20. Deep Fried Oreos

I Like You The Best

 

The car ride back to Yunji’s apartment was far less noisy that the car ride the boys and girls had on their way to Seoul from Incheon a few weeks back. Aside from the fact that only three out of the eight who were previously in that car ride, were present in this one, Jaeni couldn’t find herself to start a conversation, especially not after Hyunseung’s weird cold attitude towards her earlier that day.

Jaeni fiddled with the signboard on her hands and looked out the window, trying not to be affected by the obvious tension in the car.

“Have you ever tried a deep-fried Oreo?”  Hyunseung suddenly spoke up, surprising Jaeni, and finally breaking the silence that was beginning to become unnerving.

“Pardon?”

“Deep-fried Oreos.” Hyunseung said again, “Have you ever tried them? They’re…how do I explain? Hm, Oreos, dipped in…”

“I know what those are.” Jaeni replied, still a bit surprised at Hyunseung’s very random question.

“I’m suddenly having the biggest craving for them. I’ve never actually tried one before, I just saw a picture, but it looked so good. I have yet to find a place that actually sells them. I heard they were quite easy to make.”

Jaeni was still quite shaken by Hyunseung’s sudden chattiness. “I know how to make them.” She said, making Hyunseung look at her. “I’ve only had them once, Yunji unnie made some before. I still remember how she made them.”

“Did you enjoy our performance today? How’d you like our new song?” Hyunseung began another set of questions. “Did Kikwang tell you about that secret motion? Did you see me do it? Did you do it too?”

“Kikwang oppa told Yunji unnie, and she told me. I did see!” She held up two fingers and made a v-sign. “Like this, right?”

“Not like that!” Hyunseung said, moving Jaeni’s fingers closer together, closing them in. “Like…that! It’s like my very own hand signal.”

Jaeni blushed when she felt Hyunseung’s cold hands on hers. Her mind was still a little confused, the same Hyunseung that was being talkative now was the same Hyunseung that gave the cold-shoulder that morning. “Your performance today was really good, oppa.”

“Have you eaten yet? I’m kinda hungry. I didn’t eat a lot after the performance. We should get something to eat.” He rambled on.He leaned forward towards the driver’s seat. “Hyung, are you hungry? Maybe we can get a bite to eat before we bring Jaeni home. Do you have money? I left my wallet at home, I think.”

Joonkun peered over the rear-view mirror, at the idol who was staring at him with big, puppy-dog eyes.

“Hyung I’m really hungry. Do you know a place where they sell deep-fried oreos? Or can you make them for me, hyung? You can cook, right?”

“Let’s bring Jaeni home first.” Joonkun replied, his eyes back on the road. “Then we’ll pick something up for you and the rest of the boys.” The car turned at a sharp curve before slowing down and coming to a complete stop. “We’re here.” He announced.

“Is Yunji home already?” Hyunseung asked, opening the van door and stepping out so Jaeni could.

The younger checked her phone, and saw that there was still no message from her friend. “Well she hasn’t replied to me yet, I have a feeling she’s still out. I’m getting kind of worried already.”
“Will you be okay being there by yourself? What if robbers come?” There was genuine concern in his voice.

“The door has locks, oppa, I’ll be fine.”

“What if they break in through the windows? I think it’s best if I keep you company until Yunji gets back.”

Jaeni was about to protest, but Hyunseung had already stuck his head back in the car, informing his manager that he would stay over. He asked Joonkun to go ahead and buy dinner first, and that he would just take a cab to get back to the dorm. He shut the door and went to Jaeni. “Lead the way!”

“Are you sure, oppa?” Jaeni walked in the apartment building and led Hyunseung up to Yunji’s apartment. She unlocked the door and held it open for Hyunseung, who stepped inside, looking around.

“Nice place.”

