12. We Are Now Approaching Seoul

I Like You The Best

 

Yunji yawned and rubbed her eyes, the morning rays filling the spacious living room of the guesthouse. She shifted to her side and felt her face press up against something warm and hard. She opened her eyes and came face to face with Kikwang’s shoulder. She tried to sit up straight, but the weight of Kikwang’s head on hers, and his arm s around her waist made it almost impossible. “Yah.” She managed to poke at his side. “Yah, wake up.”

“Not yet.” Kikwang groaned at Yunji’s pokes, his eyes not opening, as he flailed his free hand in front of her face. “Five more minutes.”

Yunji moved her face away and squirmed around, causing Kikwang’s arm to loosen its grip around her waist. With this, Yunji finally was able to sit up straight. She looked at the sleeping boy beside her and smiled. The two had stayed up all night, spending more time catching up on how their lives have been for the past years, reminiscing old childhood memories, and spent a couple of hours watching random movies that played on the television, until the two had fallen asleep on the couch.

“Kikwang ah, wake up.” She patted his cheek gently. “You’re going to need to pack your things soon. I just know you took out everything from your luggage.” Kikwang merely shook his head in protest, keeping his eyes tightly shut.

“Shiro.” He muttered. “Don’t want to.” His hold around her waist tightened again, his sleepy state causing him to mistake Yunji as a pillow. He pulled her close against him.

“Yah. Lee Kikwang. Do not make me slap you.” She warned, her hand pushing at his sides, prying away.

“Uh.”

Yunji’s eyes averted behind the sofa, to Dongwoon, who was standing there, toothbrush in hand. “Oh. Hey, good morning.” She greeted casually.

“What’s… Uh.” The youngest could not tear his eyes on the view of Yunji and Kikwang on the couch. “Uh…”

“Give me a sec.” She smiled and turned to face Kikwang again. With a forceful shove, she was able to shake Kikwang into waking up.

“What? What, what?” His eyes shot open. “What?”

“Morning!” Yunji laughed, clapping her hands once. She stood up and straightened her clothes.

“What uh… You and hyung and… Sleeping on the couch and…” Dongwoon was in a small state of shock, unable to form a coherent sentence.

“Oh.” Yunji straightened out her hair with her fingers. “We stayed up watching television, and I guess we just kind of fell asleep. Is everyone else up yet?” Dongwoon shook his head. Yunji picked up her phone from the coffee table and read the time. “It’s only 7? What time are we leaving again, 9?” She looked at Dongwoon, who nodded. She nodded in return and headed to the kitchen, leaving Dongwoon standing there. The maknae looked at the sofa where he had just seen Yunji and Kikwang seemingly cuddling. His hyung had once again fallen asleep, face planted down on the couch.

“They slept together.” He mumbled, sticking his toothbrush in his mouth. “Yunji and Kikwang hyung were on the couch.” Dongwoon walked back to the kitchen, muttering little sentences about the scene he had just witnessed.

 

“Everyone’s here, right?” Doojoon asked, looking back at the passengers inside the van, counting each one of them with his eyes. The van was cruising down the highway for hours, on their way back to Seoul. “I don’t think we can afford to leave anyone in Incheon.”

“Yoseob is not here!” Yoseob exclaimed, his hands covering his mouth. “We left Yoseob!”

“Oh? That’s okay.” Doojoon shrugged and faced front again, putting on his seatbelt. He laughed as Yoseob leaned forward and hit him at the back of his head. “Yoseobah!” He removed his seatbelt and leaned back, trying to hit Yoseob with his hand.

“Hyung, hyung, hyung!” Yoseob was moving his head around, avoiding Doojoon’s slaps. “Joonkun hyung, control your child!” He covered his face and ducked his head on Junhyung’s arm beside him. Their manager kept his eyes on the road, but nudged Doojoon with his elbow,

Junhyung smirked, but remained seated still. He glanced beside him to see his sister asleep, head hanging down. The car turned left, and slowly, Jaeni began to move, her head leaning sideways, on Hyunseung’s shoulder, as Hyunseung himself was asleep and leaning on the window. “Aish.” Junhyung grumbled, putting his hand on Jaeni’s head and maneuvering her so, instead, she leaned on his shoulder. Jaeni remained asleep.

“Jiji put these on.” Kikwang handed a pair of earphones to the girl beside him. She looked a bit confused, but did so anyway. “I am going to introduce you Beast songs.” He said, proud.

“But Jaeni already did that.” Yunji raised an eyebrow and looked at Kikwang’s music player as he browsed through the songs. “It’s not like I’ve never heard your songs before.”

“If so, then why are you not a fan?” There was a childish tone in Kikwang’s voice.

“Do I have to be a fan?” The familiar tune of one of Beast’s song filled her ears. “Mystery?” She looked at him, making a guess. Kikwang nodded in excitement.

“Yes! Neon cheongmal mystery, mystery.” He sang, bobbing his head around just like in their choreography. “Mystery, mystery. Which part are you are in now? Is it the verse yet? Is it my line already? B-b-b-b-break it, oh l-l-l-lady.”

“Is it your verse? Is this your voice?” Yunji laughed and took off one earphone, then putting it in Kikwang’s ear. “I can’t tell.”

“How can you not tell? Oh, oh, this one’s my line, my line! D-d-d-d-daeche wae n-n-naege.” He sang along.

“My line is after that!” Dongwoon suddenly said, pointing at the music player in Kikwang’s hand. Yunji, not having have heard his comment, took Kikwang’s player and began going through the playlists. “Yunji ah.” Dongwoon poked at her shoulder. She looked at him with both her eyebrows raised. “My line.” He repeated.

“The chorus?”

Dongwoon shook his head. “No, no. The, the, the…” He began stuttering. “Ah, the, uh, the line before the chorus.”

“I really don’t know who sings which.” She laughed, shaking her head and taking off the earphone, giving it back to Kikwang. “I think I’m just gonna go to sleep. I always get carsick anyway.”

“We don’t have a neck pillow.” Dongwoon pointed out. “Can you sleep without one? You might hurt your neck.”

“Mmm.” Yunji nodded and poked Kikwang’s arm. “Yah, shoulder.”

“Shoulder!” He repeated with a grin and sat upright. Yunji smiled and slouched slightly, leaning her head on Kikwang’s shoulder and shutting her eyes.

“Ladies and gentlemen.” Doojoon announced in his most formal voice. “We are now approaching Seoul.”