got up and chased after Junhyung. “Hey, wait!”

“Excuse me…-“ Doojoon was about to get up when Jaeni placed a hand on his shoulder, keeping him seated.

“I got this one, oppa.” She stood up. “He’s my brother after all.” She excused herself and walked to the living room, where the two who previously left were standing.

“I didn’t know you were this mad.” Hyunseung spoke up quietly. “I really wasn’t checking out your sister, I swear.”

The rest of the members couldn’t help themselves. They all quietly gathered around by the living room entrance. Juhnyung took notice of this. “Yoseob, I’ll be crashing in your room tonight.”

“Oppa!” Jaeni in. “Why are you being like this to Hyunseung oppa? Are you really that mad at him for last night?”

Junhyung shook his head. “It’s not that. It’s just…” He sighed.

“What? You’re being unreasonably grumpy and awkward.” Jaeni crossed her arms.

“Why are you so affected anyway?”

“Because!” Jaeni whined. “I know you’re not usually like this!”

“I just… saw something.” He replied simply, not wanting to delve deeper on why he was acting the he was, but the look on his sister’s face left him with no choice. He sighed again. “Something I saw on your laptop.”

“My… laptop?”

“Can’t Let You Go.” Junhyung mumbled hesitantly.

Jaeni’s eyes widened at the title of the JunSeung fan fiction she had been working on. “You read it…? You… Wait. Why were you on my laptop?” Her hands were on her hips, her eyebrow raised.

“Why in the world are you writing things like that?”

“Why were you on my laptop?”

“What were you thinking?”

“Yah! Yong Jaesoon!!”

Junhyung’s eyes flared, partially because of Jaeni’s high-pitched scream, and partially because of the mention of his real name. “Yong Jaeni!” He shouted back. The two locked glares, their eyes practically spewing out flames.

“Why were you going through my files?”

“Why are you making things like that?”

“Oh stop overacting! It was just a story!” Jaeni threw her hands in the air.

Everyone else gave a silent “Ohhhh.” of enlightenment, realizing what the whole argument was about.

“So that’s why hyung was so weird around you.” Yoseob whispered to Hyunseung, who was now huddled with the rest of them.

“I remember the time a fan gave him a stack of papers and told him to read it.” Doojoon said, recalling a memory from a previous fan meeting.

“Yeah, that! I saw that too!” Yoseob shuddered. “Hyung didn’t talk to me for days after that. He couldn’t even stand to be in the same room with me.”

“You are nosy, and controlling, and over protective!” Jaeni’s argument interrupted their small conversation. “You’re not appa!”

“Delete it.”

“Mwo? Stop telling me what to do!” Jaeni spat out and stormed back to her room. Junhyung grumbled and opted to go outside, slamming the door behind him.

“That was…” Yoseob blinked. “…such an interesting fight.” The rest nodded and made their way back to the dining table.

“We should really go back to eating.” Hyunseung suggested.

“We really should.” Doojoon agreed,  “It would be sad to put all these delicious food I made to go to waste!” The rest of them shuffled back to their place at the dining table, resuming their meal, somewhat amused at the quite shallow argument that just took place.

“Where’s Yunji, by the way?” Dongwoon suddenly asked, looking around at everyone at the table.

“She went to buy some groceries for dinner.” Doojoon replied. “I was supposed to go but she insisted she’d do it.” He glanced down and slapped Yoseob’s hand away, as the younger was about to grab meat from his bowl. “Yah.”

Yoseob whined and retreat his hand, going back to his own food. “I wonder what we can do today.”

“If those two Yong siblings don’t patch things up, I don’t think this whole thing would work out as well. I mean, didn’t we go on this vacation mainly so the two could bond?” Kikwang spoke up.

“Good point.” Doojoon said. “And this is coming from our resident muscle babo.” He grinned and laughed, “Just kidding.” He added when he saw the childish glare that Kikwang was shotting at him. “But yeah, you have a good point. We need to get those two to make up.”

“Well, no one here knows Jaeni as well as Jiji, so I suggest we wait for her.” Kikwang set down his utensils and took a swig of water.

“Two good points in a row, you’re on a roll, Kikwang!” Doojoon joked. “What do we do with Junhyung, then?”

“Ah you know him. He’ll warm up sooner or later.”