“It used to be a lot neater, before I came to crash with unnie.” Jaeni giggled, kicking off her shoes and following Hyunseung inside. “You’re hungry, right oppa? I’ll see what we have here.” She walked over to the kitchen and rummaged through the cupboards. “Oppa!” She exclaimed suddenly.

Hyunseung whipped his head to the kitchen, tripping over a pair of slippers that was lying around on the floor. “Hm?”

Jaeni held up a small box of instant pancake mix. “I think we still have Oreos in the fridge.” She said with a hinting voice.

“What does that have to do with pancakes?” Hyunseung raised an eyebrow, confused.

Jaeni couldn’t help but laugh. “You don’t know how to make fried Oreos, do you? You dip the cookies in pancake mix, then fry it in oil.”

Hyunseung paused, processing the idea in his mind and visualizing how the snack was made, and nodded slowly, giving a small “Ohhhh” of sudden enlightenment. “Can I help you make them?”

“You can help me fry them, I’m afraid of hot oil.” Jaeni said, taking out a bowl. She poured the powder in the bowl, added enough water, and mixed it with a whisk. “It’s my first time making these.” She said.

“You look like a pro.” Hyunseung stood near Jaeni, watching her. “I don’t really know how to cook, it’s mostly Doojoon hyung who does the cooking at home.”
“And I do think you would do quite horribly in the kitchen.” Jaeni grinned, putting the bowl down on the counter and taking out a pack of Oreos from the fridge. “No offense, oppa.” She added with an innocent smile.

“You know, I still can’t believe you’re Junhyung’s sister.” Hyunseung said. “That guy looks so awkward when he smiles. You actually look pretty cute when you do.”

Jaeni turned away, dipping the Oreos in the prepared batter. She could feel her cheeks burning from the sudden compliment. She submerged the cookie in the batter. “Oppa you can uh, get the saucepan over there.” She pointed with her free hand.

Hyunseung nodded and took the saucepan. He filled it with oil just as Jaeni had instructed. “This much oil? This much? Like this? Is this okay?”

Jaeni sighed, she would never be amused with how Hyunseung was in the kitchen. She looked over at him and nodded. “That’s good enough. Now put it on the stove and put the fire on low.” She grabbed a pair of stainless steel tongs. She walked to the stove. The oil seemed hot enough, so she picked up one batter-covered Oreo and carefully dropped it in the oil. The oil fizzed and out of fear, Jaeni took a cautious step back, afraid the oil would splatter on her. “See? Pretty easy, right? You do that.” She handed the bowl and tongs to Hyunseung.

“Seems pretty simple.” Hyunseung said, proudly. He picked up another piece and dropped it in the saucepan. “Like…-“

“Yes, oppa, like that.”

“And how will I know if they’re done?” Hyunseung asked, peering in the saucepan in awe.

“When they turn golden brown, just take them out.” She said. “I’ll go get a strainer and a plate.” She turned to the stack of dishes, bringing out the things she needed.

“Jaeni ah? Are these done? Is this your definition of golden brown? Coz I think it’s a little bit… More gold than brown.” Hyunseung turned around just as Jaeni was right beside him again. Jaeni peeked and tapped her chin.

“I think that’s okay. Take those out and add another batch. You can put up to three in there, the pan’s pretty big.”

Hyunseung did as he was told, but still constantly asking questions if he was doing it properly. Jaeni rubbed her temples, trying not to lose patience. He poked the tongs in the oil, flipping the Oreos that were being fried. “I only want to make sure they’re perfect.” He said, just before his wrist touched the brim of the hot pan. “Aish!” He cursed out loud, unintentionally, and pulled his wrist back, the force of his movement causing him to slap the tip of the metal tong to Jaeni's arm.

“Ow!” She screeched as the still hot utensil touched her arm.

“I’m sorry!” Hyunseung quickly exclaimed, taking a step back and losing his grip on the bowl, which fell to the ground and shattered, spilling pancake batter and Oreos all over the floor. “I’m so sorry!”

