24. You Know How Persistent I Can Get

I Like You The Best

 

[Author's Note: Short, short update! Only around 600 words, I think. Updating because I haven't been able to in so long, and also to transition to the next chapter which I am working on.]

 

---

 

Distracted by the fact that she was trying to zone out every sound she was hearing, and every thought that was daring to get in her head, Yunji failed to notice her phone ringing. Only when she felt it vibrate in her pocket as she hopped out of the subway did she realize that someone was trying to call her. She pulled her phone out and checked the screen. An unknown, yet eerily familiar number was flashing on her screen.

Cautiously, as if something is telling her not to, she picked up. “Hello?”

“Hello?” A voice as burning as his stage codename suggests came on the other line. “Yunji?”

Yunji stopped in her tracks, the deep voice ringing in her head. “Who… Who is this?” She asked, although in her mind, she already knew who the person on the other end was.

“It’s… Jonghyun.” There was a pause before he said his name, and another after, somehow fearing Yunji would hang up after finding out who he was. Surprising both of them, Yunji stayed on the line. “Hello? Yunji, are you still there?”

“What…” Yunji cleared , composing herself. “What made you call? Where did you get my number?”

“I asked it to your friend, backstage at the show.” He explained simply. “Please don’t be upset with her. I just wanted to get in touch again.”

“Get in touch again.” It was more as if she were repeating his statement rather than asking it. “We stopped being in touch because you didn’t have time.” There was a tinge of spitefulness in her voice. She heard Jonghyun sigh.

“I know things between us never ended on the right foot. I regret that, Yunji. Let’s… Let’s just…” It was obvious that he was finding the right words to say. “Let’s go out for coffee, catch up or something. Please?”

“Why should I say yes?”

“Because you know how persistent I can get.” He was nowhere in sight, but Yunji could practically hear him grinning, as if getting weirdly nostalgic. “Come on, Yunji, please?”

“Forget it…-“

“I’m not taking no for an answer. We don’t need to talk about the things we don’t want to talk about. Please, just give me a chance. We’re friends, right?”

Yunji nearly choked on her breath. She didn’t know if she should be happy that Jonghyun was trying to get in contact with her again, or angry that he was only doing so now, almost years after they stopped talking. “I’ll… get back to you on that. Bye.” Without another word, she hung up.

She stared at her phone for a moment until the screen went black. Sighing and refusing to think for a moment, she walked up her apartment. She came in to see Jaeni flopped over the couch, watching another broadcast of a music show. “Jaeni, did you give my number to Jonghyun?” She wasted no time beating around the bush.

Jaeni froze, then turned the television off. “I did but I… I didn’t know you two dated at that time and I, I just…”

Yunji shook her head. “I’m not angry. He called. He said he wanted to meet up.”

“What did you say?” The younger asked cautiously. “Did you say yes?”

“I said I’d get back to him.” Yunji shrugged.  “I honestly don’t know. With all the stress of… Well, Kikwang’s scandal, plus Dongwoon’s scandal in school. Ah… My head hurts.” She rubbed her forehead and walked towards her room. “Jaeni ah, I’m gonna take a nap first. Wake me up before dinner so I can cook.” She closed her door quietly.

Jaeni stared at her friend’s closed door for a moment, before slipping her shoes and jacket on and quietly going out the apartment.