18. “Because I love you.”

I Like You The Best

 

“Changmi?”

Yunji didn’t stop walking, she refused to turn around and face whoever was calling her. She knew who he was; his voice was too familiar to her.

“Changmi, wait.” Jonghyun continued calling out.

“Changmi? Why is he calling you Changmi?” Kikwang was walking right beside Yunji, keeping up with her quickening strides. “Your name is not Changmi. Right? It’s not, right? Your name is Yunji. Isn’t it? That’s why I call you Jiji, not Mimi.” He looked at her, his face confused. “…Right?”

“Park Yunji.”

Not knowing why, and mentally slapping herself for doing so, Yunji stopped.

“Is that really you?” She heard quick footsteps, before she felt someone standing behind her. “Yunji?”

Yunji balled up her fists, to the point that her fingernails dug into her palms. She didn’t want to turn around, but the hand on her shoulder was able to maneuver her. Finally facing him, Yunji brought up her eyes to meet with Jonghyun’s.

“Hey.” He said, his voice soft. “It’s been a while. How have you been?”

“I’ve been… Okay.” Yunji replied after swallowing the lump that formed in . She tried to avert her eyes away from his, but found it impossible.

“I haven’t seen you since…-“

“Jonghyun ah! We need to set up!” One of the producers called out, motioning him to come back. “We need to hook up your guitars to the amps and sound check.”

“You should go.” Yunji spoke up, making Jonghyun look at her again.

“You’ll be watching?” His voice was hopeful.

“Yes she will!” Kikwang spoke up, barely noticing the tension that was between the two. “We invited her, along with Junhyung’s sister.” He turned to Yunji. “Jiji, I think you better go find your seat now, the show’s about to start!” He was giddy. “Watch out for our performance, okay? And Hyunseung told me to tell you that when you see him do…” He held two fingers up in the air and made a motion. “…that! You and Jaeni have to do it too, okay? We’ll do them for you.”

“I guess I better go.” Jonghyun said again. “Catch you later, after the show, Changmi?” And with that, he turned to go. Yunji watches as the guitarist walked towards the backstage area. She gave a small sigh.

“So why was Jonghyun calling you Changmi? It’s not your name, right?” Kikwang suddenly asked, “Your name is Yunji, isn’t it? Omo! Are you under some kind of government protection program? Are you being hunted down? Or are you some kind of secret service agent so you need to change your name? Are you a spy? Woah. Coz that would be cool. Have you ever fired a gun? Have you ever killed anyone? Do you know karate?”

“Kikwang!” Yunji slapped her hand over her friend’s mouth. ”Shut up.” Kikwang instinctively stopped talking, raising both eyebrows. “Ignore it. Forget about it. Go prepare, I’ll look for Jaeni.” She added quietly before removing her hand from Kikwang’s face. She turned her heel and started walking down the hall.

“Jiji!” He called out again, and did his hand motion when he looked at her. He flashed a big, bright smile as he did so.

 

“Where were you?” Jeani asked as Yunji took a seat beside her. “I was walking with Hyunseung oppa and Junhyung oppa, and I turn around and you’re gone.”

“Something…came up.” Yunji replied flatly. “Oh and Kikwang said something about them making some sort of hand gesture? And if we see it, we should do it too.” She explained, immitating what Kikwang showed her.

“That’s cute!” Jaeni said, doing the action as well. “You know what’s weird, unnie? Hyunseung oppa was the one who invited us here, right? But then now he’s ignoring me. Did I do anything to upset him?” Yunji merely shrugged, sinking down in her seat.

Within a few minutes, the hosts came out on stage and introduced the show. Yunji honestly was not tuning in. Something about New Year’s special, and special stagers, live performances, how they were excited, and all that.

The audience roared and the four members of CN Blue took the stage. Yonghwa did some introductions before starting the riff to their first song.

“This!” Jaeni exclaimed, grinning wide and hitting Yunji’s arm. “This is their new song! Intuition. Unnie this is a really great song, you should listen to it!”

Yonghwa began singing the first verse, and Yunji kept her eyes down on the backrest of the seat in front of her. Jaeni was happily singing along, cheering out loud every so often, and waving her banner in the air, despite the fact that it said “JANG HYUNSEUNG”.

 “Please don’t go, go, go. Jaebal ddeonakajima.” Yonghwa sang, going into the second chorus quickly.

“This is daebak!” Jaeni said, looking to her side at Yunji. “Yah! Sit up straight and watch! Maybe after this you’ll be a fangirl like me!” She pulled at Yunji’s arm and she reluctantly sat up.

Yunji looked up at the stage, just as Yonghwa was beginning his rap, her eyes, however, automatically focused on Jonghyun. As if he already knew where she was, his eyes went straight to her, meeting hers. The moment Yonghwa ended his rap, Jonghyun brought his lips to his microphone, although it wasn’t his line, he sang along with Yonghwa, his gaze directly at Yunji.

“Because I love you.”

“Kya!” Jaeni squealed, loud, continuously slapping Yunji’s arm that was on the armrest. “He was looking at you! Did you see that?! He was looking! At you! Right at you, unnie!” The younger of the two was flailing, while Yunji sat still, her eyes unmoving.”

“Jaebal ddeonakajima.” Jonghyun continued singing as his part in the song came in.

Quietly, Yunji stood up and walked down the aisle, and out of the audience area. She was once again backstage, amidst the running producers and artists.

“Yunji unnie! Can you believe it? Do you think he was looking at you? Or maybe it was me! But no it was you, I’m sure!” She hit the arm of the person beside her, only to be surprised that the arm felt nothing like Yunji’s. It was big, rough, and quite hairy. She looked to her side and her eyes widened. “You’re not…Yunji.” She blinked.

Beside her was one of Beast’s manager, Joonkun. He was quite attractive, to say the least, but Jaeni always thought he slight of looked like a derpy version of her brother.

“Where’s Yunji unnie?” She asked, lokking around.

“She left, didn’t you notice?” The manager rubbed at his arm. “What is it with you and Junhyung hitting people? Is it a Yong thing to slap?”

“She left?!” Jaeni completely ignored Joonkun’s question. She was about to bring out her phone, but the boys of Beast walked up the stage, causing the audience to burst into loud cheers. Jaeni cheered along, thinking she would text her friend later, knowing she was fine and she wouldn’t get lost. She held up her banner once again, chanting along with the others.

 

Yunji hung her head low, walking into the lift, out the lobby, and out the building. Tears began to form in her eyes. Rain clouds started covering the sky. The first drop of rain hit her cheek, and as if cueing it, her tears began to fall.