22. That Wouldn't Be The Best Idea

I Like You The Best

 

[Author's Note: Updating again due to the demands of my "children" stargazer and kaseumi-appa. Updates might start coming slower as of next week, since the semester is about to start and my classes are not ideal (i have night classes) but I'll still do my best to post as much as I can.]

 

---

 

 

“Can you believe that?” Jaeni exclaimed, sitting on the edge of Yunji’s bed. “He actually told Hyunseung oppa to stay away from me. Who does he think he is? He’s being such a dad again!”

“Look, maybe he has a point.” Yunj said as she dried her hair with a towel. “You have to try looking at things from his point of view. He’s a brother, your brother, so he’s protective of you. He knows Hyunseung more than you do, he knows all his traits and habits, so maybe there’s something we don’t know.”

“Oh, like, what? Hyunseung oppa’s actually a mass murderer? Or a drug dealer? Or a slave trader?” Jaeni scoffed. “He’s being too overprotective. I wish he would just out. I like Hyunseung oppa.”

“As a fan.”

“I honestly feel it’s more than that. Ever since I actually met him. I have a bigger crush on him now. Who knew he was actually really sweet, and he’s as 4D as he is in the shows that I’ve seen him on.” Jaeni said. “He’s so adorable, it’s frustrating. But…” She paused to tap her chin. “He was so weird today. Like…”

“Like?” Yunji flung the towel over to the small couch near her bed.

“Like, well he was the one who invited us to watch the show, right? Then before the show he was totally ignoring me. Then after the show,” She grabbed one of Yunji’s pillows and gave it a tight hug. “He talked to me a lot. He kept asking questions and he was so random. Then he even made fried Oreos with me. He was being… Not exactly sweet but, I felt like it was something along that line. Do you think he likes me?”

Yunji gave Jaeni a look. A look that was telling Jaeni she had gone delusional. Jaeni laughed a bit.

“Okay, it’s like I’m shooting the stars here, but give me a break. An afternoon making snacks with my biggest celebrity crush? What more could I ask for?” She smiled, remembering how Hyunseung held her wrist, and fed her. “Oh, I know, if he became my boyfriend.”

“That wouldn’t be the best idea.” Yunji said.

“Why not? Coz Junhyung oppa disapproves? He can change his mind, you know. Besides, if our parents approve then it’s not like he can do anything about it.”

“Because.” Yunji sighed. “It’s not good to involve yourself with an idol, especially in terms of relationships. It can get messy, you can end up hurt.”

“Is this coz of your whole scandal with Kikwang oppa?” Jaeni frowned, showing concern to her friend. “You did come here with a big red mark on your face. Did a fan slap you or something?”

“I did get slapped, but I don’t care.” She touched her cheek, and then looked at Jaeni. “Trust me, you don’t want the whole drama of being an idol’s girlfriend.”

“What’s this about, unnie? You sound like you’re speaking from experience.” The realization hit her just as she said it. “Is it?”

Yunji sighed.

“Is it, unnie?”

“Well…” Yunji started to nod, looking down. “Yeah.”

“What?!” Jaeni’s eyes were wide open. “Wait, what? Unnie!” She crawled right up beside Yunji. “What?”

“It’s…”

“If it hurts too much to think about it then…” Jaeni didn’t to be selfish, but a part of her was obviously very curious. Before they got close, Jaeni knew Yunji was into music, but a few months before the got really close, she somehow lost interest. Jaeni never bothered to ask why, but it seemed as if she just discovered the reason.

“I’m sure you know CN Blue.” Yunji began after a few seconds. Jaeni nodded. “Okay.” She sighed. “Let me just say it as simply as I possibly can. I dated Lee Jonghyun.”

“Omo…” Jaeni was listening intently. She had no other words to say.

“It was before they debuted as CN Blue. He was still a trainee back then. We dated, and then, well, we became boyfriend and girlfriend.”

“And then…?”

“As you can see, we’re no longer together.” Yunji continued. “He debuted, he became busy, and he didn’t have the time anymore, so we broke up. That’s why I stopped being so into music. They’d be all over the music shows, and radio stations. It hurt too much for me. I just wanted to forget him. He promised me he wouldn’t leave, even after he came out as an artist.” Yunji grabbed a handful of the sheets in her hand, tears starting to well up her eyes. “I knew it was coming sooner or later, when he said he was going to debut. But I didn’t want to believe it. He promised, and I trusted him. I loved him.”

“Unnie…” Jaeni could feel the hurt in Yunji’s voice.

“But he left. Just like that.” She took a deep breath and held back her tears. “It wasn’t a big dramatic break up. We were civil. We hadn’t been spending time together anyway, so, we just decided to stop trying.”

“You broke up with him?”

“He broke up with me.” She replied, trying to sound normal again. “He said he was sorry, he just couldn’t juggle a relationship with his work. I was too idealistic holding on to his promise. Then… We lost contact ever since.”

Jaeni fell silent. She felt bad for Yunji, she knew her friend still had feelings for Jonghyun, it was too evident in her voice, and the way she looked while telling the story.

“And then now, this whole stupid scandal with Kikwang.” Yunji shook her head. “I just don’t anything to do with idols. It’s too much for me.”

Jaeni could only nod.

“Because of this industry, Kikwang had to leave to train when we were young. He was my best friend, and he just went away. And because of this industry, I lost my first true love. Now you understand why I can’t exactly fan girl with you.”

“I’m sorry, unnie. I wish I knew.” Jaeni was close to tears now.

“Past is past, Jaeni.” Yunji forced on a smile. “I’m in no position to tell you what to do, but I’m your friend, so I do want you to be careful with the decisions you make. Think your feelings over carefully. I don’t want you to get hurt like I did,”