“It’s… It’s fine, oppa.” Jaeni winced slightly, looking at her arm. There was just a small red mark, no burns, and it didn’t really hurt as much as Hyunseung probably thought it did. She looked down at the floor, at the mess that was beginning to spread, and quickly panicked. “I need to clean this before unnie gets back! Let me just go get a mop.”

“No, let me, I did this anyway.” Hyunseung was not taking his eyes off the red line on his wrist. Jaeni took notice of this.

“Did you get a burn?” She quickly turned the stove off and stood in front of Hyunseung, taking a hold of his arm. “Oh, okay it’s not that bad. Just a little burn ointment and you’re good to go.” She let go of his wrist and held up a pair of rubber gloves. “Wear these and pick up the big shards of the bowl. Be careful, I’ll go get the mop and clean the rest, okay, oppa? I’ll get you some burn ointment too, I know unnie has some here.” She made her way to the living room.

Hyunseung put on the pair of gloves and bent down the floor, picking up big shards of broken glass and dumping them in the trash can. Jaeni came back in the kitchen a few seconds later, mop in hand. “You sure you don’t want me to do it for you?” He offered again, getting up.

“I got it, oppa.” Jaeni tossed the tube of ointment towards the counter and began mopping the batter off of the kitchen floor tiles.

“I’m still really sorry.”

“It was an accident.” Jaeni smiled reassuringly. “Accident’s happen all the time.”

“I’m not normally this clumsy.” Hyunseung twisted the cap of the ointment open and squeezed some on this finger. “It’s usually Dongwoon’s who’s the clumsiest out of all of us.”

“I know that.” Jaeni said. She finished mopping the floor and breathed. “Phew, all clean. I hope it doesn’t become sticky later.” She set the mop aside. “How’s your burn?”

“It’s okay. Hopefully it won’t blister.” Hyunseung was applying the ointment on his small burn. “I’m still sorry about hitting you, and breaking the bowl, and making you clean.”

Jaeni smiled and shook her head. “No worries. Do you want to try the Oreos now? We were at least able to make four.” She picked up the plate from the counter and was about to pick one up, when Hyunseung pulled the plate away from her, setting it back down.

“You were just holding a mop, you didn’t even wash your hands.” He stated. “Your hands are dirty.” He picked one up and bit it. “Oh.” He nodded. “Oh this is good.” He said and took another bite, eating half of the treat.

“Good?” Jaeni grinned, contented.

Hyunseung nodded again. “It’s just as great as I imagined!” He kept his hand on Jaeni’s wrist.

“Let me wash my hands, oppa, I want one too.” Jaeni pouted, wiggling her hand, pointing to the sink. Her pout was replaced with a shocked expression when Hyunseung held the half of what he was eating in front of her lips. She looked at it, then questioningly at Hyunseung.

“My hands are clean.”

After having the Oreo poked at her lips, she finally opened them, taking a bite. She kept her eyes on Hyunseung’s hand, too shy to look up at his face as he fed her.

Hyunseung let go of Jaeni’s wrist and pulled out his phone from his pocket, there was no sound, but the screen was flashing, and Junhyung’s name was in big, bold letters. “Hello?” He picked up.

“Did you bring Jaeni back to Yunji’s?” Junhyung’s voice came out from the other line.

“Yes I did.” Hyunseung replied warily, suddenly remembering Junhyung’s simple request from him. “Are you home yet?”

“On the way. I just finished. I don’t think the rest are done with their recording. Where are you?”
Hyunseung gulped. “Uh, well.”

“Did you and Joonkun hyung buy dinner? I’m starving.”

“I’m not…home yet right now.” Hyunseung stammered.

“Where are you?” Something in Junhyung’s voice made Hyunseung feel that he already knew, and that he wasn’t too happy about it.

“I’m at…” He knew he had to say it anyway. “I’m still at Yunji’s place.”

“With the girls?”

“Yunji isn’t home yet, so…”

“I’m on my way there.”